PDA

View Full Version : Some more light on Knicks' direction

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 10:19 AM
According to Thomas, Francis might be part of a bigger deal in summer. It was very strange to hear that from a GM. Especially in the middle of a season, just after the trade deadline... Probably he is afraid Francis-Marbury might not work, and wants to take more secure ground.

Even more surprising part, however, is that it apparently was Brown, not Isiah, who initiated Francis and Rose trades.

http://www.nj.com/knicks/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1140760020266090.xml&coll=1

<H1 class=red>Isiah: Francis makes larger deal possible
</H1>
Friday, February 24, 2006 BY DAVID WALDSTEIN

Star-Ledger Staff
NEW YORK -- Isiah Thomas spent the last few minutes before yesterday's 3 p.m. trade deadline on the phone with the Portland Trail Blazers, trying to present Larry Brown with shot-blocker Theo Ratliff, just one last piece to add to the Steve Francis deal.
But Portland's insistence on getting Channing Frye in the trade -- they were also offering a package with Darius Miles and Steve Blake -- ended any chance of a deal, and so another busy trading season came to a conclusion.
Thomas has given Brown players he wants, including Francis and Jalen Rose, and yesterday explained that he -- like many fans and people around the league -- was perplexed when Brown first suggested trading for Francis, probably because Francis is so similar to Stephon Marbury.
"It was one of those things when you first think about it you say, 'Whoa, I don't know,'" Thomas said. "But then you start listening to some of the qualities that he brought out and the way he (Brown) thought they could play together and it made a lot of sense to do."
Now, for the remaining 29 games (beginning tonight against the Nets at the Garden), the task will be to see how Marbury and Francis play together.
But there is no reason to assume Marbury and Francis will be backcourt mates for the remaining three years for Francis' contract. The Knicks have been amassing assets they hope will be enough to land them an exceptional player this summer in a sign-and-trade deal -- where a team over the salary cap can acquire a free agent by trading for him after he first signs a long-term contract with his present team -- and believe Francis or Marbury could hold the key to adding that significant player.
One of the more likely targets will be former St. Patrick's star Al Harrington -- a favorite of Thomas' -- who is a free agent after this season. If Kevin Garnett comes onto the market, the Knicks would obviously join half the league in trying to get him, too. And if Jermaine O'Neal were offered up, he would draw interest as well. Obviously, it would take a high-priced star like Francis or Marbury, plus Frye to do one of those deals.
"The next opportunity we'll have to improve our basketball team won't come until the summer," Thomas said. "We're very happy with the players that we have now."
Thomas and Brown spoke together yesterday to demonstrate a united front, even though there have been indications of friction between them lately, a typical scenario for many coaches and GMs. Brown said yesterday he was "bugging" Thomas to get Francis, and Thomas said the coach made a good case.
"Yeah," Thomas said before laughing. "We have give and take. I've had some ideas that I've tried to convince him of and he's said, 'No.' And he's had some ideas that he's tried to convince me of that I've always said yes to."
Thomas hinted that every team he spoke to yesterday wanted Frye. He also claimed that everyone on the roster has value to other teams, with the notable exception of Jerome James.
"Every player on our roster you could look at and say has value, I would say with the exception of one person right now," he said. "I would say that's Jerome James because he's been injured so much. You go into this summer now and you have a lot of players that other teams want and we have two draft picks. So we feel pretty good about the direction we're headed.
As for Marbury, he said playing alongside Francis was not going to cause problems. "I haven't read anything about it," he said, "but I'm almost positive everyone probably thinks it's going to be a problem. I think it's a plus. I don't think it's a negative."
Francis said he would try to become like an older brother to Marbury, despite the fact Marbury turned 29 on Monday, a day before Francis did.
"He's cool," Francis said. "Of course, he had a lot of things that haven't gone his way as far as coming back to New York and they aren't really winning many games. I can be a big brother to him, even though he's a day older than me. I can be a big brother to him and help get those extra victories."

Hicks
02-24-2006, 10:32 AM
A theory I've had is that Isiah is trying to do what Joe Dumars did in Detroit: Gather misfits from around the league, and tell them that if they work together they can prove everyone wrong. He even has Detroit's coach.

RWB
02-24-2006, 10:33 AM
He also claimed that everyone on the roster has value to other teams, with the notable exception of Jerome James.
"Every player on our roster you could look at and say has value, I would say with the exception of one person right now," he said. "I would say that's Jerome James because he's been injured so much. "

:laugh: :laugh: Just got to love those back handed slaps and then add the hug a second later.

SwissExpress
02-24-2006, 10:37 AM
A theory I've had is that Isiah is trying to do what Joe Dumars did in Detroit: Gather misfits from around the league, and tell them that if they work together they can prove everyone wrong. He even has Detroit's coach.

Well, in that case Francis seemingly has started his work in New York in the best way possible - I refer to that quote in the end of the article where he says about being the older brother to Marbury. The new brothers' duo a la brothers Wallaces is about to emerge!:)

Shade
02-24-2006, 10:56 AM
Rumor is that Isiah is just trying to acquire all of the "assets" he can to make a serious run at KG in the offseason. That's quite a gamble if it fails.

fwpacerfan
02-24-2006, 11:30 AM
I think Thomas is confused on what he wants to do. I think he wanted Francis, got him and now people are telling him he's crazy so now he's saying "he may be traded this summer." Thomas has a vision of what he wants to do but that vision is very flawed by the looks of it.

CableKC
02-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Rumor is that Isiah is just trying to acquire all of the "assets" he can to make a serious run at KG in the offseason. That's quite a gamble if it fails.
I have to admit....a starting offer of Marbury / Francis + Frye + anyone else on the Knicks roster for KG+Jaric+filler ( more then likely a player with a huge contract ) isn't that bad. The TWolves get to start over with a solid ( non-injury prone ) starting top 10 PG ( in Francis or Marbury ), a promising young PF and ( I would guess ) the pick of the remaining litter from the Knicks and give up KG and Jaric ( a PG that they want to get away from ) and whoever else they want. Although Marbury or Francis does not play defense....he does give them a very good PG that can be a #1 or #2 scoring option on the team that can dish the ball. On a team with 5 other Guards that can do nothing but score....they aren't effective. But on a team where he is the #1 or #2 scoring option....his penchant to score first isn't as bad.

I don't like it....but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear during the offseason that the Knicks are one of the top suitors for KGs services when ( and IF ) he becomes available on the Free Market.

I think that is the initial plan....but I betcha the backup ( and more reasonably attainable ) plan is to offer up either Francis or Marbury to the Hawks in a S&T for Harrington.....which isn't all that bad of a fall back plan.

BTW....before you say it.....IMHO....I think that an offer of Marbury/Francis+Frye is better then JONeal+Tinsley....mainly cuz the Knicks can offer a top 10 PG and a promising young PF that isn't perptually injured compared to an offer of a Top 15 Franchise player and a Top 10 PG ( when on the court ) that has historically missed about 1/3 to 1/2 a season. The only deal that would make the TWolves blink that the Pacers can offer is JONeal+Granger+filler.

SwissExpress
02-25-2006, 09:58 AM

Other rumours are that the target is Jermaine O'Neal or Al Harrington.

Moses
02-25-2006, 10:19 AM
I have to admit....a starting offer of Marbury / Francis + Frye + anyone else on the Knicks roster for KG+Jaric+filler ( more then likely a player with a huge contract ) isn't that bad. The TWolves get to start over with a solid ( non-injury prone ) starting top 10 PG ( in Francis or Marbury ), a promising young PF and ( I would guess ) the pick of the remaining litter from the Knicks and give up KG and Jaric ( a PG that they want to get away from ) and whoever else they want. Although Marbury or Francis does not play defense....he does give them a very good PG that can be a #1 or #2 scoring option on the team that can dish the ball. On a team with 5 other Guards that can do nothing but score....they aren't effective. But on a team where he is the #1 or #2 scoring option....his penchant to score first isn't as bad.

I don't like it....but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear during the offseason that the Knicks are one of the top suitors for KGs services when ( and IF ) he becomes available on the Free Market.

I think that is the initial plan....but I betcha the backup ( and more reasonably attainable ) plan is to offer up either Francis or Marbury to the Hawks in a S&T for Harrington.....which isn't all that bad of a fall back plan.

BTW....before you say it.....IMHO....I think that an offer of Marbury/Francis+Frye is better then JONeal+Tinsley....mainly cuz the Knicks can offer a top 10 PG and a promising young PF that isn't perptually injured compared to an offer of a Top 15 Franchise player and a Top 10 PG ( when on the court ) that has historically missed about 1/3 to 1/2 a season. The only deal that would make the TWolves blink that the Pacers can offer is JONeal+Granger+filler.
You underestimate McHale.

GO!!!!!
02-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Atleast he's trying, if he's the GM this time next year we know he's Da Man