PDA

View Full Version : Ask the Pacers} Who would win a 3-point shootout between Sarunas and Peja?

Will Galen
03-03-2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/ask_the_pacers.html

Question for Sarunas Jasikevicius | March 3, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q. Who would win a 3-point shootout between you and Peja Stojakovic? How about a free-throw competition? (From David in Montreal, Canada)

A. I’d say that Peja would be the favorite, because he’s been in the All-Star shootouts a lot and has played more years in the NBA than me. So I’ll give him that. He’s more used to the 3-point line. But on one day, anything can happen. But I would kill him at free throws.
------------------------------------

Actually they could both lose to Croshere. All three are in the top nine free throw shooters in the NBA.

1 Steve Nash , PHX 211 228 .925
2 Peja Stojakovic , IND 139 151 .921
3 Ray Allen , SEA 223 245 .910
4 Chauncey Billups , DET 346 381 .908
5 Jerry Stackhouse , DAL 103 115 .896
6 Austin Croshere , IND 84 94 .894
7 Dirk Nowitzki , DAL 358 401 .893
7 Wally Szczerbiak , BOS 209 234 .893
9 Sarunas Jasikevicius , IND 98 110 .891

Slick Pinkham
03-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Peja's form is better, with a more compact stroke and consistent release, so I also think that he would win from the 3-point line.

From the FT line who knows. Austin's release is a little funny and it almost looks likes he puts some side-spin on it, but the results show that it works. I think Peja has the best free throw form too.

Lithfan
03-03-2006, 04:41 PM
To tell you the truth Sarunas has been awful from the line so far.
May be its because he is not familiar with the rims or something else, but he used to have full seasons with 95%FT. So I think he knows what he is talking about when he says he will kill Peja from the line.

Will Galen
03-03-2006, 04:48 PM
To tell you the truth Sarunas has been awful from the line so far.
May be its because he is not familiar with the rims or something else, but he used to have full seasons with 95%FT. So I think he knows what he is talking about when he says he will kill Peja from the line.

Shorter seasons in Europe would have something to do with it. Plus Players don't usually have their best free throw shooting season when they first play in the NBA.

Lithfan
03-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Shorter seasons in Europe would have something to do with it. Plus Players don't usually have their best free throw shooting season when they first play in the NBA.

Yeah.
But may be the next season.

I've seen a 30 min interview with Saras lately, provided by Julius Sour (you don't want a link its in Lithuanian). He really wants to succeed. Wants to be an allstar. So who knows?

At least he can participate in 3pt shootout. :)

Kestas
03-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Shorter seasons in Europe would have something to do with it.

hardly. physically the life in European basketball is not much easier than in NBA. in some respects - it's even harder.

Kestas
03-03-2006, 04:58 PM
At least he can participate in 3pt shootout. :)

in all fairness I would take Macijauskas over Saras any day. when in form he could easily compete during the all-star three-point shoot outs.. however, this "in form" thingie looks rather blured recently.. but who knows, Hornets did not trade him despite some interest from serious teams and despite his huge contract (in dollars per minute of court time ;))

Lithfan
03-03-2006, 05:10 PM
in all fairness I would take Macijauskas over Saras any day. when in form he could easily compete during the all-star three-point shoot outs.. however, this "in form" thingie looks rather blured recently.. but who knows, Hornets did not trade him despite some interest from serious teams and despite his huge contract (in dollars per minute of court time ;))

Did you see the interview with Macas? He looks like hell, unshaved and joking about himself being "homeless" saying he takes this season as a vacation, a trip around the US.

Sorry to highjack the thread Will, but this is really great player much better shooter than Saras. And he played total 100 minutes in Hornets. :mad:

Will Galen
03-03-2006, 05:34 PM
hardly. physically the life in European basketball is not much easier than in NBA. in some respects - it's even harder.

You missed the point. It's easier to hit 95% in less games.

Nathan - Maccabi Fan
03-03-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think the reason is games
Again, we are talking about percentage and not number of missed shots.

I guess there are quite a lot of reasons why he missed free throws/three pointers recently

But I am sure that when needed he'll make those free throws

Slick Pinkham
03-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Did you see the interview with Macas? He looks like hell, unshaved and joking about himself being "homeless" saying he takes this season as a vacation, a trip around the US.

Sorry to highjack the thread Will, but this is really great player much better shooter than Saras. And he played total 100 minutes in Hornets. :mad:

When he got in at the end of the last Hornets-Pacers game he looked out of shape to me-- definitely heavy. Was he always that way? That may be keeping him from getting an opportunity.

denyfizle
03-03-2006, 08:36 PM
i would pay money to watch Larry Bird, Reggie Miller, Runi and Peja in a 3 point shootout.

AirLithuania
03-03-2006, 09:20 PM
I've seen a 30 min interview with Saras lately, provided by Julius Sour (you don't want a link its in Lithuanian). He really wants to succeed. Wants to be an allstar.

Could you please provide the link, because I havent seen the interview. And if you by accident have the interview with MAcijauskas, could you provide that too...

Anthem
03-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Then why do European players require such an adjustment when coming to the NBA?

317Kim
03-03-2006, 11:34 PM
I think Peja would win since Runi is still slightly in a slump.

Hicks
03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
Then why do European players require such an adjustment when coming to the NBA?

That's pretty simple. Different rules, different game speed, longer 3-ball, and the players are bigger, faster, more atheletic, and most are more talented.

Slick Pinkham
03-03-2006, 11:52 PM
That hot Israeli chick he's engaged to is taking some energy out of Sarunas.

Eindar
03-04-2006, 02:48 AM
That's pretty simple. Different rules, different game speed, longer 3-ball, and the players are bigger, faster, more atheletic, and most are more talented.

And in the NBA you have to play 48 minutes of aggressive defense.

themind
03-04-2006, 04:36 AM
And in the NBA you have to play 48 minutes of aggressive defense.

:-o Dont' tell me about 48 minutes of aggressive defense... Usually defence starts in the end of the game... Or in the playoffs ;)

Kestas
03-04-2006, 02:38 PM
When he got in at the end of the last Hornets-Pacers game he looked out of shape to me-- definitely heavy. Was he always that way?

hmm.. he's one of the fastest guards in the World, for crying out loud!

was he always that way... I mean, come on! of course he never was that way! he was leading his teams for five or six years now. in the Hornets he's nobody. they hardly train (in European terms, especially when they can't go to the arena whenever they like, because that's an University arena), he does not play during the games - what shape do you expect him to be in? besides, I've read he spends a lot of time in the gym, working on his muscles (you know, desperation, the complex of being "weak"). I think he does not have to have any more muscles, but, obviously, that may be making him slower. I often refer to tennis players when it comes to muscle mass. some of the best players in the world were/are skiny as hell and still could/can play for three hours non-stop and be No 1s in the World.
anyways, Z benefited from long hours in the gym, maybe Macas will become even better as well.. it's hard to say anything about him now..

BlueNGold
03-04-2006, 05:28 PM
No comparison. Saras has a nice shot, particularly his runner...but Peja is on a different level from the 3pt line. Peja has to contend with the other team's best defender every night and still puts up 20ppg or so....and still shoots for a much higher pct. even facing that defense. Peja, unlike Saras, can be compared to the likes of Bird or Miller when it comes to 3pt shooting ability.

It is funny that Saras does not admit that much. Saras' percentages lag Peja's along with the fact Peja scores much more. Saras' response is Peja migh win "because he’s been in the All-Star shootouts a lot and has played more years in the NBA than me....He’s more used to the 3-point line.". What a crock. I assume Saras is joking. Then Sara says "I would kill him at free throws.". It's pretty clear Saras is joking here.