PDA

View Full Version : Should Jermaine, Amare and Hughes sit out the year? Mark Stein: "Yes".

SwissExpress
03-12-2006, 08:38 AM
FYI

That's an excerpt from a bigger article that's mostly about the Suns. Ideas in it are hardly based on any new arguments, at least not about JO. Still, it might be interesting to know what ESPN gurus think of the Pacers and JO situation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060311-12

As much as I love watching him play -- and as much as it would do for the forthcoming playoffs if the league's most remarkable blend of athleticism and power can return this month as he hopes -- I believe more than ever that Amare should sit out the year.
It's the best thing for him and these Suns.
<...>
This isn't Indiana or Cleveland, where the Pacers and Cavaliers are second-tier teams without Jermaine O'Neal (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3120) and Larry Hughes (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3251). The Suns are rolling without Stoudemire. Maybe they can't win the championship without him, but so what? His return doesn't automatically get them any closer to San Antonio or Detroit, so why even mess with it?
(Just for the record: O'Neal's groin and Hughes' finger injuries, while not as scary as Stoudemire's, make me just as reluctant to bring them back for the playoffs. I guess I'm just a Long-Term Outlook kind of guy.)

Kaufman
03-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Mark Stein simply doesn't know about sports injuries. More than likely he should keep his trap shut and write about things he knows about, which might in fact amount to very little.

Roaming Gnome
03-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Mark Stein simply doesn't know about sports injuries. More than likely he should keep his trap shut and write about things he knows about, which might in fact amount to very little.

:nod:
Funny thing, I was thinking the same thing when I seen the title of the post, before I even read the article!

D-BONE
03-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Stein may not have a clue about the injuries and I think he's right to point out how Indy and Cleveland could use their injured guys back to potentially better compete in the playoffs. However, I'm not sure I don't disagree with drawing a parallel between what he says about Amare's return not putting Phoenix all that much closer to dethroning SA or Detroit. JO's return maybe buys us one extra round tops, but I can't forsee it making us serious EC championship contenders. Especially without a return early enough to give some time to gel as a unit. I suppose this isn't a big revelation though.

Moses
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Stein may not have a clue about the injuries and I think he's right to point out how Indy and Cleveland could use their injured guys back to potentially better compete in the playoffs. However, I'm not sure I don't disagree with drawing a parallel between what he says about Amare's return not putting Phoenix all that much closer to dethroning SA or Detroit. JO's return maybe buys us one extra round tops, but I can't forsee it making us serious EC championship contenders. Especially without a return early enough to give some time to gel as a unit. I suppose this isn't a big revelation though.
Thats why we play the games and not theorycraft it on paper. Alot of things can happen between now and the playoffs.

Kaufman
03-12-2006, 11:15 AM
I'm not sure either that it takes a Marc Stein epiphony to make me realize that which you just said.

Pacerized
03-12-2006, 11:46 AM
They each have all summer to recover after the playoffs. Playing in them, or not won't effect how they'll be ready for next season. There is no way that any team is better off without it's best player.

3Ball
03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
I agree that neither Jermaine nor Amare should rush back. I also agree that ultimately it doesn't make much difference in terms of making the finals whether JO comes back. But if they are really healthy, I think both should come back, and here's why:

Jermaine. If he doesn't come back, we won't have ANY idea whether it's worth keeping this core together going into the offseason. Is Peja worth a big career finishing contract? Will he and JO be a deadly inside/outside combination? Or should we trade away whoever we can and focus on rebuidling. Of course we won't any better idea if we're out in four games. But if we claw our way to another game 6 with Detroit, that might mean something.

As for the Suns, I think they have a very legitimate chance of getting to the finals this year. The only teams that seem to be standing in their way are Dallas and San Antonio. Those are big roadblocks, but they both have issues in the big man department, and Amare is one of the best around. Dallas' frontcourt is workable for the first time in years, but they have no one to match Amare. San Antonio is better, but with Duncan having a very off year and Ginobili on and off the injured list, and their older vets not really producing as well as hoped, they could be vulnerable. This is not to say that they would be favored in either of those matchups, even with Amare in and at full strength, but teams have to remember that even the best have a finite number of years in which they can contend. One key injury or setback can take a full year off the table. And any core group of guys usually only has a few years to make it. Take your chance while you can. We should know.

Kaufman
03-12-2006, 06:07 PM
I'm not sure that the remaining 20-30 games is enough basis to make long term decisions, if JO was to hypothetically return today.