PDA

View Full Version : The "Official" Pacers vs Rockets post game thread

Unclebuck
03-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Well it is going to be interesting to read some of the comments on this board.

Here is how I saw what happened. Pacers ran out of gas. The Rockets stepped up their defense and the shots the Pacers were able to get and make in the first almost 3 quarters, they weren't able to hit or get those same shots. AJ and Jax went cold, and we missed Fred and Danny

I was so mad at Jeff for missing two three throws and throwing the ball away late in the third, but I couldn't stay mad at him for very long, great
hustle by Jeff. That is why I love the guy.

You cannot fault the Pacer effort tonight, and if you do, either you didn't see the game or you're drunk

Well I'll leave the criticism of Rick and Jax to others.

Shade
03-09-2006, 12:09 AM
F#CK.

That is all.

Anthem
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
F#CK.
Isn't there a thread by Hicks somewhere asking for everyone to watch their language?

Way to be a good example, admin. :flirt:

Calgary Jazz
03-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Well, again game lost because Saras didn't play enough :mad: . This team needs either A.Johnson to be injuried ( do not wish him that) or Carlisle to be fired.

Spicoli
03-09-2006, 12:13 AM
I saw the effort, and I'm drunk. :D

Moses
I'll leave the criticism to Jack, AJ, and Rick.

First and foremost, AJ and Jack didn't just miss the game winners..They missed the 15 shots leading up to that...AJ and Jack threw up 6 straight 20 footers and missed all of them with about 3-4 mins left in the game.

Let me take you into the world of numbers.

Stephen was shooting 7-14 from the field prior to the 4th. By the end of the game, He's 8-20. That's flat out disgusting. Another disgusting fact is that AJ took a turnaround jumper when we could obviously get someone a better shot. The final two plays of the game were the worst I have ever seen. Why not let Runi and Peja get the last shot for a change? I mean, they have just as good a chance as making it as Stephen does.

Another thing that worries me about this team is our ability to make clutch shots. We don't have a single player on our team who has the ability to take over the final 2 minutes of the game when it's close. I really think Rick needs to just bench Stephen for the 4th quarter from now on.

RSmits
I'm more frustrated because they lost to the Knicks last night.

But that was one of the best efforts I've seen from the team in a long time. No Freddie, no JO, no Granger, no Croshere and Tinsley in his first game back. They just couldn't buy one at the end.

Yes, the play calling at the end sucked, and AJ made some gaffes.

But let's keep this up. That was a hell of a game by the team as the whole.

Bball
03-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I never want to see Anthony Johnson in any game in the waning moments. Never. Ever. Never....ever... ever

-Bball

And when Freddie is back I don't want to see him then either.

Outlaw
03-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Yao is becoming a beast. He just dominated the paint and there was nothing our bigs could do to stop him.

The Rockets played great defense in the fourth. If it weren't for Foster we would not have even had a chance at the end of the game.

Jermaniac
03-09-2006, 12:17 AM
I never want to see Anthony Johnson in any game in the waning moments. Never. Ever. Never....ever... ever

-Bball

And when Freddie is back I don't want to see him then either.BBall I'm sorry to tell you but as long as rick Carlisle is the coach of this team you will have to say that after every game.

Unclebuck
03-09-2006, 12:18 AM

-Bball

And when Freddie is back I don't want to see him then either.

Who do you want Gill and Scot taking the last shots

Shade
03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Isn't there a thread by Hicks somewhere asking for everyone to watch their language?

Way to be a good example, admin. :flirt:

I used a #. What more do you want from me?!

Oh, okay then. #U##. =/

Jermaniac
03-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Peja

ManicStreetPreachers
03-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Luckily Philly, Washington and Milwaukee lost tonight so really no change in standings.

Effort was great tonight, Peja had a great game (29pts, 9reb, 5 ast). IF this was not back to back game with Granger out it could have been a different outcome.

Indiana's last play in close games is all too predictable to even try to argue.

Moses
03-09-2006, 12:28 AM
I would have actually preferred Gill over Stephen tonight. Anybody over Stephen tonight..Just to make it unpredictable. Gill may suck, But who the hell would expect him to get the final shot? Teams just quadruple team Stephen Jackson and we inbound the ball to him anyways. It's a joke watching him hoist up a 3 pointer when he's being heavily contested by two players.

Moses
03-09-2006, 12:31 AM
I am not sure what play you guys are talking about, but when we were down 1 and Jax missed that three short, that shot wasnt really contested.

A man was coming over, but there werent two guys on him.........
Would it have made a difference if he was being double teamed? I still would expect the same result. A launched 3 pointer from 27 feet out.

Bball
03-09-2006, 12:37 AM

I'd like to see some cutting and screening and passing....

Apparently if AJ or Freddie are in the game at the end (or end of any quarter for that matter) then I won't see any of that.

-Bball

McKeyFan
03-09-2006, 12:40 AM
I'd like to see some cutting and screening and passing....

This is so obvious. I don't understand why a professional coach making millions can't also see it.

Rick ran three iso plays in a row for Jax. This is incomprehensible to me.

rm1369
03-09-2006, 12:46 AM
I'll leave the criticism to Jack, AJ, and Rick.

First and foremost, AJ and Jack didn't just miss the game winners..They missed the 15 shots leading up to that...AJ and Jack threw up 6 straight 20 footers and missed all of them with about 3-4 mins left in the game.

Let me take you into the world of numbers.

Stephen was shooting 7-14 from the field prior to the 4th. By the end of the game, He's 8-20. That's flat out disgusting. Another disgusting fact is that AJ took a turnaround jumper when we could obviously get someone a better shot. The final two plays of the game were the worst I have ever seen. Why not let Runi and Peja get the last shot for a change? I mean, they have just as good a chance as making it as Stephen does.

Another thing that worries me about this team is our ability to make clutch shots. We don't have a single player on our team who has the ability to take over the final 2 minutes of the game when it's close. I really think Rick needs to just bench Stephen for the 4th quarter from now on.

According to play by play Jax was 1-5, the mighty Peja 2-6.

Raskolnikov
03-09-2006, 02:24 AM
This is so obvious. I don't understand why a professional coach making millions can't also see it.

Rick ran three iso plays in a row for Jax. This is incomprehensible to me.
Yup.

Just too scared of TO's I guess.

CableKC
03-09-2006, 02:56 AM
I just checked the box score after coming home.

HOW THE FRAK CAN WE SCORE ONLY 11 PTS IN THE 4TH QTR?????? :censored:

I went through the ESPN Play-By-Play in the 4th QTR:

Peja - 6 pts
2 for 5 FG / 0 for 1 3pt / 2 for 2 FT

Tinsley - 0 pts
0 for 1 FG

SJax - 4 pts
1 for 3 FG / 0 for 2 3pt / 2 for 2 FT

Pollard - 1 pt
0 for 2 FG / 1-2 FT

AJ - 0 pts
0 for 3 FG / 0 for 3 3pt

Sarunas - 0 pts
0 for 1 3pt

This time...the problem wasn't with SJax towards the end of the game....with 2:47 minutes left in the game....with the game tied......AJ made 5 of the last 8 FG Attempts ( all of which missed )......with Peja making the last 2 points of the game and SJax making 2 FG Attempts ( that missed as well ). :censored:

rexnom
03-09-2006, 04:16 AM
um...would an "I miss you Jermaine" be appropriate here?

themind
03-09-2006, 06:00 AM
"The only available reserves were center David Harrison and three point guards -- Jamaal Tinsley, Sarunas Jasikevicius and Eddie Gill."

Can we win with such a "deep" team..?

But I also agree that Rick is very predictable...

D-BONE
03-09-2006, 07:37 AM
The clutch discussion has been visited before, but this is just another example of how we have nobody who's got what it takes to be a consistent go-to guy down the stretch. Jack and AJ aren't up to the task, but neither are Peja and the inured JO IMO. Of course, when you're up like that the game is really lost by letting the lead evaporate. I do think fatigue and essentially a skeleton crew was a factor, but it's still allowing another W to get away no matter how you slice it.

317Kim
03-09-2006, 10:47 AM
:disappoin :kickcan:

and now, Fred is out for atleast the rest of this roadtrip and Danger doesn't feel good. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060309/SPORTS04/603090475&theme=)

Raskolnikov
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM

and now, Fred is out for atleast the rest of this roadtrip and Danger doesn't feel good. (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060309/SPORTS04/603090475&theme=)
So I guess that Fred being out will put Sarunas back at the 2 for a while...

317Kim
03-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Runi at the 2 is not so good.

No Danger, No Fred. :( DOOMS :(

ChicagoJ
03-09-2006, 08:46 PM
The clutch discussion has been visited before, but this is just another example of how we have nobody who's got what it takes to be a consistent go-to guy down the stretch. Jack and AJ aren't up to the task, but neither are Peja and the inured JO IMO.

I know its your opinion but the facts show a number of clutch shots from JO over recent years. Not that long ago he was the #2 guy in the league behind Chauncey for "lead changing shots in the last two minutes." Of course, as I often complain about that - it was the Detroit announcers that pointed that out... I guess the Pacers announcers didn't want to acknowledge that Reggie was already no longer our go-to guy in crunch time, even before he retired.

Its amazing how the "JO is not clutch" legend grows while he's injured. Too bad there aren't any facts to support it, though.

D-BONE
03-09-2006, 10:21 PM
I know its your opinion but the facts show a number of clutch shots from JO over recent years. Not that long ago he was the #2 guy in the league behind Chauncey for "lead changing shots in the last two minutes." Of course, as I often complain about that - it was the Detroit announcers that pointed that out... I guess the Pacers announcers didn't want to acknowledge that Reggie was already no longer our go-to guy in crunch time, even before he retired.

Its amazing how the "JO is not clutch" legend grows while he's injured. Too bad there aren't any facts to support it, though.

OK. I'll give him credit for that stat. Can you provide any stats on how many game winning shots he has made? That would prove him to be a true clutch player in my mind. However, I will concede he has solid clutch quotient. Essential clutch level still a little bit to go maybe.

Outlaw
03-09-2006, 10:23 PM

Don't be surprised if Fred is out LONGER than a few games. :sadbanana :disappoin :kickcan:

grace
03-10-2006, 02:36 AM
I used a #. What more do you want from me?!

Oh, okay then. #U##. =/

:censored: works well for me.

sweabs
03-11-2006, 03:11 PM
OK. I'll give him credit for that stat. Can you provide any stats on how many game winning shots he has made? That would prove him to be a true clutch player in my mind. However, I will concede he has solid clutch quotient. Essential clutch level still a little bit to go maybe.

I think it's unfair to label someone as a "true" clutch player solely based on game winning shots.

No doubt, they have to play a significant role in judging someone's ability to perform in clutch situations. However, in JO's case and many other players for that matter, it's the key shots down the stretch within the last 1 or 2 minutes of the game that can be just as important as that last one. If you're in a close game that is constantly changing leads, every basket within the framework of those last 2 minutes becomes crucial.

Also, turning away from the offensive standpoint...let's look at defence. In JO's case in particular, he has been known to make some clutch plays in the closing minutes of games on the defensive end (which is just as important in my opinion). It takes a lot of guts to go up and block someone's shot who is going hard to the rim if you don't want to send them to the line.

One instance of this that immediately comes to mind: 2004 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. I forget which game it was exactly...we were in Miami, and it was a close game the entire way. Anyway, Caron Butler went baseline for a strong dunk over JO, and Jermaine would have none of that and swatted him (while getting poked in the eye). I think there may have been around 4 minutes left when that happened, but I thought that play was clutch at the time. Something like that can completely change the flow of the game.

D-BONE
03-11-2006, 04:55 PM
I think it's unfair to label someone as a "true" clutch player solely based on game winning shots.

No doubt, they have to play a significant role in judging someone's ability to perform in clutch situations. However, in JO's case and many other players for that matter, it's the key shots down the stretch within the last 1 or 2 minutes of the game that can be just as important as that last one. If you're in a close game that is constantly changing leads, every basket within the framework of those last 2 minutes becomes crucial.

Also, turning away from the offensive standpoint...let's look at defence. In JO's case in particular, he has been known to make some clutch plays in the closing minutes of games on the defensive end (which is just as important in my opinion). It takes a lot of guts to go up and block someone's shot who is going hard to the rim if you don't want to send them to the line.

One instance of this that immediately comes to mind: 2004 Eastern Conference Semi-Finals. I forget which game it was exactly...we were in Miami, and it was a close game the entire way. Anyway, Caron Butler went baseline for a strong dunk over JO, and Jermaine would have none of that and swatted him (while getting poked in the eye). I think there may have been around 4 minutes left when that happened, but I thought that play was clutch at the time. Something like that can completely change the flow of the game.

Your defensive point is well taken. The "true" or "quintessential" clutch player status reference I make is a difficult monniker to attain. Basically, that would be people of great or legend status. Obviously, there's relatively few in that group. I can agree, with both you and also with Jay's comment, that JO can be a solid clutch performer. However, I would also add that if we take 2004 out of the equation, that clutch argument may not be as strong. That's not to say there's anything invalid about JO's play that year. It just means for a variety of reasons, some beyond his control, his clutch play level is not as high currently, IMO, as it once was. I hope it returns to that level with more time on the court.

Bball
03-11-2006, 05:29 PM
When we ask JO to be Wilt Chamberlain and overuse him all game long he is too beat down by the 4th quarter to be all that effective in a one and done play. He's also not the hardest player to figure out and guard in that situation once he's physically and/or mentally worn down. ...Nor is the Pacer team all that hard to guard when the other team sees the ball go into JO. Predictable to a fault.

Also, we don't have much of a chance at a rebound in that case.

IMHO...

You could argue that going to Reggie was predictable but in that case we had Reggie running off screens and not 4 players planted in position like trees watching to see what Reggie was going to do with the ball. And we had players in a better position to rebound... not trying to make space on the floor for one player to "go to work".

-Bball