PDA

View Full Version : Who do you want in the first round?

Shade
03-21-2006, 01:02 PM
As of right now, here are the seedings in the East:

1) Detroit
2) Miami
3) New Jersey
4) Cleveland
5) Washington
6) PACERS
7) Milwaukee
8) Philadelphia

The Pistons are already locked into the #1 spot. It is highly likely that Miami will finish #2, and NJ #3 (unless the Nets get super-hot and overtake the Heat). Everything else is still up in the air, though it's very unlikely at this point that we'll be able o get any higher than #5, unless the Cavs nose-dive again.

I like where we're at, and hope we stay at #6. Why?

1) Detroit and Miami will be a load to handle in the first round.

Also, NJ is the weakest of the division winners.

2) Detroit would face the 4/5 winner in the second round. If the Wiz can get there, they've given the Pistons more problems in the regular season than any other team. We've also struggled against the Wiz this year, and the Cavs would likely get calls galore in LeBron's playoffs debut.

Also, by finishing #6, beating NJ would mean we get to avoid Detroit until the ECF.

beast23
03-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I'd love for the standings to stay the way they are right now FOR ALL TEAMS.

Detroit would face Cavs / Wiz on 2nd round.

The Heat would face the Bucks, who have some personnel to match up speed-wise with the them. And if Redd gets hot, the the Bucks can be a handful.

I think the 6th seed maximizes the Pacers chances of getting through the second round, assuming can we can past the Nets.

Los Angeles
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Jersey.

We used to know how to beat Miami, I hope some of that mojo has remained intact.

Tim
03-21-2006, 02:03 PM
If we face a healthy Nets in the first round we will not advance.

Hicks
03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
We can take the Nets. I want us to stay put.

Anthem
03-21-2006, 02:16 PM
If we face a healthy Nets in the first round we will not advance.
If we can't beat the Nets, we can't beat anybody.

Fireball Kid
03-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I'd rather face the Cavs in the first round than the Nets. The Nets are a better team than some give them credit for.

Hicks
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
That's not as important as being in the 3/6 bracket over the 4/5. 4/5 lands you Detroit in round 2 again. 3/6 gets you Miami first, then Detroit if you make it.

317Kim
03-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Either the Nets or the Cavs.Nets because we have a good chance of beating them and advancing.Cavs because LeBron has never gotten to the playoffs before and it could go in our favor.

Pacersfan.
03-21-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree it would be better if we got were matched up with Miami in the second round, but NJ scares me a little. Experience goes a long way. New Jersey has that playoff experience, but Cleveland is not mature enough and does not have enough experience to get past the first round.

Jon Theodore
03-21-2006, 04:01 PM
I don't think our chances of getting out of the first round are very high against anybody in the east. It's hard to admit, but it seems true.

Difficult to evaluate now without Jermaine so I am holding hope that Jermaine can help this team gel. I hope Jackson doesn't disappear when Jermaine returns. Sure his shot selection sucks but as a third option he just plain sucks most the time. Of course he did play great last year in the playoffs lets hope he can keep it up this year.

Am i the only one who doesn't want to see Fred "turnover" Jones play a single second in the playoffs? I'd give Saras the SG minutes over Fred anyday. I could careless how good Fred is defensively he is a turnover waiting to happen. Between him, AJ, and Tinsley we give the other team easy buckets way too often. AJ/TIns need all the PG minutes I am willing to admit that. I'd like to see Saras get at least half of Fred's minutes for the playoffs. Anyone who doesn't think Saras will elevate his game in the playoffs, if given the opportunity is kidding themselves.

Aj/Saras/Peja/Jermaine/DH would be a really good starting lineup. That spreads the floor a lot and allows Jermaine to get going EARLY.

When you got guys like Tins/Jack/Fred/Granger/Foster coming off the bench, well your in position to do a lot of good things.

I think bringing Tinsley off the bench is great as long as he finishes games. I think Jackson NEEDS to start coming off the bench. Again, him peja and JO all starting just doesn't make sense to me. They all need/want the ball too much.

But we all can expect to see

AJ
Jack
Peja
Jermaine
random big guy

Carlisle is too predictable

Will Galen
03-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Home court advantage against the Cavs in the first round. The way some of you have it figured we would have to beat all three division champions.

As for Detroit I would like to face them in the second round when we are likely to still be healthy, but after our rookies have played in a playoff series.

fwpacerfan
03-21-2006, 04:05 PM
New Jersey

I don't want to face Bron Bron in the playoffs. I think the favorable calls he gets are going to make the calls MJ used to get look tame.

If this team doesn't start playing consistently it really isn't going to matter who they face because it is going to be a 5 game series at best.

Fool
03-21-2006, 04:11 PM
I like the standings the way they are as well.

Fireball Kid
03-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Jon you cant be serious? If we face the Nets, Sarunas would have to guard Vince Carter. If we face the Heat, Sarunas would have to guard Dwayne Wade. If we face the Pistons, Sarunas would have to guard Rip Hamilton. Are you crazy??

Hicks
03-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Sarunas is going to be promoted from 3rd string PG to starting SG for the playoffs?

Jaydawg2270
03-21-2006, 04:44 PM
the sixth seed no detriot till ECF

Unclebuck
03-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Since the allstar break the Heat have a better record than the Pistons.

Shade
03-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Since the allstar break the Heat have a better record than the Pistons.

You wanna bet on who will go farther?

Jermaniac
03-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Jon you cant be serious? If we face the Nets, Sarunas would have to guard Vince Carter. If we face the Heat, Sarunas would have to guard Dwayne Wade. If we face the Pistons, Sarunas would have to guard Rip Hamilton. Are you crazy??Sarunas wont guard anyone in the playoffs.

Shade
03-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Sarunas wont guard anyone in the playoffs.

He'll guard the bench from dust bunnies.

Okay, he'll TRY to guard the bench from dust bunnies. But they have a pretty quick first step.

Jermaniac
03-21-2006, 05:25 PM
They could probably get to the basket against him if they played one on one. Then he will turnaround and yell at Freddie.

Unclebuck
03-21-2006, 05:29 PM
You wanna bet on who will go farther?

Yes I do if I can take the Pistons

Shade
03-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Yes I do if I can take the Pistons

:sarcasm:

DeS
03-21-2006, 06:18 PM
I picked Detroit just to favor JO comments. But in reality imo we can go further if we meet Nets or Washington in the 1 round. With injuried players recently comming back they will need an easy (or easiest) oponent to develop some better chemistry and mentality. I'm not including in the list Cleveland as I think they are better at this moment - they have better chemistry, better maturity and mentality than years ago and they are hungry...

J_2_Da_IzzO
03-21-2006, 07:44 PM
I think people underrate Nets. Yes we are better then them but they are not as bad as people on here make them out to be. They have a top PG, a top SG and a top SF. Id fancy Grangers/Pejas chance against RJ but at the two guard spots it can be dangerous. Hopefully Jermaine will be healthy and raring to go.

Jermaniac
03-21-2006, 07:47 PM
I for one would love to play the Nets, they have no one on their team that can stop JO, no one.

Shade
03-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Wow. My roommate just brought to my attention that the Wizards play 12 of their final 17 games on the road. Brutal.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Bring it on. I don't care who it is, I'm just anxious to see us play the right way in a meaningful and interesting series with most of our guys. If we can't do that, then we don't deserve to get out of the first round. I don't know if we can knock off anyone, but I'm still confident anybody else will have their hands full.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
03-21-2006, 09:19 PM
We arent gonna make it far in these playoffs, i think thats pretty obvious.

I voted Detroit, might as well get this miserable season over a little quicker. Im sorry, but being eliminated in the second round instead of the first just doesn't impress me that much.

And Id rather face Detroit before all the Pacers pick ups their mandatory 2nd round injuries. And Id rather be eliminated by Detroit than Miami or the Nets (I HATE THE NETS).

pizza guy
03-21-2006, 10:45 PM
I want Adam Morrison in the first round.

tinsley#11
03-21-2006, 11:30 PM
I voted for Detroit because I figure our chances for going all the way are kind of slim at this point, but if we can somehow get Detroit in the first round and get an upset we can ride that momentum all the way to the finals.

SoupIsGood
03-21-2006, 11:32 PM
DEEEEEEETRRRROOOOOIIIITTTTT

Bball
03-22-2006, 01:42 AM
First, talking playoffs is looking at bit premature. Jim Mora is rolling over in his grave and about to shout his famous line "Playoffs? Playoffs!!!?? PLAYOFFS!!!???" ... and he's not even dead! ;)

Second, talking of who to play in the first round to facilitate moving onto the second round is even more bothersome to me. Without a major turnaround, there isn't going to be a second round for these Pacers no. matter. who. they. play. in. the. first. round.

We're fast on the track where I believe the best thing for us is to not make the playoffs. Without a spirited turnaround, and soon, not making the playoffs would force management to reassess this team in a serious way.

Making the playoffs will meet a major goal that is set in the front office and help to calm any sparks that could be growing to readdress the makeup of this team.

Backing into the playoffs is not my cup of tea. It would mean less than nothing to me. The playoffs in and of themselves are not the Holy Grail for me.

-Bball

fwpacerfan
03-22-2006, 08:42 AM
First, talking playoffs is looking at bit premature. Jim Mora is rolling over in his grave and about to shout his famous line "Playoffs? Playoffs!!!?? PLAYOFFS!!!???" ... and he's not even dead! ;)

Second, talking of who to play in the first round to facilitate moving onto the second round is even more bothersome to me. Without a major turnaround, there isn't going to be a second round for these Pacers no. matter. who. they. play. in. the. first. round.

We're fast on the track where I believe the best thing for us is to not make the playoffs. Without a spirited turnaround, and soon, not making the playoffs would force management to reassess this team in a serious way.

Making the playoffs will meet a major goal that is set in the front office and help to calm any sparks that could be growing to readdress the makeup of this team.

Backing into the playoffs is not my cup of tea. It would mean less than nothing to me. The playoffs in and of themselves are not the Holy Grail for me.

-Bball

Great points and judging by the lack of effort put forth last night and in other recent games (see Knicks game) the team is on board with this.

I've never hated a team I root for until now. This team's lack of effort last night put me over the edge. They are a bunch of selfish, play for the paycheck, I don't give a crap about anyone but me group of guys. I hate them as a group. There are a couple I would like to see stick around but if Bird/Walsh came out today and said we are trading Jackson, Tinsley, Jones, Harrison, Sarunas, O'Neal, Pollard, Croshere and Gill for a bag of dog biscuits I would actually think that's a good deal.

SoupIsGood
03-22-2006, 08:50 AM
\

I've never hated a team I root for until now. This team's lack of effort last night put me over the edge. They are a bunch of selfish, play for the paycheck, I don't give a crap about anyone but me group of guys. I hate them as a group. There are a couple I would like to see stick around but if Bird/Walsh came out today and said we are trading Jackson, Tinsley, Jones, Harrison, Sarunas, O'Neal, Pollard, Croshere and Gill for a bag of dog biscuits I would actually think that's a good deal.

This type of crap always comes around after a couple bad losses.

Another few wins, and we'll be wondering who we will play in the finals.

Would you all just freaking lighten up??! My god :rolleyes:

Raskolnikov
03-22-2006, 09:08 AM

Well said. :flirt:

Jon Theodore
03-22-2006, 10:40 AM
For the record i was joking about the Saras starting in the playoffs thing. I do wish he would get some PG minutes though. I wish AJ could play SG a little bit and cut some of Fred's minutes.

I'm glad people called me out I was indeed joking, but upon re-reading it I came across as serious about Sarunas starting at SG hahahaha.

To me sarunas > fred....so i DO wish AJ would split his minutes both guard spots giving Runi at least 10-15 a game at PG.

I at least want to SEE Saras in the playoffs. I am honestly curious to see if he can step it up like I would EXPECT him too. But to say he should start at SG was indeed me poking fun at the Saras lovers.

Harddrive7
03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
And when/if they do make it to the playoffs what then? Isn't the NBA all about winning a championship? Don't teams go in to the playoffs thinking that there is a chance that they can win it all?

Does anyone here honestly think that this team thinks that they have a chance to win it all this year?

IOW, why care who they will meet in the playoffs? What difference does it make this year?

NONE.

ChicagoJ
03-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Welcome to my life.

:buddies:

fwpacerfan
03-23-2006, 09:24 AM

Fortunately I don't get overly excited after a few victories or too down after a couple of losses. It takes a lot to get me to this point and losses like the Memphis and the Knick games sandwiched between very bad quarters in the Boston, Orlando, Sacremento and Toronto games have gotten me to this point.

This team has showed signs of this happening for some time now. They looked good last night for 3 quarters and if they can sustain that they will get the 5th or 6th seed. But to just say everything's going to be just fine and dandy is to kid yourself. Just because we won last night does not change the fact that this team has shown a tendency to absolutely quit at times this year and it doesn't change the fact that this team does not handle success well at all. They win a few games and they quit doing the things that created the victories. I don't see that changing because it is part of the culture of this team. It is that elusive "it" factor that some pro athletes have and others don't to do the things that make you successful even under dire circumstances. I haven't seen many of the Pacers that have this ability.

Shade
03-25-2006, 03:59 PM
So, who do you guys want in the Finals? ;)

PCC87
03-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I want NJ soley because of the fact that I think we play well against them....

rexnom
03-28-2006, 10:37 PM
So right now, we are in danger of falling to seventh, which would be very bad. I still don't think a sixth seed is terrible despite NJ being hot. They don't have anything to stop JO with and there's no reason they should ever outrebound us. And I love the whole avoiding the Pistons route because in the end, we played Miami very tough on the road without a key reserve (who is a good perimeter scorer and defender, two things we missed) and with a team still learning how to function together.

Sirius
03-29-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't like the idea of getting the damn Pistons in the second round again, but I must say NJ scares me a little bit. Cleveland I'm honestly not worried about, but I can see us falling apart against an experienced NJ team that doesn't lack talent and chemistry. Sure we're experienced, but God knows when we'll start to act like it. Either way we've got to go through tougher teams to be satisfied, so as long as we lock up at least a sixth I'll be happy.

Fireball Kid
03-29-2006, 03:03 AM
We will lose to the New Jersey Nets if we face them in the first round. You can quote me on that!

317Kim
03-29-2006, 06:59 AM
IF the playoffs started today, I wouldnt want to play the Nets because they're on a 9 game win streak and we're trying to keep swagger .

03-29-2006, 07:33 AM
The way it looks right now is PERFECT, because there is a small chanse that the P´s can beat Detroit/Miami in the first round, well.. even smaller chanse on ECF. This team & Rick still needs more time to experiment with the best starting lineup!