PDA

View Full Version : This should result in an automatic trip to the showers.

Will Galen
03-04-2006, 02:39 PM
What am I talking about? This . . .

------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/04/sports/basketball/04knicks.html?ex=1142139600&en=dc37caa7c13613fe&ei=5043&partner=EXCITE

"With the Knicks leading, 101-99, Marbury drove the lane, missed his sixth layup of the night and immediately began berating the nearest referee. The Bulls ran upcourt and got the ball to a wide-open Gordon, who hit the go-ahead 3-pointer with 31.7 seconds left. The Knicks never scored again."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I see no possible excuse for such conduct. One, I've never seen a referee change a call after he/she's been berated. Two, when such conduct is permitted it makes the other players think it's okay if they do it too. Three, the players teammates are left playing 4 on 5. Four, it's totally unprofessional, and unsportsman like.

The players know all the above and still do it. Why?

I think the problem goes clear back to the garden of Eden and is getting worse. What am I talking about?

In Genesis the third chapter we read that the devil tempted Eve. Cutting to the applicable part Genesis 3:2 says, "And the woman said to the serpent. "We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden; 3 but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree which is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.'" 4 But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not die. 5 For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

So the temptation was if Eve ate of the fruit she would be like God and know good and evil. In other words, if she knew the difference between good and evil, she wouldn't need God to tell her what was right and wrong, she would be able to decide for herself. So she ate the fruit.

Hows that apply today? Just that more and more people want to decide things for themselves. In other words a me first, selfish attitude. Thus you have players berating the referees while the other team takes advantage and scores.

Coaches should take care of this problem but don't. Thus I think teams should make rules that players cannot talk to referees when the ball is in play. The punishment should be an automatic trip to the showers for a first offense.

For each subsequent offense, an automatic trip to the showers and a one game suspension.

Why so harsh? Because I'm tired of watching players being poor sports, so I think something should be done about it. Sport is defined as 1. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

A poor sport is defined as, 4.a. One known for the manner of one's acceptance of rules, especially of a game, or of a difficult situation: a poor sport.

I know, some of you see no problem. (shaking head)

Moses
03-04-2006, 02:47 PM
I agree. If everyone totally stopped hurassing the refs about calls then I would be all for it. The problem lies within the fact that many players see other players, both on their team and not on their team, complain to referees so they think that they should do it to just so the ref doesn't make the same mistake again. I think the only person who has the right to complain about a bad call would be the coach of a team. Coaches generally don't complain about near as many calls as players do and chances are that if a coach is seriously complaining about a call, then it was a shanked call.

I also think it's bad sportsmenship and I think that the players should get warnings from their coach and once you get so many, you get suspended for a game without pay. That would clean this problem up right away..There are some teams that take complaining to officiating to the brink and it's really annoying to watch when you constantly watch them confront referees about calls that aren't going to be changed. I think the professional way to confront a ref during a game would be before/during free throws or when you are coming out of a time out and the ball isn't in play yet. I see some guys confront refs in a manneristic way and kind of just say, 'hey look - watch for this guy next play, he's hitting me every time on the elbow' rather then screaming and shouting and kicking the ball into the stands and dancing around on the court flexing around.

rexnom
03-04-2006, 03:41 PM
I just think it's stupid to talk to a ref because it's not like they are ever going to say:

"Oh, gee, Stephon, I didn't see it that way. (Blows whistle) Stop play! There was a foul back here. I didn't see it at first but Stephon convinced me when he started yelling at me."

Will Galen
03-04-2006, 03:43 PM
How many times have I mentioned the idea that only team captains would be allowed to talk to the refs, and if anyone else speaks to the ref the team gets "T'd" up.

I love the way rugby does it, and I think basketball would be smart to go to this type of system

That's a good idea too, but not while the ball is in play!

MagicRat
03-04-2006, 04:30 PM
Unfortunately for the Blue and Gold, they may have had a more knuckleheaded play than that last night. AJ didn't get a call going to the hoop, turned and yelled at the ref and got a T. The ball ended up bouncing right back to him, but as he spun to yell at the ref he ended up standing out of bounds and the ball bounced off of his leg. Not only gave up the point for the tech, but could have had the ball back with 13 seconds still on the shot clock. Kind of tough to take in a 1 point loss........:shakehead

Pacesetter
03-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Unfortunately for the Blue and Gold, they may have had a more knuckleheaded play than that last night. AJ didn't get a call going to the hoop, turned and yelled at the ref and got a T. The ball ended up bouncing right back to him, but as he spun to yell at the ref he ended up standing out of bounds and the ball bounced off of his leg. Not only gave up the point for the tech, but could have had the ball back with 13 seconds still on the shot clock. Kind of tough to take in a 1 point loss........:shakehead

Instant karma!

Outlaw
03-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Interesting I was trying to figure out how to put a post together on the constant whining by Players.But then I see someone else is thinking along the same lines.(thanks Will):)

The league has to institute some kind of rule change to put a stop to this kind of nonsense. It's hard for fans to pay such prices to watch millionare athletes not giving 100% because they are crying to the referees over a call made or not made on a previous posession.:mad:

I wish they would just play the game. In college they would not get away with this kind of behavior. Now they believe everybody owes them something.:rolleyes:

penn13
03-04-2006, 05:06 PM
From the New York Knicks... to Genesis... to Webster's Dictionary.

I have never thought about mankind's original sin when I see Jax complaining about a call to the ref, but you make a good point.

heywoode
03-04-2006, 05:15 PM

I was remembering that same thing when Jackson missed the shot at the buzzer....

Off topic, great pic in your avatar! I'm assuming those kids are yours?!

MagicRat
03-04-2006, 05:34 PM
I was remembering that same thing when Jackson missed the shot at the buzzer....

Off topic, great pic in your avatar! I'm assuming those kids are yours?!

Thanks. That is a rare appearance by my kids on PD. Runi's my 15 month old and Jamaal's my 6 year old. My 4 year old daughter, Jax, isn't in the picture, unfortunately......

Mourning
03-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks. That is a rare appearance by my kids on PD. Runi's my 15 month old and Jamaal's my 6 year old. My 4 year old daughter, Jax, isn't in the picture, unfortunately......

Ok, but she has the AJ jersey, right? :D:D:D ;)

Tim
03-04-2006, 06:11 PM
The coach can address the situation with his players, sit him.

Slick Pinkham
03-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Marbury doing stuff like that could rub off on Jalen.

...wait...

I'm remember that "whining to the ref and not getting back on D play"

Marbury stole it! :mad:

Jalen should sue!

MagicRat
03-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Ok, but she has the AJ jersey, right? :D:D:D ;)
My children are taught from an early age that we like point guards who can point, so no AJ jersey for her......:-p

See that, MagicRat hating on Jax.....................
I'm a little confused. Is it because she has a Jackson replica and not a Swingman or authentic?.......:confused:

Needless to say, they ride together............:woot2:

8.9_seconds
03-05-2006, 01:43 AM
Haha ,MR, I've always kind of leaned toward not having kids, but that picture might have changed my mind. I want to dress my kids in Jerseys too, dammit!

beast23
03-05-2006, 08:36 AM
I htink there are two ways to get rid of the player complaining...

On each occassion that Marbury misses a layup, a ref should take a "referee's timeout", grab the announcer's mike and lay into him.

"Marbury, you dumb son-of-a-b!tch, how the hell could miss a g.d. gimme? The other team gives you a freakin' lay-in and you disrespect them by missing the damn thing? What the hell is wrong with you?"

So, you don't think they would ever go for method number 1? No, probably not. But method number 2 has some promise.

If I were a nice big forward or center on his team, as soon as he walked into my locker room, I'd beat the living hell out of him. And I'd make it very clear that the butt-poundings would continue after every loss he cost my team by spending his time complaing about calls rather than getting back on defense.

The way I look at it, if I'm playing for the Knicks, I've got nothing to lose. If Isiah doesn't like it that I'm beating up on my fellow players, what is he going to do? Waive me? Trade me? Jeez, one of those options would be terrible now wouldn't it?

Tim
03-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Thats pointless in this case. The game is already lost.........

But the next game is 48 minutes long.

ChicagoJ
03-06-2006, 11:48 AM
My children are taught from an early age that we like point guards who can point, so no AJ jersey for her......:-p

:lol: