PDA

View Full Version : LA Daily}Phil says Knicks may now go after KG or JO

Frank Slade
02-27-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_3550688

To the point: By the time Lakers coach Phil Jackson tuned in Friday to watch Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis play their first game together, the Knicks were down 20-4 to New Jersey. Things didn't get much better Saturday as New York was crushed 110-89 by Washington. Yet Jackson said after Saturday's practice he liked the acquisition of Francis, owed $49 million through 2008-09.

"If trading comes along next summer, he's a guy that they could throw in a trade," Jackson said. "They could make things happen. They could trade Marbury if they want. They could make a choice. They could do what they want to do."

Jackson mentioned All-Stars Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal as two players the Knicks might now be able to acquire. He was asked about not seeing Marbury and Francis together past this season.
"They'll try it," Jackson said. "I'm sure they're going to experiment with it. They're having an experimental year and they'll try and see if they can blend something. If it doesn't work, then they have an option of doing a lot of things in the offseason."

rel
02-27-2006, 04:20 PM
unless its Frye and some first rounders...

...NO...

Will Galen
02-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Can you imagine Bird and Isiah working out a trade? I can't! Both would demand to much from the other.

And other than Frye who would Bird want?

Nope, if it were possible I would guarantee Bird and Isiah wouldn't do a trade unless it was a no brainer for both teams. What that scenario would be is anyone's guess.

FrenchConnection
02-27-2006, 04:28 PM
Even with Frye, that would not be a good trade for the Pacers. JO is already better then Frye will ever be, and JO is actually still getting better as all good players continue to do throughout their careers. The only young players that are in JOs league at his position are Bosh and D. Howard.

Pacesetter
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Jackson ought to concentrate most of his zen on his team, they could use some more of it, especially after the heartbreaking loss to Boston at home!

CableKC
02-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Here's the thing.....the only way to trade JONeal to the Knicks is if (A) Bird / Walsh decide its time to blow up the entire roster and rebuild around someone else and (B) in doing so...if he thinks that a starting price of Frye and the rest of the players from the Knicks roster would be good enough to build around.

With the way that Walsh was with Artest.......Frye would minimally be the starting price......but beyond him....there is literally nobody on the Knicks that the Pacers would need....UNLESS Bird/Walsh were in love with Marbury ( not Francis ). If there are no pieces that interest Bird/Walsh....then the only other way that it would happen is if Marbury or Francis went to a 3rd team, with us getting back a player that we want and then sending JONeal to NY. Honestly....I don't see Marbury fetching the type of player that we would need to rebuild around....unless it was a top 20 player AND a 1st round draft pick with Frye.

Either way.....I still see that as unlikely as I don't think that Walsh would voluntarily send an impact player like JONeal ( injuries and all ) to a Eastern Conference Rival.

BTW.....I could see anything like this happening when JONeal is up for ( or close to ) his Free Agency year.....sometime after the 2008-2009 season. JONeal is going to want a 4-5 year long term contract by the time his contract is up in 2009-2010 season and I bet that the Pacers wouldn't want to resign him for that long.

DisplacedKnick
02-27-2006, 04:44 PM
The wild NY media speculation (or maybe not so wild - maybe just the idea's crazy) is that Isiah's grabbing all these pieces to make a play at KG after the season. The equivalent of a Hail Mary IMO.

I don't see it happening. Of course I didn't see the Marbury-Francis backcourt but I should just give up on the thought that Isiah has any kind of a clue how to put a team together.

He should be a scout.

GO!!!!!
02-27-2006, 04:49 PM
Why doesen't he get Brown to make this team a second half miricle and then make a play for Bosh or something, dammit, all these high profile names are stupid, Randolf can be had cheap i'd imagine, there are pleanty of players that could be had that are less on the rader and at better value for the Knicks

travmil
02-27-2006, 04:59 PM
The wild NY media speculation (or maybe not so wild - maybe just the idea's crazy) is that Isiah's grabbing all these pieces to make a play at KG after the season. The equivalent of a Hail Mary IMO.

I don't see it happening. Of course I didn't see the Marbury-Francis backcourt but I should just give up on the thought that Isiah has any kind of a clue how to put a team together.

He should be a scout.

You're right, it's a hail mary. But if he DOES pull it off and KG is a Knick next season it will be a great trade. I would imagine that all would be forgiven.

OnlyPacersLeft
02-27-2006, 05:05 PM
lets trade JO to the lakers! WOOOOOOOO we can get odom and a scrub like deavean george! OH NO FORGET ODOM! WE CAN GET MIHM!!!!!!!!!!!!
LETS DO IT!
TITLE TOWN HERE WE COOOOOOOOME!@

Outlaw
02-27-2006, 05:05 PM
If you read Mike Wells Q & A he is talking about JO trade rumors starting up this summer. I am starting to believe he will be shipped off this offseason.IMO

NY has nothing of interest but high salaried players who can't win. I don't think anyone would trade big time talent for mediocre highly paid players.

As far as Phil I doubt he has a clue about what Thomas will do this summer when NOBODY ELSE in the league seems to know what he is doing.(including Thomas himself)

Pacesetter
02-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Hopefully Jackson's not throwing JO's name out there for leverage for New York. But why would Jackson even do something like that? Hmmmm! :chin:

rexnom
02-27-2006, 05:43 PM
JO trade rumors: not worth anything IMO

Key player is injured. Team starts playing well. I wonder what will happen. Of course people are going to start to think that JO is expendable. But do you really think this team won't improve tremendously when he returns at 100% for once? Do you think that Larry and Donnie would trade JO, the face of this franchise, and our most loved player for anything less than a no brainer deal? Come on. We need to cool down and take all these trade rumors with a grain of salt.

DisplacedKnick
02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
You're right, it's a hail mary. But if he DOES pull it off and KG is a Knick next season it will be a great trade. I would imagine that all would be forgiven.

You mean like when he got LB as coach?

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Keep dreamin knicks....

Pacesetter
02-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Speaking of Channing Frye, I just learned his Grandpa was one of the famous Tuskegee Airmen! :cool:

Will Galen
02-27-2006, 06:33 PM
JO trade rumors: not worth anything IMO

Key player is injured. Team starts playing well. I wonder what will happen. Of course people are going to start to think that JO is expendable. But do you really think this team won't improve tremendously when he returns at 100% for once? Do you think that Larry and Donnie would trade JO, the face of this franchise, and our most loved player for anything less than a no brainer deal? Come on. We need to cool down and take all these trade rumors with a grain of salt.

JO isn't the Pacers most loved Pacer. I statrted a poll on here a few weeks ago that asked who was your favorite poster. You could pick more than one player. Granger won with Sarunas 2nd. I think JO was third.

Edit; http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18061&highlight=POLL

Granger had 40 %
Sarunas had 34 %
JO had 24%

rexnom
02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
JO isn't the Pacers most loved Pacer. I statrted a poll on here a few weeks ago that asked who was your favorite poster. You could pick more than one player. Granger won with Sarunas 2nd. I think JO was third.

Granger had 40 %
Sarunas had 34 %
JO had 24%

Take that poll at any game and I bet you JO wins out. I meant to the common fan. And considering "the common fan" makes up most of the fanbase, I think it's something important to consider.

Moses
02-27-2006, 07:23 PM

Granger had 40 %
Sarunas had 34 %
JO had 24%
It's settled then.

JO's being shipped to the Knicks for Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford. Does it work salary wise? No. Who cares though, JO isn't the favorite Pacer anymore. We need to bring in some new 'talent' and see what the fans think of it.

dipperdunk
02-27-2006, 07:30 PM
1. Phil Jackson should be fined for those comments both players are under contract.

2. If JO and KG are both put on the trade market this summer the most logical deal for the Wolves/Pacers would be a KG/JO swap not some deal involving a package with Steve Francis.

Hicks
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Exactly, dipperdunk. Minny and Indy would be better of trading KG and JO for each other than one of them trading their man to NY for their crap.

skyfire
02-27-2006, 08:45 PM
While I think the Pacers have enough pieces that if they decided to trade JO they could still be good - very good depending on who they got. Minny are an average team, so doing a lateral at best trade of JO for KG doesn't really make sense for them.

If Minny were to trade KG I think they would do it for some combination of young players, cap relief and draft picks. Which pretty much precludes the Knicks from the discussion anyways.

Will Galen
02-27-2006, 09:00 PM
If Minny were to trade KG I think they would do it for some combination of young players, cap relief and draft picks. Which pretty much precludes the Knicks from the discussion anyways.

Kind of precludes us trading for him too, that is unless we want to give up Granger or Harrison, along with JO.

We would probably offer JO and Tinsley. I think Minny would want more.

Kingsfanbmiller
02-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I guess Phil Jackson didn't know that Larry Bird's not on drugs or an idiot?

Pacerized
02-27-2006, 09:21 PM
I remember we offered Mel-Mel and JO (I beleive it was JO along with another player) for T-Mac, and the Magic turned it down.

I dont think Minny takes that trade, but i would love it if they did

I don't remember ever reading about J.O. being offered in a deal for T-Mac. That would've have been a bad trade offer then, and now.

DisplacedKnick
02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
FWIW Rim, I always thought Isiah had a master plan, but I have to be honest, I never thought it was KG. I thought he would go after a Lebron or Bosh.

If it works out, then he is a genious.

But if not, just add another failure to the resume.

A huge risk, if he is in fact looking at it from that POV

Well, unless Cavs management somehow supremely pisses him off, Lebron's staying.

Bosh may be another story but what do we have that they'd want? Frye's not enough and we have nobody else even worth talking about.

As for KG - if he's up to be traded just about any player in the league not named Lebron, Wade or Tim Duncan would be on the table. No chance there either.

Jermaniac
02-27-2006, 09:23 PM
I remember we offered Mel-Mel and JO (I beleive it was JO along with another player) for T-Mac, and the Magic turned it down.

I dont think Minny takes that trade, but i would love it if they didJO was never offered for T-Mac. Its was Al,Ron for T-Mac, the Magic wanted Bender too and the Pacers didnt give him up. That is what I heard,

rexnom
02-27-2006, 09:48 PM
JO was never offered for T-Mac. Its was Al,Ron for T-Mac, the Magic wanted Bender too and the Pacers didnt give him up. That is what I heard,

So basically...after two years...Peja and Jack for T-Mac?

Jermaniac
02-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Guess so.

And we better not trade JO, If we do I think I will cry.

Moses
02-27-2006, 10:17 PM
I wonder what would have happened if we had actually gotten T-Mac. Man it would have been a beautiful to watch JO and T-Mac play together. Certainly more entertaining thent he 7'6 softie and T-Mac.

Kegboy
02-27-2006, 10:30 PM
I statrted a poll on here a few weeks ago that asked who was your favorite poster.

Rat's my favorite poster. He makes me all my cool avatars.

larry
02-28-2006, 12:27 PM

I dont think Minny takes that trade, but i would love it if they did
hell no! the idea was 2 have them together. the magic would've loved jo over francis. and jackson needs 2 keep indy's name out his mouth! he's an idiot & i almost threw my lap top when i read that.
jo = untouchable

Sirius
02-28-2006, 12:50 PM
JO really gets a bad rap...he puts in great effort (in my opinion), is mature, says all the right things (for the most part), is friendly with the fans and the players, etc. I think he's a good face for the franchise and much more valuable than whatever the hell we're going to get for him, UNLESS maybe its Bosh, even then I'd still be a little wary of the contract and the loss of a leader. That being said, KG would be a steal for us even with tins thrown in as you just cant substitute for pure talent and length. Anything outside a few absolute marquee players would be ridiculous to trade JO for...I especially love the people who think JO for rasheed or Ben (lmao) would be a good idea...dear lord.

Tim
03-01-2006, 05:58 PM
JO is far from untouchable

Only on this board.

JO is an All Star bigman in his prime, no team would be looking to ship him unless the relationship went sour, example being Shawn Kemp.

And as far as KG goes, I doubt Donnie would pull the trigger on that even if he was offered a reasonable deal.

People on here love drama, they bash JO and Tinsley for the silliest things sometimes and forget that it really isn't all that easy to add high quality talent to a team. We are fortunate to have the team we have, we just need to get healthy and stay healthy, then decide what formula the team needs to get back to the level of the 2004 team and tweak.

317Kim
03-01-2006, 06:02 PM
JO stays. :)

What's untouchable is the amount of JO/KG rumours that will never get too old.

rexnom
03-01-2006, 06:24 PM
JO stays. :)

What's untouchable is the amount of JO/KG rumours that will never get too old.

Ah, but it's so much fun! It's like gossip really...trade rumors....

OnlyPacersLeft
03-02-2006, 05:01 PM
no please please please trade JO! WE CAN GET MIHM! CHRIS MIHM GUYS! not only that but maybe ODOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOWWWWWWWWW!

PacerMan
03-02-2006, 05:55 PM
He would have been another Bender, well maybe not that extreme.

I was adamantly against getting T-Mac for fear of his back injury coming up again, or getting worse, and both happened this year. I love the guys game to death, but he had to be carried off the court in a stretcher.

I hate to be the one to say "I told you so", but thats exactly what I would have been saying if he came here.

I have been around back injuries a lot my life, and I actually have someone very close to me who has a bad back inury. She was thrown off of a horse while riding, and back injuries are something that just never go away, and chances are they are going to come back up at some point in your career/life.

So if we could have gotten a young T-Mac, I would say "go for it". I loved watching him play in Toronto/his early days with the Magic. But after I started seeing that chronic back injury, I am so happy we didnt get stuck with him.

I've read that he's having his best season ever?