PDA

View Full Version : New ESPN Power Rankings - Spurs #1, Suns #2, Pacers #6

Shade
03-06-2006, 12:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2006&week=18

Does anyone agree with the Suns being ranked ahead of the Pistons?

I also wasn't sure about the Pacers moving up to #6, but looking at the teams around them, they have just as much of an argument to be there as anyone else at the moment.

Harddrive7
03-06-2006, 12:25 PM
I think so, the Suns are playing better than the Pistons right now. Suns are on a what, 10 game streak right now when the Pistons are like 7-3 in their last 10? I mean if you solely go from that. Let's just say this week the Suns are playing better.

travmil
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2006&week=18

Does anyone agree with the Suns being ranked ahead of the Pistons?

Power ranking are all about who's hot right now. Phoenix has won 10 straight, and 15 of 17. They've beaten some good teams in that stretch and capped it off with a statement win over Dallas. In that same span, Detroit has dropped six games (all to teams with lesser records of course), had a two game losing streak, and a loss to Atlanta. So yes, Phoenix is the hotter team right now.

Kstat
03-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Not much to argue there.

Record is all that matters to me anyway.

piksi
03-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Power rankings are as useful as used toilet paper

btowncolt
03-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Why doesn't ESPN tailor their power rankings to make Saras look better?

Mourning
03-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I would rate the Cav's higher, yes, I know their history off sliding after the all-star break, but this seems a bit too harsh.

I would rate us a little lower too. What it all comes down to in my opinion is how heavy you rate the last few weeks in your ratings or how heavy you count a little longer lasting period of play. I try to make a combination of the two when I want to determine my own "list".

Anwyay, my list would be something like this:

1) :spurs:

The defending champions and as usual seem to start their annual second half engine.

2) :thepiston

Can't hold on to the trend of the Bulls record team in the 90's, which is not a shame, it's not called a record for nothing. I hope they peaked too early, but that's unlikely given their experience at competing at the right moment.

3) :suns:

Considering that they have been without their best post player who also happens to be one of the top post-players in the league (easily) they are doing beyond well. IF Amare comes back fully healthy and can integrate into the team before the play-offs start they should be able to make life a lot more difficult this time around for the Spurs in the west IF either of them makes it their, because ...

4) :mavericks

Dallas is right behind Phoenix IF NOT on par. They have finally gained a defensive identity, lets hope for them it lasts into the play-offs. I remember a few years back they had focused more on playing defense in the first season half, before throwing it away after the all-star break and the play-offs. IF the Suns get back Amare and succesfully integrate him into their team after his hefty injury then Dallas will have a really hard time staying with Phoenix in the play-offs, provided that Dallas somehow manages to beat the Spurs a round earlier in the play-offs :uhoh:

5) :heat:

Seem to be finally getting it together, offcourse the "Big Fella" leads their pack with Wade as his deputy, they are locked for the 2nd spot in the east and the southeast division is only theirs to loose. They better upgrade their defensive shortcomings though because Antoine, Jason and Posey aren't scaring many teams on the defensive end (particularly Posey is dissappointing in that area as he used to be quite good in that area), though with Shaq and D-Wade on one team (health) I think your team will always get a decent shot.

6) :nuggets:

I'm a little reluctant to put them here, but the difference between the number 5 and 6 in the league this year seems to be quite huge. So, I guess this is where the list of pretenders starts. They have a nice team, but lack the quality SG they need to punish opposing defences from doubling Carmello or the Nuggets post players. The other problem is, offcourse, that alteast one of their best post players seems to be always injured.
IF Denver solves both of these issues they are contenders too, but that is a HUGE IF and it won't happen this season with the trade deadline having gone by.

7) :cavaliers

They seem to be suffering from some kind of syndrome which results in a team starting quite well and then throwing it away in the second half of the season, however I'm not convinced they will suffer from Cleveland syndrome nearly as much as they did the last few years.

8) :thepacers

Speaking about the Nuggets and their injuries reminded me of our own gold- and-blue THEN writing about a "Cavs"-syndrome evolving these last few years ... maybe we are "blessed" with a Pacers "syndrome"? Luckily it hasn't hurt us as much YET as I personally anticipated after the hell we went through from Ron playing martyr and JO and Jamaal having their annual injury "breaks". Peja and his effect on effective team ballmovement and on SJax have been above expectations. March is going to be H - A - R - D though.

9) :grizzlies

A team with a lot more veterans then last year ... until they lost Stoudamire for the season. Still this is a very deep team and they could make it difficult for their opponent if they managed to avoid the top-3 out west.

10a) :rockets:

Finally they are healthy and look-look they are crawling their way up again. Not nearly deep enough to make one of the top-3 teams sweat much during the play-offs, but good enough to make any other team nervous in my opinion ... if only Vince's nephew would stay healthy for a permanent stretch of time.

10b) :nets:

Wow! Coming up with deciding who finishes up with the number 10-spot is harder then I anticipated, so I took a weasel decision and made my self off by chosing two teams.
The Nets STILL don't have anything to take seriously inside (unless you think Krstic is an uber stud ;)), but their starting backcourt and their swingman are as good as they can come in this league, particularly offensively. However, no bigman probably means "out in the first" during the play-offs.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Mourning
03-06-2006, 01:29 PM

:lol:

Fool
03-06-2006, 01:33 PM
^ Agreed

Harddrive7
03-06-2006, 01:36 PM

:lol:

Shade
03-06-2006, 01:46 PM

It's rare that something makes me LOL, but... :lmao:

Fireball Kid
03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
That Boris Diaw is somethin else, isnt he? I knew he had good all around game, but after watching him in the Dallas-Phoenix game, I was even more impressed.

As for the rankings, I'm not gonna argue. The truth is, Dallas ain't gonna win nothing if there not fully healthy. These last couple of games proved that they still have a long way to go.

The Suns sure do scare me though....

MagicRat
03-06-2006, 02:36 PM

btowncolt - Bringing down the quality of this message board since it's inception!.............:woot:

Shade
03-06-2006, 02:50 PM
btowncolt - Bringing down the quality of this message board since it's inception!.............:woot:

YOU'RE MY BOY, BLUE!!!!!

Gyron
03-06-2006, 03:13 PM
SI published their power rankings and the pacers jumped to 7th from 11th on theirs.