PDA

View Full Version : College Sucks II

Diamond Dave
03-21-2006, 06:16 PM
So its halfway into the current semester.

We all just got back from Spring Break, only to have to return to class.

Then to add insult to injury, it drops 5 inches of snow on everyone welcoming the season of rebirth.

Who had homework over spring break? :wave:

I fear I may only be weeks away from cracking like that kid in Real Genius who just abruptly puts down his books and proceeds to start screaming and runs out of the Library. :yay:

So who is going to join me in climbing to the tallest peak of our respective academic institutions and screaming "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" :scream:

Whose with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btowncolt
03-21-2006, 06:17 PM
The instant you drop out, 300 million Chinese will be ready and eager to replace you in the global economy.

Keep up the good work, even if it's not easy.

Diamond Dave
03-21-2006, 06:22 PM
The instant you drop out, 300 million Chinese will be ready and eager to replace you in the global economy.

Keep up the good work, even if it's not easy.

:laugh:

Must....keep....going.....

Must....fight...the....Communists.....

beaversnducks311
03-21-2006, 06:26 PM
PREACH IT DAVE!

:king:

:scream:

I am so ****ing sick of school! :suicide:

Kat
03-21-2006, 06:44 PM

I reiterate that I'd rather be in school than at work.

18to88
03-21-2006, 06:48 PM
So its halfway into the current semester.

We all just got back from Spring Break, only to have to return to class.

Then to add insult to injury, it drops 5 inches of snow on everyone welcoming the season of rebirth.

Who had homework over spring break? :wave:

I fear I may only be weeks away from cracking like that kid in Real Genius who just abruptly puts down his books and proceeds to start screaming and runs out of the Library. :yay:

So who is going to join me in climbing to the tallest peak of our respective academic institutions and screaming "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!" :scream:

Where do you go? Where does everyone else on here go also?

Since86
03-21-2006, 07:02 PM
Ball State University!!!!

Because it's "Cutting Edge Cool!"

beaversnducks311
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Ditto!

Ball State

sweabs
03-21-2006, 07:58 PM
Only 3 more weeks of classes here...

Hicks
03-21-2006, 08:05 PM
Ball State as well.

Ever since I was "spotted" by Since86 without realizing it at the time I feel like there are men with cameras waiting in every brush. :uhoh:

Stryder
03-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Once you hit the "real" world, you'll want to be back in school. Trust me.

If I could, I would be a career student.

Kat
03-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Purdue here.

Shade
03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
IUPUI.

Does that make me a semi-PUke? :(

Diamond Dave
03-21-2006, 11:03 PM
University of Indianapolis

Nice school, but its still school.

SoupIsGood
03-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Butler nexy year...

18to88
03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
I go to IU. Does anyone else?

Sirius
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Argh...I go to Vanderbilt, and its hard as *****in hell. 38 days till summer...38 days till summer...

Bball
03-22-2006, 03:32 AM

Global warming works in mysterious ways....

-Bball

Raskolnikov
03-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Butler nexy year...
nexy nexy

cute!

EDIT: btw I go to the university of Gent! :tongue:

Since86
03-22-2006, 11:24 AM
Ball State as well.

Ever since I was "spotted" by Since86 without realizing it at the time I feel like there are men with cameras waiting in every brush. :uhoh:

You should see my walls.

Wait, maybe you shouldn't.;)

mugsy27
03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
i would give ANYTHING to be back in school. u think it sucks now?? wait till the next "phase" of your life begins....only this one doesnt end in 4 years...its just keeps going and going and going...

Gyron
03-22-2006, 01:18 PM
I miss school.

You will miss is hard care when you are done.

Diamond Dave
03-22-2006, 01:29 PM
I miss school.

You will miss is hard care when you are done.

No chance...

My other phase of life has already begun. I get married in June and I work full-time at the same place I'll probably be working for the rest of my life.

School is a huge inconveince.

Not to mention I am a commuter who does nothing but go to class, do the work, and go home. No big college parties, or good times for me. Just the hard work.

But being the backwards guy that I am, I actually like the "next" phase of my life a lot more than any school phase.

Hicks
03-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Yeah college for me is show up, work, go home, do the rest of the work before next time, and repeat. None of the "fun stuff".

Kat
03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah college for me is show up, work, go home, do the rest of the work before next time, and repeat. None of the "fun stuff".

I guess I'm technically a commuter student right now (live off-campus, work full-time), but I still love school in comparison to work. It's more interesting to me and it makes me feel more optimistic about my future.

obnoxiousmodesty
03-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Sure college can be a pain, but it's WAY more fun than work--and I really enjoy my current job. I was out of college for a while and I really came to realize how much I enjoyed it as well as how much I'd taken it for granted. I'm happy to be back, and I don't intend on leaving academia for some time. (Like, never.)

sweabs
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
As Hicks and DD said...I don't see how people can reminisce about the good times in university/college. I hate it, and don't know how people can say "those were the best days of my life". The only thing that keeps me sane is playing in my volleyball/basketball leagues on weekends. Aside from that it's wake up, go to lectures, read/research/homework, go to bed, wake up, etc.

However, I'm pretty sure that the guy who still lived at home through university/college isn't going to have as fond of memories as the guy who moved out in his first year. I'll be able to see if that makes a difference after I graduate this year, move out, and start a new program...

Kat
03-22-2006, 02:14 PM
As Hicks and DD said...I don't see how people can reminisce about the good times in university/college. I hate it, and don't know how people can say "those were the best days of my life".

Hmm...

You have more flexibility in picking your classes than you do picking your job. Therefore, unless you're really lucky to have a job you love, or you're in a major you hate, you'll probably find your classes more interesting.

If you don't like a class, you can usually drop it. If you leave your job, you might have severe financial repercussions.

Besides a few set hours in the classroom, you can largely set your own schedule. At work, you're pretty much chained to the desk for 40 hours not of your own choosing.

If you don't like an instructor, you can avoid the classes they teach (usually). If you don't like a coworker or employer, you pretty much have to put up with it or find a new job, which is much harder.

At work, you have the burden of responsibility. If you slack off, you could get fired. If you slack off in college, you'll get a bad grade and have to repeat the class. You're the only one negatively impacted.

I could probably think of more examples, but I've gotta run to class! ;)

Since86
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Sounds like you guys need to find party buddies, if you aren't having a good time.

I know college isn't there just for partying, and I used to never do it myself, but it makes the experience WAY better. It's not so much as getting messed up, as opposed to hanging out with friends and just letting loose. I don't mind school as much now. :shrug:

btowncolt
03-22-2006, 03:25 PM
Sounds like you guys need to find party buddies, if you aren't having a good time.

I know college isn't there just for partying, and I used to never do it myself, but it makes the experience WAY better. It's not so much as getting messed up, as opposed to hanging out with friends and just letting loose. I don't mind school as much now. :shrug:

You should see the picture of this guy and the donkey on facebook. Hilarious.

Vicious Tyrant
03-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Hey, I had a blast at college (in that unique Christian college kind of way) but work is WAAAY better. Everyday I feel like I'm working toward a goal that involves more than just myself. I believe I'm making the world a little better.

That being said, I just applied to grad school for the Fall. We'll see.

Since86
03-22-2006, 03:44 PM
You should see the picture of this guy and the donkey on facebook. Hilarious.

Is it someone from IU?

BTW, I was looking around on your profile today, and I'm concerned. The picture I had in my head of what you'd look like, doesn't match up. You look "normal," and I had you pegged as some cracked out hippie.

Vicious Tyrant
03-22-2006, 03:48 PM
BTW, I was looking around on your profile today, and I'm concerned. The picture I had in my head of what you'd look like, doesn't match up. You look "normal," and I had you pegged as some cracked out hippie.
I had a similar sense of disorientation the first time I saw Btown at a forum party. PLUS, he and Magic Rat are very camera shy, which I found surprising.

Harmonica is painfully camera shy, too, but I kind of expected that.

Since86
03-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I had a similar sense of disorientation the first time I saw Btown at a forum party. PLUS, he and Magic Rat are very camera shy, which I found surprising.

Harmonica is painfully camera shy, too, but I kind of expected that.

It's just weird. RCarey doesn't look the way I envisioned him either......

Damn you all for not fitting in my preconcieved ideas.

BTW, you'll always look like the guy in your avatar to me. That is going to leave a strong impression.

btowncolt
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Is it someone from IU?

In eight grade, my hair was down to my shoulders. My long, flowing hippie hair.

Does that help?

sweabs
03-22-2006, 04:05 PM

I have party buddies...the problem is that this year in particular I haven't been able to hang out with them more than twice (once on my birthday, and I forget the other time). Although I agree - that makes things a lot less stressful.

I just don't have the time this year at all. Kat's stuff about having "choice" when picking out courses becomes a non-factor when you're in your last year of an honours degree. Stupid honours forces me to take some of the worst history classes that I would never take under my own will.

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Oh, while were talkin college, is it worth it to get in the college's honors program? Whats the point?

sweabs
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
It's just weird. RCarey doesn't look the way I envisioned him either......

Damn you all for not fitting in my preconcieved ideas.

BTW, you'll always look like the guy in your avatar to me. That is going to leave a strong impression.

What did you think I looked like? Lumberjack, Eskimo, hockey player with no teeth, moose? ;)

Btown looked exactly the way I pictured him...mullet and all.

sweabs
03-22-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh, while were talkin college, is it worth it to get in the college's honors program? Whats the point?

If you're looking into post-Undergrad stuff...like grad school, teachers college, some sort of Masters Program, etc. then it's probably best that you take the honours route. That's why I did it.

Just be prepared to not have as much flexibility and choice when choosing courses. I'm taking 4 history essay courses this year alone that are all mandatory...and you take 5 courses in total/year. So...

Since86
You need a scruffy beard to go along with that flowing hair btown, then we can talk........

And RCarey, ever since the talk about you really being Daniel-sun from Karate Kid, I haven't shaken that image. But yes, I do have a stereotype of Canadians wearing plaid all the time. The movie "Hurricane" reinforced that btw.

btowncolt
If I had a picture of me where I didn't look like a douche, then I'd put it up.

So I'm waiting until I can afford breast augmentation surgery.

Since86
03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I had to untag some of my photos.......

Most were from one awful night, and I wasn't in a good mood at all.

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 04:28 PM
If you're looking into post-Undergrad stuff...like grad school, teachers college, some sort of Masters Program, etc. then it's probably best that you take the honours route. That's why I did it.

Just be prepared to not have as much flexibility and choice when choosing courses. I'm taking 4 history essay courses this year alone that are all mandatory...and you take 5 courses in total/year. So...

Darn.... guess I better do it.

sweabs
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
You need a scruffy beard to go along with that flowing hair btown, then we can talk........

And RCarey, ever since the talk about you really being Daniel-sun from Karate Kid, I haven't shaken that image. But yes, I do have a stereotype of Canadians wearing plaid all the time. The movie "Hurricane" reinforced that btw.

Good movie (The Hurricane) - I have that on DVD. And now I'll have Dylan's song in my head the rest of the day...

I used to have some plaid shirts when I lived back in a very rural area. But once I moved here to the city, everyone made fun of me until I bought pink collared t-shirts and popped the collar (by the way, is that a world-wide phenomenon?)

P.S. Me > Daniel-son. Yeah, I said it.

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm actually listening to that song....

sweabs
03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I had to untag some of my photos.......

What does that mean, and how does it work?

Since86
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Good movie (The Hurricane) - I have that on DVD. And now I'll have Dylan's song in my head the rest of the day...

I used to have some plaid shirts when I lived back in a very rural area. But once I moved here to the city, everyone made fun of me until I bought pink collared t-shirts and popped the collar (by the way, is that a world-wide phenomenon?)

Please tell me you didn't just admit to popping your collar......

P.S. Me > Daniel-son. Yeah, I said it.

NEVER, I SAY NEVER!!!!!

To untag photos, you go to the photos of you link right under your main profile picture. Then click on the photo you don't want there. Right under it there will be the names of the people in it, and beside your name should have an (untag) link. Click it, and viola, it doesn't show up anymore.

sweabs
03-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Please tell me you didn't just admit to popping your collar......

Eek - hell no. It was my lame attempt at humour.

But it is a huge pet peeve of mine...every stupid guy downtown wearing their golf shirt (usually pink) with the collar popped...ugh. Is it as popular in the States as well?

btowncolt
03-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Eek - hell no. It was my lame attempt at humour.

But it is a huge pet peeve of mine...every stupid guy downtown wearing their golf shirt (usually pink) with the collar popped...ugh. Is it as popular in the States as well?

I try to keep my fly open all day. We'll see if that catches on.

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 05:05 PM
I will never pop my collar.

Kat
03-22-2006, 05:08 PM

Hmm... a fashion trend I can appreciate... :drool:

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 05:10 PM

Ya better start wearin underwear then.....

sweabs
03-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Ya better start wearin underwear then.....

Don't furry thongs qualify?

Since86
03-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Yes, it's "popular" here. Even though those who do it are often ridiculed behind their back.

Speaking of leaving your fly down.......

Sunday I went with my gf to Plainfield to her grandparents house, when her grandpa walked by with his down. He was in some "old people pants" that had the really long fly, probably 7-8 inches. The look on her face was terrific.

Okay, I know all of you will feel better after reading that.

Suaveness
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
My exciting weekend:

Microbio lab test today
Physics test tomorrow
MCAT diagnostic saturday (8-4)
Microbio test monday
ethics paper due Tuesday
genetics paper due wednesday

Kill me.

Stryder
03-23-2006, 11:35 PM
My exciting weekend:

Microbio lab test today
Physics test tomorrow
MCAT diagnostic saturday (8-4)
Microbio test monday
ethics paper due Tuesday
genetics paper due wednesday

Kill me.

Been there...I feel for ya...

My last semester of undergrad went like this:

Microbiology
Genetics
Invertebrate Zoology
Quantitative Analysis
Physical Chemistry II

Suaveness
03-24-2006, 02:59 AM
OMG I HATED, HATED Quant. It was so ridiculously confusing.

Unclebuck
03-25-2006, 03:01 PM
College is a lot better than work. If you are in college right now you probably don't realize it, wait a few years and you will then realize how good it was.

Oh and yes I was a computer student as well. But I wish I could go back a few years.

grace
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
IUPUI.

Does that make me a semi-PUke? :(

Yes it does and you're damn proud of it.

I said you are PROUD! :mib:

grace
03-25-2006, 03:18 PM
College is a lot better than work. If you are in college right now you probably don't realize it, wait a few years and you will then realize how good it was.

Oh and yes I was a computer student as well. But I wish I could go back a few years.

I hated every waking and sleeping moment of my two years of hell at Indiana State. At the moment I don't like my job, but I only work 3 days a week so I really don't think I can complain all that much. (Yes, Kegboy, I know I do complain that much. :shhh: ) Even on my worst days at work, and I've had some ****ters, (HIPAA regs preclude me from explaining) I do not EVER want to go back to school. Unless I changed my major. Is there a major where when you graduate you can sit on your butt all day watching TiVo and get paid for it? That's the career I want. :D

Shade
03-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Yes it does and you're damn proud of it.

I said you are PROUD! :mib:

Guess I should change my look to fit in...

:crazy2:

grace
03-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Guess I should change my look to fit in...

:crazy2:

Add weight lifting to your protein bar diet and maybe you could look like this alum.

http://mlb.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p716093reg.jpg

Kegboy
03-25-2006, 04:13 PM
Add weight lifting to your protein bar diet and maybe you could look like this alum.

Shade's body would disintegrate if Alstott even looked at him. He's like a real life Mr. T.

Shade
03-25-2006, 04:18 PM

If all their alums looked like that, there would be no need for college.

Shade
03-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Shade's body would disintegrate if Alstott even looked at him. He's like a real life Mr. T.

Well, then, they must've won...what...4...5 championships by now? :devil:

Unclebuck
03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I need to come clean here, Suave if I had to take some of your classes, I would hate college too.

Suaveness
03-27-2006, 03:46 PM
I need to come clean here, Suave if I had to take some of your classes, I would hate college too.

They aren't too bad really this semester. I just don't like when they pile up work right at the same time.

Plus it makes it ridiculously hard when you ahve to study mcats. And it doesnt help when you do poorly on a diag. oijafoifjioajfoeijfoaejoamifeoi

Gyron
03-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Unless I changed my major. Is there a major where when you graduate you can sit on your butt all day watching TiVo and get paid for it? That's the career I want. :D

Isn't that called a Political science major?:-p Maybe Btown could help you out in finding a good school.:D

btowncolt
03-27-2006, 04:02 PM
Isn't that called a Political science major?:-p Maybe Btown could help you out in finding a good school.:D

Negative. I can't afford Tivo or enough food to have a butt.

PostArtestEra
03-28-2006, 09:49 PM
I reiterate that I'd rather be in school than at work.

I'm a little late responding, but werd!!

sweabs
04-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Bump. Studying for finals SUCKS.

PD is my #1 distraction during this time.

Only a couple more weeks left............

btowncolt
04-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Bump. Studying for finals SUCKS.

Only a couple more weeks left............

Illegally linking at Yahoo is #2?

sweabs
04-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Illegally linking at Yahoo is #2?

Shutup! I still don't even know what I did wrong to get screwed over like that. Something about "signposting" or something...even though all my images on the site were uploaded through yahoo.

Don't get me started...I'll be back next year to reclaim my title.

Raskolnikov
04-10-2006, 03:40 PM

For me it's also a big distraction, but not always #1, it depends.

Composing top ten distractions lists is steady at #6.

The Pacers not making the play-offs would actually make a significant difference for my grades.

sweabs
04-10-2006, 03:44 PM
The Pacers not making the play-offs would actually make a significant difference for my grades.

I can definitely agree with that. I find it hard enough to study when I know playoff games are taking place (whether it's Pacers or any other team).

But then again, when the team is performing like ****, PD starts to get real good which gets me logging in...it's a double edged sword.

Kat
04-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Three weeks of classes (including this week) and a finals week and I'm done for this semester. And I am so getting a 4.0 this semester. I have to get a 71% on my final to get an A for one class and 186.5 points out of the last 245 (roughly 76%) for my second. :mango:

Am I the only person who does grade calculations like this near the end of the semester?

Since86
04-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Three weeks of classes (including this week) and a finals week and I'm done for this semester. And I am so getting a 4.0 this semester. I have to get a 71% on my final to get an A for one class and 186.5 points out of the last 245 (roughly 76%) for my second. :mango:

Am I the only person who does grade calculations like this near the end of the semester?

No. I usually do them too, but mine are usually to see what I can do to get my grade up to the lowest B possible.

(I'm VERY lazy for the first 14weeks of the semester.:blush: )

Suaveness
04-12-2006, 01:02 PM
I do grade calculations after every test. It's a bad habit.

obnoxiousmodesty
04-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I do grade calculations after every test. It's a bad habit.
I do the same, and yeah, it's a bad habit. Instead of trying to learn something I end up trying to get the lowest percentage possible to obtain the grade I want.

Kat
04-12-2006, 04:44 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a bad habit. It can help you prioritize. "I need a 83% on this exam to get an A in the class, but only 70% in this other class, so I think I'll spend more time studying for the first."

Ultimate Frisbee
04-12-2006, 05:02 PM
College sucks at time, but overall its really a great place.

I'm in Grad School now... it is also good (because I get paid... a bit...), though I am going through my candidacy process now so that sucks.

Knucklehead Warrior
04-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Dave, you commute don't you? Did we have this conversation before? I think you'd find it a much different environment if you lived on campus. It's a lot easier to focus and it gets you into more of an adventure rather than a chore. I've done both and living on campus is really a different world.

Onto the computing your grade "issue". Yeah I always used to do it for finals. And it can be a way to set priorities. I once had the very strange circumstance of needing a high F on the final to get an A in the course. An A was defined as 92+%. The instructor was the best motivator I've ever seen in my entire life. Of course I studied hard for the final anyway. One of my few academic success stories. :blush:

Diamond Dave
04-13-2006, 05:32 PM
Dave, you commute don't you? Did we have this conversation before? I think you'd find it a much different environment if you lived on campus. It's a lot easier to focus and it gets you into more of an adventure rather than a chore. I've done both and living on campus is really a different world.

Oh yeah, commute big time. 55 miles one way. Why may you ask? All of my friends and family live there. Including my fiance' who I'll be marrying in about 9 weeks.

I completely agree that living on campus probably improves things, however I have heard others say just the opposite. I am not a big people person, and being an only child means that I have no expereince living with others.

I'm not a real "party" kinda of guy. I don't drink, so that in itself excludes you from most activities. Or at least makes you the odd man out.

However a follow up to this whole story, I have decided to give up traditional college and pursue my career in EMS. I really enjoy it and each time I do the job I feel like it has purpose. As opposed to the bull***** chapter summaries I just wrote for a class that I'm more than passing, and have scored well on all the chapter tests. Yet I have to go back and type these things, just to turn them in at the end for credit. It has nothing to do with learning. I have gained nothing from this experience and the sooner I forget it the better. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things with traditional education that are that way.

So starting next semester I will be attending IUPUI for their course in paramedicine. I'd like to thank everyone who has come on to my "college sucks" threads and attempted to give advice, I really appreciate it. :cool:

I'm happy with my decision I've made. I have given myself my certainty in my life that has resulted in overall happiness. :D

Knucklehead Warrior
04-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey Dave, it sounds like you're on the right track, doing something you like. I can attest that makes all the difference in the world. It isn't work if you love to do it! Most people spend their entire lives being disappointed and miserable because they're a square peg in a round hole.

I'm middle aged, have two college degrees (both bachelors) and still continue to take a class now and then just for fun. I can empathize with the bullshirt assignments and self indulgent instructors. The last class I had (for 6 weeks) was with a guy who continually made bullshirt demands on us -- use a pencil, use only black ink on your test, made disrespectful and cutting remarks to the class as a whole, just a complete @$$wipe. I finally just said, "I'm too old to put up with crap like this" and left.

Damn, I once had a guy who on a test where one question was fill in the blank, the correct answer was "nothing". But to put "nothing" in the blank was incorrect, you had to leave it blank to get full credit. IOW, if you didn't know the answer and therefore left it blank, you got it right. Another question was a grid to fill in worth 24 points if you got it completely right. I saw a guy's answer, he had some of it correct, but was scored -28. THe instructor wouldn't budge.

Yeah I learned basically 2 things in college:
(1) Always carry a pen. (I'm retired now and married so I make my wife carry it).
(2) Higher education isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Amen.