PDA

View Full Version : Where the #$%& are my glasses??

ChicagoJ
03-22-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm not real popular 'round here tonight. I got home from work, took out my disposable contacts, threw them away and opened up my glasses case.

Empty!!

I've been turning over everything in the house trying to find them. I guess that makes me "crabby".

So if you've seen them, let me know.

(Perhaps my hero Chuck Person ate them - seems he's eaten about everything lately.)

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 11:27 PM
I hate when that happens! Toss the contacts and I'm suddenly blind till I find my glasses..... and realize I broke em!

Fireball Kid
03-23-2006, 12:24 AM
Every once in a while, I have to tighten the screws on my glasses our they just fall right out. I hate when that happens. Without my glasses, I pretty much cant see a damn thing!

And no, I wont even bother with contact lenses!!

Mourning
03-23-2006, 01:27 AM
Every once in a while, I have to tighten the screws on my glasses our they just fall right out. I hate when that happens. Without my glasses, I pretty much cant see a damn thing!

And no, I wont even bother with contact lenses!!

I used to play Bball with glasses on, thank god, not anymore now.

Suaveness
03-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Ok so those people with contacts, help me out here. I haven't been to go home, so I can't see an optomotrist. I started wearing contacts in early January, and after a week, my eyes started turning red. So I don't know what the problem is. It didn't actually hurt at all though. Is it the contacts or the solution?

Raskolnikov
03-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Well, Suave, I don't know about your particular case, but telling my history with contacts might help plus it's a very interesting story on itself. I've been meaning to tell you guys about it for a long time.

Here goes.

I started wearing contacts when I was about 14 years old. The first 3 or 4 years I had no significant problems but when I hit college the misery began. I remember it very well, like it was only 2 or 3 years ago: it was in a chemistry class and my eyes were hurting so much (stupid power point presentations) I had to leave class and hurry home to get them *****es out of my eyes.

For about a half year I couldn't wear any contacts anymore. I had to use my glasses and I truly hate wearing glasses. Now, since about a year ago, I'm back to wearing contacts, but only on occasional times: when I do sports, or just during the day, never longer than 10 hours though and mostly I have to take a day off every once in a while. My eyes just can't cope that well anymore with the lenses.

Moral of this (true) story? Even though it is the case that, eventually, as you get older, you won't be able to wear contacts anymore, there are many ways of postponing that hell of glasses. I strongly recommand you don't wear them any longer than 10 hours a day or that you, whenever you feel your eyes get irritated with the contacts, take them out. Less TV/computer won't hurt either (and if you do watch TV/computer, lots of blinking has to be done). Generally I can also feel my eyes cope with the contacts much better if I'm outside in the fresh air.

Of course your personal set of eyes will largely determine how you'll deal with contacts. Some people have the 'talent' to cope with them very well, others don't. For instance, I have very dry eyes, which is very, very bad if you want to use contacts (eye drops help in my case). However I do think the general advice above will prolongue your happy marriage with contact lenses.

Hope this helped. :cool:

Raskolnikov
03-23-2006, 07:18 AM
I used to play Bball with glasses on, thank god, not anymore now.
And how must he feel now when he reads things like this?

Looks aren't everything, Mourning.

Gyron
03-23-2006, 08:24 AM
I had lasik a year and half ago.

I love it. No more glasses or contacts. The surgery was completely painless and over in minutes.

I have better than 20/20 vision now.

I can remember looking many a days for my glasses. I feel for you Jay.

Doug
03-23-2006, 10:04 AM
So if you've seen them, let me know.

They're on top of your head.

ChicagoJ
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM
I wish.

They're not at the office either.

:censored:

BTW, Suave,

I wear disposables because my eyes had problems with the cleaning chemicals. We tried heat-cleaning my daily wear contacts in pure saline (no chemicals) and that didn't work, either.

So I went to the disposables - the ones I have I put in, wear for a month (sleep in them) and then pitch them. No handling, no chemicals, no problem.

I usually just wear my glasses for a week before I put the next pair in.

I can't tell if Lasik is in my future.

Since86
03-23-2006, 10:10 AM
Ok so those people with contacts, help me out here. I haven't been to go home, so I can't see an optomotrist. I started wearing contacts in early January, and after a week, my eyes started turning red. So I don't know what the problem is. It didn't actually hurt at all though. Is it the contacts or the solution?

Most likely neither. It's probably not washing your hands before you put them in.

That's always what happens if I'm in a hurry and dont, and it burns like a *****.

Natston
03-23-2006, 10:45 AM
So I went to the disposables - the ones I have I put in, wear for a month (sleep in them) and then pitch them. No handling, no chemicals, no problem.

That's what I pretty much do, as a matter of fact I'm on my glasses week right now. :laugh:

btowncolt
03-23-2006, 10:52 AM
I wish.

BTW, Suave,

I wear disposables because my eyes had problems with the cleaning chemicals. We tried heat-cleaning my daily wear contacts in pure saline (no chemicals) and that didn't work, either.

Lasik is definitely in my future.

I used to use the normal soft contacts. Take 'em out every night, clean 'em once a month.

But a couple years ago, my eyes started having a strange reaction. Finally figured out it was the contacts. Apparently, I've been wearing contacts for so long that my eyes finally started developing a "resistance" to the proteins that build up naturally on lenses.

I tried going to monthlys and even weeklys, but after one day, my eyes can't take the same pair. So now I have to sparingly use the uber-expensive "Wear one day and throw away" kind.

It's just not worth the expense over a couple years, when I could have paid about the same for Lasik.

Gyron
03-23-2006, 12:36 PM
You won't regret the Lasik.

Its awesome.

btowncolt
03-23-2006, 12:41 PM
You won't regret the Lasik.

Its awesome.

But they cut my eye. I can't get over that.

Gyron
03-23-2006, 02:24 PM
They give you valium ahead of time, you won't even care after they give you that.

I was worried about the same thing.

You also get two more to take that day so you can sleep. They want you to sleep for about 8 hours after the surgery.

The whole operation was only about a minute and thrity seconds per eye.

btowncolt
03-23-2006, 02:28 PM
They give you valium ahead of time, you won't even care after they give you that.

I was worried about the same thing.

You also get two more to take that day so you can sleep. They want you to sleep for about 8 hours after the surgery.

The whole operation was only about a minute and thrity seconds per eye.

Hmm.

When I can afford it, I might do some research into it then.

I've gotten pretty tired of contacts and glasses.

Los Angeles
03-23-2006, 02:38 PM
My sister was nearly "legally blind" most of her life. She couldn't see the LCD numbers on her nightstand alarm clock from her bed. She couldn't see leaves on trees, just one big green mass. She had coke-bottle glasses.

She got the lazer thing done and walked home without the aid of glasses.

The procedure cost a couple thousand dollars, and she estimates that she spent $1,000 a year on her eyes before that over the course of 20 years or so.

The wierdest thing is that she still gets emotional from time to time when she sees something that she wouldn't have seen before, even with her glasses. She was over at our house a few weeks ago and saw her first hummingbird. When a second showed up, and it was clearly a brown female with a green male, she got so excited that she was in tears. In a small way, it's like a second childhood for her.

Gyron
03-23-2006, 02:55 PM
One suggestion when you do go to have the surgery.

You can save decent amount of money by using the flex plan offered at most companies.

They take the money out of your paycheck, pre-tax, which I think would save most people about 30%.

I paid $1600 total, but with my flex I think I saved about $600 that I would have paid in taxes on my paycheck.(so the surgery probably only really cost me about $1000 estimated after tax.)

And the additional benefit to that is you can start saving when you plan starts, lets say January, and have your surgery in February even though your money isn't all in the account yet. They just keep taking out the money throughout the year until it takes out the total that you had planned. Just make sure you plan to take out enough to pay for the surgery.

The only other expenses I had was $20(copay) for the valuim, Probably $50 on preservative free eye drops(over the first 3 or 4 months), and a new pair of nonprescription sunglasses. I did pay like $125 for those, but I wanted to make sure I had good UV protection for my new investments.

I only wore glasses but I figured the payback for me was about 4-5 years versus what I would have spent on glasses and prescription sunglasses.

I can't imagine what I would have saved if I would have been using contacts.

ChicagoJ
03-23-2006, 03:11 PM
My only drawback is that I recently had an eyedoctor put some drops in my eyes and I had a bad reaction (almost passed out). So i'm a bit scared about that.

I have the same reaction to needles - my body just doesn't deal well with shocks like that. There's a medical name for it, but Jay's_Wife@Section204 just tells me that its a codeword for "wimp."

Gyron
03-23-2006, 03:33 PM
I used to hate putting eye drops in my eyes, but after having the surgery and having to put drops in my eyes every four hours while awake for a few weeks, you just get used to it. It actually feels good after a while. The cold drops feel good on the eye.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna go put some in my eyes right now, my eyes feel a little dry because of allergies today.

ChicagoJ
03-23-2006, 03:36 PM
Regular drops I'm okay with. This was a medicated drop to force my pupils to dilate as part of the examination.

Needless to say, that was my only experience with that eye doctor.

The "puff test" works just fine, IMO. I've never passed out from that.

Suaveness
03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
I wish.

BTW, Suave,

The ones I have are 2-4 weeks, where I take them off each day. So I'm not sure, I guess it just depends...which is why I probably won't know until I talk to an optomotrist

Suaveness
03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Most likely neither. It's probably not washing your hands before you put them in.

That's always what happens if I'm in a hurry and dont, and it burns like a *****.

I'm pretty sure I was careful about washing my hands everytime.

Seed
03-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Here's to all of us glasses slaves :buddies:
:nerd:

Will Galen
03-24-2006, 02:40 AM
My sister was nearly "legally blind" most of her life. She couldn't see the LCD numbers on her nightstand alarm clock from her bed. She couldn't see leaves on trees, just one big green mass. She had coke-bottle glasses.

She got the lazer thing done and walked home without the aid of glasses.

The procedure cost a couple thousand dollars, and she estimates that she spent $1,000 a year on her eyes before that over the course of 20 years or so.

The wierdest thing is that she still gets emotional from time to time when she sees something that she wouldn't have seen before, even with her glasses. She was over at our house a few weeks ago and saw her first hummingbird. When a second showed up, and it was clearly a brown female with a green male, she got so excited that she was in tears. In a small way, it's like a second childhood for her.

A feel good story. Thanks for posting it, I love feel good stories!

03-24-2006, 04:54 AM
I have no glasses! :devil:

Raskolnikov
03-24-2006, 05:33 AM
I have no glasses! :devil:
:kicknuts:

Shade
03-25-2006, 12:21 PM
:kicknuts:

If he wore glasses, he woulda seen that coming. :devil:

Robobtowncolt
07-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I thought that Lasik/contacts conversation in the other thread seemed familiar.....

Slick Pinkham
07-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I wore contacts without issues for about 15 years and then they started getting really irritating. I tried different brands and no luck.

Turns out the eye doc says many people at about age 40 stop producing nearly the same amount of tears they have in the past.

I told the eye doc that I am a Pacers fan, so I can't be short in the tears department.

:rimshot:

Anyway, he said I would either have to stick with glasses or go with eye drops regualarly (every couple of hours). That seemed like too much hassle, so I'm back to glasses.

Bball
07-17-2007, 10:51 AM
My only drawback is that I recently had an eyedoctor put some drops in my eyes and I had a bad reaction (almost passed out). So i'm a bit scared about that.

I have the same reaction to needles - my body just doesn't deal well with shocks like that. There's a medical name for it, but Jay's_Wife@Section204 just tells me that its a codeword for "wimp."

I would think the Valium would lessen the chances of that greatly.

I haven't had the procedure but it is tempting...

-Bball