PDA

View Full Version : Darko is already depressed with Orlando

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 11:52 AM
It does not appear he has a lot of patience left..

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/13946223.htm

Milicic blames everyone but himself for his shortcomings

BY DREW SHARP

Detroit Free Press

<!-- begin body-content -->ORLANDO, Fla. - Four days into a fresh opportunity at redemption, and Darko Milicic is already sulking. The name on the uniform is different, but the seat at the end of the bench hasn't changed.
He doesn't get it. And he probably never will.
He can't even play on a team that has given up hope on the season.
"I didn't come here to sit on the bench," Milicic said Thursday after the Orlando Magic's practice. "I tell myself that everything will be fine here, but right now, nothing has changed. I want to play. I need to play. I learn nothing sitting on the bench."
Nothing has changed. Darko still blames other factors for his inactivity. He eagerly embraced his emancipation from the Pistons, somehow convincing himself that liberation from his self-described "nightmare" would immediately register into consistent playing time with the Magic.
But Darko didn't play one second in his second game with the Magic, Wednesday at New Jersey.
"You have to ask them why," Darko said of the coaches.
Magic coach Brian Hill offered the same refrain that grew age lines in Detroit the last three years. Darko has "tremendous upside," Hill said, but he has to "learn his new surroundings" and grow comfortable with the situation.
In other words, he needs to wake up.
But the Magic soon will discover what the Pistons reluctantly learned before they traded him last week. Darko has an unyielding sense of entitlement that will prevent him from fully taking advantage of his physical gifts. He still equates playing time with something gift-wrapped under a Christmas tree.
"There's no disputing the kid's skill level," Hill said.
The coach gave Milicic one-on-one tutelage Thursday, initially letting the 7-footer rain threes with unconscious consistency, then schooling him on the low block. Once again, there was the liquid ease in which Darko flowed off his pivot, slamming the ball home or gently kissing it off the glass.
And once again came amazement from observers.
How could the Pistons not find even a little room for somebody of this much potential?
But those who caught the solo show during Darko's first workout in his new home will come to understand that those skills diminish in a five-on-five setting.
It's time for Darko to grow up, sack up and maybe wise up. He still holds a grudge against the Pistons for how he thinks they treated him.
"I was pissed," he said. "It was always the same story, same story. They told me to be ready, and I was. They told me to have a good preseason, and I did. But my playing time went to nothing. They didn't want me, so I needed to leave."
But was his time in Detroit really "a nightmare," as he called it this week before he played his first game with the Magic?
Milicic, 20, found freedom and riches he never could have envisioned as a kid in war-torn Serbia and Montenegro.
"War is bad, but it's something that is out of your control," he said. "Basketball is something that you can control, and when it didn't work out like I had wanted, it became a bad experience. I just want to play basketball and have fun." The Pistons "didn't give me that chance."
If anything, Darko's problem is that he has become too Americanized.
A concern remains that Milicic lacks motivation to push himself beyond the fruits already won from being the second overall pick in the 2003 draft. It's still easier to blame somebody else for his shortcomings.
Isn't there a local law on the books prohibiting the Magic from engaging in a business deal with Joe Dumars? Orlando hasn't recovered from the less-than-minimal return on its seven-year, $98 million investment in Grant Hill in 2000. The sign-and-trade deal involving Hill gave the Pistons the backbone of their championship revival - Ben Wallace.
But some people in Orlando think that vengeance is finally theirs, fleecing the Pistons of an unrefined talent they ruined solely by neglect.
Sounds like the Magic Kingdom has been sniffing Tinker Bell's pixie dust.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 11:55 AM
The most surprising thing is that only 2 Orlando games have taken place since his arrival. He played 4 minutes in one of them, and was not registered for the 2nd.

I was surprised to hear that from him - firstly, most probably he does not know Orlando's offence well enough yet. Secondly, Orlando's offence was supposed to change with him, which would probably have taken the rest of this season. Thirdly, even Orlando's coach publicly said after the first game that Darko will play much more as the year progresses.

That player must be in some psychological crisis. I was never a huge proponent of young Europeans coming to NBA - not only it stops their developement, it changes their attitude as well.

Shade
02-24-2006, 11:58 AM
B-U-S-T

Fool
02-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Orlando fans are saying that the quote about "not coming here to sit the bench" is out of context and not actually about his games with the Magic.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
Orlando fans are saying that the quote about "not coming here to sit the bench" is out of context and not actually about his games with the Magic.

I'll gladly believe that. It was surprising to read all this.

sweabs
02-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Darko has "tremendous upside," Hill said, but he has to "learn his new surroundings" and grow comfortable with the situation.
In other words, he needs to wake up.

Actually, I'll take this at face value. I don't imagine he has learned the plays and I doubt he has become that acquainted with his guys yet. When he was traded to the Magic, I didn't expect them to start playing him 40 minutes a night right away, as you have to work yourself into a new situation and that takes some time.

I think you need to consider the source on this one.

And WTF is up with the "Americanized" *****. That's stupid.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I looked through Orlando's forums on this, and it confirms Fool's words. (you should change your nick, because now I feel like I'm offending you:)

Apparently, the article was written by taking out of context what Darko and Bob Hill said during a TV show. Fans were calling and asking why Darko is not playing, and Bob Hill said he has to learn plays; it was not a form criticism or answer to Darko. The words "he needs to wake up" were written by the writer; Bob Hill did not say anything like that. During the show, Darko did say about not playing enough, but he was refering to Detroit's period, not Orlando's.

EDIT: Brian Hill, not Bob Hill.

Pistoner
02-24-2006, 12:24 PM
B-U-S-T

Worst Dumars decision: Drafting Milicic

Best Dumars Decision: Trading Milicic for a 1st rounder. Hopefully, Orlando sucks for a few more years and it is a good pick.

grace
02-24-2006, 01:01 PM
When I saw the article was written by Drew Sharp I didn't even bother to read it. It doesn't surprise me a bit that he took something out of context and ran with it.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Darko is a bust in Orlando too.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Darko is a punk. That's all there is to it.

McClintic Sphere
02-24-2006, 01:29 PM
Who do Piston's fans hang around the 4th quarter to see now? Benny was a better pick than Danko.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 01:48 PM
Actually, I'll take this at face value. I don't imagine he has learned the plays and I doubt he has become that acquainted with his guys yet. When he was traded to the Magic, I didn't expect them to start playing him 40 minutes a night right away, as you have to work yourself into a new situation and that takes some time.

Arroyo played 27 minutes against the Nets, and he's a POINT GUARD. A position that requires the player to know the system a lot more than Darko would have to.

Also consider the fact that after they played the Cavs (before the NJ game), the Magic coach said that the 4 minutes he played during that game would be the lowest he plays all season. Then he follows it up with a DNP. Makes you wonder what he saw during practice.

Young
02-24-2006, 02:07 PM
I can't blame Darko for being frustrated.

Everyone raves about his practice play and then he never gets a chance to show it. Hill needs to just throw him right out there for a good 20 minuates, get him involed in the offense, and let this kid prove what he can do. Tell Darko, "Alright kid, you want playing time, here you go. You got it. Now it is up to you to show everyone what you got." Put some pressure on him. Playing him 4 minuates and not playing him is not good. Give him some confidence! Let him be in the regular rotation. Even if he does suck, it is not like Orlando is going anywhere this season.

Darko may not give max effort during practice, and he might not be the most optomistic guy around but look at his situation. He was supposed to be a 4 or 5 year project in Detroit and they traded him after 2 1/2 seasons and he is traded to a team that he should be able to get his feet wet and the first two games there he plays 4 minuates. I don't know what his attitude is like or how his effort is in practice, but I can understand how it would be down if you think about his situation. He has taken a good amount of heat unfairly and the thing is that he hasn't got a chance to show what he can do. It really isn't his fault that he isn't living up to his potentiol in the first few years whenever he wasn't expected to when he was drafted.

Fool
02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
It should be noted that Orlando is thinner at PG then in the front court and that Arroyo has been a starter before so the minute comparison between he and Darko might not be all that meaningful.

It should also be noted that the claim of Sharp taking that quote out of context is just speculation as far as I know.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 03:49 PM
It should be noted that Orlando is thinner at PG then in the front court and that Arroyo has been a starter before so the minute comparison between he and Darko might not be all that meaningful.

OK, so are we going to hear the "playing behind a stacked frontcourt" thing again? You know, Pat "the beast" Garrity, and Mario Kasun. :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm sure that Chuck Nevitt and Bruno Sundov aren't getting any PT these days either.

Maybe Darko will join them in the dictionary under "7' tall NBA busts"

sweabs
02-24-2006, 04:12 PM

Thanks.

Arroyo has Dooling in front of him...no one else.

Right now, yeah the "beast" Kasun and Garrity know the system better than Darko at this point. It's probably tough for him to grasp it right away at 20 years old.

Fool
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Who do Piston's fans hang around the 4th quarter to see now? Benny was a better pick than Danko.

Thats a whole different debate that needs to consider costs to the teams, which brings up BM (which is officially outlawed here right?), and needs to take into acount what the Pistons get in the pick they traded Darko for. Either way, its definately true that neither picked worked out all that well.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 04:25 PM
If he can't learn something playing with the Pistons, then he'll never learn anything.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 05:26 PM
He's only been there a little bit. NOt a bust yet.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 06:09 PM
He's got all the ability on the world. His problem is he's incredibly immature (even for his age), and he has no concept of hard work.

To be fair, Drew Sharp is perhaps my least-respected columnist on earth. He's a venom-peddler extrodinaire. My feelings about Darko have nothing to do with his article.

Outlaw
02-24-2006, 06:12 PM
umm...that is Brian Hill not Bob Hill fella's. Bob Hill is Coach of the Sonics.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, Darko is finally getting some of his promissed time with the Magic today and averaging a point and a half per minute thus far:)
And Arroyo appears to be loved in Orlando. Fans met him with huge ovations.

Kstat
02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Darko had 4 points, but got chewed out by Brian Hill because he misssed about 25 defensive assignments....

par for the course with Darko.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 08:10 PM
He's back in. There lead was vasted right after they replaced Darko with Garrity. They did replace Dwight almost at that moment too, however:)

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 08:13 PM
6 pts, 1 reb, 1 block, 2/2 FG, 2/2 FT in 10 minutes so far... Not bad, not bad...

Jermaniac
02-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Time to go back to being a bench play for Hemofarm

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Hemofarm is a very very poor club. They can't pay 100 000 dollars for a minute.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Some numbers from Orlando - Seattle game:
Orlando 102, Seattle 89
Arroyo 18 pt, 7/11 FG, 3/3 FT, 4 boards, 4 assists, 0 turnovers
Darko 8 pt, 3/4 FG, 2/2 FT, 5 boards, 1 assist, 1 turn., 2 blocks
Play time not clear yet, but both played around 20-30 minutes.

FreshPrince22
02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
You know when Arroyo is hitting threes he has it going. He hit 2 for us all year, and both were prayers at the buzzer. I really don't get where the offensive explosion has come from. I guess bench players just can't score with the letters "Pistons" on their Jersey. :rolleyes:

Kstat
02-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I'm happy for Darko. He's gotta keep it going, though.

DeAthrow
02-25-2006, 02:25 AM
He did OK tonight, all he needs is some consistent PT