PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready to Leave for Indy - A Couple Quick Questions

sweabs
03-13-2006, 02:11 AM
d

SoupIsGood
03-13-2006, 03:12 AM
Hmm, I was at the Mariott just last week. There should be a skywalk that takes you through the Convention Center and to Circle Center Mall there. It begins on the second floor.

Hooters is within walking distance. :D

I'm hoping to maybe be at the Kings game, so maybe if enough people go to that one we could have a mini sort of get together?

MagicRat
03-13-2006, 10:01 AM
I was looking over the seating chart, but sometimes it doesn't give you the full scope for what the view is like. I will likely be sitting in Section 17, Row 3 for both games (Wed. VS Nuggets, Fri. VS Kings). I was wondering if that means I will be 3 rows behind the Kings bench?

The section behind the visitor's bench is Section 6. You'll be facing the Pacers' bench.

sixthman
03-13-2006, 10:30 AM
These three eating choices are very close to where you will be staying.

In the 300 block of N. Illinois Street, a couple of blocks east of the Canal is Acapulco's Joe's, which I would recommend if you like Mexican food. Locally owned downtown tradition...Not fancy or pricy...fair value.

Le Peep at 301 N. Illinois has a good breakfast menu.

Inside the AUL building, south of you, also near your hotel, is Jonathan Byrd's cafeteria. Not a traditional dining experience for sure but conveniently priced and I think a good value for lunch.

The Circle Center Mall is in the heart of downtown, south of you maybe five or six blocks, to the west of Conseco a block or two. Lots of food choices in that area including a food court on the third floor of the mall.

FrenchConnection
03-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Get a cab in front of the hotel, take it a few blocks and go to Shapiro's for a corned beef sandwitch. I drive all the way from Bloomington once a month to get one they are so good!

Knucklehead Warrior
03-13-2006, 11:28 AM
The Circle Center Mall is in the heart of downtown, south of you maybe five or six blocks, to the west of Conseco a block or two. Lots of food choices in that area including a food court on the third floor of the mall.
This is probably a good bet for you. Many different places to eat, reasonably priced, all in one spot.

The Shapiro's suggestion is also a very good one, although I would recommend a Reuben or a Hot Pastrami, potato salad, stuffed pepper, etc. Don't forget dessert. They make their own rye bread. This is easily 10-12 bucks per person and worth it, including the cab ride. One block south of Shapiro's is one of our favorite restaurants -- The Greek Islands. A small place with great Greek food.

If you want a steak you have several choices -- Shula's, Ruth's Chris, Morton's, or our famous century old local standby -- St. Elmo's on S. Illinois St, about 3 blocks from the fieldhouse (be sure to get a shrimp cocktail).

Hicks
03-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Shapiro's is definitely worth checking out.

denyfizle
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Get a cab in front of the hotel, take it a few blocks and go to Shapiro's for a corned beef sandwitch. I drive all the way from Bloomington once a month to get one they are so good!

mmm pastrami! yeap they are good. mccarthy street corner meridian!!! we're going to the Sacto game, so if ya'll want to meet up in Starbucks or something, let me know. PD people reprezent! =)

Skaut_Ech
03-13-2006, 11:58 AM
Well, I've lived downtown almost my entire adult life, so if you have any questions, just ask. Matter of fact, I've lived on the canal the past 5 years. I just moved last year. I more than familiar with downtown. Let me know your eating likes/dislikes, what you're looking for and I'll try my best to help.

I actually used to live in the apartments right next door to where you're staying. No, not those dumpy blue ones. The brick ones across the way. You'll see 'em when you get to your hotel.

First of all, the downtown mall is pretty good. In terms of restaurants, it's a great, close, convenient place to start. They got several places where you can park, strategically located. My recomendations?

Mallwise, there's a very good italian restaurant in the mall called Bertollinis (http://www.mortons.com/berto/info.html) that very good. Moderately priced and quality cooking. It's owned by Morton's Steakhouse, if that tells you anything.

I'm not against chain restaurants like some people. Some are pretty good. They have a PF Changs there that used to be owned by a buddy of mine.

Speaking of which, if you want to give a pricey meal a try with unique menu items, my buddy that owned Changs is now at this place (http://www.nuvo.net/archive/2005/11/30/west_of_malibu.html). It's right next to the mall.

Falling into the something for everybody category is Chaamps Americana (http://www.champps.com/menu), which is also in the mall.

Those places stand out for me as places to go. I don't have any complaints about the other places in the mall, I just think these are the best.

No offense to sixthman, but I lump Acapulco Joes in with Don Pablos and Chi-Chis, which is marginal. It's that ultra americanized, blandish, enhanced with microwave cooking that people who haven't had Mexican from anyplace south of Indianapolis may enjoy. (Sorry, guys. I know Joes is popular, but I've never quite understood why. And one of the old owners is an old friend/co-worker of mine.)

If you want some close, good mex, I'd go here. (http://cityguide.aol.com/indianapolis/dining/venue.adp?sbid=118041696)

One other reccomendation I'll give ya is The Red-Eye Cafe (http://www.redeyecafe.com/). Check out their menu. Open 24 hours and has this really homey, corner cafe feel to it. They've got a ton of board games life Trivial Pursuit, etc, lying around and they encourage you to play. Might be fun for the kids...and you.

That's just some ones off the top of my head. Any questions, fire away.

sixthman
03-13-2006, 12:18 PM
No offense to sixthman, but I lump Acapulco Joes in with Don Pablos and Chi-Chis, which is marginal. It's that ultra americanized, blandish, enhanced with microwave cooking that people who haven't had Mexican from anyplace south of Indianapolis may enjoy. (Sorry, guys. I know Joes is popular, but I've never quite understood why. And one of the old owners is an old friend/co-worker of mine.)

No offense at all. I would defer to your judgement in these matters any day, especially since you live downtown. Haven't eaten at AJ's in many blue moons and was just pointing out convenient, fairly inexpensive places to eat within a couple of blocks of where rcarey and his family are staying.

Frank Slade
03-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Ok to add my two cents to the already very good suggestions.

I never lived downtown but one of the offices I have worked at for the last 4 years is located inside the Hyatt Regency so I know my around.

First remember when getting around the skywalks are your friend's .
Not enough people seems to know that for whatever reason
here is a helpful guide
http://www.indydt.com/skywalkmap.html

Palomino's is pretty good (corner of Illinois and West)
Oceanaire is a bit pricey but worth it if you like Seafood.

Like Skaut Etch said Bertolinis is a good option..inside the Food Court.
Also along that line Bazbeaux's Pizza on Mass. Ave is very good as far as I am concerned,

If Sushi is your thing.. not mine but if it is
Mikado Japanese Restaurant & Sushi Bar (Georgia & Illinois ) near the Dome
is an option..

To Sample some good Adult Beverage's
Rock Bottom Brewery
Alcatraz Brewing Co

Rathskeller( German or Bavarian if you will food)
on Michigan St.. just north of the circle area but worth it

Off Meridian St are Some of the older Stand by's
The Old Spaghetti Factory

The Slippery Noodle Inn

ChicagoJ
03-13-2006, 12:51 PM
These three eating choices are very close to where you will be staying.

In the 300 block of N. Illinois Street, a couple of blocks east of the Canal is Acapulco's Joe's, which I would recommend if you like Mexican food. Locally owned downtown tradition...Not fancy or pricy...fair value.

Le Peep at 301 N. Illinois has a good breakfast menu.

Inside the AUL building, south of you, also near your hotel, is Jonathan Byrd's cafeteria. Not a traditional dining experience for sure but conveniently priced and I think a good value for lunch.

Interesting. I guess I haven't kept up on the old neighborhood.

As for Joe's, even though it was the popular after-work hangout, I never liked it. The margueritas were okay but I'd rather go to Rock Bottom or Alcatraz and get a beer.

sweabs
03-13-2006, 01:11 PM
f

DisplacedKnick
03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
By the way, what is the shopping like in the Circle Centre Mall? What kind of stores, how big, pricey, crowded, etc.? Thanks again.

http://www.simon.com/mall/default.aspx?ID=163

It's pricey to me but tastes vary.

Downtown Indy's pretty nice - well lit, pretty safe, lots to do within walking distance. Probably not up to Toronto which I used to really enjoy, but pretty good.

grace
03-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks! Actually...wait - now you know where I'm sitting. :uhoh:

He knows where everyone sits. Last year he found Kegboy and me during the playoffs when our seats weren't anywhere near where they usually are. Just take it as a fact of life and don't do anything that you wouldn't want to show up on the internet. ;)

Doug
03-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Rathskeller( German or Bavarian if you will food)
on Michigan St.. just north of the circle area but worth it[/B]

And really, really good beer.

Anthem
03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
He knows where everyone sits. Last year he found Kegboy and me during the playoffs when our seats weren't anywhere near where they usually are. Just take it as a fact of life and don't do anything that you wouldn't want to show up on the internet. ;)
I've been to two games at Conseco, and he's missed me both times. :D

Skaut_Ech
03-13-2006, 03:24 PM
And really, really good beer.

Liar!!

It's REALLY, REALLY Good beer.

sweabs
03-14-2006, 02:07 AM
f

Bball
03-14-2006, 02:50 AM

Yes... he even got me in one once... Tho he didn't know it... :devil:

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
03-14-2006, 08:03 AM

-Bball

He did the same with me at the last Knick game.

Not that anyone could recognize me from the picture.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Liar!!

Best beer in the state. The beer list is 4 pages long and about half of it is German. There are several that will give you a good buzz after ONE bottle, if you have enough hair on your chest to drink all of it. :buddies:

Saurbraten, red cabbage, potato salad and wash it down with a Korbinian.
They serve everyone a hot pretzel, but watch the mustard, it'll blow your head off.
401 E. Michigan St.

MagicRat
03-14-2006, 10:28 AM

-Bball

Just make sure not to sit near Kstat again and you'll probably be fine......:spy:

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/kstat.gif

Skaut_Ech
03-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Best beer in the state. The beer list is 4 pages long and about half of it is German. There are several that will give you a good buzz after ONE bottle, if you have enough hair on your chest to drink all of it. :buddies:

401 E. Michigan St.

They've got a Razz wheat there in the summertime that is my absolute, alltime, favorite beer. You know how much I love the Rathskeller? I got married there!! Yup. Rented out the big room and did it up. Had the reception there, too. Stayed until they kicked us out.

ChicagoJ
03-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Is that the Razz Wheat from Oaken Barrell?

Yum, yum.

able
03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Liar!!

sounds like a place someone should take me then :D

Knucklehead Warrior
03-16-2006, 01:01 PM
sounds like a place someone should take me then :D

I've never been there in the summer. Don't they have a Biergarten outside?

J. Slaughter take note: Summer PD party at the Rathskeller?

Doug
03-16-2006, 01:31 PM
I've never been there in the summer. Don't they have a Biergarten outside?

J. Slaughter take note: Summer PD party at the Rathskeller?

Yes, they do.

If we have a PD party at the Rathskeller, I'm going to have to take a taxi home...

Knucklehead Warrior
03-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Yes, they do.

If we have a PD party at the Rathskeller, I'm going to have to take a taxi home... :buddies:

Yep. My wife is always the designated driver whenever we go. I get a couple of those heavy dark pint beers in me and I get a little too clever to drive. :D