PDA

View Full Version : How do I become an apprentice?

scar
02-22-2006, 09:42 PM
I turn 20 years old next month, and it's about that point in my life where I need to move on. My mother's on and off boyfriend is an electrician of 40 years. I asked her to ask him what it would take for me to be an electrician. He said I needed to find someplace that would hire me as an apprentice. That's fine and dandy and all, but I need more information than that. I don't know how these programs work. I was hoping that someone here would have some information about this. I'm not going thru college. Just wanted to get that out there right away.

Stryder
02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
Ask him if he could help you....

scar
02-22-2006, 11:26 PM
Ask him if he could help you....

He lives down around Kokomo. I live all the way up near Goshen.

Los Angeles
02-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Call the local union.

Most trade unions have workshops and certification classes. After that, you use the union connections to get an apprenticeship with one of thier members. If you do well in the class, that shouldn't be too hard.

During your first few year working, live cheaply and establish a business account at a decent bank. If you grow a healthy balance in that account, before you know it they'll give you a business line of credit or a business loan that can launch your own business. And that's when you start bidding on jobs yourself (just by reading ads in the paper, etc.).

And that's when the real money starts rolling in.

Good luck!

Kaufman
02-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Although not an option for everyone, have you considered college or community college? It might be helpful in making you a bit more marketable.