PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Notebook

Will Galen
03-25-2006, 05:24 AM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060325/SPORTS04/603250441

By Mike Wells
mike.wells@indystar.com

Indiana Pacers shooting guard Fred Jones will spend time on the sidelines nursing his injured left thumb.

"He got cracked pretty hard the other night in the Chicago game," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said.

Jones originally injured his thumb against the New York Knicks on March 7. He missed three straight games before returning March 13.

Jones has struggled from the field despite wearing a brace. He has shot 29 percent from the field since returning to the lineup.

"You could tell it was affecting his game offensively just because so many things involved with shooting the ball happen with your left hand," Carlisle said. "Rhythmically, he just wasn't the same over the last week or 10 days."
The loss of Jones means Carlisle will have to find a backup shooting guard. Carlisle said he may play Jamaal Tinsley and Anthony Johnson in the backcourt together or use Sarunas Jasikevicius -- who is getting limited playing time as the third point guard -- at shooting guard.
-------------

SIGH! Sarunas at shooting guard!

I would think that we have seen enough of Sarunas at shooting guard. He's not really effective there. Since Carlisle is using AJ and Tinsel at time as shooting guards it would make sense to play Sarunas at point and let AJ or Tinsel play shooting guard.

Even better when using two point guards would be to let them run the point interchangeably. In other words the same guy wouldn't bring the ball up the court each time.

Dungy visits Saunders

Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy was at the Detroit Pistons' shootaround Friday morning to see coach Flip Saunders. Dungy and Saunders both attended the University of Minnesota.

"We try to talk a little bit, keep in touch every now and then, follow each other's career," Saunders said. "It's a unique situation. You have two guys who played with each other, went four years together."

The Pistons have already wrapped up the Central Division. Their final goal in the regular season is to wrap up home-court advantage throughout the playoffs and try not to look too far ahead.

Dungy knows about trying to maintain momentum heading into the playoffs. The Colts started 13-0, only to lose to the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs.
"That's going to be the toughest thing for these guys," Dungy said.

O'Neal comes off bench

Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal, playing his second game since returning from his torn left groin, came off the bench again Friday.

O'Neal eventually will be back in the starting lineup, Carlisle said, but the Pacers don't want to overload him with minutes early after he missed 24 straight games.

He checked in with 4:07 left in the first quarter and played 29 minutes, scoring eight points and grabbing seven rebounds.

DeS
03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
Since Carlisle is using AJ and Tinsel at time as shooting guards it would make sense to play Sarunas at point and let AJ or Tinsel play shooting guard.
Even better when using two point guards would be to let them run the point interchangeably. In other words the same guy wouldn't bring the ball up the court each time.

I also do not understand it quite well. AJ is playing SG like game (or Jax like lately, judging by scorebox). He's also more physicaly fit and can defend SG's better. Why not to try him at SG starting from second qtr (he is a Starting PG, so he is not replacible :nono: in 1 qtr. even with Tins)?

Anthem
03-25-2006, 10:20 AM
I like guards that can shoot.

SoupIsGood
03-25-2006, 12:03 PM
I wish we would start AJ and Tins at the Guards. AJ is so much better than Jax.

BlueNGold
03-25-2006, 01:29 PM
I wish we would start AJ and Tins at the Guards. AJ is so much better than Jax.

SG is the weakest position on this team. First, let's not get AJ confused with a starting shooting guard. He can make some open jumpers, but not enough to earn the "shooting" portion of the position's label. He is a good backup PG, and that's it. If you want to progress in the playoffs, he better not be in your starting lineup at either position.

Jax is a better SG than AJ on average, but that's not saying much. You lose if you are relying on Jax to stretch the defense. Jax is at his best when driving to the bucket. He often gets fouled and shoots a decent pct. from the line. Due to his inconsistent shot, poor decisions on the floor...resulting in more than his share of turnovers and his obvious immaturity, Jax is definitely a below average starting SG in the league. The Pacers would be better off with Fred Jones, if he would only stay healthy. I hesitate to say that, however, because Freddie is undersized and has been posted up by bigger guards. The truth is, we need to trade Jax and one or more players to upgrade the SG position. We are really fine at PG.

SoupIsGood
03-25-2006, 01:37 PM
SG is the weakest position on this team. First, let's not get AJ confused with a starting shooting guard. He can make some open jumpers, but not enough to earn the "shooting" portion of the position's label. He is a good backup PG, and that's it. If you want to progress in the playoffs, he better not be in your starting lineup at either position.

Jax is a better SG than AJ on average, but that's not saying much. You lose if you are relying on Jax to stretch the defense. Jax is at his best when driving to the bucket. He often gets fouled and shoots a decent pct. from the line. Due to his inconsistent shot, poor decisions on the floor...resulting in more than his share of turnovers and his obvious immaturity, Jax is definitely a below average starting SG in the league. The Pacers would be better off with Fred Jones, if he would only stay healthy. I hesitate to say that, however, because Freddie is undersized and has been posted up by bigger guards. The truth is, we need to trade Jax and one or more players to upgrade the SG position. We are really fine at PG.

Jax is terrible. AJ is the better two if only because he would play a smart game.

Eindar
03-25-2006, 01:41 PM
If I see Sarunas get minutes at SG in the same game where AJ gets minutes at PG, I may vomit.

Seed
03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
If I see Sarunas get minutes at SG in the same game where AJ gets minutes at PG, I may vomit.

Wow. and here I thought AJ was our leading PG for the moment:

Player: AJ - Tins
games: 60 - 33
FG%: 44.3 - 41.7
3P%: 32.2 - 25.0
FT%: 76.8 - 64.9
reb: 2.2 - 3.2
apg: 4.3 - 4.5
t/o: 1.52 - 2.45
spg: 0.75 - 1.12
mpg: 25.8 - 26.4
ppg: 9.2 - 10.0

Eindar
03-25-2006, 08:08 PM
Wow. and here I thought AJ was our leading PG for the moment:

Player: AJ - Tins
games: 60 - 33
FG%: 44.3 - 41.7
3P%: 32.2 - 25.0
FT%: 76.8 - 64.9
reb: 2.2 - 3.2
apg: 4.3 - 4.5
t/o: 1.52 - 2.45
spg: 0.75 - 1.12
mpg: 25.8 - 26.4
ppg: 9.2 - 10.0

What I'm saying is that if Sarunas gets minutes, they better be at PG, because he's TERRIBLE as a SG. Johnson, meanwhile, plays PG like a SG.

D-BONE
03-25-2006, 08:23 PM
I'd say we've got a general area of need in the backcourt across the board. I would rate our overall talent in that area as average at best. To say we have issues at SG (accurate) and not as PG seems incomplete.

Unclebuck
03-25-2006, 09:54 PM

Why?

I think AJ is the better player, the better point guard and the better shooting guard

Jermaniac
03-25-2006, 10:01 PM
Yeah hopefully Sarunas doesnt have to play at all. That would work out for nice.