PDA

View Full Version : March 22nd Question(s) for the Pacer Nation

Bball
03-22-2006, 03:48 AM
Does this team deserve to make the playoffs right now? Would not making the playoffs send a message that needs to be sent to management, coaches and players?

Or is there time to flip a switch and this team actually become dangerous for the playoffs... and is that really good in the long run? ...Or would that make them and us fat, dumb and happy? Simple fool's gold to guarantee minimal changes for next year when the team needs an overhaul?

Without major changes can this team be considered a contender not only next year but in the next few years?

-Bball

Kstat
03-22-2006, 04:20 AM
Put it this way: Saying you don't deserve to make it is the same as saying the Bulls DO deserve to make it.... :laugh:

That's way more laughable.

D-BONE
03-22-2006, 07:17 AM
They won't make it playing like they have lately despite the abject mediocrity of the Bucks and Sixers. Can they really turn it on? Is JO really the panacea? Yes, it's the return of a talented player, but it doesn't look to be about talent, but rather a team that is flat-out lost and in free-fall.

The Indy Star mentioned AJ using the word "embarrasing" 7 times during a post-game interview. I'm downright embarrased by their lack of intensity nd effort. I think this has gone on long enough and I for one say break this thing down in the summer regardless of if we have a brief hot streak going into the playoffs. That would be a flash in the pan IMO. I think if we play our best we don't get past the 2nd round anyway.

This team if flawed chemistry-wise and will never be a contender for anything but underachieving. And if it's deemed that the coaching staff is part of the issue, well send them packing, too. This is just unacceptable effort and performance.

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 08:31 AM
Yes. We've been beat down by injuries and psycho-man, and we're still going to make it. We freaking deserve every last bit of the playoffs.

ChicagoJ
03-22-2006, 11:11 AM
Yes. We've been beat down by injuries and psycho-man, and we're still going to make it. We freaking deserve every last bit of the playoffs.

In spite of all that, we're hanging in at 0.500 and in the playoff race.

We may be limping to the finish line, but really, that's to be expected with all the injuries, distractions, shorthanded lineups, turmoil, etc.

The two players that were carrying us a while ago (Granger, Harrison) seem to have smacked into the "rookie wall" yet again. They're just not playing well and this team, especially when short-handed or when Stephen Jackson plays like the turnover prone, poor-shooting Stephen Jackson (in other words, almost every night), relies on their "spark" too much.

This team will look a lot different next season. We said that a year ago, but far too many of you believed the lie that Ron's return was all that team needed. Now that we've actually played out the end of that scenario (thank God), there is real reason for optimism for next season's revamped Pacers.

Kegboy
03-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Unless we somehow made it to the Finals (:lmao: ), Bird's gonna make changes regardless. Therefore, we need everyone as healthy as possible for as long as possible, to really nail down who needs to stay and who needs to go. The pressure cooker that is the NBA playoffs can go a long way in such an evaluation.

As an example, we not only need to see how Peja plays off of JO, but how he handles pressure situations. Yes, he has played well, but, right or wrong, the albatross around his neck is he chokes. I want to see him match up against a Richard Jefferson or LeBron James over a series before we decide to re-sign him for a significant amount of money.

Jose Slaughter
03-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Unless we somehow made it to the Finals (:lmao: ), Bird's gonna make changes regardless.

Exactly! All you need to ask is.....Do you think Larry Bird is happy with this team?

To steal a line from Sir Charles... Larry Bird is rollin' over in his grave!

beast23
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
The number one goal for the Pacers this summer is to extend Peja's contract.

I don't think that missing the playoffs could have any possible positive affect on that effort. It is possible that it would have a negative affect, and that Peja might opt out of his contract to sign with "a winner".

Make the playoffs, despite having suffered through another season of many injuries. Help Peja conclude that, with a healthy lineup and a summer acquisition or two, that the Pacers can be right back into the thick of it in the Eastern Conference.