PDA

View Full Version : Conrad: Should Jones Replace Jackson In Lineup?

Raskolnikov
02-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Q. With Stephen Jackson as inconsistent and hotheaded as he is, do you agree he is more of a liability than an asset? And with Fred Jones' level of play as of late, don't you agree that maybe bringing Jack off the bench would get him into gear? At times, he does look like he doesn't look enthused to be playing. (From Billy in Indianapolis)

A. While frustration with Jackson is understandable, it's important to realize a couple of things, at least as they pertain to his play of late. Namely, Jackson has been bothered by a sprained left ankle and sore right knee for quite awhile but refuses to take time off. His physical struggles have been manifest in his game. In the last six games, he has averaged just 10 points on 29 percent shooting overall and has gone 3-of-21 from the 3-point line. For better or worse, however, he's been the true warrior, putting on the uniform every game, no matter how he feels, and giving whatever he has to offer. The same competitive fire that sometimes pushes Jackson beyond emotional limits also enables him to push beyond physical limits.
And the thing is, while he isn't helping the team as much as he would be at full strength, he certainly isn't hurting the Pacers' cause as much as the numbers might lead you to believe. Look at the New Jersey game Sunday night, for example. Without Jackson's energy and productivity early in the game (he scored all 12 of his points in the first half), the Pacers wouldn't have been in such an advantageous position with a 13-point lead at the break.
Jones has been extremely productive off the bench but it's not always safe to assume a reserve's stats would necessarily transfer to the starting lineup. As a reserve, Jones is the go-to guy with the freedom to basically create shots as he sees fit. That wouldn't be the case with the starters. As a reserve, he gives the Pacers a huge advantage because he brings the ability to change a game from the bench. That's a factor not to be taken lightly. Let's also keep in mind the team has been successful with the current lineup and rotations, with both the first and second units developing the cohesiveness, chemistry and consistency that have been lacking for much of the season. There really is no need to tinker with a machine that, for the most part, is running as smoothly as could be realistically hoped.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

I left Conrad's picture out once. Sorry to those that like it. ;)

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Maybe we should just start four players and let Fred keep playing his super-sub role.

That's gotta be a better option than having Jackson in the lineup.

I'm only partially kidding.

:devil:

Raskolnikov
02-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Maybe we should just start four players and let Fred keep playing his super-sub role.

That's gotta be a better option than having Jackson in the lineup.

I'm only partially kidding.

:devil:
It's only partially funny too.

:devil: right back at ya.

;)

Moses
02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I definitely agree with Conrad. Even if Stephen is playing sore right now, We need to keep playing him even if he isn't putting up the numbers we'd like to see. He's been a good passer the past few games and is the only guy on our team capable of guarding the other teams best swingman and not getting torched maybe with the exception of Danger. Until JO/Tinsley/Croshere comes back, I think we need to stick with whats working now. That's Stephen starting and Freddie off of the bench.

Alot of people here fail to realize that Jackson plays with alot of passion and he just wants to win even if he is hurting. I don't know about you guys, But thats the kind of guy I want on my team whether it's coming off the bench or starting. He may be streaky, but when he's on, he's as good as the best SG's in this league.

Pacesetter
02-27-2006, 05:25 PM
I think this franchise is very lucky to have two SG's who are this good and competitive. Hopefully, Morway will convince Fred (and Donnie) to sign up for another 3-5 more years (perhaps a career). :)

Steve's the starter with good reason, but it's no wonder he doesn't want to miss a game due to injury, not with Fred Jones playing like he is!!!

kerosene
02-27-2006, 05:29 PM
"Jones has been extremely productive off the bench but it's not always safe to assume a reserve's stats would necessarily transfer to the starting lineup."

That sums it up for me. It's always good to have someone coming off the bench who can provide 'instant offense'. If Jackson comes off the bench and is cold then what? In general, the starters should be able to 'cover' for Jackson's streaky shooting better than the reserves.

FrenchConnection
02-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Jack is the only SG that we have with the size to guard the larger SGs. Freddie has been playing very good, but as has been discussed here many a time his size is his main weakness. Continue to start Jack and bring Fred off of the bench, but Fred should finish games is he is not being tourched by the likes of Joe Johnson.

CableKC
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Why can't Carlisle simply bench SJax if he is playing injured?

Unless SJax is more productive in the lineup playing injured then recovering from some injury.......I don't see why he is still allowed to play.

It maybe more of a case of "we have no choice but to play him"....but I would much rather sacrifice a few game now then risk further injury to anymore of the starters going into the playoff home-stretch.

Am I missing something here?

I want a 95% healthy roster going into the playoffs.....rather then hobble into the playoffs injured.

The only thing I can think of is that Carlisle may not have the balls to bench SJax for his own good.

Moses
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Why can't Carlisle simply bench SJax if he is playing injured?

Unless SJax is more productive in the lineup playing injured then recovering from some injury.......I don't see why he is still allowed to play.

It maybe more of a case of "we have no choice but to play him"....but I would much rather sacrifice a few game now then risk further injury to anymore of the starters going into the playoff home-stretch.

Am I missing something here?

I want a 95% healthy roster going into the playoffs.....rather then hobble into the playoffs injured.

The only thing I can think of is that Carlisle may not have the balls to bench SJax for his own good.
Or maybe we don't have anybody else that can guard 2 guards above 6'5?

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Peja can - he should be playing SG anyway, and Granger should be starting at SF.

:twocents:

EDIT - I didn't say he was "great" at defending SGs... that's not the point... but with his length, you could design a team defense to hide (somewhat) his lack of footspeed.

D-BONE
02-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Or maybe Carlisle's insistence on starting/staying with Jack is, in fact, based on his judgment that they guy's passion and commitment to helping the team win merits it. Maybe he thinks those positives of Jack's outweigh his drawbacks.

CableKC
02-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Or maybe we don't have anybody else that can guard 2 guards above 6'5?
I wouldn't mind if Granger guarded the 6'5" SGs :rolleyes: ......if not....then that is why I mentioned the "we have no choice" option in my post.

Anthem
02-28-2006, 12:17 AM
"Jones has been extremely productive off the bench but it's not always safe to assume a reserve's stats would necessarily transfer to the starting lineup."

That sums it up for me. It's always good to have someone coming off the bench who can provide 'instant offense'. If Jackson comes off the bench and is cold then what? In general, the starters should be able to 'cover' for Jackson's streaky shooting better than the reserves.
Post more!

slyder
02-28-2006, 12:36 AM
[QUOTE=Jay@Section204]Peja can - he should be playing SG anyway, and Granger should be starting at SF.

absolutely right but won't happen.
status will be quo . . . next year, could be
a very different story.

but i do agree that seems wise to try and
limit jackson's minutes some and keep him ready
for the playoffs.

speaking of which, what's the magic number
for us to make playoffs?

Pacersfan46
02-28-2006, 05:47 AM

What's the difference really? Fred is just as inconsistant as Jack, and what if Fred is cold coming off the bench, then what?

Same difference.

Raskolnikov
02-28-2006, 07:45 AM
speaking of which, what's the magic number
for us to make playoffs?
:huh:

Wild guess: ln(3827913) - 372*sin(32.9)

Ok, that was a very wild guess.

:bananadan

Chest Rockwell
02-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Putting Jones in the starting lineup and having him score 15ppg would only make him less likely to re-sign next year. He's going to get thrown big $$$ this offseason as it is.