PDA

View Full Version : JO might be back soon

Hicks
03-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Judging by his comments made to ABC yesterday afternoon. He said he's already running and jumping. I have to think you're well along if you can do that while recovering from a groin injury. Hopefully he'll meet the original 8 week prognosis.

That'd put him back somewhere around March 21-24, at Memphis, or home vs Chicago or Detroit.

Mourning
03-06-2006, 02:40 PM
I don't know, I would REALLY want him back as soon as possible, but I want him to be REALLY healthy aswell, there's that little voice at the back of my head that keeps warning me of JO not having totally healed to help our current play-off chances.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Will Galen
03-06-2006, 02:57 PM
JO has said he's not coming back until he's a hundred percent. Since he's already running, if he gets back by April he can still play in 11 ball games. Our last game is Wed. April 19th. I don't know how soon the playoffs would start. For a fact they wouldn't start sooner than Friday April 21. Probably not until Sat. the 22nd. Whatever, it would give JO three weeks to get in game shape.

CableKC
03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
When it comes to injuries....and we have seen it time and time again......I would much rather err on the side of safety then not. Our next set of 5 games seem somewhat winnable.....without JONeal....where I can see us go ( at worst ) 3 for 6 against:

Tues 7 New York
Wed 8 at Houston
Fri 10 at NO/Oklahoma City
Sun 12 at Toronto
Mon 13 Orlando
Wed 15 Denver

and therefore do not see a need to panic and rush JONeal ( Tinsley or even Croshere ) back any earlier then needed. And then.....the earliest that I would want him back ( and its mainly for the "Artest" factor ) is the Sacramento game. Cuz the schedule that follows has games against Boston, Chicago and Detoit.

Fri 17 Sacramento
Sun 19 Boston
Tue 21 at Memphis
Wed 22 Chicago
Fri 24 Detroit

I would hope that he can get some games underneath his belt before we face Detroit again. But since there is no need for any "Tie-breaker" with Detroit...since they will win the Central division.....I wouldn't mind holding out JONeal, Tinsley and Croshere as long as possible to ensure that they are as "healed" as possible before the Playoffs.

Shade
03-06-2006, 03:16 PM
It would be cool if he gets back in time for Reggie's jersey retirement.

Will Galen
03-06-2006, 03:57 PM
It would be cool if he gets back in time for Reggie's jersey retirement.

I don't see that mattering one way or another since he will be there injured or not.

denyfizle
03-06-2006, 04:19 PM
I hope he plays on March 17!!! Even for just that game then rest ;)

Shade
03-06-2006, 04:29 PM
I don't see that mattering one way or another since he will be there injured or not.

It matters to me, since I'll be there and want to see JO play. :tongue: ;)

OnlyPacersLeft
03-06-2006, 04:54 PM
JO take it easy big fella...I know he's anxiouis to get out there with this new team but we need him 100% if we are going to make a serious run towards the playoffs.

Pacesetter
03-06-2006, 05:46 PM
The only thing I hope he does is get healthy! If he does it in 8 weeks great, but if he needs more time, take it. Take whatever he needs just get healthy!

I've got to admit though, I'm getting stoked thinking about the JO-Peja combo!!!!

I hope Morway is working magic to keep JO and Peja together. Even if they've got to restructure JO's contract. JO needs a guy like Peja to take the heat off him, and make everyone's job easier! Also, JO would be better off staying with the Pacers til the end of his career! I know it would suit me just fine ... lol ... :)

JMO.

Kaufman
03-06-2006, 06:30 PM
I could be wrong, my sources could be wrong, but I'm told JO won't be playing until April at best, probably mid-April is realistic.

I hate posting definite things like this because it'll screw my credibility if I'm wrong but that's what my people tell me.

Take it for what it is worth.

Kaufman
03-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Well I can check in here - between you and I, Austin's injury while not as debilitating, is more concerning as it can be life threatening as well and career ending. I can't get into the specifics of it but he's having some rather lasting ramifications of these "concussions" that are concerning to long term well being. I won't say what those are, remember I'm hearing 1/2 the story as my friend isn't the treating physician himself. But I do know there are some concerns in Pacerland regarding Croshere. That said he might be back tomorrow, or it might be indefinite. I don't know.

Kaufman
03-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I just went for a run and was thinking about how to really relay Austin's dilemma, and two names came to mind: Steve Young, and Troy Aikman. Yes athletes of a more contact sport than basketball, but similar risks and similar type outcomes...

Los Angeles
03-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Sorry if any of you consider this off topic or just a grenade throw. But fact is, I'm ready for the Pacers to move on from JO and Tins. In fact, if someone played a major role under IT, I want them out of here. I just want that whole mess behind us.

Sorry, but it's like breaking up with someone. Especially if you've had a long and passionate relationship with them. I'm just at a point where I don't think the marriage will work out, so I'm willing to go through the painful divorce.

Pacers#1Fan
03-06-2006, 11:01 PM
As long as he's back by March 27 when they play @ Miami I'll be happy cause I'm gonna be there.

Hicks
03-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I just went for a run and was thinking about how to really relay Austin's dilemma, and two names came to mind: Steve Young, and Troy Aikman. Yes athletes of a more contact sport than basketball, but similar risks and similar type outcomes...

Are you suggesting his career may be over?

Jermaniac
03-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Sorry if any of you consider this off topic or just a grenade throw. But fact is, I'm ready for the Pacers to move on from JO and Tins. In fact, if someone played a major role under IT, I want them out of here. I just want that whole mess behind us.

Sorry, but it's like breaking up with someone. Especially if you've had a long and passionate relationship with them. I'm just at a point where I don't think the marriage will work out, so I'm willing to go through the painful divorce.Jermaine O'Neal isnt going anywhere, he isnt no mess.

Pacers#1Fan
03-06-2006, 11:09 PM
I agree with Jermaniac, IMO JO is a mainstay in Indiana. Tinsley, however, is another story.

Kaufman
03-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Are you suggesting his career may be over?

I'm not formally suggesting it, as it seems that nobody is saying that out loud, but I am suggesting that the situations are similar. Now the fact of the matter is that Austin plays a non-contact sport. I don't know how that changes things. I professionally don't deal a lot with concussions, I don't work with the Kentucky football team as much at all so concussions in the setting of basketball/sports isn't something that I'm as exposed to. But I have to wonder a little bit about what is going on here given what I am hearing and the fact that this has been longer than I expected for it to be a routine thing. The brain is a funny thing - it doesn't heal well; there is no regeneration of white or grey matter, and if there as, as Christopher Reeve was so involved in, its a slow slow process.

Kaufman
03-06-2006, 11:16 PM
I will say this, doctors involved with the Pacers believe that Tinsley will be gone as soon as he can be involved in a throw in given his base year contract and the difficulty that is involved in trading him with respect to that.

ilive4sports
03-06-2006, 11:18 PM
I hope JO stays in Indy. I just hope Carlisle doesnt make us run the half court offense when he is back. I think JO could be very successful in a fast pace offense.

I hope he is back soon. There have been games since he has been gone where i say, "I wish JO were playing". In the loss against Detroit he would have made a huge impact. In Philly he would have also(even though we won). In Boston too. JO is clutch. It may not be him hitting a game winning shot but he shows up when necessary.

I hope he is back by April 10th. Why the 10th you ask. Not because we play the Knicks. Because it is my first time going out to Indy to see the Pacers play. I cant wait. And its only a few days before my birthday so that week should be pretty good with My first Pacers game, my birthday, and Easter. So Jermaine if your reading this, be back by April 10th.

Los Angeles
03-06-2006, 11:24 PM
Jermaine O'Neal isnt going anywhere, he isnt no mess.
I'm not talking about the player - I really like JO as a man and as a player.

The team? It's been a big mess for 5 years straight and there aint nobody can deny it.

Nobody.

pizza guy
03-06-2006, 11:37 PM
I absolutely cannot wait for JO to be back. It has to be KILLING him to sit on the bench and watch this whole time. I feel bad for Croshere, if his concussion is career-threatening. I've always liked Austin, and that is certainly no way for him (or anyone else for that matter) to go out. I had forgotten that Tinsley was on the team until I saw him on the bench last night in Philly. Seriously, I had not thought about JT in a long time, and was really nice...

I certainly want JO to come back with some time to get into game shape and get acclimated to the new style and new player (Peja) before we go into the playoffs. Without JO, we've got a decent team; but with JO, this team could be a force.

Hicks
03-06-2006, 11:41 PM
I have another question for Kaufman. If the doctors expect him back in April, how can he be already running and jumping?

Bball
03-07-2006, 12:08 AM
I have another question for Kaufman. If the doctors expect him back in April, how can he be already running and jumping?

"Controlled" running and "controlled" jumping maybe? "What does Bball mean by 'controlled'?" .... Running specific distances or minutes (short distances or periods of time). Half effort and very deliberate, not all out. Stopping at the first sign of pain or tightness. Short jumping, not skying for a rebound amongst other players. Timing jumps (more like hops). And in any case, very limited minutes and monitored progress.

Maybe? :dunno:
-Bball

Kaufman
03-07-2006, 12:08 AM
There's lots of things that go into training for basketball condition. I'll try to put it to you again using a football analogy: Remember when Edgerrin tore his ACL back against the Chiefs a few years ago? Well within two months he was running as well. But he wasn't really football ready for approximately 9 months, and it really took him two years to recover more completely. Now this certainly isn't an ACL tear and the severity doesn't compare, but the comparison is there to explain some stuff out. In a week or two, if things go okay, he'll get cleared for "non-contact" basketball, and then a week or two of that, then contact, then he'll be out there. There's a lot of rehabilitation that goes into these things.

I hope this explains things. I suppose if JO pushes, he'll really set his own clock and get back as soon as he wants to. But if he does things properly, it will take about 4-6 more weeks of intense rehabilitation.

PacerMan
03-07-2006, 12:11 AM
I'm not talking about the player - I really like JO as a man and as a player.

The team? It's been a big mess for 5 years straight and there aint nobody can deny it.

Nobody.

Uh, NOT.

Evan_The_Dude
03-07-2006, 01:21 AM

I had the exact same injury as JO does last year around this time. I was able to jog within two weeks, run and jump within three. I thought I was fine after that, felt no pain, but then I got back on the court. Big mistake.

Lateral movement is the key. You can run and jump all you want, but those muscles are really in use when going side to side. A couple of trips down the court and I quicky reaggrivated the injury.

After that I felt pain for the longest time. It JUST recently finally healed up 100%. JO better play it safe and take his time.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
03-07-2006, 01:50 AM
Im sorry but JO needs to play as soon as he is healthy enough to come back. This crap is getting old. This is the 2nd season in a row where he has sat out the 2nd half so he could be healthy for the playoffs. Other players dont get to take the 2nd half off in order to rest for the playoffs, why should he?

JO is not that old, he shouldnt need to rest this much. Assuming he was healthy enough to come back the next game (I know he isnt), why would it be so ridiculously hard for him to stay healthy through the measely 26 games that are left in the season??!? If he cant make it through 26 friggin games, how is he EVER going to be any use to this team again?

I know the injury he sustained was pretty serious, but I am getting the feeling hes getting pretty close to playing shape, but hed rather rest more for the playoffs, and thats unacceptable to me, especially from our franchise player.

Los Angeles
03-07-2006, 02:06 AM
Uh, NOT.
Nice argument.

Thoughtful. Compelling.

ChicagoJ
03-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Long, boring story...

I had the same injury my senior year of college - my groin went "pop" at the end of the sixth fastest 200m dash in school history. Unfortunately, three lanes over, my teammate just finished the fourth fastest 200m dash in school history. I digress...

I left the stadium that day on a golf cart, was on crutches for the next week, but thanks to the miracle of modern athletic training, ran two races the following Saturday (it was the District championship, after all). The next week, at the Christian College nationals, I was supposed to run three races - I beat said teammate and took fourth place in the 400m, but re-aggravated the injury, had to intentionally false-start the 200m, and the trainers couldn't get me ready for the mile relay so I had to watch my last college race from the sidelines, then I hobbled up to the award ceremony on crutches again, and wasn't even able to jog again for months.

Anyway, now that I've bored you with that...

As bball said, there can be "controlled" running and even jumping but that's not the same as the sprinting and leaping one must do in a basketball game.

If we were playing in the NBA Finals right now, he could probably find a way to suit up and not worry about the risk of further injury. But there's no reason for him to risk further, debilitating injury now. This is a muscle tear, the probability of re-injuring it by returning too soon is very, very high. In fact, said a bit differently, the probability of him not re-injuring it (if he returns too soon) in some way is miniscule.

The hip adductor muscles (groin) are the muscles that lift your leg in front of you and are absolutely vital for fast-twitch activities like sprinting and leaping. With this muscle, there's a big difference between a controlled run or jump at 75% and the explosion that is necessary to sprint or leap at 100%. And that's presumably the difference between where JO is now and where he has to be to return to the court.