PDA

View Full Version : Pacers just not in the Pistons class

Unclebuck
02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
I'm going to make this very short. Pistons dominated the game tonight. Seemed to me they were toying with us for most of the game. Their defense just suffocated us and we had trouble getting even a decent shot, or making a pass without turning the ball over. Most of the Pacers turnovers were the Pistons doing. They smothered us. They have better players at every position and that does make a huge difference.

I'll be curious to see what people complain about after this game. Who are we going to blame tonight. If you ask me the Pistons are just a much better team than the Pacers. Don't blame Carlisle or Jax or anyone else.

I was a little perplexed how the Pistons left their starters in the game until there was only a minute left.

Moses
02-23-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm going to make this very short. Pistons dominated the game tonight. Seemed to me they were toying with us for most of the game. Their defense just suffocated us and we had trouble getting even a decent shot, or making a pass without turning the ball over. Most of the Pacers turnovers were the Pistons doing. They smothered us. They have better players at every position and that does make a huge difference.

I'll be curious to see what people complain about after this game. Who are we going to blame tonight. If you ask me the Pistons are just a much better team than the Pacers. Don't blame Carlisle or Jax or anyone else.

I was a little perplexed how the Pistons left their starters in the game until there was only a minute left.
Did you see how quickly their lead evaporated in the final minute?

You obviously didn't look at it how I did. We hung in there despite having an off night offensively. What really killed us the most was just carelessness and missing wide open layups...Not to mention Sheed went crazy and hit back to back to back 3 pointers. It could have been ALOT worse in my opinion.

indytoad
02-23-2006, 11:56 PM

You obviously didn't look at it how I did. We hung in there despite having an off night offensively. What really killed us the most was just carelessness and missing wide open layups...Not to mention Sheed went crazy and hit back to back to back 3 pointers. It could have been ALOT worse in my opinion.

You don't think that may have had something to do with the Pistons being a great defensive team?

IndyToad
Can't be a good thing

Unclebuck
02-23-2006, 11:56 PM

I watched the whole game so yes I saw the lead cut to 5

Shade
02-23-2006, 11:57 PM
One game. We're still even with them this season, and we're still w/o 2 starters.

Moses
02-23-2006, 11:58 PM
You don't think that may have had something to do with the Pistons being a great defensive team?

IndyToad
Can't be a good thing
Missing wide open layups and wide open 3 pointers has to do with the Pistons defense? Thats what I thought. If you watched the game you could count 6 wide open easy *** layups missed. There is absolutely no excuse for that. They played great defense and smothered our guys in the paint when they tried to slash..but the Pistons defense had nothing to do with those missed layups. I'm also convinced Fred Jones would still be fully functional if you cut off his left hand because he never dribbles with it.

JBones19
02-23-2006, 11:59 PM
I told myself I wouldn't be upset if we lost by single digits tonight- :(

bulletproof
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Don't blame Carlisle or Jax or anyone else.

Okay, no blaming, but if I were a coroner and doing a post-mortem on the Pacers after this game, I'd write in my report: Carlisle's egg-timer rotations (esp. when it came to Johnson vs. Sarunas), Harrison's hot head, Sarunas and turnovers killed this team tonight.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Nothing wrong with that, but I am getting tired of coming home from class/work and hearing "S-Jax had a bad game again"

Yes Jax did not have a good game. But none of the other Pacers could get a decent shot off for most of the night, so Jax had to try and create something, and jax at least can get a shot off because of his height and how he shoots the ball

Jermaniac
02-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Rick Carlisle is afraid of Stephen, he wont ever tell him to stop shooting, why do you think Jack continues to do it? You think Pop would let someone do that? Nope, Jack shoots cause Rick lets him shoot and wont tell him anything wrong.

And when we cut the lead down to 4 and the moron takes AJ out and puts Sarunas in, what a smart guy, take the PG out while you are making a run. AMAZING Coaching move. Rick is God dont blame Rick. Its Jermaine O'Neal's fault for not dancing enough tonight, so the loss falls on him.

McKeyFan
02-24-2006, 12:10 AM
They kept their starters in because there's always a chance of a team coming back if there is only a ten point differential with a minute to go. Very difficult, but possible (as we've seen against us a few times).

We were one three point shot away from a ten point differential from about three minutes to go. Didn't get to ten until, like, 35 seconds.

That's why they kept them in. It was good coaching.

Rick, on the other hand, put in Gill with three minutes to go. That was, IMO, a sign of giving up. Runi went on a quick run, and a couple more scores near the end and we would have had another crack at it, albeit a distant one.

I didn't like how Rick threw in the towel too early.

I also didn't like him pulling Runi early. That wasn't what lost us the game, but it didn't help us. They went on a 10-0 run right after AJ came in with about seven minutes left.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 12:10 AM
We lack perimeter players who create. The Ginobilis, Billups, Wades, Parkers, we don't have that, and that's big now in the NBA. They took advantage of that, we couldn't pass for open shots because of their pressure and couldn't take advantage of their tight defense because our guys aren't very skilled with the ball.

Jumper
02-24-2006, 12:11 AM
I know a lot has been said about trading Oneal. But our bigs could not hold on to the ball at all tonight. Throwing it down low got us about the same result as throwing it straight to the Pistons. I have to imagine if Oneal is in the game then things open up everywhere else. Also, we need some post defense. Seems like once they get past our first line it is in the hole, no contested shots, once again enter Oneal.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:12 AM
Okay, no blaming, but if I were a coroner and doing a post-mortem on the Pacers after this game, I'd write in my report: Carlisle's egg-timer rotations (esp. when it came to Johnson vs. Sarunas), Harrison's hot head, Sarunas and turnovers killed this team tonight.

You didn't see Rick take DH out immedietely after the "T"

It didn't matter who the Pacers had in there, it wasn't like you could argue, "well if any so and so played more maybe things would have been different".

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:13 AM
Rick Carlisle is afraid of Stephen, he wont ever tell him to stop shooting, why do you think Jack continues to do it? .

Because tonight no one else could get a decent shot except Jax.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 12:15 AM

It didn't matter who the Pacers had in there, it wasn't like you could argue, "well if any so and so played more maybe things would have been different".

Yep. We just don't have the guns, mainly on offense. No matter what we did or who we played, we weren't going to get a good shot off consistently.

Although..... I kind of wish we had gone to Granger more. Just to see where he's at.

McKeyFan
I saw the game go their way, in part, when Ben Wallace started getting in the head of Harrison, then he demoralized Granger with that block.

Add Rasheeds unstoppable offense and we just got a nice clinic from the best team in the league.

When we got down 20, it was apparent we didn't have the tools to make things happen. AJ tried a couple of things and got rejected and smothered. Pollard and Foster have no moves. Peja got doubled and Jax was Jax.

I don't like Rick's "safe" starting five when a game is really on the line. I don't think I will like it in the playoffs either.

This game did, however, make me miss JO a little. His defense would have been helpful on Rasheed. Wouldn't have shut him down, but at least he could have been a factor.

Hicks
Turnovers killed us more than anything else, by far. We cut those in half, we could win this game.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Because tonight no one else could get a decent shot except Jax.

I don't think even he could get a good shot. He would get past his man, but Jax is terrible at finding the good shot and finishing it from then. He always takes a difficult shot after beating his man

tadscout
02-24-2006, 12:16 AM
I just wish we would pass the ball/ have better ball movement like the new offensive system we're supposed to be playing... The starters just seem to struggle with that concept... and that while being an up tempo team, if you take a quick shot you should have rebounders in place when you do shoot it to cut down the chance of a fastbreak...

McKeyFan
02-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Turnovers killed us more than anything else, by far. We cut those in half, we could win this game.

What's your solution to that one?

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:19 AM

Solutions for turnover? Play another team besides the Pistons.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Sorry for double posts.

But is anyone just tired of the Pistons. It isn't a hate thing, and I know they play the right way and are a great team, but I'm just sick of watching those 5 starters. I feel like I know each of those players so well, and I'm just tired of watching them play.

purdue101
02-24-2006, 12:25 AM
we lost b/c of turnovers, plain and simple. some of them were b/c of our own carelessness, some were b/c of good D by detroit. detroit had like 25 plus pts just off our turnovers. i don't care who you're playing, you'll lose by that stat alone.

i think tonight was an indicator that this team still has a ways to go. hopefully we can get there over the next month or two. if we can get all our guys healthy, continue to rebound, and take care of the ball, i think we'll have an outside shot against anyone in a seven game series.

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 12:27 AM
But is anyone just tired of the Pistons. It isn't a hate thing, and I know they play the right way and are a great team, but I'm just sick of watching those 5 starters. I feel like I know each of those players so well, and I'm just tired of watching them play.

YES!!!!

I felt the same dang thing, except for me it was also a hate thing. :evillaugh:

I had forgotten just how much I hated this team.

Fireball Kid
02-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Sorry for double posts.

I feel that same way about the Spurs.

McKeyFan
02-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Solutions for turnover? Play another team besides the Pistons.

We can do better than that answer. We played the Pistons a couple weeks ago and won. What was the difference?

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:33 AM
We can do better than that answer. We played the Pistons a couple weeks ago and won. What was the difference?

Well tonight was on the road. The last game the Pistons had played 4 games in 5 nights and 5 games in 7 nights, and that has a huge effect. Plus because the Pacers beat the Pistons two weeks ago the Pistons were ready tonight.

McKeyFan
02-24-2006, 12:35 AM
I know a lot has been said about trading Oneal. But our bigs could not hold on to the ball at all tonight. Throwing it down low got us about the same result as throwing it straight to the Pistons. I have to imagine if Oneal is in the game then things open up everywhere else. Also, we need some post defense. Seems like once they get past our first line it is in the hole, no contested shots, once again enter Oneal.

Here's a better theory on the turnovers.

Maybe having Harrison or Granger in there provides the bigs the chance to take it to the hole. With Pollard and Foster, they knew they would throw it back out and found ways to smother them and force turnovers.

That's why I pointed out that Ben taking Harrison out of the game (mentally) and demoralizing Danny, the hero of the previous Piston win, was crucial to their run and eventual win tonight.

brichard
02-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Just so I don't get misunderstood, officiating is not what lost this game. You just had the feeling the Pistons were going to ratchet their game up when they needed to.

However, there was a string of about 5 minutes that were some of the worst officiated I've seen this year. Harrison gets a couple of bogus fouls... we lose 2 posessions. He then gets mad and gets the T and we lose some points. We are getting knocked to the ground with no fouls called, defensive 3 seconds etc. The momentum shifted here and it allowed Sheed to get hot and once he is hot, there really isn't much you can do.

We get some home calls as well, but for awhile there... that was just awful.

SycamoreKen
02-24-2006, 12:51 AM
Rick Carlisle is afraid of Stephen, he wont ever tell him to stop shooting, why do you think Jack continues to do it? You think Pop would let someone do that? Nope, Jack shoots cause Rick lets him shoot and wont tell him anything wrong.

Pop put up with Jackson because he had Ginobili to replace him when he had an off game. That's why they didn't lose much sleep when he left.The last time I checked Rick didn't have the same luxery. Has something changed recently?

grace
02-24-2006, 12:53 AM

I think Kstat's excuse then was that the Pistons were tired and therefore didn't try. Or something along those lines.

Actually I think it was a case of the Pistons thinking "grace thinks we're gonna kick the Pacers' butt so lets go out there and suck. That way when we play them again she'll have a false sense of security and when we win she'll be really ticked."

Jermaniac
02-24-2006, 01:14 AM
Because tonight no one else could get a decent shot except Jax.If those where decent shots I'm Jermaine O'Neal's agent.

Hicks
02-24-2006, 01:28 AM

Some of it was just carelessness. Some of it was what I feel should have been fouls called that weren't. The rest is just not thinking very hard.

Suaveness
02-24-2006, 02:35 AM
Maybe we're just not good as we think we are. JO would have helped. We lack someone who we can go to when we need points.

Peck
02-24-2006, 02:47 AM

I actually had a post I was going to do but each & every reason I kept using as to why we lost kept coming back to the same thing.

The Pistons made us lose.

I thought we were rushing our offense to much, that is because Detroit cut off the passing lanes & whatever lanes they left open for penatration was usually a trap to lead you to a Wallace.

I thought we didn't defend as well as we could have. That is because Detroit was executing picture perfect diaganal cuts in the lane & they were hitting their shots.

I thought we went to small to often. That is because Detroit rendered Jeff Foster useless so we were forced to play Danny a lot at the 4 during the game.

In other words every single time I kept thinging of something I just kept coming back to the fact that Detroit made us do it.

Now I'm not quite as bad as you are because I still feel that it was a close game until Wallace started hitting those three three's, but let's face it just about 3-4 min. before that we had a chance to get it to six & in fact had we capatilized we could have gotten it to 2 because we kept getting the ball back.

So I am not going to say we are as bad as you make me feel we are, but I will say this. They are the # 1 team in the NBA for a reason.

Bball
02-24-2006, 02:49 AM
I don't have time to read this right now... but to answer the quick question of "Who do we blame?"-

I blame Freddie Jones. What an awful game. I even blame Carlisle a little for not getting him off the court and shortening his minutes. I don't know how many TO's were directly credited to him but they were some doozies. And he couldn't hit anything... or even get a shot off. He was forcing the game and this time it didn't work. And his defense was nothing to brag about either. This is one that Freddie should long remember and work to improve upon. And somebody tell him to keep his feet on the ground, at least until he knows what he's going to do with the ball. No more getting in the air and then not knowing what he's going to do with the ball, followed by a bad pass. If I ever see him turn the ball over doing that again it will be too soon.

I'm still not all that concerned about a loss to the Pistons where we hung close most of the game and were surviving Freddie's bad game. I'll take a 1-1 split with the Pistons at this point in the season.

-Bball

bulletproof
02-24-2006, 03:15 AM

Harrison's "T", I believe, took it from a 4-point game to a 7-point game. Also, as Jermaniac pointed out, when we cut the lead down to 4, Rick took AJ out and put Sarunas in. Why?

bnd45
02-24-2006, 03:16 AM
5 Things I Need to Say:

1. Pistons doubled off every screen and let Foster or Pollard roll freely. This really bothered us, as our offense was forced well out of its comfort zone. JO is certainly a threat to finish inside.

2. Jack was capable of getting in the lane, but forced things and was just hoping to get bailed out. I would love to see him drive and kick out to AJ or Peja.

3. When we play the Pistons, Foster has to stay home on Sheed's screens. He can't overextend because he was late rotating back all night. Our guards have to suck it up and fight through the picks as best as they can. (JO being in the lineup is critical here becasue he anchors the D with his shot blocking. I don't buy the argument that he would have shut down Sheed, because a) he normally guards Ben and b) he's a terrible perimeter defender. Foster can do a solid job if he doesn't have to worry about containg Rip or Chauncey.)

4. Fred Jones is just not that good of a basketball player. Great athlete, but I see no reason why so many people think we should resign him. Just so you don't think I'm basing this on the last few games, the guy only averaged 4 ppg in 13 playoff games last season. When the intensity gets turned up on D, he can't do anything. (I could go on and on about his terrible passing) Danny Granger can play the 2 and 3 next year off the bench if needed.

5. We better beat the Hawks tomorrow at home. I don't want to see an "Old Pacer" tradition of letting one get away against a below .500 team because we didn't match their effort or intensity. They are all important from here on out.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
02-24-2006, 03:30 AM
I think Freddie is getting too bad of a rap for having one bad game, against the best defensive team in the league no less. You people are so fickle. Just a few weeks ago people were declaring he should be our starting point guard.

Make no mistake, I was disgusted by his play tonight, but that is no reason to just sign off on all the good he has done for us in the previous games. Ill admit, he had too many turnovers, but so did EVERYONE else on the team. Noone could hand the Pistons defensive pressure. And the jumping and passing thing, I aggree its getting pretty old. But really theres only 1 point in this game that stands out where he did this. And you know who else did this same thing later on in the game? Peja, the lord and saviour of the Pacers, did this same exact thing in the 4th quarter and turned it over, but I dont see anyone blaming the loss on him??

Freddie is our 6th man, and Im proud of it. He had one really bad game, but hes still a lot more consistent than our other SG.

Evan_The_Dude
02-24-2006, 04:52 AM
My only comment is that this game just goes to show exactly why we need Tinsley and J.O. Not sayign we would have won with those two, but there sure as hell would have been more scoring opportunities.

denyfizle
02-24-2006, 05:40 AM

Relax. Take away Chauncey and Rasheed from the Pistons and they won't be in our second stringers class at all. Jack and AJ just fell back to earth playing on the road. No big deal. That's the kind of team we have right now because of all the injuries. I wasn't convinced by the Pistons victory at all. They just made a strong rally in the end and Hulk got us into a demoralizing stretch wherein we were picking up momentum. No blame game for me tonight. Heck, it's the Pistons at their homecourt and we're without arguably our 2 best players. Yea, the team we have currently may not be in the Pistons' class, but I can't say when we're healthy that we really are that far off.

D-BONE
02-24-2006, 07:50 AM
We kind of hung around for parts of the game, but they just whooped our *** during that stretch of the 4th quarter plain and simple. The only way I think we can hope to win against the Pistons is to control the tempo. They forced us into a half-court game for the most part and when that happens their D just locks down. You can say shots are forced or our inside guys are continually rejected, etc., but their pressure on the ball and their help is just so intense it's not as easy as it seems in theory to drive it and kick it out for an open J. Then you start missing the bunnies b/c that suffocating D gets in your head and you shoot wide open shot as if you're under duress or Big Ben will come swooping from across the lane and swat you. Intimidation. Gotta get more easy transition hoops to have success with them.

Couple final thougts. This isn't a blame game against anybody about the game/loss itself. I love DH's progress and he get's some awful calls, but what's he up to now like 4 or 5 Ts in the last 8 games? Also, I know it's bravado and maybe some find it entertaining, but can JO just stop calling out the Pistons so much about the rivalry and wanting to play them and this and that. Sure, we've taken them to 7 games a few times, but face it, they still own us. IMO that's a good reason to just be humble otherwise and then just let all the frustration or competitiveness or whatever out on the court. Let the play do the talking. If we ever overcome them then the right is earned to talk. Gotta walk the walk as they say.

owl
02-24-2006, 08:03 AM
UB said..."Pacers just not in the Pistons class "

Owl said..."Horsebleep"

owl

owl
02-24-2006, 08:16 AM
bnd 45 said...."1. Pistons doubled off every screen and let Foster or Pollard roll freely. This really bothered us, as our offense was forced well out of its comfort zone. JO is certainly a threat to finish inside."

This was the key to their defense and despite this the Pacers still were close.
Pacers need a penetrating guard and Saras and AJ are not him.
I hate to say it bu Tinsley would have helped last night but JO would have
helped a lot more.

owl

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 08:33 AM
, when we cut the lead down to 4, Rick took AJ out and put Sarunas in. Why?

It was late in the 3rd quarter and AJ needed a little rest. How many minutes would you like AJ to play. AJ gets tired, he just isn't the type of athlete that can play 40 minutes a game effectively.

Yes J.O and insley would have helped. The Pistons take you out of your offense, so you need some one-on-one players to be effective

rexnom
02-24-2006, 08:43 AM
In a way I am glad this game happened because it shows us what the playoffs will be like. You get a team with a decent coach and they will adjust. Rick is great at catching teams off guard and preparing but when you play teams often, they get a chance to adjust, like the Pistons did here. Rick isn't at fault, we just didn't have the tools and the Pistons' adjustments and play outweighed Rick's coaching and "playing the best hand with what he was dealt."

What's the solution? Well, Rick will adjust himself. Obviously this starting lineup isn't going to last forever. Second, two of our key players who really cause the Pistons problems (and other teams) are Harrison and Granger. Both are inexperienced and will have games where players like Rasheed and Big Ben can just take them out of it. That will change. Give Danny and David time and you'll see how one block, like MckeyFan said, can't demoralize Danny. And Hulk? Well, his temper does get the best of him sometimes but it's becoming more and more rare. And they best frontcourt in the NBA got under his skin? Wow. THAT's unexpected. The thrird thing that we have going for us is that two elements we missed in the game exist in two of our injured players, JO and Tinsley. J.O. is extremely effective inside defensively and offensively and Tinsley, whether you like him or not, can create better than anyone else on the team. Of course, he wouldn't exactly help with the TOs but, eh, at least he'd create. Outside of that, unless your team is named San Antonio or Dallas, all you can do in a playoff series with Detroit is just hope for good luck and good officiating...

Skaut_Ech
02-24-2006, 08:57 AM
Uncle Buck?

:tip: :iagree:

There's nothing wrong with saying that the Pistons are a different class than us, despite the protests of some of our fellow posters.

The fact that they are champs, notwithstanding, they not only beat us, but tey toyed with us and that was very telling to me. There's no shame in saying that another team is better than us, folks. Especially the world champs.

What got me is down the stretch, they quite simply clamped down on us. I think Peck said it before I got a chance to.

Down the stretch, the Pistons made us do what they wanted. On D, they smothered Peja, bodied our guys in the post and repeatedly funneled our slashers right into their shot blockers. On O, they kept running screens towards the basket until one of our guys got behind and needed help, then Billups or Rasheed would simply start floating out towards the three line as we doubled teamed the ball handler. How many open shots did they take down the stretch. Open. Shots. :swear:

Some of you act like it's some kind of badge of shame to acknowledge that someone might be better than you. :tongue:

Not to use a corny cliche....but I will. Rocky thought Creed was the better fighter, but that didn't mean he didn't take it to him and eventually perservere.

We AREN'T in the Piston's class and there nothing worng with acknowledging that. It simply means we have some work to do, but we all knew that. At least some of us do.

Pacesetter
02-24-2006, 09:28 AM
The Pacers turned the ball over 22 x's, but were still in it in the fourth. We made a few too many mistakes, but this team could have beaten Detroit last night, and to say we're not in the Piston's class is out there.

NaptownBound
02-24-2006, 09:31 AM
anybody on this board that doesn't think the Pistons are a better team is just lying to themselves on some homer-type nonsense. everything that gave us problems last night was directly linked to Detroit executing on both ends.

the difference between the two Pistons games is the turnovers. you can't give any team, especially the best in the league, 22 turnovers. that's death. the thing is, they forced our turnovers because they are a great defensive team.

anybody blaming Fred Jones for losing is just being silly. guys have off nights. it just happens. we'll just have to hope it turns around.

what the heck is Saras' problem yelling at Danny G. after throwing that horrible pass?! anyway, it's nothing that should be blown out of proportion. just two guys not on the same page at a certain time. it happens.

as bad as Detroit made us play, we were still in the game until the Harrison technical, then Sheed turning into Dale Ellis. Even still, we were down 20 and cut it all the way to 5. let's try to be optimistic. i know everyone wants to beat Detroit... but hell, we're having more trouble beating Atlanta this year than Detroit. let's get on that tonight.

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2006, 09:44 AM
The Pistons starters can read each others minds it seems. They have played together so much. We play great D and get the shot clock almost expired and they still convert. They must have made 5 or 6 shots in the last second of the clock.

Most of the our turnovers were forced, but a lot of them were just sloppy. Fred not being able to feed David a pass where he can catch it. Fred leaving his feet. Saras making passes that catch people by surprise and go out of bounds (like the one to Danny).

The Pistons rarely make a pass the teammate can't handle, in fact they always pass it in such a way that the pass leads the pass catcher right into his offensive move.

The only players we have that do that are JT when healthy and Sarunas when people are actually ready for the pass. Sometimes Peja too. He's made some pretty passes lately that break down the defense.

cramerica
02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
This thread is absolutely killing me. I really can't believe what I'm reading. We had this game. We committed way to many turnovers and most of those were because of carelessness with our passes. How many times did Fred try to pass the ball while in mid air? How many times did Scot turn the ball over? I watched that game in disgust. Not because the "Pacers aren't in the Pistons class" but in disgust because we were shooting ourselves in the foot the whole game.

This post makes me think that some of you think we shouldn't play any more games and just let the Pistons have another Eastern Conference Championship. Why even play?

I'll tell you why.......because we can beat these guys. We have guys to get into a dogfight with Detroit and there are few teams that have those type of guys but that is exactly what you need. I watched that whole game and at the end of it I turned to my wife and said "What the hell was that?"

Some of our guys had off nights. It happens. We didn't get alot of calls, but the Pistons didn't get some too. BTW, Harrison has a red flag on him. Most of his fouls were total BS. The one where he barely touched Ben's back and Ben acted like David was King-Kong was crap. The next foul I tivo'd it back to see where the foul was, again against Ben, and I couldn't find it. We shouldn't have to blame the refs but I haven't been that worked up about two calls in a long time.

We could of won this game, and we had an off night. We can and will compete against these guys at a very high level.

heywoode
02-24-2006, 10:03 AM
we lost b/c of turnovers, plain and simple. some of them were b/c of our own carelessness, some were b/c of good D by detroit. detroit had like 25 plus pts just off our turnovers. i don't care who you're playing, you'll lose by that stat alone.

i think tonight was an indicator that this team still has a ways to go. hopefully we can get there over the next month or two. if we can get all our guys healthy, continue to rebound, and take care of the ball, i think we'll have an outside shot against anyone in a seven game series.

I agree with everything in this post.

The Pistons didn't outclass us last night. Outplayed us? Yes.

If we take care of the ball and finish down low on half of those layups, we win that game.

The Pistons know we can beat them every time we play them, and they normally play us that way. They already took us for granted once this year and got a loss for it.

With JO and JT back, or at least JO, we have as good a chance as any to beat the Pistons in the playoffs. Maybe more of a chance given the contention between the two franchises the last couple years.

owl
02-24-2006, 10:05 AM
The Pacers turned the ball over 22 x's, but were still in it in the fourth. We made a few too many mistakes, but this team could have beaten Detroit last night, and to say we're not in the Piston's class is out there.

I would agree. Some people on this board sound like quitters. Detroit won
last night and deserved to win. I will admit that and that is all. If you
don't think you can beat a team then you never will.

owl

heywoode
02-24-2006, 10:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with saying that the Pistons are a different class than us, despite the protests of some of our fellow posters.

The fact that they are champs, notwithstanding, they not only beat us, but tey toyed with us and that was very telling to me. There's no shame in saying that another team is better than us, folks. Especially the world champs.

Some of you act like it's some kind of badge of shame to acknowledge that someone might be better than you. :tongue:

We AREN'T in the Piston's class and there nothing worng with acknowledging that. It simply means we have some work to do, but we all knew that. At least some of us do.

Last I checked, the Spurs were the world champs...

This whole statement isn't pointed at you Skaut, I only wanted to address the 'champs' statement to you....

I think it is obvious that the Pistons are a much more consistent team than the Pacers, but I'm not ready to admit they are the better team. Not even better than the Pacers minus their franchise player and their starting PG.
It is certainly true that they own us when it really counts. It is true that they intimidate us right out of our game. It is true that they are a great defensive team.

WE can be a great defensive team. WE can intimidate teams out of their game too.

I don't feel like they toyed with us, or thought that they were toying with us. If that were the case, they wouldn't have two starters play over their average minutes, or have their starters in with a double digit lead in the last two minutes of the game when they had us down by 20 earlier....

Turnovers (some of them our fault, some of them the Pistons' D's fault) killed us. A few bad calls demoralizing us killed us. Missed layups killed us.

We got beat because they played harder and smarter than we did, and they put five more points on the board than we did. That doesn't mean they are the better team, it just means they were last night.

DeS
02-24-2006, 10:25 AM
Of course we are not yet Pistons class team, because Pacers now are in the learning mode (to play with the existing players, to play new offense,...). But it's not a reason to lose the game and it can't be an excuse for the bad play (of certain players and the team overall).

BillS
02-24-2006, 10:35 AM

Ding ding ding ding ding.

Half of them were very forced. Half of them were just careless ball handling.

Lose the careless ball handling and life is much better.

Skaut_Ech
02-24-2006, 10:43 AM
This thread is absolutely killing me. I really can't believe what I'm reading. We had this game. We committed way to many turnovers and most of those were because of carelessness with our passes........

This post makes me think that some of you think we shouldn't play any more games and just let the Pistons have another Eastern Conference Championship. Why even play?

I'll tell you why.......because we can beat these guys. We have guys to get into a dogfight with Detroit and there are few teams that have those type of guys but that is exactly what you need.

As has been said, the Pistons forced a LOT of those turnovers. Don't watch with rose tinted glasses and looking at it objectively, they forced us into making mistakes. Over and over and over.

Why even play?

WHY EVEN PLAY??

:pissed:

I don't believe ANYONE said we can't beat them, but they are in a different class than us. No harm in acknowledging that. That's why I used my Rocky analogy.

Let's not hold out team in an unrealistic light. "We have guys to get into a dogfight with Detroit and there are few teams that have those type of guys"

Actually, there are a bunch of teams with those type of guys. Bulls have shown they can bump and grind. Boston has some fighters in Al Jefferson, Perkins, Pierce...I'm not going to go team by team, but you get the point.

No one's saying we can't beat them, but let's not be :sunshine: about our boys. The Pistons played on cruise control till late in the game, then clamped down on us, just as champs tend to do. (Spurs do/did it. Lakers did it. Bulls did it.)

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, not giving credit where credit is due.

It's from the school of "I know they just swept us 5 game to none, but we're the better team."

We're a 27-24 team struggling to make tha playoffs and we just played the world champions who have only lost NINE games all season. No reason not to ive them all the credit in the world.

No excuses. They simply outplayed us. Hats off to them and I hope we see them in the playoffs.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Watching Ben and Sheed play defense is amazing. Makes me very jealous.

Fool
02-24-2006, 10:51 AM
Did I hear correctly last night? Did Collins (or whoever was doing play-by-play) say the Pacers had won 7 or the last 10 games against the Pistons? That's gotta be regular season games, yeah?

cramerica
02-24-2006, 10:55 AM
As has been said, the Pistons forced a LOT of those turnovers. Don't watch with rose tinted glasses and looking at it objectively, they forced us into making mistakes. Over and over and over.

Why even play?

WHY EVEN PLAY??

:pissed:

I don't believe ANYONE said we can't beat them, but they are in a different class than us. No harm in acknowledging that. That's why I used my Rocky analogy.

Let's not hold out team in an unrealistic light. "We have guys to get into a dogfight with Detroit and there are few teams that have those type of guys"

Actually, there are a bunch of teams with those type of guys. Bulls have shown they can bump and grind. Boston has some fighters in Al Jefferson, Perkins, Pierce...I'm not going to go team by team, but you get the point.

No one's saying we can't beat them, but let's not be :sunshine: about our boys. The Pistons played on cruise control till late in the game, then clamped down on us, just as champs tend to do. (Spurs do/did it. Lakers did it. Bulls did it.)

This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, not giving credit where credit is due.

It's from the school of "I know they just swept us 5 game to none, but we're the better team."

We're a 27-24 team struggling to make tha playoffs and we just played the world champions who have only lost NINE games all season. No reason not to ive them all the credit in the world.

No excuses. They simply outplayed us. Hats off to them and I hope we see them in the playoffs.
Scott, I'm not saying the Pacers are ready to win the championship tomorrow, but I am saying we could of (and should of) beat Detroit. We have the guys to do it. We lost last night not because Detroit out-played us, but because we didn't play good basketball.

I don't know, I guess I get discouraged when I come on to this message board after a loss like last night, and I'm expecting more threads to be how I feel, and most of them aren't. Especially when they are coming from PD's elite and people who I agree with 95% of the time.

owl
02-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Skaut Etch said..."The Pistons played on cruise control till late in the game, then clamped down on us, just as champs tend to do."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

That is easier to do when you are playing 3 on 5. It is very easy to focus
on the scorers when every one knows who the ball is going to. They were
putting pressure on the perimeter heavily last night and with nothing going
on inside and no penetration by the guards the outcome is predictable
especially against Detroit at home. Just as the Pacers looked great at home
against Detroit and it looked like they had no answers for what the Pacers
were doing the same happened last night. Detroit won last night, convincingly
but saying the Pacers are not in their league is raising the white flag and
losing the mental battle as well.

owl

Hicks
02-24-2006, 11:02 AM
I get tired of the depression-fests that come after every loss.

Would it kill anyone to talk about what the saw and liked from the Pacers? What did they do right?

Slick Pinkham
02-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Put a hand in Rasheed's face and eliminate 3 or 4 of the unforced turnovers (Fred leaving his feet then deciding to pass, David dropping passes in the post, Sarunus trying to do too much, etc.) and this game is a toss-up.

I'm not discouraged by the loss.

I recognize that the Pistons, though, have a team cohesiveness that makes them tough to beat. They rarely make bad passes and unforced turnovers. We do.

I liked our effort, our aggressiveness on the glass, our physical play, and I thought in general we had a good game plan. They were just better last night.

owl
02-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Also, I know it's bravado and maybe some find it entertaining, but can JO just stop calling out the Pistons so much about the rivalry and wanting to play them and this and that. Sure, we've taken them to 7 games a few times, but face it, they still own us. IMO that's a good reason to just be humble otherwise and then just let all the frustration or competitiveness or whatever out on the court. Let the play do the talking. If we ever overcome them then the right is earned to talk. Gotta walk the walk as they say.

Amen to that. I did like what AJ said last night however.

owl

Hicks
02-24-2006, 11:14 AM
How about giving our defense credit for making the Pistons not look like champions the entire game? It's been said they were "toying" with us, but I don't buy that. We did things to them as they did to us.

NaptownBound
02-24-2006, 11:18 AM
Sure, we've taken them to 7 games a few times, but face it, they still own us.

Uh... actually, we've never taken them to 7 games.

RWB
02-24-2006, 11:20 AM

Would it kill anyone to talk about what the saw and liked from the Pacers? What did they do right?

Would they didn't get into a fight count. ;)

What I did see and like? When Harrison was lined up next to B.Wallace on the foul line, I noticed Harrison is definitely bigger.

Pollard doesn't get intimidated by anyone. As long as his back holds out he really can make a difference in the playoffs.

Granger's the real deal.

I like Jeff, but if he doesn't take the summer and work on some type of shot then it's time to deal him. The good news is Foster's a hard worker and I believe willing to accept the challenge IF Carlisle asks.

AJ is steady.

Peja is pretty darn good.

And finally, a month ago this game would have been over after the 1st quarter.

penn13
02-24-2006, 11:20 AM
I give credit to Harrison displaying to everyone on national television how immature he is. I also give credit to Fred Jones displaying to the world that he is a Chucker.

Hicks
02-24-2006, 11:30 AM
:soundoff:

penn13
02-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I am just giving you a hard time Hicks.;)

beast23
02-24-2006, 11:37 AM
I can't give you too much credit, Buck. It doesn't take an Einstein to see that the Pistons are a much better team. :)

Yet, we do have a few that will never admit that any other team is better. And it's especially hard for them to admit that the Pistons are better.

But, ignoring that for a moment, what will it take with the personnel we have (even with JO, Tinsley and Cro) to complete better with the Pistons? We certainly have to be at the top of our game. But things I see, in no particular order:

Keep turnovers under 10.

Shoot very well from behind the arc and have a better 2FG% than the Pistons normally allow.

Have a big advantage in rebounds, especially offensive boards (since 2FG% is not going to be good against the Pistons, you have to get extra shots.

Pistoner
02-24-2006, 11:38 AM
I think the Pacers match up well with the Pistons and can certainly beat them on any given night. They have a great coach and are deep in the sense that your 4 through 10 players are all pretty solid and against the Pistons, they rebound well. You should be even stronger IF J.O. and Tinsley can be back and healthy for the playoffs.

That being said, barring a Piston injury, the Pacer's will have to be mentally tough and execute flawlessly for 7 games to MAYBE beat the Pistons in a playoff series. I saw the same thing in this game that I have seen in many of the Piston's games this year: play even with the competition for the 1st half and take it up to another level in the 3rd quarter and get a double digit lead, then coast the rest of the game. Some times the other team plays mentally tough as well in that 3rd quarter surge and the Pistons lose, but more often then not (like last night), they can not match the intensity or execution and get steamrolled. I don't think the Pistons are unbeatable in the playoffs, but I believe there is only one team right now that can stay focused and handle the pressure as well as they do for a 7 game series, and that is the world champs.

To sum it up. The Pacers have never shown in the past that they can be mentally tough when the pressure is on for an extended playoff series, and I personally don't believe they are capable this year. I do think that the Pacers have as good a shot as anyone else to beat the Pistons in the playoffs this year, including Miami, but I just don't think it is much of a shot.

As for J.O.'s comments, I don't think he originally just out of the blue grabbed a reporter and said, " you know what? I want the Pistons in the first round." I'm sure he was asked something along the lines of "Do you think you can beat the Pistons in the playoffs?" And once it is out there, what is he supposed to do? Take it back? He'd look like a bigger boob. He was kind of in a catch-22 with that statement. The only bad thing is it will be brought up every time the 2 teams play and if things go a little south for the Pacers at the beginning of a playoff series, that type of thing might get into J.O.'s head a little bit.

Just my opinion.

bulletproof
02-24-2006, 11:42 AM

I imagine after a loss that teams spend as much (if not more) time analyzing and working on what they did wrong than what they did right.

Hicks
02-24-2006, 12:07 PM
I imagine after a loss that teams spend as much (if not more) time analyzing and working on what they did wrong than what they did right.

Right. They're the ones that have to go out there and do better. We aren't. I don't get how people get any joy out of the team when all they see and talk about (or in reality, so much so that it feels that absolute) is the black, not the white. I'm old enough to remember when fans had positivity (not blind, just at all).

bulletproof
02-24-2006, 12:22 PM
I don't like the depression-fests either, but I do enjoy reading well-thought out critical analyses of the games. Peck and UB usually do a good job of presenting the good with the bad.

grace
02-24-2006, 12:22 PM

It wouldn't kill me but some darksider would have to argue every point I made so why should I bother?

Hicks
02-24-2006, 12:25 PM
It wouldn't kill me but some darksider would have to argue every point I made so why should I bother?

Hit someone in the head with a pebble, and it might hurt, but not much else. Throw a BAG of pebbles at someone's head, and you're causing some damage.

In other words, it can get the ball rolling.

Hicks
02-24-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't like the depression-fests either, but I do enjoy reading well-thought out critical analyses of the games. Peck and UB usually do a good job of presenting the good with the bad.

I agree. I'm focusing on the other negatives that get thrown out. Stuff that says we're not good enough, we can't get it done, everything we did wrong we couldn't have stopped because the other team's just that good, or we're not capable of doing better, *insert players I don't like here* just aren't that good, are overrated, and may need to be traded, etc.

Unclebuck
02-24-2006, 12:39 PM
What happened Harmonica, after 2 years I finally get used to your name and now it is changed.

Hicks, I saw a lot of things I liked last night, but I can't post everyone of my thoughts. It seemed to me that the Pistons were in complete control the whole game and the Pacers were just overmatched. If I didn't know the score I would have thought the Pistons were ahead by 15-20 the whole night. They manhandled us.

Pacers did show some toughness and grit to stay in the game for the most part, but I just felt the Pacers were hanging on by their pinky finger the whole night and it didn't take much for the Pacers to lose their tenious grip

Will Galen
02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Scott, I'm not saying the Pacers are ready to win the championship tomorrow, but I am saying we could of (and should of) beat Detroit. We have the guys to do it. We lost last night not because Detroit out-played us, but because we didn't play good basketball.

I don't know, I guess I get discouraged when I come on to this message board after a loss like last night, and I'm expecting more threads to be how I feel, and most of them aren't. Especially when they are coming from PD's elite and people who I agree with 95% of the time.

Billups is quoted as saying the Pistons couldn't get it in sync against the Pacers. It was obvious that the Pacers were playing different from the get go. I said as much early in the game thread. For one the Pistons took away our pick and roll.

Now both teams and both fan bases will probably give excuses why their team couldn't hit their stride. I think the truth is each team was disrupting the other so neither team got comfortable.

Detroit's better than the Pacers, but if it would have been Jackson or some other Pacer hit those long threes that Resheed was hitting the Pacers would have likely won.

Things being equal last night the Pistons would still have won because they have played together longer. They're the vet ball club.

Still come playoff time I think the Pacers, if healthy, will be a very hard out for the Pistons. I don't think the Pistons could survive an injury to one of their starters.

Another thought is the Pacers should give Dan and David as many minutes as they can stand for the rest of the season to get them ready for the playoffs. They give Detroit trouble.

Hicks
02-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Off topic posts have been given their own thread here:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19547

CableKC
02-24-2006, 01:41 PM
If we are able to have a full healthy roster by March 17th ( hopefully around the projected time when JONeal returns from his injury and when Artest returns to Conseco), this should give the Pacers roster a full 20 games before the start of the playoffs for them to ( hopefully ) adjust to each other.

If we are able to get to that point....I would be in favor of playing the Pistons in the 1st round. I would much rather take a healthy full roster of Pacers ( with JONeal, Tinsley and Croshere in the lineup ) into the Palace at Auburn Hills ( and potentially losing in the 1st round ) then wait till the 2nd round of the playoffs ( if we even make it there ) when there is a greater chance that anybody gets injured.

The best chance that the Pacers have to beat the Pistons is with a full and healthy roster. If we somehow beat them....win or lose the rest of the way....we could get the "proverbial" monkey off our backs...once and for all.

bulletproof
02-24-2006, 01:45 PM
What happened Harmonica, after 2 years I finally get used to your name and now it is changed.

I had connection problems a few days ago and my provider had me reset my browser and for some reason I can't log on with Harmonica, but I can with bulletproof. Go figure.

Skaut_Ech
02-24-2006, 02:03 PM
I personally don't think it's been a depression-fest. :dunno:I think there's some disappointment, but I also think, overall, everyone's pretty optimistic. I know I am. It's just a bit humbling to watch a master at work, and that's what we saw last night. The pistons were a machine with everyone playing their roles perfectly. I think we all see the Pacers have the personell to do the same thing. We just got beat where in counts most...in our minds.

Hell, on paper, 3/4 of the rosters in the NBA looks like they can take the Pistons, but I gotta tell ya, it was like watching Jordan or Bird against us in the old days. You hate them for beating their team, but you admire the hell out of how they play.

To me, I think there would be some validity in complaining about the posts today if they were stuff like:

"Harrison sucks. We need to trade him"

"Carlisle is clueless"

"Maybe we need to blow this team up."

No one's even said anything close. :grinno:

I think everyone's just a little taken back how smoothly the Piston's machine fired. I think we forget sometimes how impressive bball can be played. I've seen barely any posts actually slamming our boys.

Bball
02-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Right now there's no reason for doom and gloom for losing to the Pistons (especially when we could at least hang around for much of the game). Earlier this year when we lost to Philly...at home... on the home opener... or was blown out by the Bobcats and some of those type losses... THAT was a reason for doom and gloom.

Detroit is the better team. Not unbeatable but very tough to beat. Better managed. Better put together. Better.

Skaut has already given them the trophy and taken it from the Spurs.

I picked on Fred because when you play those type of teams there is no margin for error. Of course they will force you into mistakes, but you have to rise above that and be smarter than to continually fall into the trap. And you have to play fundamentally sound. He failed on both counts. Continually. It's debatable whether a top notch Freddie performance would've won the game for us, but it's guaranteed a subpar performance like we saw last night will sink us. That's why I was a little disappointed we just didn't get him off the court.

OTOH, it's a long season. Carlisle stuck with what has been working for the most part and didn't yank a player for one bad game. He mostly played the system rather than throwing the kitchen sink at any one game.

-Bball

Since86
02-24-2006, 02:28 PM
Some of you guys act like the Pistons beat up your wife, and stole your dog, (which I wouldn't put past some of them btw ;) I KID, I KID!)

Others cry about blaming players, then blame the coach.

And others just blame anyone and everything.

It's one game, regular season to boot.

Do I hate to lose? Yes, but guess what, the sun was still in the air this morning when I woke up. I'm actually starting to hope the Ps win every game just so I don't read end-of-the-world posts on here anymore.

Will Galen
02-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Some of you guys act like the Pistons beat up your wife, and stole your dog, (which I wouldn't put past some of them btw ;) I KID, I KID!)

Others cry about blaming players, then blame the coach.

And others just blame anyone and everything.

It's one game, regular season to boot.

Do I hate to lose? Yes, but guess what, the sun was still in the air this morning when I woke up. I'm actually starting to hope the Ps win every game just so I don't read end-of-the-world posts on here anymore.

Your the only one with an end of the world post.

That's what would happen if the Sun actually was in the vicinity of the Earth's air.(grin)

Since86
02-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Your the only one with an end of the world post.

That's what would happen if the Sun actually was in the vicinity of the Earth's air.(grin)

Stickler :smart:

beast23
02-24-2006, 05:50 PM
I've read a couple of posts that stated that the Pistons had their way with us the whole game. That they pretty much coasted on auto-drive until they, or rather Rasheed, decided to kick it into high gear and extend their lead to 20 points midway through Q4.

Now, I've already admitted that the Pistons are a much better team than what we are able to put on the floor. But I will add this, if the Pisitons truly just go through the motions until they decide to shift into overdrive, might this not be a dangerous thing for them?

As Pacer fans, even we have experienced times when we've allowed an inferior team to "hang around" a bit too long. Then what happens? About the time that your team should be shifting into high gear, the inferior bunch of boogers knock down a few shots, and suddenly, your opponent is the team with all the momentum.

We have a team capable of playing such a role. We have decent perimeter shooters, we have men that can board, and once Jermaine is back we will have a much-improved post-up presence. Our guys can play the half-court and they've proven recently that they can play a motion offense and run a little.

It's true that other than Jermaine, and possibly Peja, we would not have a single starter that is the equal of his counterpart on the Pistons. But we also have a team that, if not put away early, is capable of hanging around and gaining momentum at just the right time. Our team is not Detroit's equal, not by a long shot. But with the number of shooters that we have, we are capable of going from cold to hot with our perimeter game, thereby snatching victory from the claws of defeat in a reasonably close game.

Maybe we have the Pistons right where we want them. Huh?

Now, how's that for a flowery bunch of BS and seeing the positive side of a defeat?

Skaut_Ech
02-24-2006, 07:23 PM
I like it, beast! lol

BabbleOn
02-24-2006, 10:34 PM

In all fairness, you are a Pacer's fan. IOW, you're not exactly trained to watch the same starting five day in and day out. :P

I do worry about this sometimes. The Detroit bench is designed to rest the starters for a few minutes, but it's not designed to change the complexion of the game, which is something Dallas and SanAn come both do with their benches. Seems as though it would make coaching against Detroit a wee bit easier.

Some might counter this by mentioning McDyess. But we always call him the Sixth Starter around here, and that's just what it's like. He doesn't necessarily change the complexion of the game, he's not a spark off the bench; rather, he's someone who keeps things steady when a Wallace sits.

Angle
02-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Ofcourse we're not in their class. We're playing without a top-12 player and our very productive starting point guard. Not to mention we're basically a new team thats yet to play any signifigant minutes together. Just give it time for everyone to heal up and for chemistry to develop. An inside-outside JO/Peja scoring duo? DG continuing his journey towards stardom, stuffing the stats\ sheets on his way there? David Harrison is also looking like one of the most promising young centers in the NBA, big fella can score inside, rebound, and block shots. He's as old school as an 8-track player and I'm lovin it.

owl
02-26-2006, 08:47 AM
Well apparently the Pacers are not in the Atlanta Hawks class either.
Is that good or bad? :-)

owl

Moses
02-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Is that good or bad? :-)

owl
Fixed. :laugh:

PacerMan
02-26-2006, 12:39 PM

That would take rational observation and a certain level of maturity.
Not going to happen here............ ;)