PDA

View Full Version : JO's comments after the game

brichard
02-24-2006, 01:36 PM
"I respect the Pistons, I respect what they've got going on over there, but I feel good about my team. I feel good about my team against anyone, with a healthy team. You can say what you want to say about this game, we had enough players to win - there are no excuses."
"I feel like when we get myself back, when we get Austin Croshere back, when we get Jamaal Tinsley back, we're going to be right there. Take any team and take two stars out of their lineup and tell me what you get. Take Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups and then tell me what you've got. That's just the way it is. Those are the facts."

Man, I just don't like these types of comments. I'm pretty sure that we had all three of those guys against the Pistons a couple of years in a row and still got our clocks cleaned. Yes our guys were injured, but whoever suits up... that is your team. I just don't like excuses.

I'm not asking JO to bow down and kiss Detroits butt, but in the media I wish he would just acknowledge and respect the Pistons. If you want to show me that you are as good as Detroit, prove it with your play and not your mouth. I like JO, but this kind of thing drives me crazy.

This is basically the same team that beat Detroit not long ago, so what has changed? They played better last night and we played worse. There is nothing wrong with stating that, but please keep the excuses at bay.

BluBlood
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I have absolutely no problem with his statement. As a matter of fact, I agree with him 100%.

Confident? Check.

Anxious to get back on the court? Check.

Showing support for his teammates? Check.

He even said "I respect the Pistons, I respect what they've got going on over there..."

Whats the problem, seriously?

PacerMan
02-24-2006, 01:44 PM
"I respect the Pistons, I respect what they've got going on over there, but I feel good about my team. I feel good about my team against anyone, with a healthy team. You can say what you want to say about this game, we had enough players to win - there are no excuses."
"I feel like when we get myself back, when we get Austin Croshere back, when we get Jamaal Tinsley back, we're going to be right there. Take any team and take two stars out of their lineup and tell me what you get. Take Rasheed Wallace and Chauncey Billups and then tell me what you've got. That's just the way it is. Those are the facts."

Man, I just don't like these types of comments. I'm pretty sure that we had all three of those guys against the Pistons a couple of years in a row and still got our clocks cleaned. Yes our guys were injured, but whoever suits up... that is your team. I just don't like excuses.

I'm not asking JO to bow down and kiss Detroits butt, but in the media I wish he would just acknowledge and respect the Pistons. If you want to show me that you are as good as Detroit, prove it with your play and not your mouth. I like JO, but this kind of thing drives me crazy.

This is basically the same team that beat Detroit not long ago, so what has changed? They played better last night and we played worse. There is nothing wrong with stating that, but please keep the excuses at bay.

You might not like it, but he's telling the truth. And no, they didn't clean our clocks 2 years ago, even though we Freddie, Jermaine and Jeff WERE all hobbled.
I have no problem with anything he said.
What changed is that Detroit didn't take us for granted and they aren't still in the slump they were then.
Detroit has been incredibly lucky when it comes to injuries. Lose Ben or Rashweed or their pg to an injury and you'll see that.

Moses
02-24-2006, 01:46 PM

Are you the same guy who thought that Sarunas yelling at Danny was a serious situation?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comments. It actually gives me alot of hope and it's nice to hear that our star player beleives that our team will be at the top of the east once he comes back. And his points are valid..What happens if you take Chauncey and Sheed out? They wouldn't be doing half as good as we are at the moment so I really don't see why it bothers you. The man is speaking the truth and telling people how he feels about his team. Maybe it's a way to get our guys hyped up, Kind of like the Guaransheeds.

Moses
02-24-2006, 01:47 PM
You might not like it, but he's telling the truth. And no, they didn't clean our clocks 2 years ago, even though we Freddie, Jermaine and Jeff WERE all hobbled.
I have no problem with anything he said.
What changed is that Detroit didn't take us for granted and they aren't still in the slump they were then.
Detroit has been incredibly lucky when it comes to injuries. Lose Ben or Rashweed or their pg to an injury and you'll see that.
Let's not forget the most important player at the time was playing on one foot. Jamal Tinsley.

brichard
02-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Well, he says the right things in the first paragraph, but IMO he totally dismisses it in the second paragraph. To paraphrase him he seems to be saying "We can beat them when we are healthy."

Now, in general I would not have a problem with a player saying that as long as he had a history of backing it up. But JO really never has had that tendency. If Rasheed says they are going to win a game, you can chalk it up as a "W." Historically JO's predictions have been nothing more then lip service.

He could have even added that the team would be stronger with Croshere and him coming back, and I'm okay with that. But when he starts saying "Where would Detroit be without one of their star players," that is the part of his comments that I think would be better left unsaid.

brichard
02-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Let me contrast for you what I think would be a more appropriate response.

"One thing about the Indiana Pacers is that we don't make excuses," Johnson said. "When we beat them, they were like it was their fourth game in five nights and all that kind of (expletive.) We don't do that; they just beat our (expletive). That's it. There's no other way to put it."

I have a much greater respect for somebody to take ownership and admit a loss. AJ said he wasn't going to use any excuses and he didn't. JO said he wasn't going to use any excuses, and a paragraph later he used the excuse of injuries. I'm not looking for him to say "We will never beat the Pistons," but take your lumps and move on, to me that is a sign of leadership and character.

cramerica
02-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I actually liked his comments alot as well. He said basically what I've been saying all morning. I'm not sure what the problem is. I am anxious for him to get back out there.

Lithfan
02-24-2006, 02:20 PM

What I don't like in JO words are three things:
1. He is saying healthy team is much better and it is not shy though true..
2. He is making excuses..
3. He sounds like a retarded kid..., sorry Jermaniac, just don't say the same thing about Sarunas :laugh:

denyfizle
02-24-2006, 02:31 PM

Why don't you like this comment? The one JO wanting to face the Pistons in the 1st round was the one I disliked. But then again, I think this is just JO's way of telling the world that he is the leader of the Indiana Pacers and that he is confident with the people he's going to war with. Yes the Pistons are a great team, but we are the one team in the NBA that the Pistons despise/respect (both are bread in the same stable) as much as we do them. Both teams know each other like the back of their hands.

To an extent I like JO's comments because it shows confidence and optimism. You can't fire up the rivalry any more, so I really don't think there's anything either player from each team could say to pump up the other more than they already are to beat the crap out of each other (figuratively) in a basketball game. It's just a matter of whether JO's mouth is writing checks his body can't cash. I'd rather hear this stuff from him when he's healthy, banging bodies with the Wallace boys and giving his blood, sweat and tears to beat the Pz. I just hope by saying the stuff he's said, it'd fuel his pride to make sure he doesn't do anything less.

Evan_The_Dude
02-24-2006, 02:32 PM
Jermaine is right, and I'm glad he didn't sugar coat anything with his statement. He said what he said, it's over and done with.

brichard
02-24-2006, 02:45 PM
Why don't you like this comment?

I don't like it b/c I've heard it before.

JO just doesn't do real when he gets involved with a team emotionally. Rasheed Wallace owns him and gets in his head early and often. In order for things to change for Jermaine, he is going to have to change. My first piece of advice for him is to keep is lips closed and the basket full.

People used to argue with Reggie and I never understood why. Why get a guy to play at a level 10 by verbally sparring with him? Some people raise their game with trash talk and others games go south. When JO starts flexing things go bad. We were beaten by the Pistons when we were healthy and when we were not. We've beaten them with JO and without. Just leave it at that and play, that's all I'm saying.

BillS
02-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Why, yes, in the alternate dimension Jermaine said:

"Detroit is the greatest team in the universe and it shrivels my weewee to even consider playing them again. If the Pacers had Kobe Bryant and Shaq we still would have no hope of measuring up.

"When Jamaal and I get back on the team, we've already planned to fake whatever injuries it takes so we don't have to play these guys. It's pretty clear that I'm the worst player on the team, except maybe for JT, so this was the best chance the Pacers had to beat the Pistons. At a team meeting, we all decided to just give up because we can't beat the Pistons. Me, I'm hoping we can hold our own against the injured guys on the Detroit roster when we play them next, because it is pretty clear that all other teams in the NBA are great when their starters are injured or benched.

"By the way, could you please end this interview before the team bus leaves? I want to go raid the Pistons' locker room for some Wallace jock straps."

brichard
02-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Jermaine is right, and I'm glad he didn't sugar coat anything with his statement. He said what he said, it's over and done with.

Sugar coating had nothing to do with it. Did AJ's comments seem sugar coated to you?

Shade
02-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Yeesh. As if we haven't had more than enough controversy the last few seasons, we have to create some more out of nothing.

D-BONE
02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
The postgame comments posted here don't bother me. I think they show confidence in a diplomatic way. Here's what I said in another post about the prior ones about wanting Detroit in the 1st round though:

Also, I know it's bravado and maybe some find it entertaining, but can JO just stop calling out the Pistons so much about the rivalry and wanting to play them and this and that. Sure, we've taken them to 7 games a few times, but face it, they still own us. IMO that's a good reason to just be humble otherwise and then just let all the frustration or competitiveness or whatever out on the court. Let the play do the talking. If we ever overcome them then the right is earned to talk. Gotta walk the walk as they say.

So as far as that I want em in the 1st round stuff, I agree, brichard. I also recognize someone probably baited him w/ their question, but he should be able to deal w/ that. Also, thanks NAPTOWN BOUND for setting me straight that there were no game sevens, only sixes I think! Whoops! Ol' memory just ain't what it used to be.

brichard
02-24-2006, 03:35 PM
Yeesh. As if we haven't had more than enough controversy the last few seasons, we have to create some more out of nothing.

This isn't controversy, it is just my opinion that JO still has not changed in regards to how he talks to the media.

I don't mind bravado. I mean who doesn't like it when somebody like Ali predicts a third round knock out and does it. Or when Larry Bird tells Xavier McDaniel he is going to score on him after a timeout, points out where he is going to do it, and then executes. I love that stuff!

A leader takes credit for losing and gives credit for winning to his teammates. He never makes excuses after a loss but accepts responsibility.

bulldog
02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
This is great.
After years of having actual controversy, we have officially moved to the "our team is playing ok and I can't wait till the postseason so I have to s*** up or make big deals out of nothing to keep entertained" phase. Sarunas punched Granger? JO called out the whole city of Detroit? Damn straight. Here's one for you: I heard on the radio that Stephen Jackson might be related to Bin Laden.
It's times like this I rejoice Artesticle (props to whoever came up with that) is gone.

waxman
02-24-2006, 03:39 PM

No doubt... .:applaud:

Raskolnikov
02-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Sugar coating had nothing to do with it. Did AJ's comments seem sugar coated to you?
What did AJ say?

EDIT: sorry, just saw your earlier post.

Raskolnikov
02-24-2006, 03:45 PM
Why, yes, in the alternate dimension Jermaine said:

"Detroit is the greatest team in the universe and it shrivels my weewee to even consider playing them again. If the Pacers had Kobe Bryant and Shaq we still would have no hope of measuring up.

"When Jamaal and I get back on the team, we've already planned to fake whatever injuries it takes so we don't have to play these guys. It's pretty clear that I'm the worst player on the team, except maybe for JT, so this was the best chance the Pacers had to beat the Pistons. At a team meeting, we all decided to just give up because we can't beat the Pistons. Me, I'm hoping we can hold our own against the injured guys on the Detroit roster when we play them next, because it is pretty clear that all other teams in the NBA are great when their starters are injured or benched.

"By the way, could you please end this interview before the team bus leaves? I want to go raid the Pistons' locker room for some Wallace jock straps."
It would be so funny if he actually said that.

Well, funny... and not funny too of course.

Fireball Kid
02-24-2006, 03:47 PM
brichard, I think I know where your coming from. Jermaine has always had a big mouth, and that is something that us fans have always had to deal with. But he believes that the potential of this team, when healthy, is good enough to be at least the second best team in the Eastern Conference.

The truth is, as of now, we lack a low-post threat and a ballhandler who can penetrate through the defense.

brichard
02-24-2006, 03:48 PM
This is great.
After years of having actual controversy, we have officially moved to the "our team is playing ok and I can't wait till the postseason so I have to s*** up or make big deals out of nothing to keep entertained" phase. Sarunas punched Granger? JO called out the whole city of Detroit? Damn straight. Here's one for you: I heard on the radio that Stephen Jackson might be related to Bin Laden.
It's times like this I rejoice Artesticle (props to whoever came up with that) is gone.

Where have I stated that we have a controversy? I laugh out loud each time I read this in the thread.

JO saying what he said does not qualify as a controversy. However, it does mean that he is the same old JO writing checks with his mouth. If and when we ever get healthy and we lose, what will the excuse then be?

travmil
02-24-2006, 03:53 PM
brichard, excuse me, but what a load of CRAP!

JO didn't say anything at all controversial. He stated nothing but the truth. He stated that he respected the Pistons, and that when healthy, the Pacers CAN (not WILL) beat them. All true. He didn't "predict" anything as you suggested. He merely stated that when healthy, he likes his chances, while acknowledging that Detroit is a great team that he respects. There's absolutely NOTHING there that's worthy of calling out, and you need to let it go.

[/rant]

brichard
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
brichard, excuse me, but what a load of CRAP!

Look, you are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong. :cool:

You come and talk to me after the playoffs and we'll see if this is "a load of crap" or prophetic. I've got history on my side, but I hope JO proves me wrong.

"Let's see how Detroit plays without Chauncey" is as whiny as saying "We lost to the Pacers b/c we just played 4 games in 5 nights."

It is whiny, it is annoying, and most importantly it is unnecessary.

BoomBaby31
02-24-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't take it offensive what JO said, I think he was meaning we can beat them, and he feels good about our team where it is at. He is meaning that when we get healthy the pistons are going to have problems with us. I feel when/if we do get healthy the league is going to be SHOCKED by how good we are. Detroit's starting five are great but, past the starting five they don't have a lot of depth (near none). If you notice the starting 5 play nearly the entire game and if any 1 of them get in foul trouble early they usually lose. They even lost against the Hawks when Billups was in foul trouble early. Our starting 5 MAY not be as good but, they aren't far behind the talent. But, our bench is WAY WAY WAY more deep then theirs. When we get healthy I truly think the NBA is going to be suprised how good we are, and wouldn't be shocked if we suprise the nation taking out the Pistons starting the real rivalry.

brichard
02-24-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't take it offensive what JO said, I think he was meaning we can beat them, and he feels good about our team where it is at. He is meaning that when we get healthy the pistons are going to have problems with us. I feel when/if we do get healthy the league is going to be SHOCKED by how good we are. Detroit's starting five are great but, past the starting five they don't have a lot of depth (near none). If you notice the starting 5 play nearly the entire game and if any 1 of them get in foul trouble early they usually lose. They even lost against the Hawks when Billups was in foul trouble early. Our starting 5 MAY not be as good but, they aren't far behind the talent. But, our bench is WAY WAY WAY more deep then theirs. When we get healthy I truly think the NBA is going to be suprised how good we are, and wouldn't be shocked if we suprise the nation taking out the Pistons starting the real rivalry.

I've fooled myself with those same feelings over the past couple of years only to have my eyes opened. Depth is great for having a team make the playoffs, but if you actually want to win in the post season... I'd trade depth for Detroits starting 5 every time. Those guys are durable enough to play big minutes in the playoffs and it works for them.

The other thing that people are conveniently forgetting is the difference between regular season and playoff basketball. If you play in the playoffs the refs swallow the whistles more. Things get more physical and you have got to play with pressure. You have to have those guys who can make a money shot (Hamilton, Billups, Sheed) when you need it.

Who is better built for playoff basketball than Detroit? I just can't think of many teams who are.

Anything can happen and I'm always hopeful the Pacers can turn it around. But for us to beat Detroit we are going to have to play out of our minds and they are going to have to have some off nights.

Bball
02-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Those comments by JO are absolutely uncalled for and a sign of troubles to come. You cannot talk that way and not expect to make problems for everyone involved. Just the way he said ".... "

Uhhhh wait a minute... Am I missing something? I don't see anything wrong with what JO said. :confused:

-Bball

brichard
02-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Those comments by JO are absolutely uncalled for and a sign of troubles to come. You cannot talk that way and not expect to make problems for everyone involved. Just the way he said ".... "

Uhhhh wait a minute... Am I missing something? I don't see anything wrong with what JO said. :confused:

-Bball

That does it, if Bball thinks JO's comments are okay, then clearly I've made an error. I'm actually not saying this to be sarcastic, b/c I would actually think that somebody like Bball would have seen the same thing.

Apologies to all who have read this and obviously I am seeing something that isn't there.

:cheers:

Fool
02-24-2006, 05:19 PM
I've got no problem understanding why you think AJ's comments are better than Jermaine's. I even agree with your statement (particularly since JO has made similar statements before).

That probably doesn't help considering the team I root for.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 07:31 PM
They even lost against the Hawks when Billups was in foul trouble early.

We lost to the HAwks? The HAWKS????

Wow, what kind of crappy team loses to the Hawks? That's Horrible, Man! HOOOOOORIBLE!. ;)

Jermaniac
02-25-2006, 12:52 PM

-Bball
I saw this post, went and took a shower, came back to see if I wasnt going crazy and its still here. Wow Bball defended Jermaine.