PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: 22 members of Team USA announced

Aw Heck
02-28-2006, 10:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2349009

Josh Howard, Luke Ridnour, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis and Brad Miller are among those going to training camp with Team USA. Lamar Odom and Allen Iverson are not.

ESPN.com has learned the identities of the 22 NBA players on the preliminary roster for the U.S. national team, whose director, Jerry Colangelo, will make the news public Sunday.

The list includes All-Stars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Gilbert Arenas, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, but it does not include two players -- Iverson and Odom -- who were members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and had expressed strong interest in playing again for USA Basketball.

Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

Colangelo has not revealed all the players he has invited, but sources around the NBA helped ESPN.com compile the following list of players who have been asked to report to training camp in Las Vegas in mid-July, and who are expected to attend.

The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.

In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

Three young players will be added to bring the training camp roster up to 25, with Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, Duke's J.J. Redick and Indianapolis high school star Greg Oden currently the leading candidates to get those spots.

The list of invitees includes seven of the NBA's eight leading scorers (Iverson is the exception) and two of the top three rebounders (the exception is Ben Wallace, who was interviewed by Colangelo but did not want to play.)

Billups will attend training camp but is not expected to compete at the 2006 World Championship in Japan because his wife, Piper, is due to give birth to their third child in late July or early August. Also, Redd is not expected to play in Japan, either, because of his wedding plans.

The Americans plan to take 15 players to Japan (including three who would be inactive for the Worlds). By removing Redick, Morrison, Oden, Billups and Redd from the equation, there would be 20 players vying for 12 active roster spots.

Taking an educated guess, Bryant, James, Wade, Bosh and Marion would seem to be virtual locks for Japan, along with Miller (the only true center) and Arenas and Paul (the top two point guards). Brand and Dwight Howard would seem to have the edge for spots 9-10 because of the team's need for size (we're keeping Stoudemire out of that group because he is recovering from knee surgery), which would leave Pierce, Anthony, Battier, Bowen, Josh Howard, Jamison, Johnson, Lewis and Ridnour competing for the final two spots on the active roster. Colangelo has said he would like to include at least one defense-minded role player on the active roster, and it would appear Bowen, Josh Howard and Battier will vie for that role.

Those players who do not go to Japan will remain on the larger national team roster through the 2008 Olympics. If the U.S. team does not win the World Championship, the team will regroup in 2007 for an Olympic qualifying tournament in the Americas zone.

The U.S. team will be coached by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who will be assisted by Phoenix Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni, the Portland Trail Blazers' Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse University.

The World Championship begins Aug. 19, with the Americans in a preliminary round group in Sapporo, Japan, that includes China, Slovenia, Puerto Rico, Italy and Senegal. The U.S. team is planning a pre-tournament trip to South Korea and China to play exhibition games.

Training camp is scheduled to take place July 18-25 before the team takes a five-day break. It will then reconvene for an exhibition game in Las Vegas, likely against Puerto Rico, before the team plane leaves for China on Aug. 4 with 15 players aboard.

Frank Slade
02-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Luke Ridnour IN

AI OUT

:crazy:

D-BONE
02-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Shaq doesn't deserve a standing invite. Commit or get out. I like the idea of more people than true spots and also really like the concept of a role player type. In fact, I say let's include a few role player types. There's enough star power already. Battier, Howard, Ridnour, and Bowen can all go on as far as I'm concerned. I went to the World Championships when it was here a few years back and watching our one-on-one, uninterested, super-star laden squad was an absolute fiasco.

Young
02-28-2006, 10:27 PM
That is a slap in the face to Iverson that he doesn't have a spot after 2004, he showed the most passion and played well IMO for team USA. Also, he really WANTS to represent our country. Why the heck isn't he invited again??? That is just a bunch of bull ****. I know he will be 33 years old but Reggie was 38 or so and he played, so why the hell not AI?

Suaveness
02-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Oden! Oden!

Slick Pinkham
02-28-2006, 10:47 PM
so why the hell not AI?

They plan to have PRACTICE.

GO!!!!!
02-28-2006, 10:58 PM
Wade, Areana's, Howard J, Howard D, Stoudamire

what a line up:champions :drooling:

Hoop
02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
AI got screwed, he was one of the best players in the last Olympics. I didn't like AI early in his career, but he won me over. The little guy has heart and plays hard every night, even if he doesn't like to practice.

skyfire
02-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Seems like sensible reasoning for the first 10 @ Japan:

PG: Paul, Arenas
SG: Kobe, Wade
SF: LeBron, Marion
PF: Bosh, Brand
C: Miller, Howard

My picks for 11th and 12th would be Howard and Redd.

Kstat
03-01-2006, 12:05 AM
I think Redd's automatic.

Fireball Kid
03-01-2006, 12:07 AM
WOW is all I gotta say.

18to88
03-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I think its a shame they don't just have the Detroit Pistons represent the US. They ARE US Basketball. Model citizens and they ball out of control.

skyfire
03-01-2006, 12:18 AM
I think Redd's automatic.

yea he is the best shooter in the squad. I cant see them making the same mistake twice.

There are alot of swingmen in contention for those last couple of spots. Surely they could have put a couple more pass first PGs and real Centers in the squad.

Does anyone know if Heinrich got invited? He is streaks ahead of Ridnour.

Fool
03-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Redd is out (says the article) because of his wedding.

I agree with the Iverson arguments so far and while I do think its a bit of an insult to him, I also think it shows how serious they are taking this "making a team" thing (IMO, Wade has his spot). Worse yet is inviting Anthony but not AI. Anthony is playing great this year (and this might be my Piston fandom talking) but he pouted through the entire Olympics last time. If he makes the roster then I guess I'm glad they have Japan to see if he'll play premadonna even in the midst of all that talent and what's expected to be a more focused team.

As for picks, I'd also take Bowen at 11, Howard at 12 and would like to see Lewis, Peirce, and Ridinour in the inactive spots.

Kstat
03-01-2006, 12:51 AM
Redd's in the pool, so he'll probably play in 2008.

Fool
03-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Oh, definately. I was just talking Japan.

Peck
03-01-2006, 01:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2349009

Josh Howard, Luke Ridnour, Shane Battier, Rashard Lewis and Brad Miller are among those going to training camp with Team USA. Lamar Odom and Allen Iverson are not.

ESPN.com has learned the identities of the 22 NBA players on the preliminary roster for the U.S. national team, whose director, Jerry Colangelo, will make the news public Sunday.

The list includes All-Stars Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Gilbert Arenas, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Chauncey Billups and Paul Pierce, but it does not include two players -- Iverson and Odom -- who were members of the 2004 U.S. Olympic team and had expressed strong interest in playing again for USA Basketball.

Among those who declined to play were Kevin Garnett, Jermaine O'Neal, Vince Carter, Ray Allen, Jason Kidd, Tracy McGrady, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

Colangelo has not revealed all the players he has invited, but sources around the NBA helped ESPN.com compile the following list of players who have been asked to report to training camp in Las Vegas in mid-July, and who are expected to attend.

The entire roster includes Carmelo Anthony, Gilbert Arenas, Battier, Billups, Bosh, Bruce Bowen, Elton Brand, Bryant, Dwight Howard, Josh Howard, James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Shawn Marion, Brad Miller, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce, Redd, Ridnour, Amare Stoudemire and Wade.

In addition, Shaquille O'Neal has a standing invitation to join.

Three young players will be added to bring the training camp roster up to 25, with Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, Duke's J.J. Redick and Indianapolis high school star Greg Oden currently the leading candidates to get those spots.

The list of invitees includes seven of the NBA's eight leading scorers (Iverson is the exception) and two of the top three rebounders (the exception is Ben Wallace, who was interviewed by Colangelo but did not want to play.)

Billups will attend training camp but is not expected to compete at the 2006 World Championship in Japan because his wife, Piper, is due to give birth to their third child in late July or early August. Also, Redd is not expected to play in Japan, either, because of his wedding plans.

The Americans plan to take 15 players to Japan (including three who would be inactive for the Worlds). By removing Redick, Morrison, Oden, Billups and Redd from the equation, there would be 20 players vying for 12 active roster spots.

Taking an educated guess, Bryant, James, Wade, Bosh and Marion would seem to be virtual locks for Japan, along with Miller (the only true center) and Arenas and Paul (the top two point guards). Brand and Dwight Howard would seem to have the edge for spots 9-10 because of the team's need for size (we're keeping Stoudemire out of that group because he is recovering from knee surgery), which would leave Pierce, Anthony, Battier, Bowen, Josh Howard, Jamison, Johnson, Lewis and Ridnour competing for the final two spots on the active roster. Colangelo has said he would like to include at least one defense-minded role player on the active roster, and it would appear Bowen, Josh Howard and Battier will vie for that role.

Those players who do not go to Japan will remain on the larger national team roster through the 2008 Olympics. If the U.S. team does not win the World Championship, the team will regroup in 2007 for an Olympic qualifying tournament in the Americas zone.

The U.S. team will be coached by Duke's Mike Krzyzewski, who will be assisted by Phoenix Suns head coach Mike D'Antoni, the Portland Trail Blazers' Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse University.

The World Championship begins Aug. 19, with the Americans in a preliminary round group in Sapporo, Japan, that includes China, Slovenia, Puerto Rico, Italy and Senegal. The U.S. team is planning a pre-tournament trip to South Korea and China to play exhibition games.

Training camp is scheduled to take place July 18-25 before the team takes a five-day break. It will then reconvene for an exhibition game in Las Vegas, likely against Puerto Rico, before the team plane leaves for China on Aug. 4 with 15 players aboard.

:scream: :scream: :scream: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :censored:

Kstat
03-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Brad's the ideal international center. It's not as if any of the euro centers outside of gasol have any post game...

Kestas
03-01-2006, 03:48 AM
It's not as if any of the euro centers outside of gasol have any post game...

as always, some very good insights from you!

Kstat
03-01-2006, 03:58 AM
as always, some very good insights from you!

So prove me wrong. Name one euro big man outside of gasol that plays with his back to the basket in the paint.

And I say that loosely, because Gasol doesnt even do that often.

Illgauskus is probably as close as you can get, and he's as soft as charmin tissue.

themind
03-01-2006, 07:07 AM
Colangelo should better make Howard, Brand and Bosh locks in the squad, because there are many nice big men outside US (Scola, Oberto, Bogut, Nowitzki, Lavrinovic brothers, Songaila, Ming, Krstic, Radmanovic, Brezec, Nesterovic, Gasol, Vasquez, Okur) that usually play better in international competition than their club teams. Lithuanian and Spain bigs should give you most trouble to defend ;)

P.S. Having no great outside shooters (Redd won't play in Japan) will alow US bigs to be doubled or tripled :D

Fool
03-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Its not like the US team is built around bigs, but not having Redd and Billups in Japan is a bit of a bad coincidence (Redd shoots 39% from three, Billups 38%). However, if the plan of international teams is to double and triple guys like Bosh, Howard, and Miller I wouldn't worry about Lewis, Arenas, Kobe, Johnson, or Bowen (from the corner) being able to hit an outside jumper. This isn't like the 04 team who's best shooter was Richard Jefferson.

What's funny is that if the guys on the team are well known, the team gets criticized for being too "star driven" while if they aren't well known for certain things the team gets criticized for not being good enough. Meanwhile those criticizing the team get to bring up guys like Rasho and Kristic as though they should strike fear in the hearts of the US team (not that they are bad players or anything). Its a nice little catch 22.

Slick Pinkham
03-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I would bias the team toward well-under-30 and even under-25 guys if there is a close call. Sorry Pierce. That way we build chemistry for 2008 and then in 2010 when we put a team together again there is a core of talent that has already played together in international competition, hopefully with success.

I have no problem with coach K and his staff basing selection from this point onward using the criteria of picking players who will listen to instructions and swallow personal ego. We don't need 10 coaches on the floor.

Slick Pinkham
03-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Ridnour on the list is more than a little goofy.

Fool
03-01-2006, 09:03 AM
Ridnour's shown he can distribute the ball to multiple players on the floor who only want to shoot. That's my impression of why he's in (and Billups not being there for Japan).

Slick Pinkham
03-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Ridnour's shown he can distribute the ball to multiple players on the floor who only want to shoot. That's my impression of why he's in (and Billups not being there for Japan).

I think Hinrich could do that more, with better defense.

Fool
03-01-2006, 09:15 AM
And shoot the 3 better, I'd agree Hinrich is a better choice but its the 3rd PG role at best.

Kegboy
03-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I've never understood why Brad hasn't made these teams before. He was the star of the lockout WBC team. As K stated, his game is perfectly suited for the international game.

And, just to beat a long dead horse into the ground once again, I'm insulted that Paul Pierce was even invited. :loser2:

Mordecaii
03-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant, Michael Redd, Chauncey Billups, Rashard Lewis, Bruce Bowen (from the corner), Joe Johnson, and Shawn Marion can all shoot the 3 well enough to keep the bigs from being doubled. All of the above except for Bowen can also cut inside well. I think we have the perimeter covered exceptionally well, and I think players like Dwight Howard, Shawn Marion, and Shane Battier (and Amare Stoudamire if he goes) can crash the boards and score easy points inside, they don't need to make all kinds of post moves just to score. I like the way this team is put together.

themind
03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
A few points:
Team looks to be perfect for a fast paced offense, but will it be the answer?
Pierce and Bryant are really good from outside, but both can spoil team chemistry. As I remember in the past the biggest problem was keeping good chemistry and work ethic.
The biggest asset of this NT is new coaching staff ;)

Kstat
03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Pierce and Kobe won't see the floor together, so it won't matter.

Kobe will be the #1 option, without question. Nobody will have to massage his ego any.

rexnom
03-01-2006, 04:31 PM
I like this prelim team...looks like they made some nice decisions...is there any doubt that a well selected team here is going to whup butt in the future? I'm extremely confident.