PDA

View Full Version : Observations from a blind man

Jetman
03-11-2006, 05:50 AM
never get to see a game hardly, Indiana boy living out of the country, but my main source of Pacer info is this board, has been for many years. enjoy the player by player analysis that sometimes get to see here after the game.

just a question to people that get to see the games:

I have read the Saras debate for a long time. I was really hoping, like others, that he would be a hit and show us the "light" of how to play USA destroying EuroBall. But I keep checking out his many 1-6 and 2-7 shooting nights in the box score, and that seems like his norm now. What exactly is he bringing to the pacers? I mean if the team is desperate for poor shooting, I'm available. Again, I wouldn't ask this if I could see the games.

D-BONE
03-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Jetman,

My take is that he is not bringing much to the team right now on a consistent basis. It's not totally clear if this has more to do with his lack of PT or his play. I'd say the bottom line is, whether due to his own performance, personnel logjam at his position, or RCs assessment and approach, he has not had a successful transtition to the NBA game with the Pacers. My personal reactions to him so far this season are as follows:

-Not as consistent a shooter as I was led to believe
-Excellent passer
-Shaky individual defender
-Very emotional (this can be a pro and a con)
-Has never looked that comfortable on the floor or with the team in general IMO

Our European friends have pointed out that many of the qualities we've identified were already known quantities about Saras before his arrival to the Pacers. In summary, so far this experiment does not appear to be working out for the Pacers (or for Saras for that matter). It's probably too early to make a definitive judgment, but at some point he would have to see more floor time to make an impact and I can't see that happening, if at all, until next year or beyond for the Pacers.

Moses
03-11-2006, 10:00 AM
He's inconsistent. When he gets alot of PT and a majority of the minutes, He's great...He looks like a damn good Rookie PG...But when he plays as a backup role or plays SG, he doesn't really bring much of anything to the table.

piksi
03-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Euroball and NBA - 2 different games. I Europe You play 50 games in a year. He needs time to adjust. You can start judging next season.

Knucklehead Warrior
03-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Euroball and NBA - 2 different games. I Europe You play 50 games in a year. He needs time to adjust. You can start judging next season. Yeah, ditto. I think he's hitting his rookie slump and he's feeling the frustration. It doesn't help that with the injuries he doesn't quite know where he fits in, i.e. his role keeps changing. I think he and the coaching staff are still trying to figure this out and that contributes to any inconsistency he has. He continues to amaze me as a BACKUP pg. If we keep that in mind, it makes his progress, or lack thereof, easier to swallow.

Pacesetter
03-12-2006, 01:54 PM
jet, he's a rookie.