PDA

View Full Version : This team has quit...again

Shade
03-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, at least until JO comes back.

Once again, I ask...does anyone disagree?

Southside_Pacer
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
The Indiana Pacers

United to play .500 basketball.

Evan_The_Dude
03-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Well look at the bright side... Saras played...

Bball
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
The Indiana Pacers - One Goal...
The playoffs.

...Well, if it's not too much trouble...

-Bball

Aw Heck
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM

And amazingly enough, the Pacers didn't win! I thought Saras playing was the cure-all for this team!

I'm shocked. Simply shocked.

Shade
03-21-2006, 10:15 PM
The playoffs.

-Bball

Yeah, can we put that "One Goal" **** to rest now? Unless the goal was to destroy the franchise and play .500 ball. We've accomplished that magnificently.

Jermaniac
<<<<<<<<<<<< BACK SOON SHADE, BACK SOON. DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS, The Savior Is coming back.

Shade

...and the Pacers suffer their third-worst loss of the season.

piksi
03-21-2006, 10:16 PM
I would not say that the team has quit. The way - it is constructed - .500 is all You can get. When JO comes back - little above .500

Shade
03-21-2006, 10:16 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<< BACK SOON SHADE, BACK SOON. DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS, The Savior Is coming back.

God, I hope so. :pray:

Shade
03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
I would not say that the team has quit. The way - it is constructed - .500 is all You can get. When JO comes back - little above .500

Oh, I agree the team isn't that great right now. But they flat-out quit tonight.

Unclebuck
03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't think they've quit. Maybe tonight they did, but not overall.

Shade
03-21-2006, 10:19 PM

I expect them to be revitalized when JO returns, but until then, we may have to suffer through another ugly loss or two.

Bball
03-21-2006, 10:21 PM

If you seriously think JO is the difference in these 20-30 point thrashings then you are in for a rude awakening.

-Bball

piksi
Oh, I agree the team isn't that great right now. But they flat-out quit tonight.

sometimes it is better to lose by 30 thatn to lose by 3

Arcadian

This is the truth. I cannot understand what people expect with this roster. Average teams aren't consitant, don't beat the teams they should and are streaky.

Jermaniac
03-21-2006, 10:23 PM
If you seriously think JO is the difference in these 20-30 point thrashings then you are in for a rude awakening.

-BballThere wouldnt have been no 20-30 point thrashing if he played.

hoopsforlife
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
The playoffs.

-Bball

Yeah it One Goal but the other team uses it.

PS: I'm really glad Rick pulled Saras in the second quarter. If he hadn't we could have lost by a large margin. :)

SoupIsGood
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Once again, I ask...does anyone disagree?

:wave:

rexnom
03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Could that team have turned on their "auto until J.O. returns" mode? Just because they know he'll be back soon now and they hope and pray he will be this team's savior?

Unclebuck
03-21-2006, 10:35 PM

-Bball

How many 20-30 thrashings have the Pacers had since J.O went out in late January. I count 1

Slick Pinkham
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Those 15 point losses to Boston and NY sure SEEMED like 20-30 point thrashings.

Tonight was just one of those 5 games every year when you just have no chance, no energy, poor effort, poor luck, nothing works, and you just have to forget about it.

Bball
03-21-2006, 11:04 PM
How many 20-30 thrashings have the Pacers had since J.O went out in late January. I count 1

Egads... Are you telling me they had them when he was still playing :scared:

On a serious note- 'what pacertom said'. I guess some of those losses only felt like 20 point losses. Or maybe we scored some garbage points to make a blowout loss look better in the boxscore the next morning.

-Bball

dewman_32
03-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Is this the same Jermaniac from the Indy Star forums?

McKeyFan
03-21-2006, 11:13 PM
If its any consolation, Memphis is really good.

Pau Gasol is playing like a true champion who is less interested in his own stat sheet and very interested in getting all his teammates involved in the game.

I consider Memphis a sleeper to be a Cinderella team in the playoffs.

ChicagoJ
03-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Quit?

Nah.....

More like "ran out of gas".

This team has been shorthanded forever, with no relief from management (Fizer, anyone?)

Will Galen
03-22-2006, 12:06 AM
Quit?

Nah.....

More like "ran out of gas".

This team has been shorthanded forever, with no relief from management (Fizer, anyone?)

Ran out of gas is right, but another scrub won't make any difference. These are athletes who can run all day. Some NBA teams play 7-9 man rotations all year long. We've always had that many players.

This group is just emotionally spent after two years of turmoil. Plus they don't have any stability with so many different starting lineups. To many ups and downs.

grace
03-22-2006, 02:00 AM

No. Sometimes it's better to lose by 10 than to lose by 3. Losing by 30 is an embarrassment. It's a humiliation if the team that beats you won't even make the playoffs.

Hicks
03-22-2006, 06:28 AM
No. Sometimes it's better to lose by 10 than to lose by 3. Losing by 30 is an embarrassment. It's a humiliation if the team that beats you won't even make the playoffs.

Memphis is currently the 6th seed in the West. They'd be tied for 4th with Cleveland if they played in the East.

D-BONE
03-22-2006, 06:48 AM
A team should never pull "auto-pilot mode" even if the top player is absent. I agree to an extent that this team, probably even w/JO included, is not a championship calibur team. That doesn't mean that they give the lackluster efforts that have become the norm lately with the exception of the Kings win.

Thus, I would expect them to hover around .500 but is it too much to ask that they actually play like they mean it? To me, that is the mark of a serious concern-the fact that they just appear to give up. Even if they assume they'll get a bump from JO's return, it is not a good sign that they readily assume that mentality. I think it is very telling about the character of the group as a whole.

As far as lots of games, line-up changes, injuries, and the Artest fiasco, those all just smack of excuses to me. Call them explanations if you will but at some point you've just got to go out and suck it up and play hard. If you play hard and lose, that I can tolerate. When you consistently lack intensity, focus, and effort, then it's time to start questioning.

FireTheCoach
03-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Yeah, can we put that "One Goal" **** to rest now? Unless the goal was to destroy the franchise and play .500 ball. We've accomplished that magnificently.

Ya know... I had one of those "ONE GOAL" yard signs proudly displayed in my front lawn last season. I swear, it was actually embarassing after awhile. It eventually ended up in the trashcan sometime after the 11/19 meltdown.... how fitting in retrosepect.

RWB
03-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Thus, I would expect them to hover around .500 but is it too much to ask that they actually play like they mean it?

I was in the huddle and didn't hear any of the guys say they were giving up. Rather we were discussing the fine art of cooking a pork roast. You'll be happy to know this Indiana Pacer squad can cook the best pork roast in the NBA. Win basketball games? That's another story.

D-Bone is correct. If the other team is better then so be it, but this lack of effort or excuse making does not cut it.

fwpacerfan
03-22-2006, 07:52 AM

You basically told me I was crazy two weeks ago when I said this team was not playing well and now you say they haven't quit? They've quit. The only game in the last five they've looked like they haven't quit was the Kings game and I believe that is only because of Artest coming back and they didn't want to get embarassed by him. They will win some games because they will play teams that simply are not good enough to beat them but that is becoming fewer and fewer.

I agree with Shade, they've convinced themselves that when JO comes back it will all be better, but it won't. It won't get better until they start playing consistently as a team EVERY night. It won't get better until they out hustle their opponent EVERY night. It won't get better until they decide that ball movement creates better shots EVERY series. It won't get better until the bench produces consistently EVERY night. It won't get better until the Pacers start dictating tempo EVERY night.

In other words this team is going nowhere fast because, as I said two weeks ago, there are some members of this team who are not willing to sacrifice the way they like to play for the betterment of the team (SJax leaps to mind).

grace
03-22-2006, 09:13 AM
Memphis is currently the 6th seed in the West. They'd be tied for 4th with Cleveland if they played in the East.

And that's why the loss was embarrassing. It's a humiliation when we get blown out by Toronto, Atlanta, or Charlotte.

Jermaniac
03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Is this the same Jermaniac from the Indy Star forums?Nope, I'm the one and only Jermaniac, the other dude is a fake.

Eindar
03-22-2006, 02:32 PM
They certainly quit last night, which is never a good thing to see, even when you include all the bad luck and controversy they've had over the last 2 seasons. I think the team will be much better when JO returns, simply because he provides the consistent low post threat we've been missing (Peja really struggles to create his own shot), and also adds a very large interior shotblocking threat on defense. That will cut down on all those layups we've been giving up. If nothing else, it will give us another warm body to take some minutes off of Pollard, Foster, and Harrison, none of which are used to 30+ minutes per game.

All I know for certain is that this is a bad year to be a lottery team.

FrenchConnection
03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Did the Pacers play last night? If they did, I have completely forgotten about it. ;)

Fireball Kid
03-22-2006, 02:54 PM
I just dont know anymore..........

The Dallas Mavericks vs. The Indiana Pacers in the NBA Finals has always been a dream of mine. But alas, it appears to be nothing more than a mere fantasy. Dallas has its problems with health and San Antonio/Phoenix, while Indiana has its problems with health/consistensy/team play and Detroit.

I dont know what the problem is with this team. Jermaine will help the problem, but he wont fix the solution.

Kegboy
03-22-2006, 03:13 PM
(Fizer, anyone?)

Fizer just rejoined the Austin Toros, and had 44 points in his first game back, which is the season high for the league.

I've never been interested because I've always seen him as a poor man's Cro, but then, since we don't have Cro... :shrug:

Jose Slaughter
03-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Sometimes its better to loose a game while showing effort & character, then win one, without either.

beast23
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Sometimes its better to loose a game while showing effort & character, then win one, without either.Touche.

Unclebuck
03-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Pacers played hard against the Bulls. Very hard

Jermaniac
03-22-2006, 10:41 PM
<<<<<<<<<<<< BACK SOON SHADE, BACK SOON. DONT WORRY ABOUT THIS, The Savior Is coming back.See Shade, dont worry about it. JO got us.

Lord Helmet
03-22-2006, 11:04 PM
I think it was obvious they quit vs. Memphis. If you read between the lines from what Rick and AJ said, they even basically said it.

AJ said it definitely was not fatigue, and then Rick said something like after the first quarter they folded up.

But they played good and hard tonight. So all is well in Pacer nation.....for now. ;)

Shade
03-22-2006, 11:14 PM
See Shade, dont worry about it. JO got us.

If we can finish undefeated, we can still get to 50 wins! :happydanc :sarcasm:

Bball
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Pacers played hard against the Bulls. Very hard

A couple of Pacers did anyway... IMHO. Overall, I thought they left a lot to be desired. ..At least in terms of 4 quarters of basketball.

-Bball