PDA

View Full Version : Can we talk about Tinsley?

Anthem
03-09-2006, 12:09 AM
I'm sure AJ's not going to log on to any internet message boards tonight, because he knows he'll be the goat. But I'm not sure he should be. Forget the play call, putting AJ in at the end might have been a coaching error.

Anyway, I really just wanted to ask about Tinsley. How's he look?

Lord Helmet
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
Tinsley looks like the starting PG for the Indiana Pacers.

He had about two beautiful passes to Peja. It's just too bad his play will be overshined by another Pacers late-game meltdown.

Bball
03-09-2006, 12:12 AM
At least Tinsley looks to run the offense when the game clock is winding down.

-Bball

Shade
03-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Tins is our best PG.

With that said, why the hell was he not on the floor late in the game when AJ was hoisting bricks and throwing the ball away?

It's like with a healthy Tins, AJ automatically has to turn back into a pumpkin or something.

18to88
03-09-2006, 12:22 AM
Ok you guys need to make up your mind. Do you like Tinsley or not. I used to be one of like 5 people who liked him and everyone was all on Sarunas' nuts. Now everyone likes Tinsley. Don't tell me you've been saying all along you like Tinsley because for a while there every thread was about how we should get Tinsley out of here with Sarunas and AJ.

Unclebuck
03-09-2006, 12:23 AM
After one game everyone is jumping off the AJ bandwagon.

Good night

Shade
03-09-2006, 12:24 AM
I've pretty much always liked Tinsley. But he does us no good if he's injured all the time. There's no doubting he's the most talented PG on this team, but quite a large margin actually.

Jermaniac
03-09-2006, 12:24 AM
START TINSLEY AND PLAY GOBLIN OFF THE BENCH, If he ever see's crunch time minutes again I will puke.

Moses
03-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Well AJ has been somewhat clutch in the past..But I'm going to be thoroughly dissapointed if he turns back into Anthony, The Goblin Brick Hoister now that Tinsley is back.

pizza guy
I've been in favor of moving Tinsley for a long time. AJ's play BEFORE Tins came back was good enough, IMO, to not even want Tins to come back. Watching them play tonight, it was clear that Tins is the best PG we have. Of course, I'm not a Tinsley "lover" yet, I still don't like his attitude (unless he's changed) that he can have and I don't feel comfortable with him "leading the Pacers to a championship" as I don't think he is mentally capable. But it was obvious against the Rockets that JT needed to be on the court and RC left AJ in.

Lord Helmet

Good night
I'm not off it....

While I would have liked Tinsley in, I'm not sure he wouldn't just jack up and clank a shot, or try to penetrate and lay it up and get blocked.

Anthem
03-09-2006, 12:29 AM
I was never on it.

ChicagoJ
03-09-2006, 12:32 AM
Other than David Harrison, Tinsley is the closest thing to "Pacers player that Jay actually likes."

Too bad he only plays in fifteen games per year so I don't get a chance to act like a Tinsley fan very often.

DeS
03-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Rick will say kind of "I wanted our starters to end game". It's interessting thing, that Rick limits Tins on-court time. Also it's interessting that he almost equaly devides playing time (and I say I like that).

Suaveness
03-09-2006, 12:47 AM
Other than David Harrison, Tinsley is the closest thing to "Pacers player that Jay actually likes."

Too bad he only plays in fifteen games per year so I don't get a chance to act like a Tinsley fan very often.

And Granger?

scar
03-09-2006, 12:49 AM
I like Tinsley. He's fat, injury prone, wines alot. Reminds me of me.

MagicRat
03-09-2006, 12:58 AM
I don't know if they had him slotted for 15 minutes as part of the plan to ease him back in, but they sure could've used 5 more.

He and Sarunas played some nice ball together in the second quarter. Got out and ran, moved the ball beautifully and found guys for easy buckets.

It was disappointing in the second half to see Jamaal take off, get past half court, then have to turn his head and slow up to hear a play call from the bench.....:shakehead

ChicagoJ
03-09-2006, 01:01 AM
And Granger?

I still like a healthy Tinsley better than Granger. But he's closing the gap fast.

Since86
03-09-2006, 01:12 AM
START TINSLEY AND PLAY GOBLIN OFF THE BENCH, If he ever see's crunch time minutes again I will puke.

AJ what can I say about AJ, I'm just more and more comfortable when AJ is out there running the team, it just makes me feel safe when he is in there. And the way he is creating his own shot now just makes him even better. When Tinsley comes back I want him coming off the bench and if he plays GREAT he can have his starting job back, if he is just playing okay then AJ should continue to start.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=354183

8.9_seconds
03-09-2006, 01:37 AM

Good night

I'm glad you addressed it, because it's really pissing me off.

PostArtestEra
03-09-2006, 02:23 AM
I've been saying Tinsley is our starting point guard for a minute and everyone here disagreed, riding AJ's jock. And after one game, ONE GAME the tide has turned you guys are fickle as hell. I cant believe this shi t.

diamonddave00
03-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Actually to me it appears AJ is trying to prove he should be the starting point guard- since Jamaal has returned Johnson has seemed to want to prove he's a scorer. The result the last 2 games AJ is 9 of 28 from the field, he seems to be forcing his shots more.

Los Angeles
03-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Actually to me it appears AJ is trying to prove he should be the starting point guard- since Jamaal has returned Johnson has seemed to want to prove he's a scorer. The result the last 2 games AJ is 9 of 28 from the field, he seems to be forcing his shots more.
BINGO!!!

It's fear. Desperation. Lack of confidence. Lack of poise. Lack of heart. I want any starter to have all of those qualities. AJ had them, but lost them. I'll give him 1 (maybe 2) more games to get them back.

rexnom
03-09-2006, 04:13 AM
BINGO!!!

It's fear. Desperation. Lack of confidence. Lack of poise. Lack of heart. I want any starter to have all of those qualities. AJ had them, but lost them. I'll give him 1 (maybe 2) more games to get them back.

Yeah, let's not form opinions quite yet. AJ is still the starter. He has earned that much with some huge games in February. I have always been a Tinsley fan. Always. But, when AJ started playing well he proved that Tinsley shouldn't automatically get the starting job back. There should be a fight for it. Ultimately, like I've been saying for months, I think Tins deserves it in end and I think he will earn it back (much like he did in 03-04). HOWEVER, if he doesn't play well enough, of course AJ should stay as the starter.

18to88
03-09-2006, 04:36 AM
I've been saying Tinsley is our starting point guard for a minute and everyone here disagreed, riding AJ's jock. And after one game, ONE GAME the tide has turned you guys are fickle as hell. I cant believe this shi t.

I know exactly what you mean.

Jumper
03-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Ok here is my thoughts, I want a starting PG who

A) Takes care of the ball

B) Initiates the offense early in the shotclock

C) Thinks pass first

D) Isn't a defensive liability (not looking for a defensive ace, just need someone to be serviceable)

E) Gives us the best chance of winning

It doesn't matter which point guard that is to me. I do not know any of them personally so whoever fits these criteria best is my starter.

Ragnar
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM

Good night

Its funny how when the people see Tinsley play they remember he is the best pg on the team.

PacerMan
03-09-2006, 10:45 AM

LOL, you'll get used to it. It's SOP!
It's fair to be frustrated when a player keeps getting injured. But the senseless mugging of Tinsley for his supposed "attitude" is ridiculous.
He's got more pg skills than AJ and Saras put together. The ONLY hope this team has of being respectable is with a healthy Jamaal at PG.

ChicagoJ
03-09-2006, 04:18 PM
It's fair to be frustrated when a player keeps getting injured. But the senseless mugging of Tinsley for his supposed "attitude" is ridiculous.
He's got more pg skills than AJ and Saras put together. The ONLY hope this team has of being respectable is with a healthy Jamaal at PG.

Werd.

Mourning
03-09-2006, 04:38 PM

I never complained about Tinsley with regards to his attitude as far as I know. I also have acknowledged that he is the best PG we have on the team. Like you stated it's his injuries that get me frustrated concerning Tins. Not his complaining against the referees sometimes, I can see past that as long as it is kept atleast a little in check, but the injuries, man...

I think we will have to play him and let him shine then trade him and one or two others and get back, depending on who we trade with him, either a top PG who is more durable an upper tier center (that will be almost impossible, but we can dream, right? ;)) or a top SG.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

PostArtestEra
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19470
I think a LOT of people owe me an apology. Oh and "Anthem" about never being on the A.J. bandwagon, or at least the Tinsley hating bandwagon, might want to check the facts.

Mourning
03-09-2006, 04:58 PM
The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is - you DO NOT talk about Fight Club. Third rule of Fight Club, someone yells Stop!, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over. Fourth rule, only two guys to a fight. Fifth rule, one fight at a time, fellas. Sixth rule, no shirt, no shoes. Seventh rule, fights will go on as long as they have to. And the eighth and final rule, if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

Fightclub, one of those movies I was afraid would be just another action- without thinking "Arnold" movie, but it's not, I loved it anyway, good quote! ;)

Regards,

Eindar
03-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't care which 2 we ship out this summer, but we can't continue with this "4 PGs on the roster in case Jamaal trips over Mutombo's shoes and tears his ACL" BS. Nobody gets enough minutes to be happy. Either ship out AJ and Sarunas for someone better than Tinsley, so Tins can come off the bench for 20 MPG, or ship out Tinsley and Saras or AJ for a solid, reliable, healthy PG (Andre Miller).

SoupIsGood
03-09-2006, 05:24 PM
We have no starting PG. We have three backups. They are all really good backups. Not starters.

(I like Saras best as the backup. We need to find a starter in the offseason)

PostArtestEra
03-09-2006, 05:49 PM
So now we have to apologize for people having an opinion.

Funny, I thought thats what internet message boards were here for.

You don't need to apoligize, cuase unlike many you haven't changed your tune.

Anthem
03-09-2006, 06:40 PM

I think a LOT of people owe me an apology. Oh and "Anthem" about never being on the A.J. bandwagon, or at least the Tinsley hating bandwagon, might want to check the facts.
Sorry? How did I get into this conversation? My position's exactly the same as it's always been.

I'm not sure how I got on your bad side. You even went out of your way to thank me for a post in that thread.

8.9_seconds
03-09-2006, 06:52 PM

I have no idea what your reading, he actually praises Tinsley alot in that post. He never says that he's the greatest AJ fan in the world, but he gave him his due. I agree that people are being fickle, and it annoys me; but stop trying to start a fight and shut up. If you can't make a good point without facts, then don't try to make it.

CableKC
03-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I don't care which 2 we ship out this summer, but we can't continue with this "4 PGs on the roster in case Jamaal trips over Mutombo's shoes and tears his ACL" BS. Nobody gets enough minutes to be happy. Either ship out AJ and Sarunas for someone better than Tinsley, so Tins can come off the bench for 20 MPG, or ship out Tinsley and Saras or AJ for a solid, reliable, healthy PG (Andre Miller).
As long as Tinsley is on the roster ( either as a starter playing 48 minutes or 20 minutes ) or can somehow prove the he can go through 1 season without ( what Bird calls ) another Freak Accident ( but what many of us call "being Injury prone" )......we must have 2 solid PGs playing behind him.

This is because you know that whoever is the 2nd and 3rd PG behind Tinsley is gonna be the #1 and #2 PG when he goes down with some type of injury.

Keeping 2 solid PGs behind Tinsley is not a luxury....its a necessity given his history.

Trade him....or the Pacers have do to their very best to limit the chance of him getting injured by limiting the # of minutes he plays. The less minutes he plays......the less chance he will get injured.

I wouldn't mind limiting the # of minutes Tinsley plays though.....

Mr.ThunderMakeR
03-09-2006, 07:08 PM
People complain about Tinsley's attitude because of the way he acted at the beginning of this season. I think everyone is forgetting how he was back then. Tinsley last season: I was ok with, still too many injuries. Tinsley in the season before that (61 win season), was awesome. But its the way his on-court disposition has changed that makes me dislike him now. Oh yeah there is the injury issue too.

And I will NEVER jump off the AJ bandwagon. I dont think AJ is more talented than Tinsley, Tinsley deffinitely has the talent. But AJ is better at his role than Tinsley.

Bottom line: AJ is a better at being a backup pg (one of the best in the league if you ask me), than Tinsley is at being a starting Pg. So do you replace the excellent back up, or the mediocre starter who cant stay healthy. Basketball is about ROLES people, knowing your ROLES!

Edit: I havent seen Tinsley in the 2 games hes been back, so maybe hes changed. Im curious to see what he can do with the rest of the season, so go ahead and prove me wrong Tins. And for those crying about Rick limiting his minutes, thats pretty much standard procedure for players returning from injuries, you guys should be used to it by now.

PostArtestEra
03-09-2006, 07:38 PM
In the previous thread Anthem said that Tinsley should be the starting point guard for the Atlanta Hawks ( I'm assuming thats an insult) and now he's praising him, that seems contradictory to me. Sorry anthem not to call you out I have nothing against you in particular, just a lot of people can't seem to make up their minds.

BlueNGold
03-09-2006, 10:46 PM
I think Tins' time as a Pacer is quite limited. I think TPTB realize the departure of "the one we don't speak of", Bender's retirement, other injury prone players and chemistry problems require a complete overhaul over the summer. No one except Harrison and Granger is off limits IMO.

fooddaman
03-09-2006, 10:55 PM
I was never on it.

Ditto!

Anthem
03-09-2006, 11:38 PM
In the previous thread Anthem said that Tinsley should be the starting point guard for the Atlanta Hawks ( I'm assuming thats an insult) and now he's praising him, that seems contradictory to me. Sorry anthem not to call you out I have nothing against you in particular, just a lot of people can't seem to make up their minds.
:laugh:

Oh man, that's rich. Why don't you go back and read page 2 of that thread.

PostArtestEra
03-09-2006, 11:47 PM
:laugh:

Oh man, that's rich. Why don't you go back and read page 2 of that thread.

Werd! Now I'm just really confused!! You seem intelligent and I'm pretty sure I agree with your philosophy regarding our point guard situation. If you've always supported Tinsley, I just don't get what you meant by that Atlanta Hawks remark, and I'm quickly losing interest.

ChicagoJ
03-10-2006, 12:06 AM
I think its called a joke.

:shrug:

Anthem
03-10-2006, 01:10 AM
Werd! Now I'm just really confused!! You seem intelligent and I'm pretty sure I agree with your philosophy regarding our point guard situation. If you've always supported Tinsley, I just don't get what you meant by that Atlanta Hawks remark, and I'm quickly losing interest.
Oh, I've been consistent the whole time. Tinsley is, by far, our best point guard. And that's exactly the problem.

Last year, AJ had a 3-week stretch where he played unbelievable ball. Unfortunately, he then came back to earth and became the same old player. That's why I didn't get excited when he played great this season; I figured it would be just like last season. So far, there's nothing that makes me think I'm wrong. AJ's a decent backup, but he's not a starter. He's a backup. Tinsley, on the other hand, is a great point guard. I don't have a problem with his competitiveness, his attitude, or his conditioning. Even his defense has improved dramatically since Carlisle's been here, and his shooting has gotten better every year. He's not lazy; he's probably improved as much since coming to the Pacers as anybody.

The problem with Tinsley, though, is that the man keeps getting injured. I don't know if it's going to keep happening; like Bird said, several of his injuries were freak things. But I'm tired of not having a point guard. With a PG who's gone as much as Tinsley, we need a backup who's better than AJ (for a while I thought that would be Saras). And with a backup better than AJ, either the starter or the backup has to be a combo guard, because you don't want somebody that good getting 12 mpg. So before the trade deadline, I was a proponent of trading both Tinsley and AJ, and keeping Saras as the backup (he's not played great yet, but I still think he might be able to make the adjustment to the NBA). I'd trade Tinsley because he can't stay healthy, and I'd trade AJ to make a decent backcourt rotation.

Tinsley can't be traded to hardly any team in the NBA. His CBA status was a killer; he had to go to a team under the cap. There's not many of those, and only one needed a PG: Atlanta. There was a consistent rumor out of Denver that the Nugz wanted to trade Andre Miller for a "2." So my thought was this: We trade Jax and AJ to Denver for A.Miller and a throw-in, and we trade Tinsley to Atlanta for one of their young swingmen like Childress. It all worked, cap-wise. Miller is a pretty good combo guard, so he could start at the 1 and back up the 2 as needed.

It didn't go through, and this summer Tinsley will be much easier to trade. And we should probably trade him. Not because he's not the best PG on the team, but because he can't stay on the court.

Diesel_81
03-10-2006, 02:06 AM
Oh, I've been consistent the whole time. Tinsley is, by far, our best point guard. And that's exactly the problem.

Last year, AJ had a 3-week stretch where he played unbelievable ball. Unfortunately, he then came back to earth and became the same old player. That's why I didn't get excited when he played great this season; I figured it would be just like last season. So far, there's nothing that makes me think I'm wrong. AJ's a decent backup, but he's not a starter. He's a backup. Tinsley, on the other hand, is a great point guard. I don't have a problem with his competitiveness, his attitude, or his conditioning. Even his defense has improved dramatically since Carlisle's been here, and his shooting has gotten better every year. He's not lazy; he's probably improved as much since coming to the Pacers as anybody.

The problem with Tinsley, though, is that the man keeps getting injured. I don't know if it's going to keep happening; like Bird said, several of his injuries were freak things. But I'm tired of not having a point guard. With a PG who's gone as much as Tinsley, we need a backup who's better than AJ (for a while I thought that would be Saras). And with a backup better than AJ, either the starter or the backup has to be a combo guard, because you don't want somebody that good getting 12 mpg. So before the trade deadline, I was a proponent of trading both Tinsley and AJ, and keeping Saras as the backup (he's not played great yet, but I still think he might be able to make the adjustment to the NBA). I'd trade Tinsley because he can't stay healthy, and I'd trade AJ to make a decent backcourt rotation.

Tinsley can't be traded to hardly any team in the NBA. His CBA status was a killer; he had to go to a team under the cap. There's not many of those, and only one needed a PG: Atlanta. There was a consistent rumor out of Denver that the Nugz wanted to trade Andre Miller for a "2." So my thought was this: We trade Jax and AJ to Denver for A.Miller and a throw-in, and we trade Tinsley to Atlanta for one of their young swingmen like Childress. It all worked, cap-wise. Miller is a pretty good combo guard, so he could start at the 1 and back up the 2 as needed.

It didn't go through, and this summer Tinsley will be much easier to trade. And we should probably trade him. Not because he's not the best PG on the team, but because he can't stay on the court.

I pretty much agree with you point by point. As far as Tinsley goes he is what he is. He's a guy that will at times look like the best pg in the NBA, with his passing ability, the way he can get to the basket and create for himself and for others and then we have the other Tinsley that we see way to much and thats the one who is constantly injured and is on the bench. Can anyone even the biggest Tinsley supporters say they can count on this man to lead us in the playoffs and to stay healthy? Based on his history I would say no.

D-BONE
03-10-2006, 07:53 AM
I think a way to express what some are saying in support of JT is that he is the best "potential" PG on the team. Usually it remains potential only b/c he's so damn fragile and there's no reason to believe this will ever change. Early on in his career I really liked Tins and was behind him even when he struggled and some people were down on him. It's not that I dislike him now. However I do think from an objective standpoint he's still a weak on-ball defender (good in other areas though) and he certainly has had periods when his attitude could be questioned-i.e. disinterested play, complaining to refs, and Ts. I'd love to see him return to his perfomance after JO's suspension last year or from 2 yrs ago except then it maybe makes it even harder to decide to more him in the off season. Just kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't with him. I do think AJ earned the right to start until one of their performance levels suggests a change in the lineup is optimal.

PacerMan
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
I never complained about Tinsley with regards to his attitude as far as I know. I also have acknowledged that he is the best PG we have on the team. Like you stated it's his injuries that get me frustrated concerning Tins. Not his complaining against the referees sometimes, I can see past that as long as it is kept atleast a little in check, but the injuries, man...

I think we will have to play him and let him shine then trade him and one or two others and get back, depending on who we trade with him, either a top PG who is more durable an upper tier center (that will be almost impossible, but we can dream, right? ;)) or a top SG.

Regards,

I wasn't picking you out specifically, just speaking to the general tone on here (from some).

PacerMan
03-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I think Tins' time as a Pacer is quite limited. I think TPTB realize the departure of "the one we don't speak of", Bender's retirement, other injury prone players and chemistry problems require a complete overhaul over the summer. No one except Harrison and Granger is off limits IMO.

Other than this being your opinion, what are you basing that on? I've read nothing to suggest that TPTB think anything of the kind. To the contrary, they've said publicly we "need to get everyone back to see what happens".

BlueNGold
03-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Other than this being your opinion, what are you basing that on? I've read nothing to suggest that TPTB think anything of the kind. To the contrary, they've said publicly we "need to get everyone back to see what happens".
My opinion is based on several observations:

1) Our talent level is not what many thought it would be at this point. First, RonRon was the most talented player on the team. Peja is a nice player (love that stroke), but defense wins championships. Second, losing Reggie has hurt the SG position. There is now no consistent threat at SG. Third, we lost a lot of potential talent and athleticism with (no harm intended to him) the Bender fiasco.

2) The players are injury prone. Most troubling, the most talented veteran players (JO and Tinsley) are not durable. They are two key players who need to be part of the team the WHOLE year to create team continuity. We have already lost two years. I cannot see them making it through any particular year based on their record at this point. Other players including Foster, Cro and Freddie have their share of injuries as well.

3) Team chemistry. I don't know what it is about this team, but it has issues. I followed the team in the 90's and could sense a togetherness that does not exist on this team. The problem is not with the bench players, unfortunately. Maybe this will change, but so far I don't see that togetherness that is needed.

Those are the top three IMO.

...and as for the public comments by the Pacers, generally they mean nothing....but here it is true that the Pacers "need to get everyone back to see what happens". I think they are only talking about what they can salvage of this season. No crystal ball here, just observations and opinion...

Raskolnikov
03-13-2006, 02:50 AM
So, how's Tins fitting into the new offense? I haven't been able to see any games since his return.

Is he not holding the ball too much? Does he not make the ball and player movement suffer? Is he cutting down on the fancy passing and thus on TO's?

I know it seems like I'm focusing on the negatives here, but those were just some things I was afraid of when he'd come back. Has he proved my fears wrong?

If the answer to all of these questions is no, then Tins is our starting PG.

Jermaniac
03-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Tins is playing very good, he isnt hogging the ball at all. The ball movement is actually better when he is in the game, then when Anthony Johnson is cause Anthony Johnson cant create a shot for his teammates to save his life. He is always looking to make a pass, and even his shot seems to be coming back which is even better. He should be the starting PG soon.

ChicagoJ
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
That one-armed rifle pass he threw to Foster yesterday was a thing of beauty.

To my surprise, Foster even caught it and finished.

Shade
03-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Tins is our best PG.

With that said, why the hell was he not on the floor late in the game when AJ was hoisting bricks and throwing the ball away?

It's like with a healthy Tins, AJ automatically has to turn back into a pumpkin or something.

Four days later, but it seems like it should be reiterated.

FrenchConnection
03-14-2006, 12:13 PM
I just want to add that Tins' ability to drive the lane into traffic adds so much to this offense. Last night, he was better than his stat line and AJ was worse. Actually, AJ looked better when he was in with Tins than when he played the point. I think that Tins has to start the next game as he was good enough to finish this one.