PDA

View Full Version : Austin Croshere is out indefinitely.

Hicks
03-19-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm surprised no one had made a thread about this before I got home from the game.

But I was listening to the post-game show, and they played a clip of Rick from before the game. He said after contract drills the past few days, Austin has been experiencing symptoms of the concussions he had months back, and so the Pacers are shelving him for the time being. My guess? JO could be back before Cro is.

Unclebuck
03-19-2006, 08:06 PM
There is an article on Pacers.com about this.

Cro should sit out the rest of the season. No reason to take any chances on something like this

Bball
03-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Sounds like Austin's career might be in jeopardy.

This is going on a little too long.

-Bball

Gamble
03-19-2006, 08:10 PM
Great! I guess we shouldn't be suprised the way this season and
so many others have gone. I sympathize with Austin because I just got
the crap kicked out of me in a bb tournament. Everytime I bite
down my ear sounds like it has a plastic candy wrapper in it.
The mourning should feel great and snow to boot.

Bball
03-19-2006, 08:10 PM
BTW... to pick up Peck's flag and run with it...
Why haven't the Pacers signed someone to help take some load off our depleted front line?

If Harrison or Foster comes down with an injury or falls apart heading into the playoffs (Pollard is already about used up) no one should be wondering why the Pacers have such bad luck with injuries. There will be a reason and it will be because the Pacer$ refu$ed to addre$$ a thin, weakened and injury depleted frontline. Not $ure what excu$e or rea$on they'd have for thi$ lap$e in judgement.

-Bball

Gamble
03-19-2006, 08:14 PM
I hear they are about done with the simon headquarters$.

Kaufman
03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
You all will remember me comparing this to Steve Young/Troy Aikman.

BBall has it right. If this was one of my players I'd talk to him about a second line of employment.

Kaufman
03-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I'll find out more this week from some friends but I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that Croshere won't play basketball again for the Pacers. And if he does I don't think it will be this year.

I don't know anything for a fact, I'm going off what I'd heard a few weeks ago after all star weekend and the information Hicks has provided. Been busy with my team, though that busyness ended in defeat today.

OTD
03-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Boy one more of the big men go down, and we can kiss this year good bye. I wish someone would tell why they are wearing the front line down to nothing.

Doug
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
So, not to trivialize Cro's injury, but...

Assuming he's done. As in, retired, we could apply for a salary cap exception for him and insurance picks up his salary for next year? Just like Bender?

Bender and Austin combine for $17.3 mil next year. And Scot and Gill combine for another $7.

That puts us at, what, $44 million. Not counting Peja and Fred.

Edit: I'm not sure what the cap will be for next year, but that should put us well UNDER it.

Outlaw
03-19-2006, 09:19 PM
It would be sad If this brings his career to an abrupt end.:cry: Not the way anyone would want to go out.

Los Angeles
03-19-2006, 09:30 PM
It would be sad If this brings his career to an abrupt end.:cry: Not the way anyone would want to go out.
Well, at least he was able to prove this year that he still "had it."

If it is over for him, at least he went out at the top of his game.

Believe_in_blue
03-19-2006, 09:43 PM
I want Cro to be able to play again, but at least if he is forced to retire he shouldnt ever go broke. He is one of the most over-paid in the NBA.

Kegboy
03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm of the opinion that Austin should just sit for the rest of the season. I know how nasty just one concussion can be, but the idea of recurring symptoms from playing is just too scary to contemplate. I'd rather he just defer coming back then stress about it now when he's obviously not right.

As for his salary, it wouldn't come off until 1 year after the injury, which would be next January. It'll save the Simons some money, but coming off the cap a few months before his contract were to end wouldn't have any practical benefit.

Los Angeles
03-19-2006, 09:53 PM
I'm of the opinion that Austin should just sit for the rest of the season. I know how nasty just one concussion can be, but the idea of recurring symptoms from playing is just too scary to contemplate. I'd rather he just defer coming back then stress about it now when he's obviously not right.

As for his salary, it wouldn't come off until 1 year after the injury, which would be next January. It'll save the Simons some money, but coming off the cap a few months before his contract were to end wouldn't have any practical benefit.
If he retires this summer, he could be traded for a longer contract from a team seeking cap relief the following year.

Anthem
03-19-2006, 10:01 PM
So, not to trivialize Cro's injury, but...
I was asking myself the same kinds of questions.

The weird thing is that we've gone from being a deep team to a relatively shallow team, even with everybody healthy. I don't mean we'd have problems putting a group on the floor, I just mean if we keep losing players it's going to be hard to do some of those 2-for-1 trades we've been begging for.

But at least we're set on point guards!

Kaufman
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss.

It was a sad loss. We played them well but the players make some questionable decisions coming down the stretch. Largely due to immaturity. But they'll learn. And we'll start again next year. Rajon's not leaving (I don't think).

Kegboy
03-19-2006, 10:15 PM
But at least we're set on point guards!

And we can always play Gill at SF in a pinch! :banghead:

As for getting a body, Chicago signed Luke Schenscher a couple weeks back, somebody I feel we really missed the boat on. You all may remember him from Georgia Tech's run in the NCAA's a couple years back.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/luke_schenscher/index.html?nav=page

skyfire
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
And we can always play Gill at SF in a pinch! :banghead:

As for getting a body, Chicago signed Luke Schenscher a couple weeks back, somebody I feel we really missed the boat on. You all may remember him from Georgia Tech's run in the NCAA's a couple years back.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/luke_schenscher/index.html?nav=page

Chicago has a history of signing 7ft Australian's with red hair.

Good to see Luke given a shot at the NBA after deciding to hang around in the D-league. Hopefully the Bulls complete lack of height might mean that he can turn this 2nd 10day contract into a rest of the season deal. He has been playing reasonably solid so far...

Doug
03-20-2006, 09:51 AM
As for his salary, it wouldn't come off until 1 year after the injury, which would be next January.

Yes, the 1 year waiting period. I knew I was missing something, I just couldn't put my finger on exactly what.

Chauncey
03-20-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm 100% positive that Cro will not be back on the basketball court this season, nor should he. Its not worth it.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Exactly what are the recurring symptoms of a concussion?
Blurred vision? Headaches? Dizziness? What

grace
03-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Exactly what are the recurring symptoms of a concussion?
Blurred vision? Headaches? Dizziness? What

Post concussion symptoms commonly include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, poor memory, poor concentration, irritability, depression, sleep disturbance, frustration, restlessness, sensitivity to noise, blurred vision, double vision, photophobia, nausea and tinnitus.

http://www.medical-journals.com/r03109c.htm

All of which really suck when you're trying to play professional basketball.

Shade
03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
That sucks. Looks like we have our playoff roster now by default.

Take it easy Cro.

Moses
03-20-2006, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't pencil him out for the rest of the season. Carlisle made it seem that he had a few small post-concussion symptoms they didn't want to take any chances on so they are just going to sit him for now. I think he'll be back by the end of the season from what I got out of what Carlisle said.

Since86
03-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't pencil him out for the rest of the season. Carlisle made it seem that he had a few small post-concussion symptoms they didn't want to take any chances on so they are just going to sit him for now. I think he'll be back by the end of the season from what I got out of what Carlisle said.

If he's having any complications at all from only his second concussion, then both must of been really bad.

Combine that with what Kauffman has said, someone with experience and a source for what's going on, they need to treat it VERY seriously.

Kaufman
03-21-2006, 03:33 PM
If he's having any complications at all from only his second concussion, then both must of been really bad.

Combine that with what Kauffman has said, someone with experience and a source for what's going on, they need to treat it VERY seriously.

I got to tell ya - concussions aren't very common in basketball. Its such a low contact sport in the big picture, when compared to something like football and even baseball, where guys might not get hit in the head chronically, but when they do get drilled by a pitch or hit a wall trying to make a catch, it hurts. Because my medical license and reputation are at stake, I would tend to keep a guy like Croshere out of the lineup, indefinitely or even permanently. See, the risks are TOO great, and the thing is, a few hits in the noggin and the outcomes are poor. Life threatening poor. Quality of life threatening poor, to say the least. Exhibit A: See Cassius Clay; Muhammad Ali. A guy who had a few hits too many.

Austin's a smart guy and I've got to think that he won't take too many risks. He's made his money. As far as getting inside info, seems that things related to Austin are pretty mum in Pacer camp. But things don't look good, says a friend. Of course, he's been wrong in some speculation related to JO so lets see.

Since86
03-21-2006, 05:33 PM
Doesn't complications tend to say that the brain has had very severve trauma? If he's having symptoms while just playing, I'd hate to see what happens if he gets hit, even if it's by an errant pass.

Because it is so low impact, having complications without much happening in the head area would seem like an even bigger redflag to me.

Kaufman
03-21-2006, 07:28 PM
Well, what is probably going on right now is they are trying to decipher whether or not the symptoms he is having is related to the concussions. I don't know the whole story about what is going on here, but it's not a given that he's had "very severe trauma", it can be from a lot of small hits that he's taken over the years, and now things are adding up in a cumulative sort of way. Lets see how this all plays out but I have to think that things might be a bit bleak.