PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Hulk

bmac
03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
On more of a positive note, I was really impressed with David last night in numerous areas..... He was extremely active moving his feet, had some great offensive moves to the basket and was boxing out like a fiend. Perhaps he is taking some cues from Jeff Foster in terms of getting postion underneath, but I love how much he has developed in the last 15 games.

We can actually run plays through Hulk and get some high percentage shots out of this play calling. He is also toning down his hysterics after getting BS foul calls, his head is staying in the game instead of pouting so much. It's certainly nice to see him come around....

CableKC
03-09-2006, 02:03 PM
I haven't watched the games....but is he still fouling players when they do a pump-fake on him?

Also....note to Hulk......spend more time with Foster and pick up his good habits ( like good positioning ) and less time with SJax ( especially for his love of gabbing with the Refs ).

If Harrison can learn to stay out of foul trouble...and remains in good shape....he can be a very good backup ( and when needed ) starting Center. Because of his sheer size ( most notably his width )....he does something that Centers like Yao can't do....physically take up space in the Paint and not be pushed around like a pinball.

He definitely has potential if he continue studying with Foster and Pollard.

MagicRat
03-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Also....note to Hulk......spend more time with Foster and pick up his good habits ( like good positioning )

Note to Foster: Spend some time with Hulk and learn how to finish......

Since86
03-09-2006, 05:01 PM
If Harrison can learn to stay out of foul trouble...and remains in good shape....he can be a very good backup ( and when needed ) starting Center. Because of his sheer size ( most notably his width )....he does something that Centers like Yao can't do....physically take up space in the Paint and not be pushed around like a pinball.

You really need to catch the games.

He's going to be an All-star center within a few years. I'm not saying that he's going to be a dominant player, but he'll be a 14 and 8 guy here in the very near future.

His post play is superb, and I was screaming at the TV last night to dump it into him during the last 3 mins of the game. The use of his body against Yao was amazing. He would literally stick his shoulder into Yao's chest and protect the ball. There was nothing Yao could do to stop those shots/layups, nothing.

He's boxing people out, and he's starting to pick up 2 or 3 fouls because of sheer frustration coming out of those he pins. Swift literally grabbed his shoulder and pulled him to the ground because he couldn't get around him. Even though he isn't phsyically getting the stat for the rebound, he's the MAIN reason some boards are picked up. It's so much easier to rebound as a guard when you're going against another guard, instead of seeing/hearing a 7fter coming over.

SoupIsGood
03-09-2006, 05:14 PM
OMG!!! David's "breakout" and I've missed many of the games. :shakehead I didn't watch last night either.

Eindar
03-09-2006, 05:16 PM
You really need to catch the games.

He's going to be an All-star center within a few years. I'm not saying that he's going to be a dominant player, but he'll be a 14 and 8 guy here in the very near future.

His post play is superb, and I was screaming at the TV last night to dump it into him during the last 3 mins of the game. The use of his body against Yao was amazing. He would literally stick his shoulder into Yao's chest and protect the ball. There was nothing Yao could do to stop those shots/layups, nothing.

He's boxing people out, and he's starting to pick up 2 or 3 fouls because of sheer frustration coming out of those he pins. Swift literally grabbed his shoulder and pulled him to the ground because he couldn't get around him. Even though he isn't phsyically getting the stat for the rebound, he's the MAIN reason some boards are picked up. It's so much easier to rebound as a guard when you're going against another guard, instead of seeing/hearing a 7fter coming over.

It's highly likely that this is the reason Peja's rebounding numbers have gone up dramatically. With a C and PF who box out every time, it's essentially 6'10" Peja vs. the usually 6'6"-6'8" SF matched up against him.

317Kim
03-09-2006, 06:34 PM
HULK has been smashing. A lot! He has been great after coming back from that suspension!

Pacesetter
03-09-2006, 10:57 PM
He's gotten much better at "squeezing the orange!" :flex:

The coolest thing about Danny and Dave is they are so coachable.

Big Dave is already doing some things better than Rik did after 5 years. What I also like about Dave is, even though he's got the humility of a child, he's big & strong, and even the biggest and strongest realize you can only move the big fella so much before he start movin back!

kudos also for a few good FT's. (the Chuck Person effect)

bmac
03-09-2006, 11:08 PM
If Hulk continues to mature he could log some decent minutes in the playoffs and allow JO to slide over to the 4 spot. Looks like we may finally have a true big man for the first time since Brad left. (I'm knocking on wood as I type this)

Anthem
03-10-2006, 12:56 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I've got to say it's absolutely true that David draws a lot of fouls when he rebounds.

I never bought into Peck's "athletic rebounder vs. positional rebounder" bit, because if I see a guy that gets 16 rebounds, he's a good rebounder no matter what. But it seems Jeff doesn't get fouled that much while getting rebounds. David gets fouled all the time.

Outlaw
03-10-2006, 01:29 PM
If Harrison continues progressing at the pace he is now. He will be our starting Center next season.:yes: :happy: :grinyes:

Which will allow Jeff to come of the bench which I think would be his best role.IMO :nod:

Moses
03-10-2006, 01:32 PM
The most noticeable thing about his recent offensive explosion is his shooting percentage and the small amount of time he is in games.

Hes only getting into some of these games 20-25 minutes at most and still manages to get 15-16 points on very very high percentage shooting. Teams are starting to automatically foul him once he gets in that position under the goal..Everyone knows what I'm talking about. The Hulk Smash..Nobody I've seen yet has stopped him when he's gone up right under the goal because I don't think it's possible to stop him without fouling him badly. Many people look at his rebounds and wonder why he doesn't grab more in the time he's in the game but alot of the time he's boxing people out both intentionally or unintentionally. If he manages to stay out of foul trouble and puts up a string of games where he can stay in there 30 mins or so, I think we are looking at the future of Hulk. Another thing that people fail to mention is that the is playing hurt. He hasn't been healthy for a few months now but he plays through it and is still productive.

Since86
03-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Another thing that people fail to mention is that the is playing hurt. He hasn't been healthy for a few months now but he plays through it and is still productive.

Great point.

He usually is cupping his right wrist, either while running down the floor or at the FT line. He doesn't put a big act into it, drawing attention to say "Hey look at me, I'm playing hurt" but you can tell it does bother him.

I've been wondering if part of his FT problem is due to that. They said he shot in the 60%s for his career at Colorado, which isn't spectacular by anymeans but way better than the 40%s he's averaging this year.

Other than his feet pointing to the side, which irks the hell out of me, his form is pretty decent. He has great mechanics going into the shot, with no hitches, has pretty good ball rotation, and the arch on the ball is decent. The foundation is there, he just needs to get confidence.

Get him shooting high 60's to mid 70's and that would be a killer for other teams.

SoupIsGood
03-10-2006, 02:22 PM
Teams are starting to automatically foul him once he gets in that position under the goal..Everyone knows what I'm talking about. The Hulk Smash..Nobody I've seen yet has stopped him when he's gone up right under the goal because I don't think it's possible to stop him without fouling him badly.

:sunshine:

SoupIsGood
03-10-2006, 02:39 PM
David, since returning from that suspension -

22.3 minutes per game

74.2 Field Goal %

60% Free Throw %

1.5 Blocks Per Game

4.1 Fouls Per Game

5.5 Rebounds Per Game

12.1 Points Per Game

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/d212639a-ce9e-43e9-be0a-f422e37bc422.jpg

(Hulk Smash)

BlueNGold
03-11-2006, 09:05 PM
HULK will be starting at latest by next year. I actually think he should be starting now. We have an intelligent, physical, athletic, skilled C who loves to play the game. He is already significantly better than earlier this year. We are fortunate to have Pollard and Foster to teach him the ropes.

HULK is not the second coming of Shaq, but he will be as productive as Brad Miller. It is hard to say whether he can be better overall than Brad at this point. He certainly has the tools to be better than Brad....but it all depends on how well he can use them.