PDA

View Full Version : New Hope for the Raptors? Colangelo takes over

Slick Pinkham
02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
The guy is smart and helps teams turn it around. Maybe the anti-Isiah.

http://tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=156440&hubname=

2/27/2006 1:42:07 PM

The Globe and Mail reports that Bryan Colangelo will be leaving the Phoenix Suns and will assume the role of president and general manager of the Toronto Raptors.

"There are some final details to workout with the Suns regarding his situation that's where it right now," an NBA source told The Globe and Mail.

"There will be something more later, but it is not out of the realm of possibility to say he's coming to Toronto."

According to the paper, an official announcement is pending and sources close to both Suns managing partner Robert Sarver and Colangelo indicated to the Globe that the Raptors' courtship of the 40-year-old reigning executive of the year has been successful.

The move comes after the Raptors fired GM Rob Babcock on Jan. 26 after getting off to a 14-29 start. Wayne Embry took the reins as interim GM, dealing centre Aaron Williams to New Orleans for two second-round draft picks and acquiring Antonio Davis in a trade for Jalen Rose.

After meeting with Raptors officials two weeks ago in Toronto, three league sources told the Arizona Republic that Colangelo appeared ready to accept the position as soon as the "final details" were worked out.

That reportedly included salary talks that would more than triple his salary, said to be among the bottom third of NBA general managers at an estimated $1 million.

Suns managing partner Robert Sarver, whose group will complete a purchase of the team in June 2007, met with Colangelo during All-Star weekend in Houston and asked for a decision from him by the end of the month.

Colangelo, in his seventh season as the Suns president and 11th as general manager, was named The Sporting News NBA Executive of the Year after the Suns completed the third-greatest turnaround in NBA history while winning the Pacific Division Championship in 2004-05.

He built the Suns through a series of forward-thinking moves, beginning with the controversial trade of All-Star Stephon Marbury and Penny Hardaway to New York in 2004 creating the cap space necessary to sign eventual NBA MVP Steve Nash and Quentin Richardson.

With Colangelo and 2004-05 NBA Coach of the Year Mike D’Antoni, the Suns finished a league-best 62-20 last season after posting a 29-53 record in 2003-04.

GO!!!!!
02-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Smart, how can he be smart, I think it's a stupid decision, depending on his stake in the Suns I suppose, if the stake is more then 5 percent, he's losing, he gets what 2 mill a year more and some more power, but has to leave one of the best franchises, sell his team stake when it's rising and inherits one of the worse teams in the world.

Good steal for the Raps, best thing they have done in five years

rexnom
02-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Brilliant move by the raptors. Their situation is looking better and better by the day to me. Now maybe they can get some quality players around Bosh and maybe even keep him from bolting to the Lakers.

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Great move Raps

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 09:06 PM
NY should have gotten collajello

SycamoreKen
02-27-2006, 09:18 PM
great move for Toronto, idiotic move for the Suns. This doesn't bode well for Suns' fans when their new owners won't keep the guy around that built a winner.

rexnom
02-27-2006, 09:49 PM
great move for Toronto, idiotic move for the Suns. This doesn't bode well for Suns' fans when their new owners won't keep the guy around that built a winner.

Yeah, I think they are getting a bit too overconfident that they have the right core in place. While its the right thinking, remember last year? They won 62 games and still Colangelo found ways to improve that team.

Anthem
02-28-2006, 01:58 AM
But... he's never won a championship! 62 wins is crap unless you win it all!

rexnom
02-28-2006, 01:54 PM
But... he's never won a championship! 62 wins is crap unless you win it all!

Yeah but he found a way in one year to take a lottery team to a 62 win team. That's something. Then the next year that 62 team win improved even more and now they actual play d and are a tough team. Once Amare gets back they'll be up there with the Spurs and Mavs.

Anthem
02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Yeah but he found a way in one year to take a lottery team to a 62 win team. That's something. Then the next year that 62 team win improved even more and now they actual play d and are a tough team. Once Amare gets back they'll be up there with the Spurs and Mavs.
But if they don't win a championship, they're losers and he should be fired anyway.

EDIT: I just realized you might not recognize this as sarcasm. It's sarcasm.

rexnom
02-28-2006, 04:02 PM
But if they don't win a championship, they're losers and he should be fired anyway.

EDIT: I just realized you might not recognize this as sarcasm. It's sarcasm.

Thanks for the edit...hehe...but I did recognize it this time.

Anthem
02-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the edit...hehe...but I did recognize it this time.
Maybe if I'd included [/darkside] at the end... :D