PDA

View Full Version : Team Play

OTD
03-22-2006, 02:22 PM
Is it just me or does anyone eles see, the team starts out playing team ball. And around the 2nd quarter Jackson will get the ball with 10 or more seconds, and just holds it and then trys to go one on one. Never looking for anyone eles. After that it seems the whole team just quits. And then there is a blow out. When the Pacers play 5 man basketball they are very tough. But when they don't they stink. Sure hope they can dump SJ this summer. When he is on he is very good but when he is off he is very bad. A good point guard would not hurt either.

Raskolnikov
03-22-2006, 02:27 PM
When the Pacers play 5 man basketball they are very tough. But when they don't they stink.
This goes for any NBA team IMO.

Some teams know how to hide this better than the Pacers because they have that one extraordinary good individual player (Lakers, Cavs). But in the end, they'll still loose as well.

beast23
03-22-2006, 04:16 PM
You seem to lay it on Jackson. He gets selfish and that one incident breaks down the whole team.

I really don't think that is the case at all. I believe the Pacers, like any other team, suffer from "selfish" possessions sporadically throughout the game.

There's nothing wrong with that when a gross mismatch is being exploited. Unfortunately, with the Pacers, that doesn't tend to be the case. It's just a single player, usually a guard it seems, that suddenly decides that his personal needs are more important than the game plan.

Then there are other times, notably the last play of a 1st, 2nd or 3rd quarter, when one of our guards always seems to hold the ball until making a move to get himself the last shot of the quarter. I've come to believe that these particular incidents are by Rick's design.

But by no means do I lay the blame on a single player. But it does seem that most of the incidents of selfishness occur among our guards.

I really wish that more of our players would approach our offense like Peja. On the perimeter, take it if you've got it. Otherwise, pass it off. On the interior, only force it if you appear to have an advantage; otherwise pass it off or take it back out outside. And be willing to put forth your best effort defensively and around the boards, regardless of your abilities.

As far as I'm concerned Peja SHOULD be a little more selfish with his perimeter opportunities. And quite frankly, our guards need to get their heads out of their behinds and look for ways to set up open perimeter shots for Peja. He should be our "designated" shooter of choice on the perimeter.