PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's 2nd Foul

brichard
02-23-2006, 11:19 PM
I still think Harrison got hosed on both calls right before his technical, but I at least understand that the 1st one was a flop. You win some (We won many with Reggie!) you lose some.

But for him to get the second call... does anybody get that? Collins starts talking about David's hands being too low in the post and I'm totally confused. David looked like he was doing the same thing to get open in the post as anybody else last night.

Is Collins on crack or is it me? :meditate:

SoupIsGood
02-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I think Collins made the mistake of expecting a legit foul to be shown on the replay, and when there wasn't one.... he just kind of rolled with it.

Unclebuck
02-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I thought the first one was probably a foul, but the second was not

sweabs
02-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Second foul was hillarious. That was brutal.

But to be fair, the officiating was bad for both sides. At least most of our guys, excluding a couple, deal with the bad calls professionally and don't constantly whine and cry over every call.

By the way, if I was David I'd be getting extremely upset as well. I mean, these are some real brutal calls and silly touch fouls that are left as no-calls for most banging in the post. For God's sake, Lindsey Huntery was creating more contact outside on the perimeter with his bumping and reaching.

Skaut_Ech
02-24-2006, 07:34 AM
Second foul was hillarious. That was brutal.

But to be fair, the officiating was bad for both sides. At least most of our guys, excluding a couple, deal with the bad calls professionally and don't constantly whine and cry over every call.

By the way, if I was David I'd be getting extremely upset as well. I mean, these are some real brutal calls and silly touch fouls that are left as no-calls for most banging in the post. For God's sake, Lindsey Huntery was creating more contact outside on the perimeter with his bumping and reaching.

Here's the thing.

What I saw David doing was the the same thing I've seen Shaq and Duncan do, feel for their man behind them as they back up. He wasn't hooking, like a lot of "vets" do. I don't get why there seems to be an almost universal thing amongst the refs about not letting David do hardly anything to get position. IKt borders on bizarre and you can see that it's getting to him. How will this affect his mental development?

RWB
02-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Here's the thing.

What I saw David doing was the the same thing I've seen Shaq and Duncan do, feel for their man behind them as they back up. He wasn't hooking, like a lot of "vets" do. I don't get why there seems to be an almost universal thing amongst the refs about not letting David do hardly anything to get position. IKt borders on bizarre and you can see that it's getting to him. How will this affect his mental development?

I agree Scott, it's starting to appear there is a certain bias against Harrison. I do wonder what kind of relationship he has with the refs?

Secondly, LBrown does it, Pat Riley does it, Phil Jackson does it and they all get results. They all use the post game interview to put some pressure on the refs. They want to know why certain players are not getting or receiving calls from the officials. It may sound like whining, but it seems to work.

Ricks even keel approach is fine and I guess I can understand he doesn't want to build in excuses for the team, but sometimes you gotta step up and let the players know you're in their corner as well.

cramerica
02-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Both of those calls were BS against DH. I always try not to blame the officiating, but those calls were BS. Is that the reason we lost, no, we lost because we played stupid but those two didn't help.

rcarey is right, the calls went both ways (or didn't go both ways) for most of the game. We got hosed a little more, but I guess that's what home-court is for. That one were Delfino went into the Pistons bench was hilarious. I can't believe they called that on Delfino and not on Harrison (I believe, maybe Scot...I can't remember).

Fool
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
No way that 2nd call on Harrison was a foul. Same with that foul ON Delfino when Harrison sent him flying into the bench.

penn13
02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
David has got to understand that most of the time bad calls work themselves out. The second call on Harrison was BS, but he got away with one when he hip-checked Delfino into the third row and the refs called the foul on Delfino. Immature players such as Harrison can't see those things.

Harrison sulks and lets bad calls effect his entire game. I will look past that for now, but if he continues to be immature then I think the Pacer Nation should become very critical of David.

Rasheed is immature in that manner as well. He got a BS call against him when Granger did an acting job. Rasheed flipped out and got a tech. But, the big difference between Rasheed and Harrison, Rasheed doesn't let it effect other areas of his game in a negative manner. If anything it motivates Rasheed to play more aggressive.

David must grow up.

Fool
02-24-2006, 11:34 AM
We call those "power-up" for Rasheed.

Gamble
02-24-2006, 12:36 PM
I actually was listening to some of the game in the car and didn't
Harrison get blocked by Sheed through the net. I didn't see it but
how could you miss that. Slick also complained about Sheed making
contact with a ref after he got the T. I didn't see it but my overall
thought was Sheed has broken the ref's.

Moses
02-24-2006, 12:50 PM
The officiating was bad all around and really wasn't one sided. There were times where we got away with some things and there were times where they were just allowed to slap the **** out of anyone who came into the lane..Mainly in the 4th quarter.

As for David, I also kind of feel like the refs are kind of discriminating him in a way for how big he is. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with either of the supposed "fouls."

Skaut_Ech
02-24-2006, 04:26 PM
I figured it out. David is the anti-Shaq. In the interest of fair and balanced, for every shove and bull move Shaq is allwed to make, they make up the difference by calling a foul on Hulk.

Moses, I think you're onto something. I love Shaq, but when you look at the moves he maes, then look at the much lesser moves Hulk makes and gets called for it..well.....

Eindar
02-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I figured it out. David is the anti-Shaq. In the interest of fair and balanced, for every shove and bull move Shaq is allwed to make, they make up the difference by calling a foul on Hulk.

Moses, I think you're onto something. I love Shaq, but when you look at the moves he maes, then look at the much lesser moves Hulk makes and gets called for it..well.....

I think if you watch closely, you'll notice Shaq doesn't get away with all the crap he used to, either. It's the main reason he's gone from 30+ PPG to under 20. Had DH been born the year after Shaq, the'd have been able to have some great wrestling matches under the basket, but I think the refs have really started to crack down on physically dominant players overpowering their opponent before they get the ball. If this isn't the case, then I have some questions...

Remember the Shaq "lean", where he sorta leans back very heavily on his defender to force him to plant, then pivots off of him for a dunk? Why isn't DH trying this? I really think DH should be watching game tape of Shaq in his prime, as their builds are similar, and DH, in my opinion is almost as agile and far more athletic.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 08:01 PM
I think if you watch closely, you'll notice Shaq doesn't get away with all the crap he used to, either. It's the main reason he's gone from 30+ PPG to under 20. Had DH been born the year after Shaq, the'd have been able to have some great wrestling matches under the basket, but I think the refs have really started to crack down on physically dominant players overpowering their opponent before they get the ball. If this isn't the case, then I have some questions...

Remember the Shaq "lean", where he sorta leans back very heavily on his defender to force him to plant, then pivots off of him for a dunk? Why isn't DH trying this? I really think DH should be watching game tape of Shaq in his prime, as their builds are similar, and DH, in my opinion is almost as agile and far more athletic.

I don't think he is more agile. Shaq has some scary coordination and agiltyfor a man his size. I also don't agree tha Shaq isn't allowed to do that stuff anymore. He still does it. I just think age + that monstrous body are slowing him down now.