PDA

View Full Version : The "official" Pacers vs. Celtics post-game thread

Jermaniac
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Rick is afraid of Jack and Jermaine. He doesnt want them to get pissed, or disapointed so he makes sure they are happy first and foremost.

Its the only way to explain why Jack got that last shot. And always does when JO is not playing. He never hits them. Fred was getting to the basket when ever he wanted should have gave him the ball, or at least gave Peja a damn try but nope Rick doesnt want Jack mad so Jack gets to miss.

And we lost a double digit lead and lost the game, how predictable.

Shade
03-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Peja was open! He was OPEN!!!!!

:suicide:

indytoad
03-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Peja was open! He was OPEN!!!!!

:suicide:

Such is your fate when you have Stephen Jackson on your team.

IndyToad
20 feet deep

317Kim
03-03-2006, 11:23 PM
:kickcan: with some :furious: but overall just a :shakehead

I hate 1 point losses. One point wins are great though!!
Hulk and Fred had nice games off the bench. Peja lit it up with a couple of threes early in the 3rd...but Pierce game alive after that.

Unclebuck
03-03-2006, 11:24 PM
I suppose this will be a point of discussion. Who should have gotten the final shot. With 4 seconds left I think you either have to go to Fred or Jax. Jax got a good shot, and he nearly made it. So I have no problem with that shot. Al Albert said Peja was open, but not really, Pierce was in the area, Peja would have had IMo a more difficult shot than what Jax got.

Moving on. What is the deal with players hitting lucky three point shots against the pacers. Mo Williams hit a 35 footer to win a game. Manu hits a 30 footer and now Pierce banks a shot in when he was way off balance. if you look at the replay, Pierce was fading to his left. That was a lucky shot.

Turnovers were the Pacers undoing tonight. The worst type of turnovers, ones that led to easy layups. That was the key to the game. Celtics really pressure the ball and really blitz dribblers, and caused a lot of turnovers. But if you can get inside the Celts defense they are weak.

What did everyone think of Sam Perkins. I thought he was decent. I liked the points he was making, even though he had some trouble making those points.

Tough loss.

Shade
As soon as Jack got the ball, I actually said "Dear God, no!" out loud. I knew it was over then.

SoupIsGood
I thought we looked to get Fred the ball but he could not get open

heywoode
03-03-2006, 11:25 PM
It sure seems like Jackson gets a lot more rope than anyone else....

I was just saying before that last play, "Can we EVER be on the winning end of a last second play? Every time, Jack just dribbles the clock away and then jacks up a ****ty shot with a hand in his face because he can't get any more open than that.

Jack shoulda given it to Peja. He was as open as Jack got, and Peja can actually HIT a shot with a hand in his face....

Not really high on Jackson right now...

indytoad
03-03-2006, 11:25 PM
Moving on. What is the deal with players hitting lucky three point shots against the pacers. Mo Williams hit a 35 footer to win a game. Manu hits a 30 footer and now Pierce banks a shot in when he was way off balance. if you look at the replay, Pierce was fading to his left. That was a lucky shot.

Maybe if our defense wasn't so consistently inconsistent, people making lucky shots wouldn't be such a big deal. When you let people hang around all the time, these things happen.

IndyToad
Can't go out anymore

Shade
03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Did you have a problem with how Pierce kept torching Jack left and right, going around him at will?

SoupIsGood
03-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Jax nearly makes a lot of shots :devil:

Fireball Kid
03-03-2006, 11:27 PM
First Dallas crumbles at San Antonio, and now this?

I mean........the best shooter should have the last shot. Surley Rick realises this, doesn't he? He knows Peja is one of the best shooters in the NBA, doesnt he?

ITS SIMPLE FREAKIN LOGIC!!!!

Shade
03-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Jax nearly makes a lot of shots :devil:

In the "almost" universe, the Pacers are multi-time champions.

Almost.

Jermaniac
03-03-2006, 11:28 PM
It sure seems like Jackson gets a lot more rope than anyone else....

I was just saying before that last play, "Can we EVER be on the winning end of a last second play? Every time, Jack just dribbles the clock away and then jacks up a ****ty shot with a hand in his face because he can't get any more open than that.

Jack shoulda given it to Peja. He was as open as Jack got, and Peja can actually HIT a shot with a hand in his face....

Not really high on Jackson right now...Its not his fault man, Rick Carlisle actually drew that beauty up, can you beleive they had 2 damn times outs and they came up with that bull****. LMAO

Unclebuck
03-03-2006, 11:28 PM
Did you have a problem with how Pierce kept torching Jack left and right, going around him at will?

Well I could say what I was thinking the whole night, but why bother. Jax did as well as he could on him. Pacers used to have a defender who did pretty well on Pierce, but that was so long ago I hardly remember his name.

I thought Delonte West was a huge key tonight. He and Gomes, but West was great.

Why doesn't channel 4 show more of Rick's post game press conference. I'd rather listen to that than to hear Stacy and Doctor dunk

There were a few times in the 3rd quarter I did get mad at Jax because he took a few bad shots when Peja was on fire. When Peja is in a groove, he needs the ball every time

Shade
03-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Welll I could say what I was thinking the whole night, but why bother. Jax did as well as he could on him. Pacers used to have a defender who did pretty well on Pierce, but that was so long ago I hardly remember his name.

I thought Delonte West was a huge key tonight. He and Gomes, but West was great.

I thought Danny did decent on Pierce when he was on him. I was praying for Rick to sub Jack for Danny, but as usual, it didn't happen.

Ralph Snart
03-03-2006, 11:30 PM
I knew it wouldn't be our night when Pierce banked in that 3. We had every opportunity to win this game, but in the end couldn't get it done.

To be honest, I'm not really that upset. The one thing you can say about Boston, even though they're young and the have a horrible coach, everyone on the team plays extremely hard.

It just wasn't on the cards for us tonight, but at least the boys put the effort in, and Fred came up with some clutch shots to make up for his free throw miss.

As to the last shot, Jackson was the first guy open with four seconds left on the clock, he got some space and put a shot up. Peja was open for about a milisecond before another Boston player cut over to him, so whever shot the ball was going to have a defender on him.

317Kim
03-03-2006, 11:30 PM
I thought the ball was going to Fred as well. 11 pts in the 4th quarter. He's still upset at himself on that missed FT though. The look on his face just kills me.

Slick Pinkham
03-03-2006, 11:31 PM
What did everyone think of Sam Perkins. I thought he was decent. I liked the points he was making, even though he had some trouble making those points.

I was stuck watching the Celtics team with Tommy Heinsohn crying :cry: about every foul call and assuring me that with good officiating the Celtics would be up by 50.
:rolleyes:

Outlaw
03-03-2006, 11:32 PM
I ,too have no problem with Jack's shot. As far as Pierce goes he is known for taking over games at crunch time.

The Celtics just wanted this game more.IMO

Shade
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
I was stuck watching the Celtics team with Tommy Heinsohn crying :cry: about every foul call and assuring me that with good officiating the Celtics would be up by 50.
:rolleyes:

Oh well. Mr. Homer can cry at home in his beer during the playoffs, along with the rest of the Celtics. :devil:

Unclebuck
03-03-2006, 11:33 PM
I thought Danny did decent on Pierce when he was on him. I was praying for Rick to sub Jack for Danny, but as usual, it didn't happen.

You know I think Rick was bringing Granger in with about 3 minutes left, he had Granger walking to the scorers table, but then Jax hit a shot and he called Granger back. So I assume he was coming in for Jax. (I could be wrong about the exact time he was coming in, but I know it was late 4th )

Shade
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
You know I think Rick was bringing Granger in with about 3 minutes left, he had Granger walking to the scorers table, but then Jax hit a shot and he called Granger back. So I assume he was coming in for Jax. (I could be wrong about the exact time he was coming in, but I know it was late 4th )

Jax hits ONE shot and Rick's mind is blown.

D-BONE
UB, you are right about Al's suggestion that Peja was open on Jack's left. The replay clearly showed he was not that open and Pierce would have been right in the passing lane anyway. As far as Jack getting torched. Pierce has only dropped mid to high thirties on the last 3 or 4 team's prior to us so nobody else is shutting him down. The D on the bank three on him was excellent. What can you do about a shot like that? The loss was about TOs and poor rebounding.

Unclebuck
I hate to repeat myself, but that was a good shot by Jax, and Peja was slightly open, but Pierce would have been right on him by the time the ball got there. (plus Peja was not hot in the 4th

sunsun
03-03-2006, 11:35 PM
what a pity.we always lose the last shot!!!

Unclebuck
03-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Pacers did get a huge break on that last out of bounds call. It didn't go off the Celts. it should have been their ball with 4 seconds left.

Pacers lost for a reason tonight, they had too many turnovers and did not stay aggressive

Hicks
03-03-2006, 11:37 PM
Turnovers and rebounds.

Turnovers. And rebounds.

:scream:

For as much praise as Al was throwing on Fred at the end, I was pissed because he had made so many stupid plays before.

SoupIsGood
03-03-2006, 11:39 PM
Where was pollard at the end? Hurt?

Hicks
03-03-2006, 11:39 PM
I hate to repeat myself, but that was a good shot by Jax, and Peja was slightly open, but Pierce would have been right on him by the time the ball got there. (plus Peja was not hot in the 4th

UB I don't know why more people aren't seeing what we did. Alberts declared otherwise, and I immediately hit the instant replay on my DVR. Peja was barely open, and even as Jack was rising up, Pierce went back to cover him.

Now granted, I'd probably prefer to take my chances with Peja in that situation regardless, but I've seen a LOT of horrible shots from Jackson, and that was not one of them.

D-BONE
03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Turnovers and rebounds.

Turnovers. And rebounds.

:scream:

For as much praise as Al was throwing on Fred at the end, I was pissed because he had made so many stupid plays before.

Well, overall Fred played some great 4th quarter minutes and has played well of late in general. I was disappointed in his missed FT on the 3-pt play opportunity late. Shades of his crunch-time Atlanta FT shooting debacle. That's the one aspect of his game he has not proven to me yet-pressure FTs.

Hicks
03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
I'll add that I hated a few of Fred's jacked up shots. It was that and his TO's that had me upset.

hoopsforlife
I agree with you UB. Jax had a good shot and took it. He was just 4 inches too close to the basket. Peja wasn't open long enough for a good shot and had his back to the goal anyway.

This game was lost from turnovers and rebounding in the 3rd quarter. :(

Unclebuck

OK, then who did you want to get the last shot, and how would you get that player the shot. I'm guessing you wanted Peja to get the last shot. OK, but with 4 seconds left you don't have time to throw the ball in and run him off a couple of screens. If you throw the ball right in to Peja, is he going to be able to create a shot for himself in that situation. I don't think so.

I think Fred or Jax were the obvious choices, with Peja second option in each case if Celts help.

But do you really want Fred to get the last shot on a drive.

Hicks
03-03-2006, 11:45 PM
OK, then who did you want to get the last shot, and how would you get that player the shot. I'm guessing you wanted Peja to get the last shot. OK, but with 4 seconds left you don't have time to throw the ball in and run him off a couple of screens. If you throw the ball right in to Peja, is he going to be able to create a shot for himself in that situation. I don't think so.

I think Fred or Jax were the obvious choices, with Peja second option in each case if Celts help.

But do you really want Fred to get the last shot on a drive.

UB my criticism of Fred's shots earlier in the game has nothing to do with who I wanted to take the last shot. Speaking of which, I already said I'd rather take my chances with Jack passing to Peja on that play, even though he was covered (still has a high release, high-arc shot from a 6'10" guy).

Outlaw
03-03-2006, 11:48 PM
I would have called for Jack or Fred in that situation. They are the only guys who can create their own shot. I think Rick made the right call.:cool:

D-BONE
03-03-2006, 11:48 PM
Peja on last shot = NOT OPEN. Typical of the anti-jack crowd to assign blame when there really isn't any to go around. I can't believe so many knowledgable basketball types can be so blinded by bias to never give the guy credit for anything. 20 pts, 5 boards, 7 assists, a block, a steal, 50% from the field and 5/6 from the line. Face the facts, even though you may not like him-and I respect your right not to-you have to admit the guy is a solid player. Let me repeat, 7 assists.

D-BONE
03-03-2006, 11:53 PM
P.S.-I realize some are not overly criticizing Jack. Response was more aimed at early posts in the thread. Also, Hicks, I though it appeared there was a good chance that had Jack tried to pass that ball, Pierce would have had a good shot to step up and pick it.

Kegboy
03-04-2006, 12:21 AM
Just to add my voice to the chorus, there was nothing wrong with that last shot. Jax took the best option available, and got off a good shot against real pressure.

Turnovers killed us. That West can sure be a pain in the ***.

heywoode
03-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Peja on last shot = NOT OPEN. Typical of the anti-jack crowd to assign blame when there really isn't any to go around. I can't believe so many knowledgable basketball types can be so blinded by bias to never give the guy credit for anything. 20 pts, 5 boards, 7 assists, a block, a steal, 50% from the field and 5/6 from the line. Face the facts, even though you may not like him-and I respect your right not to-you have to admit the guy is a solid player. Let me repeat, 7 assists.

He is a mostly solid player.

I don't particularly have a problem with him personally, I just think that for each of those 7 assists he had, there was a bad shot, or a bobbled dribble turnover, or a bad pass, or a dropped pass, or a missed-the-open-guy non-pass/crap shot that negates most of the good that he does.

He plays decent defense when he wants to, and he has wanted to lately, so I can't complain about it. He has climbed out of his slump and started scoring his average again, so no real complaints there either.

Unfortunately, he is just squirrely enough that I don't trust him in the money situations. He certainly thinks every "next" shot is going in, and that gets to be detrimental to the team concept. If that was Rick's play, then so be it, but my complaint is that as soon as Jack got the ball, I knew the game was over (and lost). I don't like that feeling.

How I get over having that feeling is beyond me, but I'm just not comfortable with him having the ball. I'm not going to make any statements about what happens when everyone is healthy because I've come to realize that will never be the case. If he can't be a third scoring option, we are always going to struggle, and we will almost certainly lose more one point games than we win.

That is my problem with Jackson.

Pacesetter
03-04-2006, 12:44 AM
There was obviously something missing in the way the team competed tonight. I don't have any idea what it was, or caused from but I saw it within 2 minutes of tipoff. They played well enough to lose, and that's what happened. Basically they looked tired, and played flat footed. The offensive rebounding made the dogs howl. 1 offensive rebound? We had a chance to win it in the end, but it just didn't happen. Everybody on the team had a hand in this loss, we lacked the killer mentality - and again lose a close one we needed!!!!

I feel the pain of this loss more than anything else. It's an awful feeling to know this is another game we let get away from not making the hustle plays. No matter though, every team has these kinds of heartbreaking losses. :sunshine:

Let's go Pacers!!!!!!!!!!

Jon Theodore
03-04-2006, 01:54 AM
I am so sick of people hating on Jackson. What about Fred Jones critical turnovers and the missed free throw?

I knew we lost the game when Pierce hit that ridiculous three. Regardless, I like Jackson as our clutch shooter right now. The guy is determined to win and plays with a lot of heart.

It's obvious that his bad rep has to do with the brawl, but whatever I like the guy. I seriously am starting to miss Jermaine. Peja and Jack will get so many good looks with Jermaine in the post.

Although I think Sarunas' margin for error is ridiculous. it's been talked about, but Carlisle taking him out everytime he makes a mistake is a joke. I'm sure that thought doesn't affect Sarunas play AT ALL. Carlisle has a psychology degree, so maybe he knows what he is doing...i don't really know. If his goal is to break Saras' spirit.

I can't wait to get rid of Carlisle and I don't buy into the garbage that he makes good out of what little we have. As one of the deepest teams in the league, to me it is expected we still win with guys out.

AJ shouldn't of got the start. Sarunas played great in Washington, but hell I like him and AJ a lot so it's not a big deal to me.

This loss didn't have me as angry as I should of been or normally am. When Pierce was lighting us up in the 4th I knew we were screwed. I haven't even checked the box score but Jackson sure was doing a good job of moving the ball all night long, I had no problem with the final play. How many of us were expecting to win at that point?

We certainly didn't deserve the win at that point.

CableKC
03-04-2006, 02:16 AM
Whoever was open or the better shot.....Peja or SJax...I would like...for once to have the hot hand make the shot.....which from what you guys said...was Freddie.

Its predictable to have SJax make the shot.....its predictable ( and sounded like he may or may not have had a good shot ) that Peja should could have made the shot.....but its not predictable that the ball would go to Freddie.

Oh well.....the last shot is always going to go with the scorer that Carlisle is most comfortable with......SJax. I don't blame him on this....the call was made for him to make the last shot.

If it hasn't been mentioned......AJ and Sarunas sucked it up out there with their shooting. Both shot terribly.....who covered them both? Was it Delonte West?

Also......the team....as a whole......blew a 12 point lead AGAIN IN THE 3rd QTR.....we didn't deserve to win the game.

D-BONE
03-04-2006, 08:57 AM
He is a mostly solid player.

I don't particularly have a problem with him personally, I just think that for each of those 7 assists he had, there was a bad shot, or a bobbled dribble turnover, or a bad pass, or a dropped pass, or a missed-the-open-guy non-pass/crap shot that negates most of the good that he does.

He plays decent defense when he wants to, and he has wanted to lately, so I can't complain about it. He has climbed out of his slump and started scoring his average again, so no real complaints there either.

Unfortunately, he is just squirrely enough that I don't trust him in the money situations. He certainly thinks every "next" shot is going in, and that gets to be detrimental to the team concept. If that was Rick's play, then so be it, but my complaint is that as soon as Jack got the ball, I knew the game was over (and lost). I don't like that feeling.

How I get over having that feeling is beyond me, but I'm just not comfortable with him having the ball. I'm not going to make any statements about what happens when everyone is healthy because I've come to realize that will never be the case. If he can't be a third scoring option, we are always going to struggle, and we will almost certainly lose more one point games than we win.

That is my problem with Jackson.

Thank you for your balanced thoughts. I cannot argue that Jack has faults nor would I. I was extremely put off by his play early in the season and during the Artest suspension and I have stated that I would have absolutely no qualms in sending him elsewhere for something reasonably valuable to us in return. On the other hand, I've just been a bit irked by some of the negativity that has lingered here regarding him lately. I believe his play, spirit, and toughness since the trade have been a major factor in our improved play as a team. Not the only factor of course. I think your point about how he handles the return of the other players is significant. Only time will tell what happens then. We can only hope that another personnel realignment does not ruin the dynamics of the moment. As far as for every good play there's a TO or some other mishap, I can see that to an extent, but I also think you could say that about lots of players.

Unclebuck
03-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Freddie did shot 7 of 12 that is pretty good for the type of shots he gets. I don't think he gets enough credit from many of the posters in this forum. He's had some huge 4th quarters and I would guess he is the Pacers leading scorer in the 4th quarter this season

DeS
03-04-2006, 11:44 AM
The thing about the last SJax shot can be discussed, but imho it does not matter. That's important - pacers are unable to finish (very)close games. I gues it's about 3/10 ratio pacers are wining last shot games lately. I guess RC has not many (if any) combinations for the final shot. Usualy he cals an iso play and the oponent teams are prepared to defend. To end the game with iso You have to have inside clutch player and pacers have no such player. Even if J'O will return soon, the problem will remain. And if Pacers will not change the approach to the last shot sithuations, I expect close game W/L ratio will not improve.

D-BONE
03-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Freddie did shot 7 of 12 that is pretty good for the type of shots he gets. I don't think he gets enough credit from many of the posters in this forum. He's had some huge 4th quarters and I would guess he is the Pacers leading scorer in the 4th quarter this season

You're right that his performance deserves recognition. Also a big factor in our line up. Personally, still wanna see a high pressue FT, but it's not that I don't think he's capable of it. I think it's interesting that last night Fred, Peja, and Jack, the current roster's top offensive options, each took 12 FG attempts. Also in Fred, Peja, Jack order: Minutes: 31, 34, 38. TOs: 3, 4, 4. In other words, I think that speaks to the balance and sharing going on with the team. I realize that statistial balance of the Celts game is also partly chance, but I still think it's telling. The other thing is everyone seems to respect each other's opportunities. Currently, no visible pouting due to lack of shots or other issues. The fact that Peja immediately found Jack after the final shot miss and gave him a tap on the head says a lot about his unselfishness and the type of attitude that's developed. While Jack can still suffer from an occasional lock-in to shooting spell, he's been moving the ball very well the last several games. I thought last night was one of his better passing games of the year. I'm just hoping this vibe keeps up and continues when injured guys return.

D-BONE
03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
The thing about the last SJax shot can be discussed, but imho it does not matter. That's important - pacers are unable to finish (very)close games. I gues it's about 3/10 ratio pacers are wining last shot games lately. I guess RC has not many (if any) combinations for the final shot. Usualy he cals an iso play and the oponent teams are prepared to defend. To end the game with iso You have to have inside clutch player and pacers have no such player. Even if J'O will return soon, the problem will remain. And if Pacers will not change the approach to the last shot sithuations, I expect close game W/L ratio will not improve.

Good point. Nobody has stood out as the go-to guy in the one-shot scenario. Not easy to repalce #31 when it comes to that role. If that guy is here, he needs to distinguish himself or be discovered, whatever the case may be. You may be right that there's nobody on the team as it's composed now that has the intestinal fortitude and mental toughness for that job.

denyfizle
03-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I didn't have a problem with Jackson shooting the last shot, but the fact that he just hoisted it up with a defender in front of him and an (only semi) open Peja, was what aggravated me. I for one am not sure with how clutch Peja is in the end game, and I'm not sure with Fred either. All I wanted to see was that we got the best shot we could in the situation. We didn't. Well, like someone said, as long as we got Wacko Jacko, such will be our fate. I HATE STEPHEN JACKSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sixthman
03-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Pacers did get a huge break on that last out of bounds call. It didn't go off the Celts. it should have been their ball with 4 seconds left.

Pacers lost for a reason tonight, they had too many turnovers and did not stay aggressive

Good call. No excuses, tonight.

Also, had Jack made that last pass to Peja we would have had no time for a rebound on a miss - you want to take that shot, if you can, with enough time for a put back. Not that rebounding that last shot mattered anyway because I don't remember seeing any Pacer seriously in position for a put back.

I have no problem with Jack shooting the ball. He freed himself for a good shot and just missed by fractions of an inch. I do wonder why we don't set up something for Peja, like we did for Reggie, where Peja comes off screens and frees himself for a last shot. Can't install everything at once I know. Maybe down the road for the playoffs?

Peck
03-04-2006, 01:40 PM
I'll make a brief observation here.

You have to give the Celtics a lot of credit for the style of play the employed vs. us last night. It totally took us out of our offense & our defense & when you can do that as a team no matter who you are you are going to win some games.

I am not blaming the loss on any one person but I want to point out that Rick fell back to his safety blanket early & often. When the Celtics got made some fast break points early in the second quarter Rick abandoned what has been working for us since the trade & reverted back to haveing all of the wing players fall back on defense & only leave one big man down low for the offensive boards. We had one offensive rebound all night long & that is pathetic.

Also we started our offense again at 25' from the basket & very rarely made it past the 15' mark. They went into a 2-3 zone & destroyed us with doubling the ball & instead of the movement we had been going with we again reverted back to spacing which lead to them picking off a lot of our passes or us throwing bad passes or what generally happened was we had to pass to guys even farther away from the basket.

Like Diamond Dave told me during the game you hate to lose to a team like this because it feel more like your losing to a gimmick than a real team.

Even as crappy as we played in the second half it still took another wild long distance shot to beat us. Like someone said earlier, how many of those have we been on the recieving end of this year?

Man we need another big man in the worst of ways.

diamonddave00
03-04-2006, 02:22 PM
My whole problem was when Peja was hot in the 3rd quarter hitting for 10 points in the first four minutes - the Pacers totally quit going to him. If Slick were coaching they would have milked that until the Celtics stopped him.

Over the last 20 minutes of the game Pega took 2 shots - sorry you have to get him more looks than that in 20 minutes. Once the lead was at 12 the Pacers forced jumper and turned the ball over. Not even looking for Peja - it was the on court play at that point which lost the game.

Going from a 70-58 lead to tieing it on 2 Peja free throws at 72 in 3 minutes was where the game was lost, not the last second shot.

Moses
03-04-2006, 02:40 PM
I agree. We definitely need to get Peja more shots when he's on fire like that. I don't care if he takes 20-25 shots in a game for now if he makes at least half of them..Which he was making pretty much everything.

One thing I don't like is how everyone seems to hate on Jackson so bad. He played good and had 7 assists which is pretty damn impressive for the so called "Black Hole." If I were Rick, I'd have had Peja, Freddie, and Jackson running around like mad men trying to cut from eachother and get off of eachothers screens and one of them would get open enough to take a good shot. Needless to say, I can't really say I'm that dissapointed in the loss. They took 14 more shots then us and we are still playing short handed and David Harrison is still injured which became apparent towards the second half when he wasn't taking a prominent role in the offense.

I think the real difference maker in the game was Anthony Johnson because on a normal night, he sinks about 3 or 4 of the shots he missed but he is coming off of a sickness so you can't really do anything about it now except get ready for the next game.

Unclebuck
03-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Also we started our offense again at 25' from the basket & very rarely made it past the 15' mark. They went into a 2-3 zone & destroyed us with doubling the ball & instead of the movement we had been going with we again reverted back to spacing which lead to them picking off a lot of our passes or us throwing bad passes or what generally happened was we had to pass to guys even farther away from the basket.

The reasonw why the offense started 25' from the basket is because of the Celtics pressure defense. That was not the Pacers choice. And if you notice any time a Pacers tried to drive the Celtics doubled the driver, and it worked rather well for the Celtics. (Celtics type of defense is what the 1998-2000 Pacers used to distroy and humiliate)

OnlyPacersLeft
03-04-2006, 04:32 PM
had they given that to fred jones he probably would have drove expecting the foul and missed. Just like the spurs game...sure jack shooting it wasn't the best option but you live and die by the shots you take. Losing this game was unacceptable!

Peck
03-04-2006, 05:06 PM
The reasonw why the offense started 25' from the basket is because of the Celtics pressure defense. That was not the Pacers choice. And if you notice any time a Pacers tried to drive the Celtics doubled the driver, and it worked rather well for the Celtics. (Celtics type of defense is what the 1998-2000 Pacers used to distroy and humiliate)

Yea like I said early on the Celtics upped the pressure cooker for sure, but I still think we poorly played that with less movement & more spacing.

Good call on the 98-00 defense & we were better with it because of Dale.

Hicks
03-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Peck, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think UB was saying that the Celtics' defense is the type of D that the 98-2000 Pacers' OFFENSE used to beat.

owl
03-04-2006, 09:08 PM
The 98-00 Pacers ran a precision offense with set plays that they ran
very well. That is what the Pistons do now. This years Pacers are not
in sync for various reasons. Injuries number one and a new player.
They should definitely be running plays for Peja like when Reggie was here.

owl

heywoode
03-05-2006, 09:43 AM
Peck, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but I think UB was saying that the Celtics' defense is the type of D that the 98-2000 Pacers' OFFENSE used to beat.

My first impression was the same as this, Hicks. But I can read it both ways now....Were the Pacers teams in question that great at defense? I thought they were a tough inside team that could score on even the Bulls defense, but I don't recall them being known as a great defensive team...This would lend to the statement being more about the Pacers old offense would destroy and humiliate the kind of defenses that the Celtics used the other night.