PDA

View Full Version : The "official" Pacers vs. Nets post-game thread

Unclebuck
02-26-2006, 10:05 PM
Well Harrison looked pretty good in this game, well actually better than pretty good, he was fantastic. Who was the dummy at the last forum party who said DH was basically worthless, wow I bet he feels stupid right now.

Harrison does need to make at least 50% of his free throws. There is something very deflating about missing both free throws.

Great win though tonight.

More later

Edit: Let me ask some questions:

1) Does anyone else wonder if Fred Jones is the Pacers leading scorer in the fourth quarter this season

2) Shouldn't Peja get more shots than he gets. If you are like me I never want him to turn down even a semi-open shot.

3) When are some of you are to give Freddie some credit. He's often unstoppable

4) Can Saras play any worse. Right now if Tinsley ever comes back, I 'm moving Tinsley ahead of Saras as the backup point guard.

Jermaniac
02-26-2006, 10:08 PM
Freddie was huge again, those missed FT's really took away from his game a few nights ago. But he came up big tonight again and drove us to the win.

AJ what can I say about AJ, I'm just more and more comfortable when AJ is out there running the team, it just makes me feel safe when he is in there. And the way he is creating his own shot now just makes him even better. When Tinsley comes back I want him coming off the bench and if he plays GREAT he can have his starting job back, if he is just playing okay then AJ should continue to start.

Another good game from Peja, but hey its Peja he always has a good game.

Jermaniac
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Also cant forget Danny, he hit some big shots in the 4th.

Unclebuck
02-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Mark Montieth is hosting Indy sports tallk on WIBC tomorrow night. 1070 AM

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
I called him out for that a while ago UB, it drives me nuts howhe shoots FT's better at home then he does on the road. I have never seen the numbers, but I bet he shoots 15-18% better at home from the charity stripe.

You are correct

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Also cant forget Danny, he hit some big shots in the 4th.

I've considered Danny to be clutch for a while now

Jermaniac
02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Well Harrison looked pretty good in this game, well actually better than pretty good, he was fantastic. Who was the dummy at the last forum party who said DH was basically worthless, wow I bet he feels stupid right now.

Harrison does need to make at least 50% of his free throws. There is something very deflating about missing both free throws.

Great win though tonight.

More later

1) Does anyone else wonder if Fred Jones is the Pacers leading scorer in the fourth quarter this season

2) Shouldn't Peja get more shots than he gets. If you are like me I never want him to turn down even a semi-open shot.

4) Can Saras play any worse. Right now if Tinsley ever comes back, I 'm moving Tinsley ahead of Saras as the backup point guard.

2) I agree Peja should shoot more, sometimes we go for a good 2-3 minutes without even looking at Peja, he needs to shoot at least 20 times a game.

3)Agreed

4)Agreed again, he is horrible, he is doing nothing out there. He cant hit his shots, he is turning the ball over and he still sucks on defense. Tins needs to hurry back.

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 10:13 PM

:devil:

3) That's why Fred is the perfect sparkplug off the bench. He isn't always on, but when he is, he is ON. :)

Jermaniac
02-26-2006, 10:13 PM
I've considered Danny to be clutch for a while nowHe is, he plays the close games like he plays the 20 point blowouts. Nothing rattles him.

Unclebuck
02-26-2006, 10:14 PM
What did everyone think of Peja's running hook shot tonight. He is just such a better "basketball player" than I realized. He can even take certain defenders off the dribble.

LjuboDaMan
02-26-2006, 10:15 PM
2) I agree Peja should shoot more, sometimes we go for a good 2-3 minutes without even looking at Peja, he needs to shoot at least 20 times a game.

3)Agreed

4)Agreed again, he is horrible, he is doing nothing out there. He cant hit his shots, he is turning the ball over and he still sucks on defense. Tins needs to hurry back.

no way ... if he shoots 20 times a game ... he would average 30 points per game ...

its better like this ... more balanced hehe

Unclebuck
02-26-2006, 10:17 PM
no way ... if he shoots 20 times a game ... he would average 30 points per game ...

its better like this ... more balanced hehe

Yes but he doesn't dominant the ball at all. He never holds the ball and he is very willing to pass the ball. All I want is for him to get more shots. That won't hurt the balance because when he gets the ball either he shoots, makes a very quick move and shots or he passes the ball, he doesn't hold the ball or pound the ball into the floor.

317Kim
02-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Freddy is out of that slump but I think he's just a spark not exactly the leading scorer in the fourth. He just seems to step up even more.

Interesting scoring tonight..2 guys scored 12 2 other guys scored 13 and then 2 others scored 22. :D Gotta love the balance!

HULK SMASHED!

aceace
02-26-2006, 10:22 PM
What did everyone think of Peja's running hook shot tonight. He is just such a better "basketball player" than I realized. He can even take certain defenders off the dribble.A little Kareem there. Looked like an easy shot to get off. I agree that he is quite a bit better then I remember. I thought he was strictly a shooter but he's got all kinds of weapons.

LjuboDaMan
02-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Yes but he doesn't dominant the ball at all. He never holds the ball and he is very willing to pass the ball. All I want is for him to get more shots. That won't hurt the balance because when he gets the ball either he shoots, makes a very quick move and shots or he passes the ball, he doesn't hold the ball or pound the ball into the floor.

i know ... i dont know if thats going to happen ... i always wanted to see that while he was playing for the kings

he did shoot more (when he averaged 25 per game ... but back then there was no cwebb and the playmaker was Vlade Divac - sometimes having 10 assts. or so)

Trader Joe
02-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Danger played the whole 4th quarter tonight which is pretty good for rook in a game that is still up for grabs on the road.

AJ should be the starter by default, but if he struggles with pressure in the playoffs I would no problem giving Tins the keys as long as he is healthy. AJ can then be used as the backup. Basically I think Rick needs to learn to go with the hot hand more as well as being more intent on taking advantage of matchups as to who should be playing.

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 10:45 PM
AJ is playing really well. If he struggles with pressure in the playoffs, maybe we could slide him to SG with Tins sometimes, or something. He is a beast in this new offense

Trader Joe
02-26-2006, 10:50 PM
AJ at two guard scares me a bit. Lets not go too overboard on his new found offensive prowess.

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 10:51 PM
AJ at two guard scares me a bit. Lets not go too overboard on his new found offensive prowess.

Why would that scare you? I've always thought he was more SG than PG anyway

Trader Joe
02-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Too me AJ thrives as a PG in this free flowing ball movement based offense like he played in NJ. I don't think AJ has an ounce of two guard in him.

pizza guy
02-26-2006, 11:47 PM
Freddie was huge again, those missed FT's really took away from his game a few nights ago. But he came up big tonight again and drove us to the win.

AJ what can I say about AJ, I'm just more and more comfortable when AJ is out there running the team, it just makes me feel safe when he is in there. And the way he is creating his own shot now just makes him even better. When Tinsley comes back I want him coming off the bench and if he plays GREAT he can have his starting job back, if he is just playing okay then AJ should continue to start.

Another good game from Peja, but hey its Peja he always has a good game.

Well, we've always wondered, and now we know...

Rick Carlisle really does read Pacers Digest. ;)

I didn't see the whole game, just the last 8 or 9 minutes. Danny stepped up and made some huge free throws and Freddie was unstoppable down the stretch. Peja really should shoot more than he does. His problem is that being a number 1 isn't his thing, and he needs to be number 2 or 3 to really thrive. That's why I want to see JO get back with the group and play with Peja out there. The rest I can't really comment on because like I said, I didn't see the whole game.

McKeyFan
02-26-2006, 11:49 PM
Yes but he doesn't dominant the ball at all.

You're messing up that word on purpose, aren't you?

;)

Slick Pinkham
02-27-2006, 12:04 AM
I'd like to see more screens set for Peja. He needs so little space.

Sarunas is at a low right now. Literally OWNED by Jacque-freakin' Vaughn. He tries to move without the ball and add something to the offense, but he just looks awful without the ball in his hand and tonight he couldn't do much when he had the ball in his hands.

Granger made me smile all 4th quarter. So clutch! And Fred of course. I hope he's not simply earning a bigger paycheck elsewhere for next season.

Anthem
02-27-2006, 01:13 AM
You're messing up that word on purpose, aren't you?
I swear he and Peck do it just to set my teeth on edge.

I'd say it's like nails on a blackboard, but that sound never bothered me. Styrofoam, on the other hand...

Pacersin6
02-27-2006, 02:08 AM
I swear he and Peck do it just to set my teeth on edge.

I'd say it's like nails on a blackboard, but that sound never bothered me. Styrofoam, on the other hand...

Saras has not played well lately at all. Its been kinda hard to watch cause i had a lot of hope for him. That being said he is not helping us right now

B

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-27-2006, 02:44 AM
I like the fact that AJ is finally getting some of the love he deserves, but Im predicting that before the season is over, people will be declaring:

- he is the worst pg ever
- hes too fat and slow
- the offense crumbles when AJ comes in the game
- he shouldnt ever touch the ball,
- RC should be fired because he relies on AJ too much
- the Pacers should release him or use him as trade fodder

I love AJ, but its inevitable that hes going to go through a bad streak eventually and then everyone will decide to forget what hes done in the past.

I hope I can remember this thread and dig it up when it happens, and be all proud of myself for predicting the future lol.

CableKC
02-27-2006, 03:14 AM
I missed it....but did SJax play at all today?

It doesn't sound like it. If that was the case.......has Freddie's performance in the last 2 games ( when SJax hasn't been playing...after he left Friday's game with an injury ) anything to do with that?

He's the likely 2nd or 3rd scoring option whenever he is on the floor....more touches....more opportunity to score. We saw the same with SJax once Artest was gone......Freddie simply took advantage of the situation.

Hmmmm....on another thought....when did Freddie's recent slump start? Did it happen around the same time Peja came on board?

Raskolnikov
02-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I missed it....but did SJax play at all today?

It doesn't sound like it. If that was the case.......has Freddie's performance in the last 2 games ( when SJax hasn't been playing...after he left Friday's game with an injury ) anything to do with that?

He's the likely 2nd or 3rd scoring option whenever he is on the floor....more touches....more opportunity to score. We saw the same with SJax once Artest was gone......Freddie simply took advantage of the situation.

Hmmmm....on another thought....when did Freddie's recent slump start? Did it happen around the same time Peja came on board?
The box score says that Jack played 30 minutes.

D-BONE
02-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Jack got most of his minutes in the first half and 12 points all in the first quarter, which did help get us off to a good start. He looks to have even more hitch in his odd giddyup than normal leading me to believe he's hurting. RC put him for one offensive possession down the stretch then immediately tryed to yank him out on D but wasn't allowed to sub and Jack ended up fouling when he was posted up by a bigger guy. At that point it looked like he was playing on one leg. Appears Rick is like play him while he's warm and get what you can then let Fred take over. Fred's definitely been the man the last couple games at SG. Hope he stays hot.

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 10:26 AM
David Harrison = :drool:

Danny Granger = :love:

When those two play well, we're going to win. When they don't, we'll lose.

Last night, they both played well.

I can't say enough good things about Harrison's footwork at both ends of the court.

And I can't say enough good things about Granger's mental toughness.

Anthem
02-27-2006, 10:49 AM

So it's just 13 new players that we need? Excellent! :flirt:

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 11:15 AM
Yes.

Although last season, I toyed with "fourteen new players and keep Harrison"... but "fifteen new players" just had more of a bite.

:maniac:

wjs
02-27-2006, 11:25 AM
My son and I attended last night's game and sat center-court five rows up. In addition to what others have noted (Jones super, Granger fantastic, A.J. solid, Sarunas not so solid, etc.), here's what stood out to me:

Great team effort. Everyone played well, and played well together. While the Nets are a lesser team without Carter, the Pacers just played a solid team game. Great ball movement, clutch shooting, dominant rebounding. Terrific focus and intensity.

David Harrison -- Hulk was great. For a guy his size, he really gets into the air and moves well. His block of Jefferson awed the local patrons; guy next to me offered he had never seen RJ blocked like that. This may have been David's best pro game. He altered shots, took up space, scored, played under control and with great energy and focus (12 pts, 8 rebounds in 14 minutes.) We have all tracked his ups and downs; after last night's performance, I not only believe David is our future starting center, I believe he is a future All-Star. More polish needed, but it is happening.

Rick Carlisle -- He did very little play-calling last night. He appears to be letting the players play, as many of us have wanted.

Peja -- Always my favorite non-Pacer ... just so impressive. Another solid defensive effort too. Must re-sign him and figure a way to play him and Danny together (as in the 4th Quarter).

Jeff Foster -- Jeff is playing better than ever. Someone has taught him to foul shoot too (whoever that was, go see Harrison). Never trade Jeff. In their post-game, the Nets radio guys were gushing about Jeff and David ("rebounding intensity" they said) and lamenting that their two 7-footers had no answer for our guys on the boards. 16 rebounds.

We arrived early to hang out near the runway so my son could try to snag some autographs, and indeed he did. Peja, Tinsley, Carlisle, Granger, Jackson, A.J., and Sarunas were all out in the pre-warm-up and all graciously took the time to accommodate a bunch of fans, my son included. Thanks to each of them.

As to Jack, when he came over to sign, I asked him if he was going to play. He smiled and said, "oh, yea". But there definitely was a "hitch in his giddyup" last night. Got to the foul line early and often (6 for 6 there) which was key. Give him credit; he is a tough and resilient player.

These Pacers are good, getting better together, and great fun to watch play. If Jermaine returns, plays as part of this program (i.e., 15 points and 14 rebounds per game; little or no iso play; etc.), and does so for about a month before the playoffs begin ...

RWB
02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
My son and I attended last night's game and sat center-court five rows up.

Just wanted to say, for a guy who's been a member for awhile, nice post and post more often. :buddies:

MagicRat
02-27-2006, 12:08 PM
We arrived early to hang out near the runway so my son could try to snag some autographs, and indeed he did. Peja, Tinsley, Carlisle, Granger, Jackson, A.J., and Sarunas were all out in the pre-warm-up and all graciously took the time to accommodate a bunch of fans, my son included. Thanks to each of them.

Was Jamaal shooting, or just lurking around in his suit?

wjs
02-27-2006, 12:23 PM
Was Jamaal shooting, or just lurking around in his suit?

Good question, M.R. I apologize for lack of clarity. Jamaal was not shooting.

Jermaniac
02-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Tins is coming back this week I can feel it.

Anthem
02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Although last season, I toyed with "fourteen new players and keep Harrison"...
That's not what I remember.... :flirt:

The team’s “Center of the future” – for whatever reason – has regressed significantly during his rookie season.

Maybe the rest of the league has figured out how to play him
Foul magnet
Pre-draft rumors of always being out-of-shape
Individual rebounding still leaves a lot to be desired
Even though I was smitten with him early in the season, I’m now 50/50 between, “He’ll be a legit starting center (Dampier)” and “He’ll drive us all mad with his unfulfilled potential (Jerome James).”
Regardless, Jeff Foster would be better suited to be a backup (and as said above, there's no guarantee Dale will re-sign with the Pacers this summer)
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=157644#post157644

Raskolnikov
02-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Thanks for your comments, wjs. Good post, nice read.

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 01:02 PM
I did toy with it; but the dark side of that thread just pushed me over the edge.

I was 50/50 between "legit starting center" and "he'll drive us crazy". I don't think I was nearly that nice to any other member of last year's team.

:D

Moses
02-27-2006, 01:18 PM
AJ is absolute money from mid-range. He also had 10 dimes last night and it's been to long since we've had one of our PG's go into double digit assists. Even if he does end up coming off the bench playoff time, you've got to admit that a 1-2 punch of Tinsley and AJ is extremely good no matter who gets the start.

02-27-2006, 02:01 PM

1) Yea Freddy Jones has stepped up his game lately, specially in 4th quarter you are correct!

2) Once again you are correct & i agree.. just think how many damn points he would average with his accuracy right now!! 20 FG attempts with his 47% from FG, 49% from 3PT range, SCARY THOUGHT! (somewhere 30 ppg? lets say 40-50 ppg if he takes as many attempts as Kobe & AI :-o)

3) Agree.. *giving credit* :)

4) Im not sure about Saras, this man is extremly unpredictable in each game. He is very talented, but he looks like a 70 year old man right now...

Jose Slaughter
02-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Something I've noticed about Peja is that he can drive right.

I had heard it various scouting reports that he almost always goes left. Not so, that running hook in the lane was sweet, & off a right handed drive.

The improvement of Harrison over the course of the season is simply amazing. I was the anti-Uncle Buck at the last forum party & could not be happier that this kid is really coming thru for us.

Jose Slaughter
02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
I called him out for that a while ago UB, it drives me nuts howhe shoots FT's better at home then he does on the road. I have never seen the numbers, but I bet he shoots 15-18% better at home from the charity stripe.

You were right on the money

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/david_harrison/season_splits.html

26-52 at home for 50%

13-42 on the road for 31%

rexnom
02-27-2006, 02:50 PM

When those two play well, we're going to win. When they don't, we'll lose.

Last night, they both played well.

I can't say enough good things about Harrison's footwork at both ends of the court.

And I can't say enough good things about Granger's mental toughness.

To me, these guys can only grow. Imagine a future where both of them are consitent night in night out? Who says the future isn't bright in Pacer land?

CableKC
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
The box score says that Jack played 30 minutes.
Oh...nevermind...I was going throught the Post Game thread...and oddly enough....there was little mention of SJax.....which ( if you think about it ) is rather odd for us.

I assumed that he wasn't playing since no one mentioned ( much less complained about him ) once. :rolleyes:

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Can you believe I didn't watch this game? This David Harrison fan is ashamed

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
You need to find it.

And Mark Jackson's commentary - he's quite high on David and how he's representing #13 for the Pacers (except from the FT line - and those of you that listened to Marv and Mark probably know which jokes I'm referring to because I re-wound just to hear them again.)

(Then again, the "I got shot before game six, and played game six and game seven before going to the hospital" story about Vince Carter's cramp was also outlandishly funny.)

(Why can't we just replace Al + Clark with Marv + Mark?)

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 08:07 PM
You need to find it.

And Mark Jackson's commentary - he's quite high on David and how he's representing #13 for the Pacers (except from the FT line - and those of you that listened to Marv and Mark probably know which jokes I'm referring to because I re-wound just to hear them again.)

(Then again, the "I got shot before game six, and played game six and game seven before going to the hospital" story about Vince Carter's cramp was also outlandishly funny.)

(Why can't we just replace Al + Clark with Marv + Mark?)

Find it? How?

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 08:11 PM
I don't know...

Find a friend with TiVo that hasn't erased it yet. Not me, you're not going to drive to Chicago just to watch a replay of the game...

Sometimes YES broadcasts replays of the games - I think it may be on again but I'm not sure.

Surely somebody somewhere has a copy you can watch.

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I don't know...

Find a friend with TiVo that hasn't erased it yet. Not me, you're not going to drive to Chicago just to watch a replay of the game...

Sometimes YES broadcasts replays of the games - I think it may be on again but I'm not sure.

Surely somebody somewhere has a copy you can watch.

I'll just be sure to not miss another game like that

I'm sure he'll have many more. :sunshine:

ChicagoJ
02-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Jay, says who?

That was my way of saying "you're not invited".

I kid... I kid...

SoupIsGood
02-27-2006, 08:16 PM
That was my way of saying "you're not invited".

I kid... I kid...

:laugh: