PDA

View Full Version : Pollard getting a shot

Hicks
02-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Pollard getting a shot

Former KU center makes the most of his chance with Indiana

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

<!-- begin body-content --> INDIANAPOLIS — Believe it or not, Indiana Pacers center Scot Pollard isn’t trying to make a statement with those two-tiered ponytails that bob from his head.
The NBA fashion police made him do it.

When NBA vice president of operations Stu Jackson prohibited Pollard, a former Kansas Jayhawk, from wearing his headband because it was wider than specifications, Pollard, known for his unusual hairstyles, painted fingernails and tattoos, had to improvise.

“In my opinion, I have a bigger head than most people,” Pollard said, “so I should wear a bigger headband …It was NBA-issued and had the logo; it wasn’t like I bought myself a headband.
“Now I’ve got to wear a dumb ponytail to keep the hair out of my face. I’m not trying to set any style trends.”

Pollard’s look on the court has coincided with an increased role with the Pacers. Pollard, a backup player for most of his eight-year career, made his 10th consecutive start in Sunday night’s 101-91 win against New Jersey.
The Pacers had won six of the previous nine games started by Pollard, and he produced double figures in rebounding in four of those games, including 14 and 11 against Detroit and 16 against Portland.

His opportunity was created by injuries to All-Star forward Jermaine O’Neal, who is expected to miss eight weeks because of a groin tear suffered Jan. 24; and Austin Croshere, who has missed the last 10 games because of a concussion.
“It’s been a combination of getting the opportunity and being healthy when the opportunity was there,” Pollard said Friday night after the Pacers’ overtime loss to Atlanta. “Sometimes the opportunity was there, and I wasn’t healthy enough to take advantage.”

Now that he’s recovered from the back problems that hampered him during the last two years, Pollard is an integral part of the lineup for Indiana, which is 28-25 after Sunday’s game, the start of seven of eight games on the road. “Scot’s played very well,” Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said. “He’s a bit of an underrated player at both ends of the court. He’s one of the top rebounders in basketball on a per-minute basis if you look at his numbers over the years. When he’s had opportunities to play here on a consistent basis, he’s been very steady and very effective. In many respects, we’re not that surprised by his good play.”

Pollard is averaging just 4.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, but his contributions can’t be measured by statistics. Pollard, 6-11 and 265 pounds, makes his impact by doing all the dirty work without the ball. He’s most effective setting bone-jarring screens, blocking out under the boards, playing tenacious defense and hustling after loose balls. Any points he scores are a bonus.

“That’s what I do,” Pollard said. “I get other guys open, and I like playing a free-flowing game. That’s how I grew up playing in high school, college, and we’ve been playing that way, and that’s as big a key as me being healthy.”
Pollard also has benefited from being reunited with former Sacramento teammate Peja Stojakovic, who was acquired in a trade for troubled Ron Artest in late January.

“That’s helped me get more minutes,” Pollard said. “It’s forced coach to open up the offense a little bit, because that’s the way Peja knows how to play. It’s been reminiscent of the old days in Sacramento, where it was an open offense and something I’m more comfortable doing as opposed to the half-court offense we had been running.
“It’s been nice to put some wins together. It’s been fun, because we’ve been playing the right way, playing team basketball and having a good time with it.”

While it would appear Pollard’s playing time would diminish once Croshere and O’Neal return, and 6-11 Jeff Foster could move from forward to center, Carlisle won’t rule out Pollard continuing to play significant minutes. The Pacers, who seem to have daily issues even without Artest, played Friday without center David Harrison, who was suspended for a game for directing obscenities toward fans the night before at Detroit.

“Around here, we’ve learned to go day-to-day,” Carlisle said. “Right now, things seem to be pretty good with Scot, so he’s playing a lot and very effectively”

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13970067.htm

Frank Slade
02-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Who knew ? The Power is in the Pony Tail !!

I remember Jax saying that Pollard liked wearing the Thicker Headbands and that the Team had to all wear the same type of Headbands as well.

Stryder
02-28-2006, 08:44 PM
So, the nba issued him a headband, and then told him he couldn't wear it?

Geeze.

I love Scot Pollard. He is easily my favorite Pacer.

GO!!!!!
02-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Must be a safety concern

Pollard is great, he's doing a great job filling the B52's Shoes

Just loved that interview with Peja

he's having fun, what more do ya want..

Pacesetter
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
On top of being a good player, he's also been good about taking his lumps. What most people don't see, and maybe I read into it too much, but I think the pain in his back was somewhat related to the pain in his heart for being traded to Indiana. I think the move to Indiana about made him hang it up, but he stuck to his profession, and it's starting to pay dividends again. JMO.

Who knows maybe he can resign with us and finish his career here. He's so important especially in a free flowing offense.

8.9_seconds
02-28-2006, 11:50 PM
Scotty P, I love you man!!

Frostwolf
03-01-2006, 05:43 AM
Why can't Pollard start with JO?

D-BONE
03-01-2006, 06:26 AM
As long as he's healthy and his play continues solid, then Pollard should continue to start. The problem when JO gets back is you've got five guys in the mix at the 4/5 spots and all of them currently playing are really contributing-Foster, Granger, Pollard, Harrison.Then what? Guess it will work itself out if there's an inury or whatever.