PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally convinced. Granger is an offensive beast too.

McKeyFan
02-26-2006, 10:54 PM
We've had a thread or two where we celebrated how good a draft pick we'd gotten in Granger: great rebounder, great defender, savvy bball I.Q., sold person, good passer.

But many of us still had the one caveat: can he shoot that well? Is he a true offensive talent?

I've seen enough to be convinced. The kid can shoot. He can create offense. He can score. He's only getting better.

Tonight he hit arguably the biggest shot of the night with 1:20 or so to go. And did you see the "and 1" continuation shot? And the other "Dr. J. cuff" drive and pass, as the announcers called it? And the 4-4 performance at the free throw line in the last minute?

Look out folks. We've gotten the steal of the draft.

pizza guy
02-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Danny Granger is my hero. He does everything right. With some time adjusting to the different style (college vs. pro) and the maturation of his body, we have an absolute stud. Let's keep this kid in a Pacers uniform for his entire career, because we may just have a superstar. He may never be really flashy like LeBron or Kobe, but he will consistently bring his best every night his entire career. For some reason, it makes me think of Karl Malone, without the nasty elbow crap. Just basic basketball, played very well the way it should be, in every aspect.

Danny Granger for MVP! OK, a little early for that, but it's coming!

unstandable
02-26-2006, 11:02 PM

Ryan Gomes is the steal of the draft so far. He was drafted 50th, and he just got his third straight double-double after Boston put him in the starting lineup.

BigDawg44
02-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Ryan Gomes is the steal of the draft so far. He was drafted 50th, and he just got his third straight double-double after Boston put him in the starting lineup.
yeah go ahead...rain on our parade! jeez total mood killer

haha, i m just kidding man

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 05:01 AM
We've had a thread or two where we celebrated how good a draft pick we'd gotten in Granger: great rebounder, great defender, savvy bball I.Q., sold person, good passer.

But many of us still had the one caveat: can he shoot that well? Is he a true offensive talent?

I've seen enough to be convinced. The kid can shoot. He can create offense. He can score. He's only getting better.

Tonight he hit arguably the biggest shot of the night with 1:20 or so to go. And did you see the "and 1" continuation shot? And the other "Dr. J. cuff" drive and pass, as the announcers called it? And the 4-4 performance at the free throw line in the last minute?

He is clutch too :)

D-BONE
02-27-2006, 06:57 AM
Yes, Granger just continues to improve. Couldn't be more elated we got the chance to nab him where we picked. I will return to the question that has been raised by other posters already though. How do we get him enough minutes moving forward once JO gets back? Does somebody else stand to lose minutes? I agree that his offensive game is coming along nicely, but his defense and rebounding with the current group I think is the top priority for us to have him on the floor. He's our best defender on the opposition's top #3.

Jon Theodore
02-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Granger = future of the Pacers. We absolutely have to keep this kid. He is more mature at his age than ANY of the guys like Reggie or Jermaine who have been "leaders" of this team.

Can you really imagine Granger in 4 or 5 years? All-star for sure and I like the fact he isn't flashy. 2 points is 2 points and when your not flashy, you don't get as much attention.

I LIKE IT.

Bball
02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
I hate to mention the name of a former 'superstar' in the making that we had that was a complete bust BUT the things I see from Granger make me think we have 'something' here with Granger. B****r NEVER was this consistent or solid game in and game out (and all around play as well).

The player who shall remain as nameless as that malcontent that no longer plays here had a reputation based on hype and wishful thinking. Nothing else.

It's good to see a player get a reputation for play on the court rather than hype from TPTB and some people who get impressed by a few dunks.

-Bball

microwave_oven
02-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Jonny Bender, yeah I said it--jealous?, was never good in games, just practice. Granger has been "consistent" every night. He is a smart, non-flashy, grind-it-out, win at all costs, good basketball player. Something JB can never claim.

Moses
02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Granger is a definite stud in the making. I really think he's going to end up alot like Marion statistically. The thing that is most surprising to me his how well he can knock down the mid-range jumpers...He and AJ have been money from mid-range.

I can't beleive Bender got pulled into this conversation and you guys make it seem as though he wasn't trying to get back to playing.

bulletproof
02-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Nah man. Granger is putting up better numbers with considerably less minutes. If Rick played him 35+ minutes a game, as Gomes has in his last five games, Granger's numbers would dwarf his.

Tim
02-27-2006, 12:12 PM
When I heard we were getting Peja my first thought was that he will get in the way of Danger. That is how high I am on him.

Once Danger is solidly included in the offense (this off season) he will make the loss of Peja no big deal. Seriously, he will. What we will lose in Peja's offense Danger will make up with his all around game. We may just have the next Scotty Pippen.
With enough minutes he could challenge JO and David in shot blocking.
He is worth of Al like dedication, I am thinking of putting Do Not Trade in front of his name, hehe.

Okay I will, hehe!

Harddrive7
02-27-2006, 12:15 PM
I hate to mention the name of a former 'superstar' in the making that we had that was a complete bust BUT the things I see from Granger make me think we have 'something' here with Granger. B****r NEVER was this consistent or solid game in and game out (and all around play as well).

The player who shall remain as nameless as that malcontent that no longer plays here had a reputation based on hype and wishful thinking. Nothing else.

It's good to see a player get a reputation for play on the court rather than hype from TPTB and some people who get impressed by a few dunks.

-Bball

Well it's very possible that TPTB really had no clue either as to what they were really getting. I think that they're finding out just as we are of his full potential.

bulletproof
02-27-2006, 12:30 PM
Well it's very possible that TPTB really had no clue either as to what they were really getting. I think that they're finding out just as we are of his full potential.

I think they had an idea.

unstandable
02-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Nah man. Granger is putting up better numbers with considerably less minutes. If Rick played him 35+ minutes a game, as Gomes has in his last five games, Granger's numbers would dwarf his.

Their per-minute numbers are similar. But my point wasn't that Gomes was better than Granger, just that his production in comparison to his draft position made him more qualified for the "steal of the draft" label. Granger was a mid-first round pick. Gomes was a mid-second round pick. Both are going to be very good players.

FrenchConnection
02-27-2006, 01:42 PM

I think that they did know. I remember this from the articles on pacers.com after the draft.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/draft_050628.html

"After we saw him in that first workout, I asked Larry (Bird), 'We've actually got a chance to draft this guy?'" said Coach Rick Carlisle. "And he said, 'Nah, probably not.'"

Here is another quote from the same article:

"If we would've had the fifth pick, he would've been the best player available. That's how strongly we felt about Danny Granger's abilities to not only play in this league but contribute on our team. We're very fortunate tonight, and very happy."

I realize that all teams have similar quotes after the draft, but these, especially the first, do not seem rehearsed. In fact, that first quote above stuck with me. Now they are probably not surprised, but I sure am!

FrenchConnection
02-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Their per-minute numbers are similar. But my point wasn't that Gomes was better than Granger, just that his production in comparison to his draft position made him more qualified for the "steal of the draft" label. Granger was a mid-first round pick. Gomes was a mid-second round pick. Both are going to be very good players.

I have no idea why Gomes was passed over. In fact, I think that he would have been better served entering the draft right out of High School. But, he ended up in a good situation where he will get the playing time to grow and develop.

My general problem with the drafting over the past number of years is all this drafting on potential. All draft picks are on potential to a certain extent, but players like Korolev being drafted above Granger or Darko above Wade is just stupid. I think that the new rule will benefit all teams and players. No more drafting from high school or the European junior leagues! Let players play against good competition before paying them millions.

Harddrive7
02-27-2006, 02:10 PM

That he would be this complete of a player this soon? Granted he's not All Star caliber, but damn.

Anthem
02-27-2006, 03:26 PM
My general problem with the drafting over the past number of years is all this drafting on potential. All draft picks are on potential to a certain extent, but players like Korolev being drafted above Granger or Darko above Wade is just stupid. I think that the new rule will benefit all teams and players. No more drafting from high school or the European junior leagues! Let players play against good competition before paying them millions.
That's exactly what I DON'T want. LET teams draft 18-year-old Serbian 7-footers! LET them scour the high school gyms of America, looking for the next big thing! Meanwhile, we'll keep getting our Freddies and Grangers in the middle of the draft, our Tinsleys and Harrisons at the end, and JJs/ADs in the second round.

What do I care if Toronto botches their pick? Not my problem.

Pig Nash
02-27-2006, 04:14 PM
That's exactly what I DON'T want. LET teams draft 18-year-old Serbian 7-footers! LET them scour the high school gyms of America, looking for the next big thing! Meanwhile, we'll keep getting our Freddies and Grangers in the middle of the draft, our Tinsleys and Harrisons at the end, and JJs/ADs in the second round.

What do I care if Toronto botches their pick? Not my problem.

Exactly, other teams picking stupid is my favorite thing ever!

Anthem
02-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Exactly, other teams picking stupid is my favorite thing ever!
That's a double entendre, right? Because they make stupid picks by picking stupid players.

Now if an aged sea captain were involved, you'd really be rocking.

brichard
02-28-2006, 09:56 PM
One thing to me about Granger is that he is so built for the game of basketball.

1. He is lean.
2. He is strong.
3. He is quick.
4. He has great length/wingspan. This is what excites me most as a defender b/c he plays bigger than he is.

When you add to that that he has every appearance of being a very level headed young man, it is understandable how popular he is. This guy was just born to play basketball.