PDA

View Full Version : Another Question For the Pacer Nation

Bball
03-20-2006, 04:39 AM
Are Pacer fans (particularly the ticket buying public) losing their patience? ...Or reaching the end of it?

All the talk about Sjax being booed has bubbled this question to the top. I've been wondering about it for a while. Let's not forget Artest was being booed while he was still a Pacer as he missed FT's shortly before he decided he wanted traded.

And there's been some boos raining down after some games as well. A growing chorus it seems like.

And it sure sounded like more than groans today (Sunday) when Tinsley kept bricking shots as if he was Stephen Jackson.

I can't ever remember fans really booing this much against their own team and players. Groans, certainly... but booing? And booing at the end of games?

And if some of you want to argue you've never heard it at the end of a game I'd have to ask if you've stuck around until the final buzzer of a blowout loss? I figure I paid my money and I'm watching the whole game, good or bad... win or lose... So I've never left a game early (altho that New York game was tempting ;) )

I've never added to the chorus of boos but I've certainly heard them. ...Along with hearing a few fans shouting for JO or Stephen to pass the ball. And that number seems to be growing. Sighs of disappointment have turned to groans and now even to boos it seems.

Is this more fallout over 11/19? Is this simply seeing a dream die in front of out eyes? We can't forget the season opened with people talking of Indy as a potentional "Title Town".

-Bball

D-BONE
03-20-2006, 06:33 AM
I would say people are getting fed up. I'm not one to boo. I never boo the home team, but those who do certainly have ample reason to do so.

The last three games I've been to are Atlanta, Denver, and Boston yesterday. Triple L. Maybe I'm bad luck and should stop going. I'm tired of paying money to watch those performances which are more the norm than, say, the Kings game-type performance at home, which included an extraordinary motivation to win.

It would be refreshing to hear Carlysle or the higer ups just once state what I have been thinking since the home opening debacle to Philly, "Our guys need to stop their whining, cut the crap, and get off their lazy a***s and play good team ball. Otherwise, heads will roll."

Losing is one thing, but not giving effort I can't stand to see. Too frequently this year I believe the team has given sub-par effort. Completely unacceptable. Despite the crowd's obvious dislike of certain individuals, I think it runs deeper than just one or two. I think this team is severely flawed when it comes to maturity, commitment, attitude, etc. Probably damaged beyond repair.

Skaut_Ech
03-20-2006, 07:37 AM
It would be refreshing to hear Carlysle or the higer ups just once state what I have been thinking since the home opening debacle to Philly, "Our guys need to stop their whining, cut the crap, and get off their lazy a***s and play good team ball. Otherwise, heads will roll."

Man, wouldn't that be a refreshing change of pace for the heart of conservatism that is Pacer's basketball?

I tell ya, BBall, whether we want to admit it or not, I think the fans feel like this team owes them something. 1//19 still looms over this team, big time. :unhappy: We had the season of destiny interrupted and I think the realization is finally sinking in that we missed our moment and the resentment is creeping in.

Especially given the product we're putting out on the floor. This isn't even that scrappy team that wanted to take on the world when we were hit by all the suspensions following the incident.

Yeah, I think the fans are basing their boos on resentment out of be ing chearted of possible great playoff memories and results.

Unclebuck
03-20-2006, 08:00 AM
The players are really frustrated also.

ChicagoJ
03-20-2006, 10:28 AM
This team is hard to like.

If they weren't wearing blue and gold, I'd have given up on them a long time ago.

Of course, the Ron-Artest version of this team was even harder to like, at least for me and I sense that I was never alone on that feeling. So this has been growing for a while.

Is Granger the only all-around likeable player/ person on this team?

Everyone else - even the other players/ people I like have glaring flaws that are getting harder and harder to ignore.

grace
03-20-2006, 10:34 AM

When was the last time you heard an NBA coach say that in public? You don't hear it so much anymore because the egos of the NBA player can't and won't take it.

Skaut_Ech
03-20-2006, 10:44 AM
But it's still heard. Sam Mitchell has been publically lambasting his team an d whipping them into shape.

Larry Brown does it all the time.

Phil Jackson has a very condescending way of doing it in public.

Van Gundy does it.

As I think about it, I think it happens far more than you'd think.

Bball
03-20-2006, 11:02 AM
But it's still heard. Sam Mitchell has been publically lambasting his team an d whipping them into shape.

Larry Brown does it all the time.

Phil Jackson has a very condescending way of doing it in public.

Van Gundy does it.

As I think about it, I think it happens far more than you'd think.

Let's say we had a coach that would do that...

That brings up this old nugget... "If a tree falls in a Pacer forest, and there is only a Star sports writer there to see it, does it get reported?"

I think that is how the saying goes ;)

-Bball

bulletproof
03-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Is Granger the only all-around likeable player/ person on this team?

I like Peja as well. And if Jermaine can stay healthy and Rick opens up the offense, I'd like him more I think. I was starting to like Harrison, but he has a nasty temper that is starting to wear thin. I don't really care for any of our PGs. Freddie's okay, I guess, and Scot is a colorful guy. Foster. Yeah, I like Jeff. He's a guts and hustle guy. But beyond that... I do believe that management needs to start thinking about the idea that Granger may very well be our next Reggie, not Jermaine.

D-BONE
03-20-2006, 12:10 PM
The players are really frustrated also.

Yes and it shows constantly! In their interaction, play, and general demeanor. I'm sure two consecutive years of blunted championship aspirations are difficult, but what happened to the dark cloud that lifted when we finally got rid of Artest? There was a streak of renewed, inspired play despite JO's injury. Now it just seems like we're drifting back into the same morass of apathy of the pre-trade period.

Why is it so difficult for them to get up for games? Why do they consistently fail to play complete games? Why do they consistently seem to play worse at home? All I get is this feeling of major dissension amongst the ranks. I mean the coaches are wearing their frustration on their sleeves, too.

I'll reiterate that it's not just about the not winning for me. It's about the way they play. I discern no concerted, on-going effort to really band together and take on the challenges they've been presented with. This is what I mean when I say I'm starting to wonder if this entire group hasn't been permanently ruined by the goings on of the last couple years.

Aw Heck
03-20-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with what most people have said so far. It has been said that Pacers fans are among the brightest basketball-wise in the league. And I agree with that. We love basketball, know basketball, and know what we like to see when we watch a game. We like to see loyalty, effort, fundamentals, hustle, unselfishness, and good, smart basketball decisions.

And when we don't see that from the Pacers, the crowd shows their disapproval. It's why Jackson (dumb basketball decisions, selfishness) and Jones (bad decisions) get booed so much. It's why Foster (hustle, effort), Granger (smart basketball player, unselfish), and Peja (fundamentals, unselfishness) have strong followings. Look back at the most popular Pacers and you'll see most of these traits as well. It's probably why '90s Pacers were very popular.

The post-brawl team had the crowd behind them not only because they were short-handed underdogs, but because they played the way we like to see the game played.

Suaveness
03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
I enjoy watching Foster play. I believe that he epitomizes what Pacer fans want to see. Hard working, laying it out on the line type mentality. We get real sick of the whiney, crybabyish attitude that this team has. And that goes for Jermaine as well, because I just don't see that type of love of his game like they had for Reggie.