PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Suspended

Pacersfan.
02-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Harrison Suspended One Game For Obscenities Towards Detroit Fans
24th February, 2006 - 4:15 pm
Pacers Press Release - Indiana Pacers center David Harrison has been suspended one game without pay for directing obscenities toward fans, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred with 10:07 remaining in the fourth period of the Pacers 88-83 loss to the Pistons last night at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Harrison will serve his suspension tonight as the Pacers play the Hawks at Conseco Fieldhouse.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39340/20060224/harrison_suspended_one_game_for_obscenities_toward s_detroit_fans/

MagicRat
02-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Harrison Suspended One Game For Obscenities Towards Detroit Fans
24th February, 2006 - 4:15 pm
Pacers Press Release - Indiana Pacers center David Harrison has been suspended one game without pay for directing obscenities toward fans, it was announced today by Stu Jackson, NBA Senior Vice President Basketball Operations.

The incident occurred with 10:07 remaining in the fourth period of the Pacers 88-83 loss to the Pistons last night at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

Harrison will serve his suspension tonight as the Pacers play the Hawks at Conseco Fieldhouse.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39340/20060224/harrison_suspended_one_game_for_obscenities_toward s_detroit_fans/

Dangit.....

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Well, he did do it. Clear as day on the TV. Dropping F-bombs.

But in the playoffs either last year or 2 years ago Rasheed Wallace hit a shot late and kept yelling at the Indiana fans, "Take that, you f@ggots" and " "Take that, you b!tches".

I guess we have some selective enforcement in play here.

FrenchConnection
02-24-2006, 05:47 PM
Well, he did do it. Clear as day on the TV. Dropping F-bombs.

But in the playoffs either last year or 2 years ago Rasheed Wallace hit a shot late and kept yelling at the Indiana fans, "Take that, you f@ggots" and " "Take that, you b!tches".

I guess we have some selective enforcement in play here.

If they suspended Rasheed for this type of behavior, he would only play every other game. Everyone knows that this is the Pistons' time to win, so the league gives them the benefit of the doubt on these types of things.

I HATE THE PISTONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kegboy
02-24-2006, 05:49 PM
I heard Rick scream "*****!!" as clear as day on TV a couple weeks ago, and nothing came of it. In fact, I don't remember anyone ever being suspended unless it was clearly heard on a national broadcast.

waxman
02-24-2006, 05:51 PM
So.... Hulk got suspended for eating a Detroit fan and will be out the rest of the season....

or am i reading too much into that.:D

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, he didn't get suspended for punching that one fellow during the brawl. Now, he gets suspened for something a lot of guys get away with. Both were Detroit fans.

Maybe there's something to that karma thing.

Spicoli
02-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Gotta love the NBA . . . It's FANNNNN-tastic.

:rolleyes:

Lord Helmet
02-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Yeah, Rasheed is allowed to scream, "I told ya'll f*****s, I told ya'll *****es!" at the fans in Conseco, and it's ok.

But hey, we're the bad guys. No one else.

:unimpress

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 06:07 PM
It's different than what Rasheed does. Harrison looked and pointed directly at 1 fan, and started swearing to him/her. Rasheed's is just trash talk like "He can't guard me!", or "I told yall b*tches they can't beat us!". It's not like he's picking out one fan and saying stuff to them. He knows where the line is, unlike some. What Harrison did is far more likely to start something than Rasheed trash talking to the entire arena.

Mushmouth
02-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Ridiculous...

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 06:09 PM
It's different than what Rasheed does. Harrison looked and pointed directly at 1 fan, and started swearing to him/her. Rasheed's is just trash talk like "He can't guard me!" or "Take that b*tches!". It's not like he's picking out one fan and saying stuff to them. He knows where the line is, unlike some.

:confused:

So cussing at several fans is better than cussing at one?

Riiiiight....

DrBadd01
02-24-2006, 06:09 PM
This doesn't surprise me. However, one of these time I wish the league would realize that the Pistons fans get away with murder. Make no mistake about it the Pistons are a great team. Its too bad the majority of the fans haft to be a$$holes.

Pacesetter
02-24-2006, 06:12 PM
It was Detroit fans, he should have gotten a bonus! :console: :D

Hicks
02-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Remembering what Rasheed said to Conseco fans in 2004 (and getting away with it) is what leaves me angry at this.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 06:14 PM
:confused:

So cussing at several fans is better than cussing at one?

Riiiiight....

First of all, Rasheed's is more toward his opponent. And yes, saying "***** you *******", etc a bunch of times to ONE person on the sideline is much worse than saying "I told ya'll *****es", and "He can't guard me" to no one in particular. If you were that one person on the sideline, which would you be more upset about? Which is more likely to cause you to do something stupid? It's obviously the guy singling you out, and threatening you personally. Not just some guy trash talking about his team. I have never once seen Rasheed single out a fan and start swearing at him since he's been in Detroit.

Lord Helmet
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
It's different than what Rasheed does. Harrison looked and pointed directly at 1 fan, and started swearing to him/her. Rasheed's is just trash talk like "He can't guard me!", or "I told yall b*tches they can't beat us!". It's not like he's picking out one fan and saying stuff to them. He knows where the line is, unlike some. What Harrison did is far more likely to start something than Rasheed trash talking to the entire arena.
:sarcasm:

rexnom
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
One note though that we have to respect is that whenever the Pacers visit the Palace you have to be extra careful. It is zero tolerance in a situation like that. If DH did this in SA for example, I'm sure there wouldn't be a suspension.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 06:16 PM
This doesn't surprise me. However, one of these time I wish the league would realize that the Pistons fans get away with murder.

Were you standing next to him or something? How do you know what happend? And BTW, I've been to Conseco for a Pistons game, and I wouldn't be talking about "classy" fans. Or is it fine for Pacer fans to yell obcenities at the Pistons? I don't really care either way, because it happens at every arena, but don't make it sound like the Pistons fans are the only ones who do this.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 06:25 PM
First of all, Rasheed's is more toward his opponent.

no

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 06:35 PM
no
yes

Lord Helmet
02-24-2006, 06:41 PM
First of all, Rasheed's is more toward his opponent.
:shakehead

During the incident in Conseco two years ago, he was yelling at the fans. Anyone with eyes could tell it.

Maybe he normally just talks trash to the other players, but in that incident he yelled at the fans.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 06:47 PM
yes

wrong

Gamble
02-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Hey if you expected a league to make sense i don't know what
you were thinking. The NBA is a joke just like most leagues. ITs all
about money and finding that scape-goat who you can enforce your
ethical rules on. ITs sad and laughable because most people never
call it out for what it is.

Reminds me of NASCAR here of late.

Frank Slade
02-24-2006, 06:52 PM

You do realize your opinion on this is mute, to say nothing on how slanted it is.

Of course you are going to bend over backwards and look through Piston Colored Glasses when it's Rasheed "his holiness" Wallace.

How quickly your take on this would change if Harrison donned the Blue and Red.. oh how the opinions would change if that were the case......:lol:

:unimpress

Moses
02-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Were you standing next to him or something? How do you know what happend? And BTW, I've been to Conseco for a Pistons game, and I wouldn't be talking about "classy" fans. Or is it fine for Pacer fans to yell obcenities at the Pistons? I don't really care either way, because it happens at every arena, but don't make it sound like the Pistons fans are the only ones who do this.
Wow..Don't even try and play it off like the Pistons have a classy bunch of fans. You guys have the most obnoxious fanbase in the NBA easily. Not all Pistons fans are ********..but I don't even want to hear someone try and defend them. Our fans may occasionally curse at players, but at least they don't physically attack them.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 07:04 PM
:shakehead

During the incident in Conseco two years ago, he was yelling at the fans. Anyone with eyes could tell it.

Maybe he normally just talks trash to the other players, but in that incident he yelled at the fans.

What "incident"?? Do you have video, or an article or something?

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow..Don't even try and play it off like the Pistons have a classy bunch of fans. You guys have the most obnoxious fanbase in the NBA easily. Not all Pistons fans are ********..but I don't even want to hear someone try and defend them. Our fans may occasionally curse at players, but at least they don't physically attack them.

Look, I'm not going to defend any fans that did something stupid, but I will say there are EASILY 100s of equally stupid fans in every other arena in the league. It took the "perfect" combination to set it off at the Palace, but by no means is it the only place it could happen. We don't need to get into the whole brawl thing again, because Artest isn't even on your team anymore. I can't picture Peja storming the stands anyways :laugh:

Pistoner
02-24-2006, 07:09 PM

except for that one time when the Pacer fans threw beer at the Knicks.

Lord Helmet
02-24-2006, 07:11 PM
What "incident"?? Do you have video, or an article or something?
I'm talking about Game 2 of the Eastern Conference Finals, two years ago.

The Pistons won and as Rasheed was leaving the court you could hear through the TV him saying, "I told ya'll *****es!" to the Conseco fans.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 07:13 PM

This is rather low-class of you, Moses. I'd expect better from you than mud-slinging. It's not exactly hard to dig up dirt that's happened at Pacer home games, either. It doesn't help anybody to start making insulting generalities about fanbases, because you only get everybody involved.

"Our fans vs your fans?" Come on, that's ridiculous.

As for Harrison, this is post-brawl NBA. If Sheed would say the same thing now, he'd definately get punished. If Harrison said the same stuff 2 years ago, He probably wouldn't.

Shade
02-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Two things **** me off about this:

1) Lack of an established precedent
2) The spin by some Pistons fans trying to defend Sheed, because he's on their team

It must be nice to make up and modify rules on the fly. Now we know where the referees get it from. :rolleyes:

Kstat
02-24-2006, 07:15 PM
It must be nice to make up and modify rules on the fly. Now we know where the referees get it from. :rolleyes:

Careful, Shade, if you wear that violin out, you'll have to buy a new one...

:laugh:

Shade
02-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Careful, Shade, if you wear that violin out, you'll have to buy a new one...

:laugh:

Am I wrong? :tongue:

Btw, Harrison should have known better. And in Detroit of all places. :shakehead

Kstat
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Am I wrong? :tongue:

I just explained it to you.

grace
02-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Well, he didn't get suspended for punching that one fellow during the brawl.

He didn't get suspended then because if he did then the Pacers would have been able to stagger the suspensions. Stern wanted the maximum punishment for us so he didn't suspend Harrison.

I've got a question. Let's say that we'd been playing in Atlanta last night. Would you all still be so pissed off when he got suspended?

Fireball Kid
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
Detroit vs. Indiana

the saga continues..............

Shade
02-24-2006, 08:05 PM
I just explained it to you.

I don't count spin as explanation.

PostArtestEra
02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned how ridiculous this stuff with Harrison is getting. He complains about every call, shoots every time he gets the ball, and showboats every time he does anything decent. One thing that pisses me off in basketball is players being more concerned about themselves than the team and Harrison needs to prove to me that this isn't his philosophy.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 08:09 PM
I don't count spin as explanation.

...and I don't count sour grapes as a legit complaint.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 08:22 PM
If it was described correctly, I think Rasheed should have been suspended for what he did back then too (though I don't remember it/more probably, did not see that game). However, I'm not sure if singling out a fan is better than *****ing fan as a group. You can hear offensive statements towards fans of one or another team every day (from opposing fans more usually, of course, than from opposing players). It's rather usual, you have to live with that. And when someone starts offending you personally, yelling into your face - it might be way more disturbing.

Shade
02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
...and I don't count sour grapes as a legit complaint.

"Oh, but when Sheed does it it's different because [insert spin here]."

The fact that you think it's "sour grapes" just shows you don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't even that upset over the loss. Check my posts from last night. The Pistons played better, and earned the win, without a doubt. But statements like the above really grind my gears.

Of course, I wouldn't really expect you to understand. You have not been anywhere close to on par with struggles as a fan as I and my Pacers bretheren have. Not even close. The Pistons have been living a charmed life the last few seasons. It would be nice to know what it feels like to get the breaks all the damn time. It must feel pretty damn good.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 09:17 PM
"Oh, but when Sheed does it it's different because [insert spin here]."

The fact that you think it's "sour grapes" just shows you don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't even that upset over the loss. Check my posts from last night. The Pistons played better, and earned the win, without a doubt. But statements like the above really grind my gears.

Of course, I wouldn't really expect you to understand. You have not been anywhere close to on par with struggles as a fan as I and my Pacers bretheren have. Not even close. The Pistons have been living a charmed life the last few seasons. It would be nice to know what it feels like to get the breaks all the damn time. It must feel pretty damn good.

Oh, no sour grapes there, nosirree.... :laugh:

The fact that you think it's "sour grapes" just shows you don't know what you're talking about.

THe fact that you called what I said "spin" proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

See, works both ways ;)

And guess what: you can't even COMPREHEND my struggles as a Detroit Lions fan, when EVERY CONCIEVABLE BREAK goes against you. No matter which franchise you compare them to, being a Lions fan is the ultimate in fan frustration. I'd kill for just ONE season like the Colts, in this decade. **** we might literally have a parade if the Lions won 9 games.

Put down the kleenex and grow up. You don't have a monopoly on misery. Be a man and realize life isn't fair.

It's not my fault you REFUSE to agknowledge that the rules are different post- 11/19. You'd prefer to stay in deinal and believe that this is all some sort of NBA-wide conspiracy against Indiana. Fine. Just spare me the pity-party, please.

Stryder
02-24-2006, 09:21 PM
What Kstat said is true, Sheed just had good timing, if he were to do the same thing after 11/19 I would assume he will get a suspension as well...

There is the key part that EVERYONE should read, but it seems MOST are missing the point. This is a post-11/19 brawl incident. The rules have changed.

I would have no doubt that if Rasheed was overheard/seen doing the same thing now, that he would be given a suspension...

grace
02-24-2006, 09:32 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned how ridiculous this stuff with Harrison is getting. He complains about every call, shoots every time he gets the ball, and showboats every time he does anything decent. One thing that pisses me off in basketball is players being more concerned about themselves than the team and Harrison needs to prove to me that this isn't his philosophy.

People don't talk about it because a lot of the players do it. When I first saw that Harrison was suspended I figured Rick did it because he thinks David needs a game to sit and cool off.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 09:33 PM
It's one thing to get emotional, but it's another to let it negatively affect your game, and Harrison has a big problem with that. It only invites more crap to go against you, there's a snowball effect.

Nobody ever tries to mess with Sheed anymore, because he gets better when he gets ticked off. Harrison clearly gets worse, and it only invites more problems.

Moses
02-24-2006, 09:59 PM
This is rather low-class of you, Moses. I'd expect better from you than mud-slinging. It's not exactly hard to dig up dirt that's happened at Pacer home games, either. It doesn't help anybody to start making insulting generalities about fanbases, because you only get everybody involved.

"Our fans vs your fans?" Come on, that's ridiculous.

As for Harrison, this is post-brawl NBA. If Sheed would say the same thing now, he'd definately get punished. If Harrison said the same stuff 2 years ago, He probably wouldn't.
Eh, I was a bit upset when I logged on and when I saw what he had said I couldn't help but say something like that. But yeah, players curse on a regular basis in games..but it doesn't help when the camera was on David when he said it.

Shade
02-24-2006, 10:03 PM
Oh, no sour grapes there, nosirree.... :laugh:

THe fact that you called what I said "spin" proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

See, works both ways ;)

And guess what: you can't even COMPREHEND my struggles as a Detroit Lions fan, when EVERY CONCIEVABLE BREAK goes against you. No matter which franchise you compare them to, being a Lions fan is the ultimate in fan frustration. I'd kill for just ONE season like the Colts, in this decade. **** we might literally have a parade if the Lions won 9 games.

Put down the kleenex and grow up. You don't have a monopoly on misery. Be a man and realize life isn't fair.

It's not my fault you REFUSE to agknowledge that the rules are different post- 11/19. You'd prefer to stay in deinal and believe that this is all some sort of NBA-wide conspiracy against Indiana. Fine. Just spare me the pity-party, please.

Tell 'ya what; we'll trade you the Colts for the Pistons. :tongue:

Trust me, I know life isn't fair. But as a sports fan, you haven't had to endure what we have, especially the last few years. It's easy to pick and prod when you're on top.

And I never brought up a "conspiracy," you just did. I simply said the Pistons get the breaks (which they do). The Pacers don't. It's frustrating as hell. When to comes to fortune, these two teams are polar opposites.

As for the rules being different, see, that's the thing; there is no concrete rule. Just like there wasn't for the suspensions handed out last year. The league just does whatever the hell they want to do at any given moment. And though that's their prerogative, I don't have to like it or agree with it.

I'm not absolving Harrison of blame. It was a really stupid thing to do. I was mostly responding to FreshPrince's ridiculous defense of Sheed. But then you jumped in and made it about something completely different... :rolleyes:

denyfizle
02-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Man!!! Rick Carlisle should start standing up for DH. I mean, yeah I get it why he pulls him out after a TECH and all that and I actually agree with him most of the time. But I just hate it that he didn't even stand up for DH when it was clear- and has been clear all season- that the refs are really hot on David. Yeah he's a firecracker but all I want is for Rick to at least don't just let the officials get away with their calls against David. It was obvious, hella obvious those calls were BS! If those calls were really right, Shaq would foul out in the first quarter every single game!!! This is one of those times you wish Mark Cuban owned the Pacers for a day.

317Kim
02-24-2006, 10:28 PM
:kickcan: Hulk!

That was kind of hurting us tonight. Scot and Jeff have 3 and 4 fouls.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 11:41 PM

I actually agree with that

brichard
02-25-2006, 12:30 AM
but it doesn't help when the camera was on David when he said it.

And this my friends is why David gets the suspension.

1. He clearly says something derogatory.

2. He is caught point blank on camera saying it.

3. This is Indiana vs. Detroit in Detroit of all places. If there was ever an arena to keep your piehole shut, this is the one if you are a Pacer.

4. David was one of the Pacers who was a key player in the worst black eye for the NBA in years.

So, it is really tough to say that David didn't deserve the suspension. He could at least pull a Kobe and cover his mouth while yelling. Although he should have learned something after last year.

However, I am in agreement that Sheed should get tossed more frequently. He is with out a doubt the most demonstrative player in the league when called for a foul. Anybody else that acted like he does would be out of the game so fast that there head would spin. What is sad is that now Ben does it as well.

SoupIsGood
02-25-2006, 12:41 AM
However, I am in agreement that Sheed should get tossed more frequently. He is with out a doubt the most demonstrative player in the league when called for a foul. Anybody else that acted like he does would be out of the game so fast that there head would spin. What is sad is that now Ben does it as well.

Agreed

Shade
02-25-2006, 12:51 AM
And this my friends is why David gets the suspension.

1. He clearly says something derogatory.

2. He is caught point blank on camera saying it.

3. This is Indiana vs. Detroit in Detroit of all places. If there was ever an arena to keep your piehole shut, this is the one if you are a Pacer.

4. David was one of the Pacers who was a key player in the worst black eye for the NBA in years.

So, it is really tough to say that David didn't deserve the suspension. He could at least pull a Kobe and cover his mouth while yelling. Although he should have learned something after last year.

Good post. :nod:

D-BONE
02-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Well, hopefully DH will get a message from this. Regardless of what really happened/was said, he's racking up a big string of Ts the past five or six games. Yeah, he gets hosed a lot, but this is like him regressing back to his picture punching behavior. We need him to progress mentally along with his play. He's gotta not let his emotions get the better of him cause we need him on the court.

McKeyFan
02-25-2006, 02:37 AM
What bothers me is that suspension only come, apparently, when its on national TV (or TNT). Shouldn't the rule be that you get suspended regardless of the broadcast?

Doesn't seem right, otherwise.

Raskolnikov
02-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Well, hopefully DH will get a message from this. Regardless of what really happened/was said, he's racking up a big string of Ts the past five or six games. Yeah, he gets hosed a lot, but this is like him regressing back to his picture punching behavior. We need him to progress mentally along with his play. He's gotta not let his emotions get the better of him cause we need him on the court.
Yes!

PacerMan
02-25-2006, 12:07 PM

Yeh, Rashweed is a flaming ******* to the whole crowd and that's ok.
What a dick.

Knucklehead Warrior
02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Please don't quote people I have on IGNORE.
Thank you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

grace
02-25-2006, 02:49 PM
Man!!! Rick Carlisle should start standing up for DH. I mean, yeah I get it why he pulls him out after a TECH and all that and I actually agree with him most of the time. But I just hate it that he didn't even stand up for DH when it was clear- and has been clear all season- that the refs are really hot on David. Yeah he's a firecracker but all I want is for Rick to at least don't just let the officials get away with their calls against David. It was obvious, hella obvious those calls were BS! If those calls were really right, Shaq would foul out in the first quarter every single game!!! This is one of those times you wish Mark Cuban owned the Pacers for a day.

Rick stands up for his players most of the time. If he's reluctant to do it now it's because Mike Brown isn't here to take his place once he gets tossed. Do you really want Kevin O'Neil running the team after Rick gets ejected? :zip:

[Note to Mr. O'Neil: If you're lurking please take the above statement with the sense of humor in which it was intended. On the other hand, if you're not lurking...]

grace
02-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Please don't quote people I have on IGNORE.
Thank you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I feel your pain. If I made that request then no one would be posting.

Shade
02-25-2006, 11:46 PM
Can you read this post? :-p

Thanks. I was wondering what grace said. :devil:

Pig Nash
02-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Being a Lion's fan is not the ultimate in fast frustration. At least you know they're going to suck. Not constantly ripping your heart out and stomping on it.

Kstat
02-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Being a Lion's fan is not the ultimate in fast frustration. At least you know they're going to suck. Not constantly ripping your heart out and stomping on it.

Oh, what I'd give for just one lions season like that....

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Oh, what I'd give for just one lions season like that....

Yep, having a team that actually gets your hopes up is A LOT better than nothing. Anticipation is a good part of the fun.

Pig Nash
02-26-2006, 02:23 PM
But it just leaves you feeling worse than before.

It's like going home with a really really really hot woman, and then figuring out she's a eunuch or something. That whole no payoff thing kills.

:sigh: