PDA

View Full Version : O誰eal Says He値l Return "Really Soon"

Pacersfan.
03-20-2006, 05:31 PM
WOOHOO!!

O誰eal Says He値l Return "Really Soon"

By Conrad Brunner | March 20, 2006 Jermaine O'Neal said Monday he will be back in action "really soon," and hinted that could mean this week.

Out since Jan. 24 with a torn groin muscle, O'Neal has been working out on his own for two weeks and participated in the team's last three practices, including Monday at Conseco Fieldhouse. He said his progress has been steady and strong and is optimistic he'll be back on the court in short order.

O'Neal

"I don't want to say a day but it's really soon," O'Neal said. "It won't be tomorrow (when the Pacers face the Grizzlies in Memphis) but it's looking really good right now."

Coach Rick Carlisle was more cautious in his assessment but didn't hide his optimism about O'Neal's progress. After playing the Grizzlies, the Pacers return home to face Chicago Wednesday, Detroit Friday and Philadelphia Sunday.

"We certainly are happy to see things going in the right direction," Carlisle said. "The sooner we can get him back, the better, but things have to be right for that to happen.

"We certainly need to get him back as soon as possible. That's not even a conversation. The rehab and conditioning have got to be right and then he'll be ready to come back. I know he's doing better but I don't know exactly where he is. He probably has the best idea. It's going to be up to him."

Carlisle

The Pacers have changed their personnel and offensive system since O'Neal was injured, acquiring Peja Stojakovic from Sacramento for Ron Artest. The team O'Neal left based its offense on the inside-outside effect generated from consistent low-post play. The current Pacers are oriented more towards passing, screening and cutting with more of an emphasis on transition offense.

"I think he's going to fit in great, I really do," Carlisle said. "He's had a chance to get a lot of reps the last few days with us. It should be beneficial to him, it should be beneficial to our team. The fact we have Tinsley back now makes it a positive, as well. Hopefully, at some point soon we can get everybody back on the floor, including (Scot) Pollard."

Pollard has missed the last three games with plantar fasciitis in his left foot but has been upgraded from doubtful to questionable for Tuesday's game in Memphis.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/oneal_return_060320.html

Arcadian
03-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Hopefully, at some point soon we can get everybody back on the floor, including (Scot) Pollard.

I wonder what it means that everybody back doesn't include Cro. It doesn't sound like he is expected to return.

Pacersfan.
03-20-2006, 05:38 PM
I was thinking the same thing Arcadian.

Seed
03-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Great news. :buddies:

Let's hope we see J.O.king (and I'm not joking).

Raskolnikov
03-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Finally (almost) our best player back. Let the games begin!

Lord Helmet
03-20-2006, 05:56 PM
I seriously hope JO is right. He deserves to be able to come back.

Kegboy
03-20-2006, 06:13 PM
It's nice to see that JO isn't being cautious about the timetable. That must really mean he feels he's all better. As for Rick's trepidation, that's perfectly understandable considering how this medical staff has jerked him around repeatedly on the status of players.

CableKC
03-20-2006, 06:17 PM
I think he wants to come back before the Detroit game.

Jermaniac
03-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Jermaniac goes outside and dances in the rain.

Hicks
03-20-2006, 06:58 PM
It sounds early, but it actually has been almost exactly 8 weeks since the injury, which was the time-table given at that time.

4 weeks in Feb. 3 weeks tomorrow in March. Plus the last 7 days of Jan = 8 weeks.

Suaveness
03-20-2006, 07:01 PM
I just hope he stays healthy.

CableKC
03-20-2006, 07:11 PM
As long as the Pacers "crack" medical team has cleared him....:rolleyes: .....he and Carlisle thinks that he is ready to return...then I am fine with it.

But I have a sinking feeling that after the season is over......win or lose....we will see a "I should have waited a little longer before returning" comment from JONeal.

I get the sense that he is rushing it a little......

Hicks
03-20-2006, 07:23 PM
WTHR just had a segment on this. Sounds like he'll be back this week. JO commented and I'd have to hear it again to be positive, but he sounded like the injury has healed.

D-BONE
03-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Let the final judgment commence on this team!! Once JO is back that is. If he is back in the near future, that's good on two levels. Reasonable sample by which to assess our full complement for upcoming personnel decisions and more time for the team to adapt yet again to coming and going players before the post-season, which I assume we will still make. You know what they say about assuming though.

rexnom
03-20-2006, 07:25 PM
As long as the Pacers "crack" medical team has cleared him....:rolleyes:
Classic

But I have a sinking feeling that after the season is over......win or lose....we will see a "I should have waited a little longer before returning" comment from JONeal.

I get the sense that he is rushing it a little......

I agree with this. I think this last slide has shown that we really need him. I think JO recognizes this. I just don't want his career to start mirroring Webber's. He should take some real time off after this season. Work on his conditioning or something because this can't go on.

diamonddave00
03-20-2006, 07:38 PM
I'm starting to agree that perhaps Jermaine should lose a few pounds . Ironicly much like with Rik Smits the injuries seem to have increased once he bulked up.

With Harrison's play improving perhaps JO's minutes at center will be lessened. If the team runs more a slightly sleeker Jermaine may fit in better. Garnett never bulked up and he is seldom injured , sometimes bigger isn't better when dealing with an athletes build.

Kaufman
03-20-2006, 07:53 PM
I guess I was wrong last week. My apologies.

Kaufman
03-20-2006, 07:54 PM
It's nice to see that JO isn't being cautious about the timetable. That must really mean he feels he's all better. As for Rick's trepidation, that's perfectly understandable considering how this medical staff has jerked him around repeatedly on the status of players.

I don't know that the medical staff is "jerking" him around, this is the nature of the business, it can be like predicting the weather.

Pacers#1Fan
03-20-2006, 08:07 PM
I just hope he plays next Monday in Miami. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!!

Los Angeles
03-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm starting to agree that perhaps Jermaine should lose a few pounds . Ironicly much like with Rik Smits the injuries seem to have increased once he bulked up.

With Harrison's play improving perhaps JO's minutes at center will be lessened. If the team runs more a slightly sleeker Jermaine may fit in better. Garnett never bulked up and he is seldom injured , sometimes bigger isn't better when dealing with an athletes build.
Four stars baby!!!

Great point and great post!

Tim
03-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Jermaniac goes outside and dances in the rain.

I rather him stay out and make sure its 100% healed. I don't want another playoffs where JO is not playing 100% healthy.

THe way the team is playing, they can probably hold this seed for a while longer without JO.

Shade
03-20-2006, 09:00 PM
:happydanc :woot2:

rexnom
03-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I rather him stay out and make sure its 100% healed. I don't want another playoffs where JO is not playing 100% healthy.

THe way the team is playing, they can probably hold this seed for a while longer without JO.

:iagree:

Kaufman
03-20-2006, 09:34 PM
From my experience, it is hard to keep a player out who is headstrong and wants to return. A lot of them don't listen to us and do what they want after listening. I don't know Jermaine though I know a small bit about the situation and I get a sense that he is much better but is rushing it a bit. But in the end if JO feels ready to make a return, little will stand in his way.

Jermaniac
03-20-2006, 11:28 PM
JO is 100% he has said he wont come back unless he is 100%, so JO is 100%. I think he will come back against the Bulls or the Pistons.

Moses
03-20-2006, 11:38 PM
I'm willing to bet JO is around 90-95% right now. 6-8 weeks was the original time we expected for him to miss and it's been 8 weeks. I'm pretty sure he's going to come back fully healed in all areas of his body.

TheHotShot31
03-21-2006, 01:00 AM
I have a feeling hes gonna come back against the Heat on Monday...Like how he came back from his shoulder injury last year at Miami.

Lithfan
03-21-2006, 03:11 AM
He is having too many injuries...

He better be pacient and stay out for another week or two at least.

Beowulfas
03-21-2006, 03:50 AM
He is having too many injuries...

He better be pacient and stay out for another week or two at least.

Just look at the Pacers schedule of the next 8 games...
Who else can save Pacers from going 2-6? :)

Lithfan
03-21-2006, 04:12 AM
Just look at the Pacers schedule of the next 8 games...
Who else can save Pacers from going 2-6? :)

Saras.:-o
and don't kill me....please....:laugh:

Beowulfas
03-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Saras.:-o
and don't kill me....please....:laugh:

In Rick's system Saras takes a ball to SG and goes to the corner to make every-third 3-pointer on every tenth possesion. No, it can not save Pacers :)

The only chance is couple of HUGE games from JO in next 8 games.

Jumper
03-21-2006, 11:07 AM
Ok so I go on Spring Break for a week and looks like Pacers took their lumps. Glad they slapped an L on the Kings.

Now that Jermaine looks to be back in a week or so, lets assume he is himself in 2 weeks, who do we start?

Just a thought:
Starters / First off the Pine
Harrison / Pollard
Oneal / Foster
Peja / Granger
SJax / Fred Jones
Tinsley / AJ

I like the idea of having David take the pounding off of Jermaine, plus I feel Foster and Pollard really feed off of each other. Moving AJ to the second unit ensures some offensive firepower (never did I ever imagine saying that.) So let the games begin...

Hicks
03-21-2006, 11:14 AM
Expect this:

Johnson/Tinsley (I don't like it either)
Jackson/Jones
Stojakovic/Jackson/Granger
O'Neal/Granger/Foster
Foster/Harrison

317Kim
03-21-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm excited :D

and just a thought...JO went from 142 lbs one summer to being 160 lbs :hmm:

CableKC
03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
If Croshere were to come back somewhat healthy...and/or Pollard wasn't nursing his foot.....then we wouldn't be as thin at the PF/C rotations....even with Granger getting extended minutes.

Combined with upcoming games against Philly, Milwaukee, Detroit and Miami...I wonder if part of the decision to come back soon is based off of playoff positioning along with Croshere's and Pollard's latest medical news.

Bball
03-21-2006, 12:44 PM

In 6th grade?

:-p

-Bball

btowncolt
03-21-2006, 12:50 PM

When he was 14?

Shade
03-21-2006, 01:09 PM
Expect this:

Johnson/Tinsley (I don't like it either)
Jackson/Jones
Stojakovic/Jackson/Granger
O'Neal/Granger/Foster
Foster/Harrison

Tins/Runi/AJ/Gill
Jack/Freddie
Peja/Danger
JO/Jeff
Pollard/Hulk

I can hope, can't I? :pray:

317Kim
03-21-2006, 01:26 PM
No, I think it was just last summer :shrug: I guess he just bulked up during the offseason or something.

CableKC
03-21-2006, 01:31 PM
No, I think it was just last summer :shrug: I guess he just bulked up during the offseason or something.

Don't you mean:

242 lbs one summer to being 260 lbs

317Kim
03-21-2006, 01:37 PM
Whoops :blush: Yes, I do.

Since86
03-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I highly doubt that he went from 242 to 260......

That might of been reported, and he might of said it, but physiology says those numbers are full of crap, espeically if it happened during one offseason.

To gain ten pounds of lean muscle mass is extremely hard to do, not to mention it takes quite a while, and to think of doubling that? Wow.....

He'd literally have to eat every 2-3hrs or so, lift everyday with a VERY strict regimen, and sleep whenever he isn't working out or eating.

I bet he was a lot closer to his top weight than reported, and I still bet he usually isn't within 5lbs of what they say he is. It's just like listing a player at 6'7" when in reality he's closer to 6'5".

317Kim
03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
I just found the article although I didn't cut out the date with it, It was reported by IS during the summer of 04.

ChicagoJ
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
A player's official listed weight is a goofy thing, because I doubt that very many players weigh what they are reported to weigh.

Weren't we told JO's weight went to 260 on the first day of training camp. I've assumed that is what the scales said and that he probably had a bit of baby fat that would come off as he worked into game shape.

Since86
03-21-2006, 03:18 PM
He should still definately loose some of that muscle. Sometimes your body just isn't made to hold muscle. The positives are always going to be outweighed by not being able to play.

He just doesn't play the position "powerfully," so why does he think he needs a powerfully built body? He just isn't made, or play, to bang.

DeS
03-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Tins/Runi/AJ/Gill
Jack/Freddie
Peja/Danger
JO/Jeff
Pollard/Hulk

I can hope, can't I? :pray:

Sorry, You can't :shrug: