PDA

View Full Version : Maggette returns to action.

Will Galen
03-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Many of you will remember that Maggette was the player the Pacers had decided to trade Ron Artest for, but then had second thoughts after hearing their Doctors opinions.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/wires/03/03/2030.ap.bkn.clippers.maggette.0117/

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Corey Maggette played Friday night for the first time in 39 games when he returned from a foot injury in the Los Angeles Clippers' game at Utah.

Maggette had not played since Dec. 5 against Miami, when he separated a ligament in his left foot.

Maggette, who has averaged 21.7 points and 5.5 rebounds in 13 games this season, was cleared to resume practice Tuesday. He entered the game Friday late in the first period and closed the quarter with a reverse layup.

Clippers center Chris Kaman also returned Friday night after missing two games with a sprained left ankle.

Los Angeles
03-04-2006, 04:03 PM
Well it's my opinion that we would have lost a lot more games without getting a player like Peja a month ago.

In fact, I don't think we would have made the playoffs if we had taken Maggette.

We made the right moves if you ask me.

Moses
03-04-2006, 06:41 PM
Not really sure what to say.

I think Peja is about equal to what we could have gotten in terms of Magette. Peja provides a much more dangerous shooter and a better rebounder while Magette provides athleticism and slashing. He's also a decent rebounder but I'm not sure how well he and the team would have meshed. He's the type of guy that has to have the ball to get involved in a game. When you play a guy like Peja, you have to adjust your defense and always make sure theres someone close to him near the perimeter or he will light you up. I think once JO returns, Peja will have been a much better choice because if he learns to pass out to Peja quickly and often, they could make a dynamic duo.

SoupIsGood
03-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Hindsight is 20/20

We got Peja, Im happy with him, no point in dwelling in "what could have been"

You can say that again!

Will Galen
03-04-2006, 07:49 PM
We probably had Peja and Martin until Ron opened his mouth. Remember Kuffman's post where he said the Pacer Docs had two medical records to look over, Peja's and Martins.

As is I think Peja's style fits the Pacer's better, he doesn't need the ball. As has been said Maggette needs the ball. Of course if we had picked Maggette we would probably have traded Jax before the trade deadline.

Moses
03-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Excuse the ignorance, but what Martin are you speaking of?
Hopefully not Kenyon. :laugh:

Unclebuck
03-04-2006, 09:47 PM
I think this is very interesting and as happy as I am with Peja I still wonder if Maggette would not have been a better trade. I say this for two reasons.

1) Peja can be a fee agent this summer, he can leave if he wants and the Pacers cannot do anything about it.

2) Second and perhaps even more important is this: how all this impacts Granger. Don't we want Granger to be the Pacers small forward full time probably next season. Wouldn't Maggette fit in well as the starting shooting guard alongside Granger and then the Pacers could trade Jax.

Are you happy with Granger getting some time as the backup small forward and backup power forward next season. Isn't he too good for that, especially next season.

There is a strong argument to be made that Maggette was the player the Pacers needed.

Unclebuck
03-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Thats why I am confused.

I assume he is speaking on Kenyon, but while I havent followed SAc-town that closely this year, I dont think Kenyon is on the Kings.......

As for K-Mart, I used to like him(even if I did say from day 1 that Kidd would make him look better then he is/was); Then he got that huge contract....

He's talking abut Kevin Martin who is playing extremely well as the Kings starting shooting guard.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kevin_martin/index.html

Arcadian
03-04-2006, 09:58 PM
Well it's my opinion that we would have lost a lot more games without getting a player like Peja a month ago.

In fact, I don't think we would have made the playoffs if we had taken Maggette.

We made the right moves if you ask me.

In terms of this season I completely agree. We needed a player then. If we waited for Maggette we would have spiraled into a dark place by now.

Long term Maggette might have been a better pick up but I'm plenty happy about Peja even if he walks.

Unclebuck
03-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Why cant D.G. play the "3" and Peja play the "2"?

That won't work. Peja is 6'10" and it just won't work.

Anthem
03-04-2006, 11:03 PM
I'd have rather had Magette, no question. And we could have had him, but Bird/Walsh didn't trust the foot. Plus Bird's loved Peja forever.

I still think the Jax/AJ for Andre Miller trade made too much sense. I can't believe it didn't happen. I'd have traded both of our knuckleheads at once... Ron for Maggette and Jax/AJ for Miller. We'd run Granger/Maggette/Miller, and all of them are under contract for a while.

If Peja leaves over the summer and we get nothing, then that's gonna be a pretty frustrating trade.

PacerMan
03-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Why cant D.G. play the "3" and Peja play the "2"?

because he's 6'10" and not nearly quick enough to guard 2's.

CableKC
03-05-2006, 01:05 AM
He's talking abut Kevin Martin who is playing extremely well as the Kings starting shooting guard.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kevin_martin/index.html
Seeing the way that Kevin Martin has played since moving into the lineup ( which has been outstanding ) ....I was very p*ssed at what Artest did.....which essentially killed any chance that we could have gotten him alongside Peja as a possible offseason replacement for Freddie.

Kaufman
03-05-2006, 01:16 AM
We probably had Peja and Martin until Ron opened his mouth. Remember Kuffman's post where he said the Pacer Docs had two medical records to look over, Peja's and Martins.

As is I think Peja's style fits the Pacer's better, he doesn't need the ball. As has been said Maggette needs the ball. Of course if we had picked Maggette we would probably have traded Jax before the trade deadline.

Who's Kuffman? You've not seen the movie "Man on the Moon". I highly recommend it. Then watch some old episodes of the show Taxi.

As far as the additional King that I thought would be included in the exchange, I've not confirmed who that person was in this forum, so don't assume that it is or isn't Kevin Martin.

As far as the Maggette trade, again, the ins and outs of this hadn't much to do with the desires of Larry Bird or Donnie Walsh, per se. There are insurance liabilities the Pacers would have assumed had that trade been consumated as they would not have been able to find someone to underwrite Mr. Maggette's policy being that he was injured. So for the last time, in retrospect, this trade wouldn't have been able to have happened this year. Too much money involved. The only way it would have happened would have been had Maggette been able to pass a physical exam prior to the trade deadline.

Thanks and good night everybody.

Go Kentucky Wildcats against the Florida Gators tomorrow afternoon!

Will Galen
03-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Who's Kuffman? You've not seen the movie "Man on the Moon". I highly recommend it. Then watch some old episodes of the show Taxi.

As far as the additional King that I thought would be included in the exchange, I've not confirmed who that person was in this forum, so don't assume that it is or isn't Kevin Martin.

As far as the Maggette trade, again, the ins and outs of this hadn't much to do with the desires of Larry Bird or Donnie Walsh, per se. There are insurance liabilities the Pacers would have assumed had that trade been consumated as they would not have been able to find someone to underwrite Mr. Maggette's policy being that he was injured. So for the last time, in retrospect, this trade wouldn't have been able to have happened this year. Too much money involved. The only way it would have happened would have been had Maggette been able to pass a physical exam prior to the trade deadline.

Thanks and good night everybody.

Go Kentucky Wildcats against the Florida Gators tomorrow afternoon!

Hmmm, I wonder where I got the idea it was Martin. I really don't remember.

Merz
03-05-2006, 03:49 AM
I heard that either Martin or Garcia could of been involved.

Pacerized
03-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Maggette was my first realistic choice during the long trade wait, but I was happy with Peja. I think Maggette would have been the better choice if healthy for the same reasons everyone else list. His contract, and the fact that he could play the 2 full time. The difficult thing with having Maggette at the 2 though, is that you need a shooting 3 like Peja to compliment him, since he's really more of a slasher then a shooter. I doubt if he would have fit in quite as well with our current roster. I just hope we can keep Peja, so we aren't looking at nothing for Artest next year.

Ralph Snart
03-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I'll take Peja, I've been very pleased with his game, and I think once O'neal comes back, we'll see even better play (cause the only big men Peja's been working with are Pollard, Foster and Harrison to a lesser degree - not exactly offensive dynamos).

I think Magette would have just been another Jackson for us, and we don't need two Jacksons at the 2 and 3 spots. Peja's abaility to work without the ball, pass, and hit his shots has been the perfect answer for our team. The ball movement the past 20 games has been fantastic as a result.

rexnom
03-05-2006, 09:49 AM
2) Second and perhaps even more important is this: how all this impacts Granger. Don't we want Granger to be the Pacers small forward full time probably next season. Wouldn't Maggette fit in well as the starting shooting guard alongside Granger and then the Pacers could trade Jax.

Are you happy with Granger getting some time as the backup small forward and backup power forward next season. Isn't he too good for that, especially next season.

This is what troubles me. Granger, IMO, can be as good as Marion but only if given the consistent 30+ mpg. Peja was a good (if not perfect) choice for our current situation but I'm wondering if for the future we wouldn't be better suited with an all-star SG instead.This is why I wanted Pierce so badly...

denyfizle
03-05-2006, 06:00 PM
No need to dwell for me either. I'm happy with Peja even if MAggette was healthy then.

Anthem
07-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I'd have rather had Magette, no question. And we could have had him, but Bird/Walsh didn't trust the foot. Plus Bird's loved Peja forever.

I still think the Jax/AJ for Andre Miller trade made too much sense. I can't believe it didn't happen. I'd have traded both of our knuckleheads at once... Ron for Maggette and Jax/AJ for Miller. We'd run Granger/Maggette/Miller, and all of them are under contract for a while.

If Peja leaves over the summer and we get nothing, then that's gonna be a pretty frustrating trade.
I agree!