PDA

View Full Version : Odd thoughts on losing to Denver

Hicks
03-16-2006, 10:52 AM
What? Hicks?? What the hell is this?

Don't worry, I'm just the messenger. Peck posted his latest on PD-2 ( http://pacersdigest.proboards22.com/index.cgi ) while PD was down, and I wanted to make sure most didn't miss it:

I'm not sure how this one will go because I am going on very little sleep at the moment & I'm not sure I have a lot to say, but here goes.

I'd like to see us get back to a point where Jeff Foster didn't have to grab so many rebounds. Don't get me wrong I am very happy with the way he has been boarding lately but I think we are just more effective when we split the rebounding up across the front line a little better. I know both Granger & Harrison grabbed some boards & Jackson grabbed a few as well but Pedja only grabbed 2 & A.J. took home the Reggie Miller trophy for the night.

It was nice to see Cro back on the floor but it was obvious right off the bat that he is not in basketball shape & I wonder how long it will take for him to get into game shape.

But of course for every player we return another takes his place on the pine. Pollard has probably maxed out his body if you want the truth. We probably will be seeing Scot about every other game now, in particular weeks where we are going to have lots of games. Would he have helped out during that game? Sure. We only lost by 2 so any points he would have brought to the floor would have helped. Plus I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that we are just a better team when we stay big.

The team of Foster & Pollard wrecks havoc with the opposition & I think given time that Harrison & Cro will be the same way.

Speaking of Harrison, we'll get back to his outburst later, is there a reason we only got the guy the ball 4 times? In fact one of those times he got an offensive rebound. The Nuggets weren't doing anything special to keep the ball from him that I could see & every time he got the ball down low he was able to do something with it. David, more than anybody, will suffer from Saras not playing because he knew how to feed David & where to feed him at.

Now to the outburst, well let's go before that. He threw one elbow for sure into Andre Miller & I'm pretty sure that he caught Mellow with one as well. I have a feeling that once Stu Jackson reviews the tape of the game that either one of these alone will merit a one game vacation for David.

Then throw into this his outburst & the way he wouldn't leave the playing floor...... Well, let's just say I won't be surprised if David Harrison is not at the Kings game on Friday. Which will suck, because we will need him more than ever because Brad Miller will kill us if Pollard cannot play.

Other than that though I thought David just had an ok game. I wanted him to be more aggressive than he was on the rebounding end of things, although in the second half he did start to grab some boards. He is getting better at overall defense as well.

We have somehow got to get it so that Stephen Jackson & Pedja switch shooting numbers. To me, without a doubt, Pedja needs to be the # 1 option on the offensive end right now. The guy can just flat out score, he can score in ways that I never knew he could score. Why Rick feels the need to make Jackson the primary option so often is beyond me. I'm not saying don't let Jax shoot, but I am saying that the guy needs to not have the green light to shoot as often as he does & for God's sake I don't know that we need to run as many plays for him as we do.

Jackson has just been horrid from the field lately. I don't know what his % was from beyond 5 feet in that game but I'm guessing it wasn't even 30%. I know he has to get frustrated with the way the fans do treat him & I'll admit I think there is some level of unfairness to it as well. But at the end of the day fans don't like players who shoot so many times in a row & take shots far away from the basket early in the shot clock & then to miss as often as he does.

I mean the guy actually plays defense & on occasion he does pass well (just not enough) but he has got to quite shooting poor shots so early in the shot clock.

Not to be outdone with the poor shooting from the floor would be Jamaal Tinsley. I liked this guy so much better when he was a pass first point guard. I know he can score & I know he can take almost anyone on off of the dribble, but for the love of God if he feels he must shoot so much would it be to much to ask to try & hit at least 40% of your shots?

Also what the hell kind of defense was that he was playing vs. Andre Miller? I couldn't tell if that was Miller or Wade at times because he would just waltz up the lane like he owned it, which I guess he did.

Really though who on our team played stellar defense in that game? Foster did a good job & I honestly would have rather them switch him onto Anthony & let Granger be the weak side defender for the second half. But other than Foster & a few min. by Granger & Harrison I thought the rest of our team defense was lousy. I attribute some of that to Denver's style of play but the rest I don't know what to say?

I want to touch on the Saraunus thing for a min. if I can.

This is my best guess & it's a guess only. One of three things will happen with this.

1. After the season Saras requests a trade & Bird will try to accommodate him.

2. Bird will fire Carlisle so Saras will stick around & play more for the new coach that Bird brings in.

3. Either A.J. or Tins goes back down with injury & Saras plays so well that he keeps his spot in the rotation after that.

Out of the three above scenarios I think # 3 is the least likely.

I don't know about the other two.

It's been apparent for some time now that Rick just doesn't trust Saras. In the star article about all of this Rick did a very poor job of hiding the fact that he had contempt for the way Saras was handling playing the shooting guard role.

I'm not saying right or wrong either way, I'm just saying that's what it seems like to me.

I will say this though, if this is the way the season will end for Saras I'm more p!ssed than even any of his Euro or American fans are.

Why, you ask?

Simple, we paid our free agent money to him to come here & did not offer Dale Davis a contract at all. Now with all of the inner turmoil that this team had he might not have signed anyway, but his agent over the summer said on two different occasions that he wanted to stay here & was waiting on a contract.

If this is all we are going to do with Saras than I'm sorry I'd rather have paid Dale to come here & even if he didn't play a damn min. in a game it would have been worth the money to have him teach David Harrison how to defend & rebound like a big man.

Pssssssssssttttttttttt...... here's a secret as well. Dale Davis would still have been our starting Center for as long as his body would have been able to take it. Then when he couldn't do it anymore it would have been a smooth natural change into David Harrison.

But no, we had to go sign another point guard. One that Rick will not even use.

I am really questioning Bird's ability to put together a team. Not from a talent standpoint but from a chemistry standpoint.

What did he think the reaction was going to be from three players all of whom deserve min. on the floor?

I think where Larry might have screwed up was that he maybe didn't sit down with Saras & talk about his desire to play shooting guard. I think Bird just thought he'd be ok with it.

Should Saras be ok with it? I'm not gonna say one way or the other but this is something the team should have known right from the start.

I do think either Rick or Saras is going to have to go for next season though.

Anyway, sorry this isn't any better than this. I'm still suffering from my writers block & I am a little tired right now. Maybe I'll tackle some more of this on Thursday.

D-BONE
03-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Well, Harrison has got to maintain more composure simple as that. Saw a couple other instances of frustration welling up. Jackson and Tinsley had their moments, although briefly and not nearly as extreme as DH's outburst. Guess being on the receiving end of an a** whoopin' will do that.

Agreed JT's D was non-existent during a stretch in the 2nd half and I don't know how wise it is to continuously penetrate looking for shots against a roaming human eraser like Camby. Seemed like some of this developed out of Tins getting involved in one of his personal battles with Miller once it became evident he was getting torched on D.

I don't know. I'm just not impressed lately. Last night waited til mid-3rd quarter to show any intensity. Especially defensively was just horrible. the first two thirds of the game. Back to back or whatever. Just a lot of home losses and close losses. Getting too late in the season for excuses.

bulletproof
03-16-2006, 12:22 PM
We have somehow got to get it so that Stephen Jackson & Pedja switch shooting numbers. To me, without a doubt, Pedja needs to be the # 1 option on the offensive end right now. The guy can just flat out score, he can score in ways that I never knew he could score. Why Rick feels the need to make Jackson the primary option so often is beyond me. I'm not saying don't let Jax shoot, but I am saying that the guy needs to not have the green light to shoot as often as he does & for God's sake I don't know that we need to run as many plays for him as we do.

:amen:

Kegboy
03-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Now, I could have sworn last summer Dale was offered a contract that wasn't to his liking. :shrug:

Since86
03-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I didn't get to see but a few mins of last nights game.

Can someone fill me in on the DH situation? I know he was booted, threw an elbow at Miller?, and didn't leave the floor in a timely fashion.

sixthman
03-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Don't know if David Harrison will ever rebound well consistently, but he will always be able to score some points.

Jamaal Tinsley was very disappointing last night. I expected better.

As lousy a first half performance as it was by the Pacers, especially defensively, the fourth quarter was fun. Props to the guys who stayed with it. Danny Granger makes a difference defensively when he guards small forwards. Make a few more free throws or hit 30 percent from the outside and we win the game.

It'll be interesting to see how we respond to Sacramento on Friday.

waxman
03-16-2006, 03:32 PM
David didn't get booted... he got a T for yelling at the ref after he took an elbow from Melo... and was called for the foul. Rick subbed for him and he just took his time getting off the floor, while stairing down the ref, like he wanted to dis-member him.