PDA

View Full Version : So... were we supposed to get Kevin Martin?

Anthem
03-18-2006, 01:12 AM
I've heard that in passing a couple of times now, but never from anything resembling an official source.

Supposedly, the initial offer was Ron for Peja+Martin. After Ron's agent went psycho, the asking price dropped.

Any truth to that? Where's that rumor come from?

Ragnar
03-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I think we have enough players at his postition anyway.

btowncolt
03-18-2006, 10:43 AM
We were.

CableKC
03-18-2006, 11:14 AM
I think we have enough players at his postition anyway.
He could have easily replaced Freddie as a backup SG....and lessened the need to replace him....and freeing up $$$ to resign Peja.

Kegboy
03-18-2006, 11:15 AM
I kind of felt that was wishful thinking on fans' parts. Either Martin or Garcia would have been sweet. Oh well. :shrug:

Hicks
03-18-2006, 11:37 AM
I've heard it through a "source" and I believe Kaufman alluded to their being two sets of medical reports from Sacramento originally, not just Peja's.

Kegboy
03-18-2006, 11:44 AM
I've heard it through a "source" and I believe Kaufman alluded to their being two sets of medical reports from Sacramento originally, not just Peja's.

Okay, I'm gonna go cry now. **** Ron. **** him straight to hell.

No, check that. I'm gonna go bash myself in the head until I stop thinking about how great it would be to have a young SG with size who would be a perfect compliment to Fred and let us get rid of Blackhole Jr. once and for all.

:banghead:

Kaufman
03-18-2006, 12:11 PM

We did get two sets, and as before, me and the buddy who told me deduced that this second player would be thrown into the deal before it went down, but I don't know if the P's were going to include anyone on the way out with Ron - I suppose if I knew the salary dynamics I would presume that another Pacer was going to be leaving to match the salary of this said 2nd player (who I have never named and probably won't for some while, to protect my source). So I won't confirm or deny hearing that it was Martin. I will say this, it wasn't Brad Miller.

Hicks
03-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, I'll take a look at the numbers.

Going by hoopshype.com's salary #s, we acquired Peja at $7,600,000, sending out Ron Artest at $6,500,000.

Kevin Martin makes $937,440 this season. I believe that would make the salaries within 131% of each other, which does not work under the CBA.

Now according to ESPN.com's Trade Machine numbers, which I have to assume are more likely to be accurate than HoopsHype, Ron Artest makes $6,842,105, Peja Stojakovic makes $7,525,000, and Kevin Martin makes $937,440.

That would make the salaries come within 124% of each other, which does work under the CBA.

Kaufman
03-18-2006, 04:08 PM
So if you heard from another source that the second player was supposed to be Kevin Martin then maybe there wasn't a throw in player from our side. To be honest with you though, I didn't do the math and look at the numbers so I had assumed there was going to be a second player from our side. That's still not to say that it was or wasn't Kevin Martin who was involved, but if you feel comfortable with your source, then I say run with it young man!

VF21
03-18-2006, 04:14 PM
I've heard that in passing a couple of times now, but never from anything resembling an official source.

Supposedly, the initial offer was Ron for Peja+Martin. After Ron's agent went psycho, the asking price dropped.

Any truth to that? Where's that rumor come from?

From what I have heard, there were initial talks involving more players, but Kevin Martin wasn't one of them.

03-18-2006, 04:52 PM
No No No! I wouldnt stand watching a Basketball proffessional with such an ugly stroke... no hard feelings, thats just me!

VF21
03-18-2006, 04:57 PM
He's one of Petrie's new young guns and he's just beginning to show what he might achieve. As far as his stroke goes, I'd remind you to look at Reggie's...It was a bit unorthodox, too. It doesn't matter how it starts, it matters how it finishes.

;)

VF21
03-18-2006, 05:00 PM
You know you're not sorry. ;)

http://www.techhelpers.net/e4u/animal/460.gif

Artest is the best!
03-18-2006, 05:01 PM
wow to bad you guys couldnt get him.i still cant believe all you guys got back was a soft player who makes a clutch shot every blue moon.

Mourning
03-18-2006, 05:07 PM
wow to bad you guys couldnt get him.i still cant believe all you guys got back was a soft player who makes a clutch shot every blue moon.

Ah well, it's pretty good considering we traded for someone on the team that:

1) can't stand the pressure of the play-offs and
2) needs psychological help more then anything, Ron is traumatized. And well IF he's not ... then wow! Then it's even worse for you guys.

Anyway, thanks for handing us Peja for this guy! :cheers:

Goodnight! ;)

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

BlueNGold
03-18-2006, 08:16 PM

Better than a soft in the head player. Have fun with the idiot.

BTW, I truly feel bad for Sac. and their fans. They have great fans over there who will be very disappointed when Mo-Ron explodes.

sweabs
03-18-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm glad to see this is a topic, because I came across some interesting info. regarding this subject.

While I was waiting in line for the Kings game on Fri. night, I was behind a cute little kid wearing a Kevin Martin jersey and his Mom. I tapped him on the shoulder and said "He's one heck of a player" (I'm a closet Kevin Martin fan...love his game).

Him and his Mom turn around, and the Mom says "Hah! That's his cousin!"

So I spoke with her for a bit, and she mentioned how it was so hard for her son to wear Kevin's jersey even though he was a Pacers fan, and I said I'm sure there can be an exception.

Anyway, I carried on the topic from there (paraphrasing):

Me: "You know...I actually heard that he was supposed to originally be a part of the Ron/Peja deal before Ron went ahead and screwed things up".

Her: "Yep...of course Ron had to go and do that. But yeah, we live in Richmond and were excited at the possibility of him becoming a Pacer when he originally told us (as part of the Peja deal). Then Ron had to mix things up, and he was no longer included".

Me: "Damn".

Anyway...I love Kevin's game. It bothers me that we were supposed to get him.

Kegboy
03-18-2006, 11:02 PM
:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Wait a second, why I am I shooting myself when it's Ron's fault...

:maniac: :maniac: :maniac: :maniac:

Hicks
03-18-2006, 11:06 PM
Well, that makes it sound pretty damn likely on top of what I was told.

VF21
03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
Nope, not true. The proof is pretty elementary. Peja did not play when the trade was initially coming down; Martin did. In fact, he started that night against Philadelphia while Peja was being shuttled back and forth, not knowing he hadn't been traded until he reportedly heard it on ESPN. I don't know which relative of Kevin's you talked to, but I have a pretty credible source in addition to the obvious above who said he was NOT part of the first deal.

There were a plethora of rumors floating around. People went nuts using realGM to try and figure salary matches and possible scenarios.

The relatives of the players and the players themselves very rarely know about deals until they're completed.

sweabs
03-19-2006, 12:14 AM
The relatives of the players and the players themselves very rarely know about deals until they're completed.

It sounded like the reason they knew about it was simply because of the fact that they lived in Indiana and were such big Pacers fans. If anything, I'm sure he would have been happy to tell them of such news, which it sounded like he did.

I'm not going to question whether these people were relatives either. The Mom seemed to know a lot about Kevin, and Kevin's little cousin himself looked very VERY similar to him.

VF21
03-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Martin may have heard he was being considered via the grapevine but he would not have been told anything formally until and unless the papers were signed. Petrie is really anal about that kind of thing...

I'm pretty sure you met relatives. We at KF are lucky enough to have several of Kevin's family members read and/or post on our board and I know a number of them were in attendance yesterday.

I think the trade part might have been exaggerated but not intentionally.

Bottom line, however, is it doesn't matter because it didn't happen. Martin is ours and you can't have him. ;)

Cheers.

:buddies: