PDA

View Full Version : Garnett fined 5K, no suspension

Slick Pinkham
02-27-2006, 08:58 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/story.asp?sport=NBA&storyid=19965

slap on the wrist. Of course, he isn't a Pacer

NBA fines Timberwolves F Garnett $5,000

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Minnesota Timberwolves superstar Kevin Garnett was fined $5,000 on Monday for tossing a basketball into the stands.

The fine was announced by NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson.

In the third quarter of Sunday's 105-99 win over Memphis, Garnett was whistled for his fourth foul at the 7:47 mark.

Knowing that meant a prolonged seat on the bench, Garnett flipped the ball toward the seats along the baseline, hitting a middle-aged man in the face. The nine-time All-Star received a technical foul and an automatic ejection, only the fourth of his 10 year career, for throwing an object into the stands.

Before leaving, Garnett went over and apologized to the fan. Later in the period, the fan was taken from the Target Center on a stretcher - which appeared to be a bit much - and was booed by the crowd.

"I'd like to apologize once again to the fan and his family involved in yesterday's incident at the Target Center," Garnett said. "It was never my intent to injure anyone. I have the deepest respect for the fans of the NBA and the Minnesota Timberwolves."

Timberwolves forward Ricky Davis also was fined $5,000 on Monday for tossing a basketball into the stands in Friday's overtime loss to Denver.

SycamoreKen
02-27-2006, 09:15 PM
I read today that a guy sitting behind the guy that got hit said that he should get an Oscar for the act he put on. He flopped bigger than Vlade ever did. KG can afford it though. I'm just glad he isn't going to miss games for my fantasy team.

Shade
02-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Apparently, the penalty for throwing a ball into the stands is the same for intentionally trying to hurt another player.

The NBA is f#cked up.

GO!!!!!
02-27-2006, 09:41 PM
I agree, the nba establishment is KG's last worry, from what i read that the guy diden't even accept KG's apolgie means he's going for some seruis change, on the other hand, if the US judical system has any brains they throw it out as Kg tryed to make it right..

Here's hoping commen sence prevails

Will Galen
02-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I agree, the nba establishment is KG's last worry, from what i read that the guy diden't even accept KG's apolgie means he's going for some seruis change, on the other hand, if the US judical system has any brains they throw it out as Kg tryed to make it right..

Here's hoping commen sence prevails

Cents probably will.

Jon Theodore
02-27-2006, 10:49 PM
On a stretcher is so hilarious.

Fool
02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm sure KG will just sell a couple of the 14 plasmas he bought FOR HIS DOGS TO WATCH to pay a settlement out of court. The fan is ridiculous but I'm not worried about KG on this one.

Moses
02-27-2006, 11:12 PM
Wow..Throwing a ball into the stands is the same as gashing another players head open with a flagrant foul. You have got to be kidding me.

Young
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
I like KG and all but if you throw a ball into the stands you damn well better be suspended atleast 3 games or so. These players make so much freaking money that five thousand isn't much to pay. What a freaking joke.

Fool
02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Looking back, perhaps that wasn't directed at me. NM.

Slick Pinkham
02-27-2006, 11:23 PM
NBA vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson cited some mitigating factors in deciding to give both KG and Rasheed a mere slap on the wrist. His crack research staff uncovered the fact that neither has any connection to the Pacers organization whatsoever. Otherwise the hammer would have come down.

RWB
02-28-2006, 09:34 AM
I read today that a guy sitting behind the guy that got hit said that he should get an Oscar for the act he put on. He flopped bigger than Vlade ever did. KG can afford it though. I'm just glad he isn't going to miss games for my fantasy team.

And KG can afford a lawyer to represent him for being stupid enough to toss a ball into the crowd.

beast23
02-28-2006, 10:25 AM
Unfortunately, a lot of civil cases are not ruled by common sense and "justice".

They are decided by the lawyers representing the defendent much like the actuarial analysis used in the insurance business. It's all probability of winning and recouping your costs versus projected expenses, the time involved and the probability of losting.

In other words, offer the guy a couple of season tickets for next season and walk away. Evenif it looks like he isn't hurt. It would go a long way in the PR department for Garnett, and it wouldn't tie up anybody's time. He can certainly afford it.

NaptownBound
02-28-2006, 12:00 PM
I like KG and all but if you throw a ball into the stands you damn well better be suspended atleast 3 games or so. These players make so much freaking money that five thousand isn't much to pay. What a freaking joke.

naw, the joke is that you really think he should be suspended 3 games for tossing the ball at most three rows deep into the stands. it the speed of a slow pitch softball, and you want him gone for three games, you can't be serious. he deserves only a slap on the wrist... he had no malice at all.

DisplacedKnick
02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
naw, the joke is that you really think he should be suspended 3 games for tossing the ball at most three rows deep into the stands. it the speed of a slow pitch softball, and you want him gone for three games, you can't be serious. he deserves only a slap on the wrist... he had no malice at all.

His first season with the Pacers Artest kicked a ball about 50 rows into the stands and he didn't get suspended - in fact he didn't even get tossed from the game though Isiah sat him the 2nd half. There was a much greater chance of that doing damage than what KG did.

But of course Pacer fans won't care about that because they want to break out the old, "The league just likes to pick on the Pacers" at every opportunity.

RWB
02-28-2006, 03:19 PM
But of course Pacer fans won't care about that because they want to break out the old, "The league just likes to pick on the Pacers" at every opportunity.

Kind of a generalization there don't you think, Rim?

Since86
02-28-2006, 03:26 PM
His first season with the Pacers Artest kicked a ball about 50 rows into the stands and he didn't get suspended - in fact he didn't even get tossed from the game though Isiah sat him the 2nd half. There was a much greater chance of that doing damage than what KG did.

A ball traveling 50 rows takes how long to get there, with how many people actually seeing it happen?

A ball traveling 15ft or so in a different direction from which the player was looking (KGs excuse) takes how long?

The time differential and that availability of seeing the ball coming in your direction decreases the chance of anything happening. Fans would try to be the one to catch the ball, not let it hit them square in the nose.

If a player gets a game for words, he should atleast get a game for throwing a ball. It doesn't make ANY sense at all.

DisplacedKnick
02-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Kind of a generalization there don't you think, Rim?

Guess you haven't been reading this thread.

RWB
02-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Problem solved here folks, let the fans throw stuff on the court. Whoops that's already been done. (And yes it's happened in Indy as well. :D )

RWB
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Guess you haven't been reading this thread.
Yep, must have missed it other than these simple quotes by PT....slap on the wrist. Of course, he isn't a Pacer.

And... His crack research staff uncovered the fact that neither has any connection to the Pacers organization whatsoever.

Where are the others that specifically say the PAcers got screwed in this thread?

NaptownBound
02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
A ball traveling 50 rows takes how long to get there, with how many people actually seeing it happen?

A ball traveling 15ft or so in a different direction from which the player was looking (KGs excuse) takes how long?

The time differential and that availability of seeing the ball coming in your direction decreases the chance of anything happening. Fans would try to be the one to catch the ball, not let it hit them square in the nose.

If a player gets a game for words, he should atleast get a game for throwing a ball. It doesn't make ANY sense at all.

Why the scientific explanation? It comes down to this. Stu Jackson said he took into account mitigating circumstances when determining the verdict. One could assume that intent would be a mitigating circumstance. KG's intent was not to harm any fan. He threw the ball and turned his back while the ball was in the air. Harrison's intent was to cuss out the fans in Detroit.

Therefore, KG doesn't miss time and Harrison does. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Since86
02-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Why the scientific explanation? It comes down to this. Stu Jackson said he took into account mitigating circumstances when determining the verdict. One could assume that intent would be a mitigating circumstance. KG's intent was not to harm any fan. He threw the ball and turned his back while the ball was in the air. Harrison's intent was to cuss out the fans in Detroit.

Therefore, KG doesn't miss time and Harrison does. I don't see anything wrong with this.

There's policy now about player/fan relations.

You don't think HITTING a fan, whether it was intentional or not, is good for the league do you?

Antonio was fined more, and suspended and he only entered the stands to make sure his crazy wife didn't do anything, or get anything done to her.

There was NO physical confrontation there, but a stiffer penalty.

I have no problem with a small fine. I do have a problem with fines/suspensions changing everytime. You either dedicate yourself to showing the fans that they're #1 and have no worries about that anything physical or verbal happens to them while they're in the arena, or you don't

The NBA is "flip-flopping" all over the place, and it's sickening.

Anthem
02-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Of course, it also wasn't broadcast on TV, and there wasn't a fan getting ready to sue over it.

DisplacedKnick
02-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Of course, it also wasn't broadcast on TV, and there wasn't a fan getting ready to sue over it.

I saw it - on TV.

Slick Pinkham
02-28-2006, 05:13 PM
Of course suspensions have gone way up since the brawl. Players went into the stands in the past without a suspension.

I think that we all saw David Harrison drop the F-bomb at the fan in Detroit on TV. Not one person I'm aware of ever even brought up the possibility of a suspension for that. To my knowledge, no player in league history has ever been suspending for cursing at a fan.

In marked contrast, right after Rasheed's incident and right after Garnett's incident we were debating whether there would be a suspension and for how long. Most of the Pistons fans thought the chances were over 50-50 that Rasheed would get suspended.

i think that David Harrison got a much bigger punishment for an infraction that was no more serious.

Was it because he was a Pacer, or a rookie, or did it in Detroit? Maybe a combination. But the case can be made that stars like Rasheed and KG will get a break with the league office over a non-star like David.

Eindar
02-28-2006, 05:30 PM
I think this fine is about right. It shows that the league isn't happy about what happened, but realizes it was an accident. You don't want to set a precedent of fining guy 50 grand for accidentally making contact with a fan. Otherwise, you could actually see players refuse to go out of bounds after balls for fear of accidentally "hurting" a fan and getting suspended for 3 games or something.

Actually, come to think of it, I haven't seen as many players go into the stands after a ball since the brawl....this would be a great research project!

aceace
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Here's hoping commen sence prevailsIts why we no longer have the best court system in the world, its one of many reasons why I am no longer proud to be an American. So many people now days will do anything to sue someone and get that easy check. I was in a minor accident, no damage to my truck at all. About 500 to the other guys and of course he said he had contusions from a 5mph accident. Of course insurance just pays people off now days, and thats what will happen with KG and the target center. The same with AD's wife and the Chicago incident. Of course that jerk backed down later on. There will always be ambulance chasing lawyers and someone always looking for an easy way to get out of debt.

GO!!!!!
02-28-2006, 09:07 PM
It all floats back to that one fatefull day at a certain fast food outlet when a lady patron ordered a cup of coffee and proceded to spill the cover on herself and sue this certin chain for unspecified damages as the lady had burnt herself as the coffee was to hot and not labeled as such

What has the world become.

I dinked a car in the carpark last year and waited half an hour till the owner emerged and i settled it and agreed to pay for the damages, thats how it should be done everytime, a free jersey for the incovince a photo, what ever happend to true fans.

what a world and it's not just America any more

GO!!!!!
02-28-2006, 09:27 PM
That was the McDonalds case, and she lost her case...

I know what chain it was and I'm sure everyone else knows, and it's irrelevant wether she won or not, it set a precedent for law suits

Anthem
02-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I saw it - on TV.
Fine. I know nothing. I'm a moron. Happy? :D

Since86
03-01-2006, 11:02 AM
i think that David Harrison got a much bigger punishment for an infraction that was no more serious.

Was it because he was a Pacer, or a rookie, or did it in Detroit? Maybe a combination. But the case can be made that stars like Rasheed and KG will get a break with the league office over a non-star like David.

Just because TJ Ford was deemed a "soph" when it's his third actual year, doesn't mean you get to demote Hulk to rookie status.:)

Slick Pinkham
03-01-2006, 11:27 AM
:blush:

OK, not a rookie.

someone the refs don't know well yet.

Fool
03-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Thats just plain sad...

Not as sad as thousands dying from radiation poisoning or mercury poisoning because they can't prove anything after the company burns all their files. Or the woman who can't get her "husband" sent to jail because she's too afraid he'll kill her (both areas in which American law has improved and is probably leading the world). The American judicial system has problems but getting things like these right is worth a little overhead from frivolace lawsuits (though of course those are a real problem).

Fool
03-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Ah, you are right. I didn't recognize the significance of the bolding. Sorry about that.