PDA

View Full Version : More USA National Team News

Fool
02-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Bowen accepts NT invite.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA022106.4D.bowen.usa.d248e0a.html

Johnny Ludden
San Antonio Express-News

Bruce Bowen walked outside Monday morning to pick up his newspaper and was surprised by what else he found on his doorstep.

A contract from USA Basketball.

The paperwork was a formal invitation for Bowen to participate in USA Basketball's training camp in July in Las Vegas. Only 22 NBA players will be invited to the camp, which will be used to determine the U.S. national team for this summer's World Championships in Japan and the 2008 Olympics in Beijing.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant and Cleveland's LeBron James are among the other players who have committed for the camp. Bowen wasted no time in signing the contract Monday and mailing it back to USA Basketball.

"I've accomplished a lot in my career," Bowen said. "But this is an opportunity to represent my country."

USA Basketball isn't expected to announce the complete group of players until March 1.

Bowen, who has said all season he would love to be picked, further impressed officials with his enthusiasm last weekend. After traveling from San Antonio to Miami Thursday to be with his family for the All-Star break, Bowen flew back to Houston on Friday to meet with Jerry Colangelo, USA Basketball's managing director.

"I didn't really have any questions for him," Bowen said, "because I was just so excited for the opportunity."

Between his defense and timely 3-point shooting, Bowen can provide two skills Team USA needs. Bowen, who turns 35 in June, will be one of the oldest players in the camp, but he has proven to be durable, having started 324 consecutive games for the Spurs.

"The thing (Colangelo) is trying to do is build a team, and on that team you have superstars and role players," Bowen said. "They're looking for players that don't have to have the ball the whole time, who can continue to cheer on a teammate even though they might not be getting shots.

"It's an opportunity for me to do what I do."

Let another bigotry laden thread begin!

naptownmenace
02-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Has Tayshaun Prince been invited? If not, he's the type of player that they should invite. Kirk Hinrich would be a good choice as well.

I still think they should ask Brad Miller and or Chris Kaman to join. They need some big men that can knock down the outside shot.

Hicks
02-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Let the injuries to foreign stars mount! ;)

FrenchConnection
02-22-2006, 10:34 AM
Everybody at the World Championships not on team USA had better wear a cup!

Slick Pinkham
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
It's actually great news that they are going after some non-superstars to be role players, guys who are thrilled to be in that situation and have a reputation of working HARD.

The all-star team concept is flawed and finally USA basketball realizes that.

jcouts
02-22-2006, 10:45 AM
At least we won't have to worry about Ginobili pouring in 40 on us if Bowen's on the roster...

rexnom
02-22-2006, 11:11 AM
I just hope Bowen gets playing time. If he's just buried on the bench then why even have him? He needs to play minutes guarding the best player on the other team. We don't need five players who all can pour in 30. Bowen can contribute timely shooting and besides, how often do stars put up huge numbers in international competition?

Kestas
02-22-2006, 02:01 PM
At least we won't have to worry about Ginobili pouring in 40 on us if Bowen's on the roster...

who told you he's on your roster?
there are 20+ candidates already, most of them huge stars, a few - college superstars. only 12 will go to Japan. I'd say that only four or five have assured spots. otherwise it doesn't make sense. all of them will have to fight it out to be sellected for the tournaments. I wonder how some stars will react after they're not chosen (and some stars will not be chosen for sure).

circlecitysportsfan
02-22-2006, 02:06 PM
I think Bowen would be a good fit on the team. He can lock up your best player, on the other end he'll knock down three's all day long. I also agree with the poster who mentioned Prince, he'd be a good fit as well. I would put the whole Piston starting 5 on the team except Ben Wallace.

Kestas
02-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I also agree with the poster who mentioned Prince, he'd be a good fit as well.

Prince and Hamilton "will pass because of their expectations that the Pistons will be playing into June"

source:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0220allstarside0220.html

seems like you guys (and US press in general) are not very i nterested in all matters US NT.. that's unfortunate.

Kstat
02-22-2006, 02:38 PM
I wish they would re-consider, but I'm also not going to get THAT upset, since they play 1 1/2 months longer than most other players.

Fool
02-22-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm more disappointed in not seeing a Rip/Billups back court then Prince not going (I would probably even chose Bowen over Prince).

rexnom
02-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Prince and Hamilton "will pass because of their expectations that the Pistons will be playing into June"

source:
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0220allstarside0220.html

seems like you guys (and US press in general) are not very i nterested in all matters US NT.. that's unfortunate.

No, NBA matters more...but don't worry...I still think we have a decent shot of winning this thing. ;)

FreshPrince22
02-22-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm more disappointed in not seeing a Rip/Billups back court then Prince not going (I would probably even chose Bowen over Prince).

Bowen will be 38-39 come olympic time.

bulldog
02-22-2006, 08:02 PM
That's true, but some guys may not go to qualifying (or is it World Championships) this summer even if they commit to the Olympics for '08. You probably know better than me, but I've heard that's what Chauncey is considering.
They may go with Bown just for this summer or so to fill the spot.

Fool
02-23-2006, 08:04 AM

If he's still playing the same D and hitting that 3 in the corner I don't care if he's 83.