PDA

View Full Version : O’Neal Returns To Practice

Hicks
03-16-2006, 07:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/oneal_practice_030616.html

O’Neal Returns To Practice

By Conrad Brunner | March 16, 2006<hr> Lost amid the hubbub surrounding Ron Artest's return to Conseco Fieldhouse was a substantial development Thursday: Jermaine O'Neal returned to practice for the first time since tearing a groin muscle in late January, stirring hope the five-time All-Star could return before the playoffs begin.

<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/rick_carlisle.jpg
<center>Carlisle</center></td></tr></tbody></table> "It's certainly a step in the right direction," said Coach Rick Carlisle. "He continues to make gradual progress so we'll just hope things keep getting better. …
"He looked good. He's not conditioned to the point where he can go out there and play a full game yet but he's working hard to get to the point where he can come back and hopefully it's sooner rather than later. We'll see."

O'Neal resumed individual workouts a week ago but this was his first chance for a full-contact practice with the team. He remained on the court long after practice concluded for a rigorous individual session under the supervision of assistant coach Chuck Person and strength and conditioning coach Shawn Windle.

<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/jermaine_oneal.jpg
<center>O'Neal</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
"The severity of (the injury) it was pretty bad but I'm right on pace for where I need to be," O'Neal said. "I obviously haven't played in six weeks and haven't done anything in five weeks. It's been tough trying to get back in shape but as far as the injury, I've moving pretty well. I'm just not in shape right now.

"Everything's going well for me. It's going well. My goal from the start was to get to the playoffs healthy. I'm a little bit ahead as far as returning a little bit earlier. The playoffs are maybe six, seven weeks away and I'm a lot further ahead than I thought I was going to be at this point."

Neither Carlisle nor O'Neal would put a target date on his return, though O'Neal indicated he might be able to play some regular season games before the playoffs begin. His original goal was to be back for the postseason.

"I don't know," Carlisle said. "I'm not going to throw a date out there because I don't think that's fair. A lot of things can happen between now and then. I just think it's important that he's out here, he's working as hard as he can to get back and when the time is right he'll know."

O'Neal has yet to play with new acquisition Peja Stojakovic and said he's looking forward to that, as well as fitting into the new more up-tempo offense Carlisle has implemented since his injury.

"I'm a key part of this team," he said. "We've got a lot of good things going on out there. I'm really intrigued with the way Coach Carlisle has changed the offense. I think I can really benefit along with my teammates with all of us playing together."

The Pacers are 14-13 in games O'Neal has missed this season, 18-17 with him in the lineup. He's the team leader in scoring (20.9), rebounds (9.8) and blocked shots (2.2).

=====

I guess my thought is, if he's participating in full-contact practices as of today, why would it take 5 weeks to go from full-contact practice to regular games? Full contact is hardly babying an injury.

Shade
03-16-2006, 07:50 PM
:woot2:

SoupIsGood
03-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Please come back soon JO! The team misses you....

Hmmm, notice the "We are better without JO" discussions haven't been around much lately.... interesting

Will Galen
03-16-2006, 08:04 PM
[url]I guess my thought is, if he's participating in full-contact practices as of today, why would it take 5 weeks to go from full-contact practice to regular games? Full contact is hardly babying an injury.

JO has said he wants to be 100% when he comes back. I think he'll play in up to ten games before the post season starts.

SoupIsGood
03-16-2006, 08:05 PM
JO has said he wants to be 100% when he comes back. I think he'll play in up to ten games before the post season starts.

I hope he comes back at 100%, and can stay there for the playoffs. He is amazing when he has no nagging injuries.

Moses
03-16-2006, 08:31 PM
Agreed. JO is close to useless when he's injured.

Playing in a more up-tempo offense should help his body as well.

owl
03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I think he needs to lose a little weight also. The extra bulk has not been
good for him. Extra strength and conditioning is what he needs and not so
much mass.

owl

Jermaniac
03-16-2006, 08:47 PM
Great One is coming back soon, I cant wait.

Lord Helmet
03-16-2006, 09:11 PM
It shall be very nice when #7 returns.....:devil:

ChicagoJ
03-16-2006, 10:08 PM
No rush. I want a healthy JO on the court as much as anybody. But I also want him to be able to stay on the court for the rest of the playoffs.

heywoode
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM

We just signed GRETZKY??!!

kickass!

brichard
03-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Who's this O'neal fellow? Is this the guy on IR?

Jermaniac
03-16-2006, 11:22 PM
We just signed GRETZKY??!!

kickass!He a race car driver?

Kaufman
03-17-2006, 12:34 AM
We're still looking at going into the 1st to 2nd week into April, @ the earliest.

Pacers#1Fan
03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
God I hope he plays in Miami!

sunsun
03-17-2006, 09:51 AM
God I hope he plays in Miami!
me too.i can watch pacers vs miami in China.i hope jermaine play in that game.:D :D :D

penn13
03-17-2006, 10:02 AM
The Pacers are 14-13 in games O'Neal has missed this season, 18-17 with him in the lineup. He's the team leader in scoring (20.9), rebounds (9.8) and blocked shots (2.2).

Take your time JO.

Hicks
03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
We're still looking at going into the 1st to 2nd week into April, @ the earliest.

I don't understand why that is. If it's still 3-4 weeks until he's ready to play a game, why is he considered healthy enough for full-contact practicing now? That is not a big step down in terms of physicality at all.

OnlyPacersLeft
03-17-2006, 03:39 PM
wooooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChicagoJ
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't understand why that is. If it's still 3-4 weeks until he's ready to play a game, why is he considered healthy enough for full-contact practicing now? That is not a big step down in terms of physicality at all.

It will probably take him 3-4 days to recover from this first practice.

Its a groin injury, he's waaaayy out of basketball shape, even if he's been jogging.

He needs two weeks to get back in shape, and another week to get his timing down. And it will be another week or so after that until he can go full-speed in back-to-backs.

Hicks
03-17-2006, 04:02 PM
If the issue is game-shape and timing, why not put him out there next week?

Since86
03-17-2006, 04:11 PM
If the issue is game-shape and timing, why not put him out there next week?

The first issue is to see how your body reacts.

It could be repaired, but it could possibly be not strong enough to handle rigorous exercise very much.

He needs to take his time is assessing how strong the tissue is.

ChicagoJ
03-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Until he's 100%, he's a significant risk to re-tear the muscle.

This is a torn adductor muscle he's recovering from, he can go from feeling no pain to out for another 8-10 weeks in one jump.

This is not the same tendonitis, where you can play at 85% and just put up with the pain and swelling.

Eindar
03-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Until he's 100%, he's a significant risk to re-tear the muscle.

This is a torn adductor muscle he's recovering from, he can go from feeling no pain to out for another 8-10 weeks in one jump.

This is not the same tendonitis, where you can play at 85% and just put up with the pain and swelling.

I'm guessing this is why Fred Taylor had so much trouble with his groin in Jacksonville? Let's all just pray this doesn't become a chronic problem for JO. Nothing like being saddled with a 14+ million per year Bender. :(

Believe_in_blue
03-17-2006, 04:46 PM
I would like to see him play al least 5 games before the playoffs. I know it's impossible for them to jel that ammount of games but it gives them time to start playing together a little and they can make a lot of progress going into the second round.

ChicagoJ
03-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing this is why Fred Taylor had so much trouble with his groin in Jacksonville? Let's all just pray this doesn't become a chronic problem for JO. Nothing like being saddled with a 14+ million per year Bender. :(

I gave a long, boring story on here a few weeks ago about the time I tore my adductor in my track-and-field career.

I'd actually pulled that muscle for the first time shortly before my first knee surgery, and I ended up with relatively minor groin pulls my junior (sat out a couple races) and senior seasons, before I really tore it up later in my senior season.

This is why I keep repeating that its important for him to heal completely before returning to the court.

317Kim
03-17-2006, 04:59 PM
This is all great news and I'd love to see him play asap but at the same time, I want him to take his time coming back.

but anyhow :woot2: Great news!

Anthem
03-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I'd actually pulled that muscle for the first time shortly before my first knee surgery, and I ended up with relatively minor groin pulls my junior (sat out a couple races) and senior seasons, before I really tore it up later in my senior season.

This is why I keep repeating that its important for him to heal completely before returning to the court.
Given your situation, it sounds like we'd have to rest him for another year or so before he's "completely healthy." Is that true?

ChicagoJ
03-18-2006, 12:37 AM
No.

The doctors said that when I tweaked it as a senior that it was unrelated to the injury as a junior. I do think there's an increased propensity to repeat the injury even after its completely healed, but that's life and JO's going to need to learn how to make sure those muscles are warm.

My biggest problem was that I continued to race on it when I was only about 75% healthy. I'd spend all week getting ready to race, and hope to hold it together for four races in the same day, and then repeat the process again the next week. I was playing with fire because I only had a three meets (our invitationa, Districts and Nationals) left in my career, so there wasn't any point in sitting until I really tore it up.

If we were playing in the NBA Finals next week, I'd be saying something different. Right now, there's still plenty of time for him to get 100% healthy before the playoffs.

Anthem
03-18-2006, 01:13 AM
If we were playing in the NBA Finals next week, I'd be saying something different. Right now, there's still plenty of time for him to get 100% healthy before the playoffs.
Fair enough.

If he's ready for full contact but waiting for the thing to heal, how far out would you say he is?

ChicagoJ
03-18-2006, 01:16 AM
My guess is three weeks.

He's a tough kid, we forget about that 'cause he's had a series of freaky injuries lately.