PDA

View Full Version : With Fred out...

jcouts
03-10-2006, 01:53 PM
With Fred out indefinitely with a torn ligament in his thumb, talk is shifting to Saras backing up SJAX at SG, with Tinsley coming off the bench to back up AJ at point.

I however, am skeptical that this is going to be an effective setup. Saras is going to get torched on defense by the other team's SG, and physically manhandled. Yes, he's a shooter, but he's also a creator. If he plays SG, we're basically going to have a duplicate attack of him and Peja doing much of the same things. I believe that Saras should start at PG, Tinsley should back him up, and AJ should split time with SJAX at SG.

Ragnar
03-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Its time for Tinsley to start. He was clearly the best pg in the last two games. A lot of the Tinsley bashers said that Tinsley needed to come back and prove that he is the best pg in order to start. Well he has. Make AJ the backup sg and Sarunas the backup pg.

AJ is going to be able to handle the sg's a lot better than Sarunas is and AJ has been a shoot first player for the last several weeks anyway.

Anthem
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
If Fred's out for a while, I think we need to consider picking up a third-string swingman from the NBDL. We just don't have enough players to put on the floor.

CableKC
03-10-2006, 03:20 PM
Regardless of what position that Sarunas plays....he will get torched defensively.

I'm not a fan of Sarunas playing SG minutes cuz I don't think he works very well off the ball. Even if he does play the backup SG minutes and camps out by the 3pt line and is open.....no one gets him the ball anyway. He is reduced to nothing more then a guy that stands around waiting for a ball that will likely not come his way....which I don't think is an effective way of using all of your players best skills.

Kegboy
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I've said since August that it's easier to hide a poor defender off the ball then up top. As long as he can put his ego aside, there's no reason why Cabbage can't give us quality minutes at the 2. He just needs to get it in his head that he can create off the wing as well as the key.

jcouts
03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
good...so basically we're all in agreement that AJ is a better SG backup option than Saras

I wonder why Carlisle is having such a tough time figuring that out.

Slick Pinkham
03-10-2006, 03:51 PM
I think that if Saunas and AJ are on the court at the same time, AJ will always be guarding the SG, and he's strong enough and wiley enough to do OK.

The Saras-Tinsley pairing is more of a concern.

MagicRat
03-10-2006, 03:58 PM
I don't know. The unit with Jamaal, Sarunas and Peja played beautiful basketball in the first half against Houston. The moved the ball and Sarunas was able to get some open shots and also able to get it into David for an easy hoop or two.

As long as AJ continues to start, I like the thought of Jamaal, Sarunas, Danny, Peja and David running roughshod over opposing second units. Actually, I like the thought of that unit running roughshod over our starters (I'll let Eddie play the 3 with the starters).....

CableKC
03-10-2006, 04:18 PM
I think that if Saunas and AJ are on the court at the same time, AJ will always be guarding the SG, and he's strong enough and wiley enough to do OK.

The Saras-Tinsley pairing is more of a concern.
Actually...its not as much who guards who on the defensive end when Sarunas is paired up with either AJ or Tinsley...its a matter of who is running the show.

Earlier in the year.....Tinsley was always the PG ( first ), AJ ( second ) and Sarunas ( last ). This means that the only way that Sarunas would be the PG is when he isn't on the floor with either Tinsley or AJ.

CableKC
03-10-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't know. The unit with Jamaal, Sarunas and Peja played beautiful basketball in the first half against Houston. The moved the ball and Sarunas was able to get some open shots and also able to get it into David for an easy hoop or two.

As long as AJ continues to start, I like the thought of Jamaal, Sarunas, Danny, Peja and David running roughshod over opposing second units. Actually, I like the thought of that unit running roughshod over our starters (I'll let Eddie play the 3 with the starters).....
If this is the case...then I wouldn't mind having Sarunas play the backup SG role. The only thing I hate is when Sarunas is standing on either wing position...is wide open...and no one picks that up and passes him the ball.

If he isn't hitting shots...then I am fine with that...don't pass the ball...but if he is hitting his shots but no one is getting him the ball...then I don't like that at all.

DeS
03-10-2006, 05:49 PM
As long as I am Saras fan, I like jcouts scenario. But this not gonna happen. More realistic is of course Ragnar scenario, which I also like. But this also not gonna happen. Rick do not want to ruin the chemistry (and probably he should not) by replacing AJ as a starter. So, he is taking another shot to Saras at SG approach. I just wonder if Rick has some plan to prevent "Saras sucking at SG" problem. He must have.

Anthem
03-10-2006, 06:04 PM
I just wonder if Rick has some plan to prevent "Saras sucking at SG" problem. He must have.
Pairing him with Tinsley's not a bad idea. Everybody looks better when they're on the floor with Tinsley.

Kegboy
03-10-2006, 06:27 PM
I'll let Eddie play the 3 with the starters

I'm sure Rick will too.

SoupIsGood
03-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Snap!

denyfizle
03-10-2006, 08:53 PM
With Fred out indefinitely with a torn ligament in his thumb, talk is shifting to Saras backing up SJAX at SG, with Tinsley coming off the bench to back up AJ at point.

I however, am skeptical that this is going to be an effective setup. Saras is going to get torched on defense by the other team's SG, and physically manhandled. Yes, he's a shooter, but he's also a creator. If he plays SG, we're basically going to have a duplicate attack of him and Peja doing much of the same things. I believe that Saras should start at PG, Tinsley should back him up, and AJ should split time with SJAX at SG.

i agree to the highest degree!!!

Mordecaii
03-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Fred's torn ligament isn't as bad as they thought and they said he'll be able to play soon with a splint on his hand.