PDA

View Full Version : Garnett ejected for tossing ball into crowd

Frank Slade
02-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Garnett ejected for tossing ball into crowd

February 26, 2006

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett was ejected in the third quarter against Memphis on Sunday for tossing the ball into the stands and accidentally hitting a fan.

Garnett was reacting in frustration after being called for an offensive foul.

"I just tossed it," Garnett said outside Minnesota's locker room before leaving the arena at the start of the fourth quarter. "I didn't even look at where I tossed it. I was just so ... mad."

With Minnesota leading 64-61 with 7:47 left in the quarter, Garnett was called for the foul while driving against Shane Battier on the baseline. The nine-time All-Star then lightly flipped the ball into the stands under the basket, hitting the male fan.

Garnett said he didn't intend to throw the ball into the stands, but rather was trying to get a delay-of-game call.

"By no means was I trying to hit a fan," he said.

Referee Bob Delaney assessed Garnett a technical foul for tossing the ball, and he was automatically ejected because it hit the fan. Afterward, Garnett walked over to the fan to apologize before leaving the court.

Medical personnel examined the fan, who later walked with his family and arena personnel to a back room. The fan declined to comment to the media. His condition wasn't immediately available, although he appeared to be uninjured.

Before leaving the arena, Garnett said he again checked in on the family to apologize.

"I should have had a little more control than that," Garnett said.

The former league MVP had 17 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists. Eddie Griffin replaced Garnett in the lineup.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-timberwolves-garnettejected&prov=ap&type=lgns

Moses
02-26-2006, 08:00 PM
That fan is a little pansy.

There wasn't even any force on the ball to make it hurt..Did you see him? He looked like he was about to cry. I'm sure Garnett will get some BS lawsuit over this. :confused:

J_2_Da_IzzO
02-26-2006, 08:04 PM
He was on his way to a nice triple double there aswell. 17 points, 10 boards and 7 assists in 16 mins is amazing.

8.9_seconds
02-26-2006, 08:20 PM
ESPN reported that he threw it as fast as a softball :rolleyes:

Fool
02-26-2006, 09:36 PM
That's a poor description. Ever watched a girls softball game? They throw that ball fast.

Unclebuck
02-26-2006, 10:12 PM
I saw the play and that guy is a whimp who has $$ signs in his eyes, he's building a case for a lawsuit.

Anthem
02-26-2006, 10:16 PM
That's terrible.

They should trade him.

Trader Joe
02-26-2006, 10:37 PM
If that fan sues him he is going to be disgraced when all of the media comes to KG's defense and starts calling him a pansy,

pizza guy
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
That's terrible.

They should trade him.

:gossip:

No, I wasn't thinking the same thing... :whistle:

McKeyFan
02-27-2006, 12:12 AM
ESPN showed him being carried out on a stretcher. Seriously. This report is incorrect.

(What an idiot.)

Anthem
02-27-2006, 01:21 AM
ESPN showed him being carried out on a stretcher. Seriously. This report is incorrect.

(What an idiot.)
I need more info. I'll take UncleBuck's word over ESPN's any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And since this is Sunday...

N8R
02-27-2006, 02:35 AM
that whole video made me laugh. That guy is a huge tool. what a stupid stupid jerk

Kstat
02-27-2006, 06:54 AM
The fan's clearly looking for a payday.

This is the reason WHY the NBA doesn't want their players throwing basketballs into the stands. It opens the door for crap like this.

Stryder
02-27-2006, 09:13 AM
So, the guy was hit with a basketball and had to be carried out of the stands on a stretcher?

This scenario has "frivolous" lawsuit written all over it.

EDIT: I just went to the ESPN website and checked out the video.

Geeze. Garnett tossed the ball into the stands. It looked like it had very little to no "heat" on it. And the guy acted like he was very, very dazed. And he DID have to be carried out on a gurney/stretcher. What a flippin' drama queen/tool!

rexnom
02-27-2006, 10:19 AM
This whole thing just makes me really mad. It's people like this and like the guy who threw the cup who give the rest of us fans a bad rap sometimes. And I feel bad for KG because he's a great guy too. Stretcher? Really? Even if he had gotten a broken nose, which he didn't, a stretcher wouldn't have been necessary. Christ. Just makes me mad.

Pacersfan46
02-27-2006, 11:11 AM
I might pretend to be hurt, not to sue them, but to make them feel bad enough to let me play some pickup games with them. Wuahahahah

:)

denyfizle
02-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Garnett really needs a fresh new start.