PDA

View Full Version : Conrad: What’s The Most Favorable Playoff Position?

Raskolnikov
03-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Q. I know this is a little pre-emptive but the playoff picture seems to be taking shape. Miami looks like the best team in the Southeast Division, then New Jersey or Philadelphia in the Atlantic, and Detroit looks like it will win the Central. If the playoff picture stayed the same, and since Detroit is so far ahead, it is likely that the Pacers would end up between the 4-6 seeds in the East. My question is, with the recent success against the New Jersey Nets and the way the Pacers match up with Philadelphia, what would be the best seed for the Pacers? (From Omry in Indianapolis)

A. Though a little more than one-third of the season remains, the playoff bracket in the East is indeed taking shape, at least at the top. Detroit will win the Central Division and cruise into the No. 1 seed. Miami has a firm grasp on the Southeast Division and the No. 2 seed. And the Nets have separated themselves from the 76ers, with a three-game lead in the Atlantic and a more favorable remaining schedule.

Cleveland is holding the fourth seed but the Cavs, for the second year in a row, are showing signs of wavering down the stretch. So it's not unrealistic for the Pacers, who trail the Cavs by just two games and are tied in the loss column, to target the No. 4 seed as a best-case scenario because it would bring homecourt advantage in the first round.

But they're hardly alone. Just 1½ games separate the fifth-place Pacers from the eighth-place 76ers, and it's safe to assume that pack will be shuffled a few times before the season ends. At the moment, though, the Pacers, Wizards, Bucks and 76ers are relatively safe in the bottom half of the bracket. Of the teams currently in lottery position, only Chicago is within striking distance of a playoff spot and the Bulls trail the 76ers by three games.

All would prefer to avoid the No. 8 seed and a first-round pairing with the Pistons. And Miami appears to be getting its act together, finally, making the Heat a formidable opening opponent for the No. 7 seed. The difference between the sixth and seventh seed could be fractional in the standings, but it's monumental in terms of the favorability of the matchup.

At No. 6, the Pacers would likely face the Atlantic winners, either the Nets or Sixers. It's not out of the realm of possibility they'd have homecourt advantage in that series, should they finish with the better record. Should they advance, they'd be in Miami's bracket for the second round and would avoid Detroit until the conference finals. There might be a little more glory in finishing fourth or even fifth but, as things stand now, sixth looks like the most attractive position in the lower half of the bracket.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

CableKC
03-01-2006, 01:56 PM
The 6th spot is the coveted spot for both the East and West Conferences with the current playoff structure to play either the Nets or the Sixers.

If attainable....the 4th spot would be 2nd best ONLY if it means that we can play the Cavs in the 1st round as they are a horrible road team. I don't want to play the Wizards in the 1st round ( for whatever reason....we don't matchup with them real well ).

I don't like the 5th spot ( without home court advantage ) against any of the likely teams ( Cavs or the Wizards ) or the 7th spot against the Heat.

The only way that I would want the 8th spot is if we are 90% healthy against the Pistons.

FrenchConnection
03-01-2006, 02:27 PM
Q. I know this is a little pre-emptive but the playoff picture seems to be taking shape. Miami looks like the best team in the Southeast Division, then New Jersey or Philadelphia in the Atlantic, and Detroit looks like it will win the Central. If the playoff picture stayed the same, and since Detroit is so far ahead, it is likely that the Pacers would end up between the 4-6 seeds in the East. My question is, with the recent success against the New Jersey Nets and the way the Pacers match up with Philadelphia, what would be the best seed for the Pacers? (From Omry in Indianapolis)

A. Though a little more than one-third of the season remains, the playoff bracket in the East is indeed taking shape, at least at the top. Detroit will win the Central Division and cruise into the No. 1 seed. Miami has a firm grasp on the Southeast Division and the No. 2 seed. And the Nets have separated themselves from the 76ers, with a three-game lead in the Atlantic and a more favorable remaining schedule.

Cleveland is holding the fourth seed but the Cavs, for the second year in a row, are showing signs of wavering down the stretch. So it's not unrealistic for the Pacers, who trail the Cavs by just two games and are tied in the loss column, to target the No. 4 seed as a best-case scenario because it would bring homecourt advantage in the first round.

But they're hardly alone. Just 1½ games separate the fifth-place Pacers from the eighth-place 76ers, and it's safe to assume that pack will be shuffled a few times before the season ends. At the moment, though, the Pacers, Wizards, Bucks and 76ers are relatively safe in the bottom half of the bracket. Of the teams currently in lottery position, only Chicago is within striking distance of a playoff spot and the Bulls trail the 76ers by three games.

All would prefer to avoid the No. 8 seed and a first-round pairing with the Pistons. And Miami appears to be getting its act together, finally, making the Heat a formidable opening opponent for the No. 7 seed. The difference between the sixth and seventh seed could be fractional in the standings, but it's monumental in terms of the favorability of the matchup.

At No. 6, the Pacers would likely face the Atlantic winners, either the Nets or Sixers. It's not out of the realm of possibility they'd have homecourt advantage in that series, should they finish with the better record. Should they advance, they'd be in Miami's bracket for the second round and would avoid Detroit until the conference finals. There might be a little more glory in finishing fourth or even fifth but, as things stand now, sixth looks like the most attractive position in the lower half of the bracket.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

All except JO (sorry, had to say it).

Los Angeles
03-01-2006, 03:58 PM
The 6th spot is the coveted spot for both the East and West Conferences with the current playoff structure to play either the Nets or the Sixers.

If attainable....the 4th spot would be 2nd best ONLY if it means that we can play the Cavs in the 1st round as they are a horrible road team. I don't want to play the Wizards in the 1st round ( for whatever reason....we don't matchup with them real well ).

I don't like the 5th spot ( without home court advantage ) against any of the likely teams ( Cavs or the Wizards ) or the 7th spot against the Heat.

The only way that I would want the 8th spot is if we are 90% healthy against the Pistons.
We don't want the sixers no matter what. They always find a way to beat us.

J_2_Da_IzzO
03-01-2006, 04:02 PM
All except JO (sorry, had to say it).

All except JO and me.

piksi
03-01-2006, 04:17 PM
well, at least hawks won't make it

Slick Pinkham
03-01-2006, 04:26 PM
I want to win the East, and at some point that will mean beating Detroit. I don't care what round. I'd just like home court advantage in the 1st round.

If somebody besides Detroit beats us, then this is a failed season. Just win all you can and get as much of a home court advantage as you can. I guess that means I want a #4 seed.

Raskolnikov
03-01-2006, 04:48 PM
I want to win the East, and at some point that will mean beating Detroit. I don't care what round. I'd just like home court advantage in the 1st round.

If somebody besides Detroit beats us, then this is a failed season. Just win all you can and get as much of a home court advantage as you can. I guess that means I want a #4 seed.
I didn't know it yet before I read your post, but I feel exactly the same way.

Raskolnikov
03-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Time to bring back that great Jim More quote:

"Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game!"
That should be the player's demeanour but us fans can talk about it, can't we?

Anthem
03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
After that horrible losing streak, I can't believe we're still in 5th.

rexnom
03-01-2006, 07:28 PM
After that horrible losing streak, I can't believe we're still in 5th.

Welcome to the Eastern Conference.