PDA

View Full Version : Why arent we talking to Hoiburg?

Ragnar
03-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Hoopshype has him talking to Detroit about a roster spot. What we could not use him? I would love to see him back here why arent they talking to him?

I know the payroll is high but I would think he is looking at a fairly small deal.

Hicks
03-07-2006, 11:57 AM
We would we want a 3rd SG?

ChicagoJ
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Because unlike the other SGs on our roster, he actually can shoot.

Remember, I like shooting guards that can shoot. UB and others like SGs that can guard.

:flirt:

RWB
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM
The mayor was one of my favorite players, but having a pace maker I would think playing is very risky for Fred and his family.

btowncolt
03-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Remember, I like shooting guards that can shoot. UB and others like SGs that can guard.

Yes, we were all huge fans or Reggie because of his defensive skills.

Why is the assumption that we're simply sitting around playing Jenga instead of calling him? Maybe he wants a title. And maybe Detroit is the best place for him to get one. And they actually have a role for him.

BigDawg44
03-07-2006, 12:47 PM
plus, we would have 2 freds on the team.....we can't have that

CableKC
03-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Wouldn't the universe implode if that happened?

Its kind of like having 2 Chuck Norris' on the roster at the same time.......it just can't happen....for the sake of the universe.....:buddies:

CableKC
03-07-2006, 12:54 PM

In a perfect universe........I wouldn't mind having him on the roster......I remember I saw some article on CNNsi or ESPN that said that he was something like the top 10 best shooter across the board in FG% / 3pt FG% / FT% in the last season he played in. He's a very good role player on a team....3pt threat....solid scoring option off the bench.

RWB
03-07-2006, 01:01 PM
From yesterday's Maller website.

http://www.benmaller.com/#nba_rumors_notes

Former Timberwolves guard Fred Hoiberg, who is still sidelined after undergoing open heart surgery last summer, said it will be some time before he plays this year if he does decide to play.

McKeyFan
03-07-2006, 01:17 PM
I thought the mayor was Mark Pope.

ChicagoJ
03-07-2006, 01:29 PM
No, Fred was so popular in his hometown of Ames, IA that he was nicknamed "The Mayor".

RWB
03-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Thinking of Hoiberg one other thing comes to mind. I remember Fred giving Reggie credit for taking him under his wings (like JJones) and his appreciation for making him a better player.

Harrison has been giving credit to JO for working with him this year and look at his improvement.

I know this kind of goes in a different direction (sorry Ragnar), but who have our young guys been able to follow and pattern their games after the past few years. Except for Reggie, what vets took the time to teach our youngins how to be a professional?

Did Jalen Rose work with anyone? I don't think Dale Davis or Tim Hardaway were here long enough. I'll give Artest credit for trying with Brewer and then Granger. Did Tins have anyone (Kenny Anderson, IT) to show him the way?

I guess my question goes back to who's responsibility is it, the coaches or vet players to show the way? What if you don't have the coaches/vets to do it. Do you bring in people from the outside just to work with indidvidual players? I guess this goes back to many PD members who thought Harrison needed some Big Man tutoring (something I wholeheartely agreed with). If so, do other players deserve a bigger break from us because they didn't get the help?

Mourning
03-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I would consider "The Mayor" for next year IF we are unable to keep Freddie and if he feels and can actually somehow prove that he can still play.

He seems like a nice back up SG with shooting as his specialty. I think he could make us pretty leathal at the end of games and quarters with some of our other shooters and frontcourt players we have. And it probably won't take much to sign him either, he wasn't expensive for the T-Wolvers and he's a few years older and has a pacemaker now. I would still like to add him though if we are unable to keep Freddie.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Tom White
03-07-2006, 03:03 PM
I thought the mayor was Mark Pope.

No, Fred is "The Mayor", Mark is the, uh, well, Mark is "The Pope".

Ragnar
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Thinking of Hoiberg one other thing comes to mind. I remember Fred giving Reggie credit for taking him under his wings (like JJones) and his appreciation for making him a better player.

Harrison has been giving credit to JO for working with him this year and look at his improvement.

I know this kind of goes in a different direction (sorry Ragnar), but who have our young guys been able to follow and pattern their games after the past few years. Except for Reggie, what vets took the time to teach our youngins how to be a professional?

Did Jalen Rose work with anyone? I don't think Dale Davis or Tim Hardaway were here long enough. I'll give Artest credit for trying with Brewer and then Granger. Did Tins have anyone (Kenny Anderson, IT) to show him the way?

I guess my question goes back to who's responsibility is it, the coaches or vet players to show the way? What if you don't have the coaches/vets to do it. Do you bring in people from the outside just to work with indidvidual players? I guess this goes back to many PD members who thought Harrison needed some Big Man tutoring (something I wholeheartely agreed with). If so, do other players deserve a bigger break from us because they didn't get the help?

I made the point when we drafted Tinsley that we should have kept Jack arround just for the mentoring that he could provide. I still think we should have brought Jack back or at least hired him to work with Jamaal.

It is clearly a boone for a rookie to get to play with one of the greats. Barkley and Magic had greats to play with them they first came into the league and both of them have said how much they learned from their respective mentors.

Moses
03-07-2006, 04:53 PM
Wouldn't the universe implode if that happened?

Its kind of like having 2 Chuck Norris' on the roster at the same time.......it just can't happen....for the sake of the universe.....:buddies:
Quoted for truth.

FreshPrince22
03-07-2006, 06:20 PM
You guys can have him. I don't know why we need him with Delfino/Delk/Evans/Hunter all being very capable at the backup shooting guard spot.

Moses
03-08-2006, 03:51 PM
You guys can have him. I don't know why we need him with Delfino/Delk/Evans/Hunter all being very capable at the backup shooting guard spot.
I think the real idea here is to get a backup who can bomb threes. Those guys are capable of getting hot and making 3's..but Hoiberg is a good guy to have on the end of your bench to throw in there and see if he catches fire beyond the arc. Kind of like Van Horn for the Mavs..He either completely sucks *** or he's on fire and doesn't miss. I would take him in the off-season.

Fool
03-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Yeah, its definately a Steve Kerr on the Spurs role.

Wayne Jarvis
03-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Why not? The Knicks have two Rose's and they beat us.... ;)

Moses
03-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Why not? The Knicks have two Rose's and they beat us.... ;)
Who is this rose you speak of....and what are..... 'Knicks'?