PDA

View Full Version : Conrad: What Has Enabled Harrison’s Turnaround?

Raskolnikov
02-23-2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

</B>

<TABLE borderColor=#003366 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=90 align=left bgColor=#ffcc00 border=2><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/conrad_brunner.jpg QUESTION
OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Q. At the beginning of the season, David Harrison could not get a break, always seemed to be in foul trouble, always seemed to be in the wrong spot on offense and defense and looked very unhappy. However, over the last few games it seemed to turn completely around for him and it is really helping the Pacers. What is the reason for the quick turnaround? (Kirven in Sacramento, Calif.)
A. As you can probably tell from watching him play, Harrison is a very emotional guy. When he's up, it's obvious in everything he does. When he's down, it's as clear as the slump in his shoulders. And he's been through some emotional tests this year. After his strong summer, he fully expected to move right into the rotation and begin playing a prominent role. While he had that opportunity, he struggled with it due to many of the same problems that plagued him last season – namely foul trouble, defense and defensive rebounding. Then came the lower back spasms that kept him on the sidelines and out of the rotation for a few weeks.
He moved into the starting lineup in early January and began to play much more effectively, which was a needed boost for his confidence but the team continued to struggle. When Coach Rick Carlisle moved Jeff Foster and Scot Pollard into the starting lineup together, that opened up a prominent role as the first big man off the bench and Harrison has thrived. Though he still has a tendency to let his frustrations get the better of him, he generally has been much more consistent, forceful and effective. In the last seven games, he has averaged 9.9 points and 6.0 rebounds while shooting 54.2 percent from the field. His season-long battle with the free-throw line continues (he's at a Dudley-esque .419) but because there is no obvious hitch in his shot, appears to be the kind of problem that is correctable with practice and confidence (he's made eight of his last 13). He may have had unrealistic expectations of himself early and allowed the initial struggle to have too big an impact on his confidence. Lately, he has looked much more comfortable in his role and that has been reflected in performance.

Raskolnikov
02-23-2006, 12:14 PM
while shooting 54.2 percent from the field
I really like this part.

RWB
02-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Also he's been allowed to make some mistakes without having to worry about never seeing the floor again.

Pacesetter
02-23-2006, 02:24 PM
If I could shake Big Dave's hand, I would and be honored doing so. He has worked really hard on his weak areas, and he's done well polishing up his strengths. I love his demeanor right now, and can just tell he's working hard in practices ... he reminds me of a super troop ... someone you can count on in a battle, someone who just needs a mentor to groom him. He's still a little wet behind the ears, but this dog's got some big feet! ;) :)

Go Dave!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

CableKC
02-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Big Men take time to develop. As long as Carlisle let's him play until his 4th PF....then I am happy with whatever he does.

As they say...you can't teach size.....and the one thing that Harrison does is take up space in the paint. He just needs to learn how to effectively use his body in the paint.

SoupIsGood
02-23-2006, 04:31 PM
Wait, I thought he was a lazy *** and wasn't even an NBA quality player? What happened to all of his boo birds earlier on in the season? Those that said he didn't deserve to see any time...?

317Kim
02-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Wait, I thought he was a lazy *** and wasn't even an NBA quality player? What happened to all of his boo birds earlier on in the season? Those that said he didn't deserve to see any time...?

HULK SMASHed..that's what happened :nod:

Raskolnikov
02-23-2006, 04:39 PM
REVENGE for the SoupMan! :evillaugh:

SoupIsGood
02-23-2006, 04:40 PM
REVENGE for the SoupMan! :evillaugh:

:laugh:

Tim
02-23-2006, 04:46 PM

The answer is simple, Play David or Trade David.

He may never be an all star but he will be servicable.

Anthem
02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Agreed. Conrad's right, of course, but the answer could have been summed up in two words:

Playing time.

Roaming Gnome
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Soup, you were right....

I never called David lazy, but I figured the coaching staff had known best on Hulk's lack of playing time and that he deserved to be sitting due to possible poor practice habbits. I do enjoy watching Hulk and hope that he develops into a decent presence in the post for us.

Pacesetter
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM

Uh, uh, uh .... :D ;)

SjA3837
02-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Yeah, there were quite a bit of people saying the "reason" for David not playing much, was because he had a bad work ethic.

SoupIsGood
02-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Well SIG, I only saw the end of the third and 4th quarter, but David showed his "attitude" or what ever you want to call it with that stupid tech. The sad part was I saw it coming, I was just thinking to myself "he cant keep his mouth shut, he is going to get a "T""

:rolleyes:

ChicagoJ
02-24-2006, 11:35 AM
Agreed. Conrad's right, of course, but the answer could have been summed up in two words:

Playing time.

That's all we've (Harrison's biggest fans) been asking for. Lo and behold, its working!!

SoupIsGood
02-24-2006, 05:00 PM
Sorry, next time Ill refrain from posting criticism.....
:thumbsup: