PDA

View Full Version : Will Jermaine be traded before the deadline?

Anthem
02-22-2006, 12:14 AM
It looks like there are two potential suitors out there. When combined with Jermaine's comments, I'm really starting to think something's going to happen.

Well?

Anthem
02-22-2006, 12:14 AM
Btown, note that it's a public poll.

Will Galen
02-22-2006, 12:16 AM
I don't think JO is going anywhere, and that's my official opinion!

denyfizle
02-22-2006, 12:17 AM
no, not before the trade deadline. maybe Jamaal.

Anthem
02-22-2006, 12:24 AM
I wish I could edit the poll options.

Any mods want to restart the poll and split "yes" into two or three?

New choices would be:

Yes, for KG
Yes, for Bosh
Yes, for someone else
No

sweabs
02-22-2006, 12:25 AM
I don't think we'd do something THAT major during the season. Especially without giving him the chance to fit in this new system we have going on.

I expect talks to heat up during this summer, however.

microwave_oven
02-22-2006, 12:29 AM
The actual poll question is "will JO be traded" and the answer is yes, whether that is before the deadline, I have no clue. I would expect something to happen this summer however.

Lord Helmet
02-22-2006, 01:06 AM
I really don't see us trading JO at this point.

But, anything can happen. Guess we'll find out early Thurday afternoon.

BoomBaby31
02-22-2006, 01:11 AM
This is a tuff question, yes he is 100% sure being shopped around. KG won't fit our system, Bosh would work but positive it won't be for KG to much salary not the right kind of player for our team. Bosh is young and what we need, matter of fact what we want. The only reason they won't deal JO is because other teams won't give us enough for him due to the injuries he has been having. Pacers are smart they aren't just going to let him go for anything they want something in return, like they did with Artest. The raptors should take note of that, even though that is ****ty they let Carter go for NO ONE and Jalen practically for no one but, we want Bosh and they won't let us have him. We even wanted to get them a good veteran player, maybe we should have offered Tornoto Pollard for Bosh then they would have done it lol...

Anthem
02-22-2006, 01:15 AM
KG won't fit our system, Bosh would work but positive it won't be for KG to much salary not the right kind of player for our team. Bosh is young and what we need, matter of fact what we want.
Sorry? :confused:

KG would be a PERFECT fit for our system.

I've got nothing against Bosh, but a frontline of Harrison/Bosh/Granger, while drool-enducing, seems young for an extended playoff run.

Aw Heck
02-22-2006, 01:19 AM
There's no way JO gets traded before the deadline unless KG or Bosh are suddenly put on the trading block in the next few days and a bidding war ensues. I think the Pacers would get into the mix if that were to happen.

I think some are forgetting how patient and conservative of a man that DW is. He's not going to feel any urgency to trade JO before the deadline when he can wait until the summer to do so. Until then, he'll wait for Jermaine to come back and see how he meshes with the team. Depending on how that goes, he may or may not actively seek trades this summer.

Bball
02-22-2006, 02:12 AM
I think JO's injury pretty much puts the kibosh(sp?) on any trades. You could look at it two ways:
1- He hasn't had a chance to fit in with the new look Pacers and see what we have.
2- Just like we supposedly backed off the Maggette deal because we weren't sure if he'd play this year, I could see potential trading partners for JO making the same decision in the end.

Just those two reasons would probably be enough for me to say it doesn't happen (let alone it would be trading the 'annointed face of the franchise') . And historically, with the playoffs looking like a lock Walsh doesn't make midseason trades. BUT there is something that makes me hedge my bet:
Scoreboard

We're winning without him, first. Second, his salary is very big. Very. Very. Big. Very.

I would think the first part mentioned in this post outweighs the second part... but not by much. Not if we were offered a very good player in return. But it takes two to tango... Not only would we need to be willing to trade JO but that another team would need to be willing to take on his salary and current injury (and 'sell' it to their fans).

I lean toward "no trade at the deadline" but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

-Bball

Merz
02-22-2006, 02:13 AM
Sorry? :confused:

KG would be a PERFECT fit for our system.

I agree. Many poster have wondered if JO could fit in due to not being much of a passer out of the post. Garnett is good for 5 assist a game out of the power forward spot and he might add a little to the rebounding (he is third in the league, 12.0 a game) that Foster, Pollard, Granger, and sometime Peja have provided the team.

But as for the poll question I doubt he'll get traded.

Fireball Kid
02-22-2006, 02:22 AM
No, he will not be traded before the deadline.

And thats all I have to say about that.

D-BONE
02-22-2006, 06:56 AM
My impression is "NO" by the deadline and "MAYBE" in the offseason, both of which together still don't catapult me to a "YES". Hence my "NO" vote. However, if either Bosh or KG were available for him, I would definitely pull the trigger. I'm not convinced either will be though.

Black Sox
02-22-2006, 08:30 AM
Jermaine will not be traded until he has only 2 years left on his contract or in his last year. You can't keep trading for youth (Bosh) because all that shows is that you are not committed to winning a championship. You're just happy with competing. You win championships with veterans not players being develop.

rexnom
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
I agree. Many poster have wondered if JO could fit in due to not being much of a passer out of the post. Garnett is good for 5 assist a game out of the power forward spot and he might add a little to the rebounding (he is third in the league, 12.0 a game) that Foster, Pollard, Granger, and sometime Peja have provided the team.

But as for the poll question I doubt he'll get traded.

I don't completely understand this argument. Forget that JO is an ok passer given the opportunity (which Carlisle has not given him nor has he taken as there haven't really been any consistent threats on the outside...until now), how does he hurt us here? Foster and Pollard fit in perfectly in our system, right? And they are excellent passers out of the post? :confused:

Jermaine gives us someone who can actually finish well around the hoop (unlike Foster and Pollard) and is experienced and gets all the "veteran calls" (unlike Harrison). If Foster, Harrison, and Pollard can get in double figures, J.O. should be able to get 30 every night. Easily. Sure, he might need to box out more but you put him with Pollard or Harrison and that isn't a problem. Even with Foster we should be ok. Peja or Granger at the 3 too. We have plenty of rebounders to cover up JO's miscues (can't believe I'm saying that about a consistent 9-10 rpg player but whatever). As long as Croshere isn't at the 4 with JO at 5.

Also, why not believe that JO will fit in well? He has already said more times this year than last year that he wants to fit in. He even said how many times he wants to shoot and that he'll be asking for the ball less (implying that he was asking for the ball a lot before, it wasn't just Rick). Also, people, we have Peja Stojakovic now. A consistent perimeter scorer who makes others on the perimeter better (see AJ and Jack). More consistent than Reggie was in the past few years! (at least in the regular season). How can you ignore this or the fact that Peja and Jack work extremely well off of each other. They are a nightmare for any team (including the Pistons and the Spurs). Why would the offense be completely in the post now? JO used to be our only consistent option so of course we're throwing it down to him. But now we've got three players scoring consistently (not counting the fact that we pretty much have 8 guys who all can go for double figures on any given night...yeah, we're deep) and two of them play mostly on the perimeter.

I think J.O. will be a great fit and I can't wait. Especially since he says he wants to come back fully healthy this year. If he fails then let's look into offers. Until then, however, let's at least give the guy a chance. If handled right this could be a very dangerous team. Fundamentally, this is a very well built team all of a sudden.