PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Question(s) for the Pacer Nation

Bball
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Has Pacer management written off this season?

Is it only about damage control and dollars at this point?

Is there a logical reason that a shorthanded team has not extended a 10 day contract to someone to at least be there so Foster/Pollard/Harrison didn't have to over-extend themselves in a blowout win/loss, let alone maybe give these guys a short breather here and there.

I know some people were excited when we let Samaki Walker go before the deadline where his contract would have become guaranteed. I don't know why anyone was excited about it... it thinned our roster and last I checked concession prices didn't lower nor did ticket prices... and the door giveaways/promotions don't seem to be any more exciting or expensive than normal.

For those of you that put a premium on making the playoffs, are you "OK" with the Pacers not addressing this? We've got Croshere out, Pollard held together with duct tape, JO has been out and is far from being back to form or a positive factor so far in his return, even Freddie is out. Harrison is injured and playing thru it. And reality finally caught up with fantasy and Bender is history. Yet, even in blowouts those that are suited up are having to play and risk further injury and wearing themselves out... Surely, that can't be good for the end of the season push for the playoffs or making any noise in the playoffs. Won't they be out of gas?

And with Freddie out there's (apparently) a shortage at SG (Tho for the life of me I don't know why Sarunas couldn't resume PG duties and AJ slide to SG and Tinsley start).

Is it possible there's been a change in philosophy at the top and that the playoffs aren't the overriding goal any longer.... or is it that TPTB think, even shorthanded, the Pacers will still make the playoffs so why 'waste' the Simons' money on a player whose only impact on the team would be to rest the core in a blowout or play a backup 'disaster' C/F role. But if it is the last part then doesn't that imply that TPTB don't have any real thought of advancing?

Or have they decided to tighten the rotation anyway and the thinned roster gives them a good excuse. Deciding to tighten the rotation would explain Sarunas' gluing to the bench.

The Simons are only 2nd and 4th on the billionaire list in Indiana so perhaps they need to tighten their belts and letting the team remain short-handed and overusing players and risking more injury problems is a way to do that....

Maybe they want to catch Bill Cook for that #1 spot?

-Bball

Unclebuck
03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
No

Moses
03-25-2006, 09:36 AM
No
QFT

Seed
03-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Well....yes to some extent.
My guess is that they are trying to catch 2 birds:
1. Stabilize the best rotation they can get for the playoffs, thus bringing back Tins, JO ASAP to full action.
2. Raise AJ, S-Jax, Tins market value, as they are primary candidates for trades.

Anthem
03-25-2006, 11:19 AM
Hard to say.

With JO back, I'm not as worried. Still, I wouldn't mind picking up a guy on a ten-day. It's not a lot of money. Of course, for that we don't get a lot of player, either.

Hicks
03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
No, I don't buy the Q for Saturday. Getting to the playoffs is to them what winning a title is to us.

D-BONE
03-25-2006, 11:38 AM
If I were goint to bring somebody in at this point, I'd think about a perimeter player due to the SG situation. Certainly, a serious injury to anybody would cause problems. I'm guessing Pollard will be able to play at least at times come post-season. Assuming we don't tank and not make it. Seems unlikely given who we're jockeying for position with. So any SG prospects out there for a 10 day?

bulletproof
03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Getting to the playoffs is to them what winning a title is to us.

Ludicrous.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-25-2006, 12:08 PM
Or possibly they're thinking that with the starters back from injuries, we're sitting about as well as we have all season. Pollard, Croshere, and Jones aren't starters. Plus there's always a cost to bringing a guy in for 10 days, not a monetary cost, but one where he has to be ready to go and contribute. There's always a risk he'll be a liability.

Usually I think this type of decision is one of last resort, depending on who might be available to really help us. If you need a 10-day guy to play a lot, maybe he doesn't help you much. After all, there is a reason he's not already under contract. And if he doesn't help you, why do you bother?

Aw Heck
03-25-2006, 12:14 PM
At this point I think TPTB are just hoping for the best. They aren't expecting to compete for or win any championships this season. I think/hope they see that this team is a mess right now and some changes definitely need to be made in the offseason.

I don't know how any of us could expect to compete for a championship either, after what has happened this season.

D-BONE
03-25-2006, 12:38 PM
I think/hope they see that this team is a mess right now and some changes definitely need to be made in the offseason.

I, too, hope this is the conclusion they have drawn/will draw.

Bball
03-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Answering my own question...

I think they have changed the philosophy a little and feel they probably make the playoffs anyway but rather than add a 'emergency' player to take some load off they'd prefer to save the money and see what the existing team is made of. Which leads me to think that the 'championship' window is officially closed as far as management is concerned for this group and we'll be seeing some changes this summer. We're seeing a player/heart evaluation period.

-Bball

Arcadian
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
If management thought signing a guy on a ten day contract would keep open our championship "window" we need new management.

With Ron we had championship talent although we would have never won anything. I'm glad he is gone but when he was here you could fool yourself in to thinking that we were a championship calibler team.

BlueNGold
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM

I think they have changed the philosophy a little and feel they probably make the playoffs anyway but rather than add a 'emergency' player to take some load off they'd prefer to save the money and see what the existing team is made of. Which leads me to think that the 'championship' window is officially closed as far as management is concerned for this group and we'll be seeing some changes this summer. We're seeing a player/heart evaluation period.

-Bball

Yes, there will definitely be changes to this team over the summer. Even if this team picks up some rhythm, significant changes will be made....but I would be surprised to see a block buster deal with JO involved. Everyone except Granger, Foster and Harrison could be on the block. I hope Jax is somehow dealt in a trade bringing a quality SG.

Aw Heck
03-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Which leads me to think that the 'championship' window is officially closed as far as management is concerned for this group and we'll be seeing some changes this summer. We're seeing a player/heart evaluation period.

I agree with this. I don't think anyone is thinking that this group of players is good enough, even when healthy, to seriously contend for a title. I have a feeling the roster is going to be overhauled over the next couple seasons. And I'd welcome it, because it needs to be done.

I think that if Garnett is put onto the market that the Pacers will get involved. If Minnesota would accept a Pacers package that didn't include Granger, the Pacers seriously consider it.

And despite all the love Bird has for him, I have a feeling that Peja will be signed and traded in the offseason...

:zip:

Shade
03-25-2006, 04:17 PM
I have no clue what TPTB are thinking anymore. :whoknows:

D-BONE
03-25-2006, 04:52 PM
And despite all the love Bird has for him, I have a feeling that Peja will be signed and traded in the offseason...

:zip:

Whatever works best strategically. Sign and trade or letting him walk. I honestly don't think he's a difference maker despite being the best or one of the best shooters in the league.

D-BONE
03-25-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes, there will definitely be changes to this team over the summer. Even if this team picks up some rhythm, significant changes will be made....but I would be surprised to see a block buster deal with JO involved. Everyone except Granger, Foster and Harrison could be on the block. I hope Jax is somehow dealt in a trade bringing a quality SG.

Well, if JO, Granger, Foster, and Harrison are all unlikely to go, I question whether we can really get anything of significant quality to really shake things up in return. AJ, Tins, Jack, and even Peja (if S & T)? I'm not sure they can command that much. Could that change over the rest of this season?

Seed
03-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Well, if JO, Granger, Foster, and Harrison are all unlikely to go, I question whether we can really get anything of significant quality to really shake things up in return. AJ, Tins, Jack, and even Peja (if S & T)? I'm not sure they can command that much. Could that change over the rest of this season?

Actually it is hard to imagine we can get both a 1st class PG and a 1st class SG. I would settle for a PG that can play it on both sides of the court and stay healthy. I would also try to get a solid backup SG in the deal, and prolly make Fred a starter. Sarunas can act as backup PG, and maybe he can become this combo guard Jay is dreaming about one day. I'd try to keep Peja. I have faith in him.
Anyway, I'm not through hoping for a miracle this season. Who knows?

Bball
03-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Whatever works best strategically. Sign and trade or letting him walk. I honestly don't think he's a difference maker despite being the best or one of the best shooters in the league.

What Peja is tho is a player who moves well without the ball, rarely takes a 'bad' shot, makes quick decisions, seemingly has a level head and good attitude, and is unselfish on the court. He's also better than advertised with his all-around game.

Those are all things the Pacers lack in several players... I won't mention any names because I don't want to call out Sjax, Freddie, JO, and Tinsley... and sometimes AJ.

-Bball

D-BONE
03-26-2006, 08:45 AM
What Peja is tho is a player who moves well without the ball, rarely takes a 'bad' shot, makes quick decisions, seemingly has a level head and good attitude, and is unselfish on the court. He's also better than advertised with his all-around game.

Those are all things the Pacers lack in several players... I won't mention any names because I don't want to call out Sjax, Freddie, JO, and Tinsley... and sometimes AJ.

-Bball

Yes, this I cannot deny, which puts me right about on the fence about Peja. Maybe the make or break for me will be how he fares in the playoffs.