PDA

View Full Version : RealGM- "Serious Discussions" KG for FRYE, PENNY

rel
02-21-2006, 10:54 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/39251/20060221/garnett_to_the_big_apple/

Garnett To The Big Apple?
21st February, 2006 - 10:51 pm

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/profiles/photos/2006/Garnett_Kevin_min.jpgChristopher Reina/RealGM - A source close to the participants in the talks told Christopher Reina late Tuesday night that New York and Minnesota are in serious and ongoing discussions about a deal which would send Kevin Garnett to the Knicks in exchange for Penny Hardaway and Channing Frye. Isiah Thomas, who has called Frye untouchable all season, is willing to give up the sought after rookie to land the future Hall of Famer.

Garnett has made it clear to the front office that should he be dealt, he wants to go to New York and that wish will be fulfilled if the Timberwolves decide to end the KG era and begin to rebuild. They reportedly respect Garnett and all that he has done for both the franchise and the area not to trade him to his preferred team.

The question of if the Wolves want to move on without Garnett will be the deciding factor in whether a trade gets completed before Thursday.

This deal delayed last week's Knicks discussions with the Magic regarding Steve Francis and it is why it will be Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor going to Orlando for their first time, instead of Hardaway’s second. That deal is all but complete, but Orlando is waiting to see if Denver returns to the table before the deadline.

If the Wolves choose to retain Garnett, the Knicks will turn to Denver and Kenyon Martin, a player that Larry Brown covets.

SoupIsGood
02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
Frye for Garnett??? Gotta be joking!

pizza guy
02-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Wow, that's weird.

Kstat
02-21-2006, 10:57 PM
THis seems like wishful thinking to me.

BoomBaby31
How are the Knicks going to stay under "cap" with all of these new high priced players? It is almost like the Knicks are trade happy, like in Live or 2k when you GM your team and trade everyone after each game lol

rel
JO and someone > Frye and Penny...

i'd rather get the real KG than the "potential KG" (bosh)

Shade
02-21-2006, 10:58 PM
That's insane. Zeke would automatically be a genius if that went down.

C - Curry
PF - KG
SF - Jalen
SG - Francis
PG - Marbury

WOW.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Marbury
Francis
Lee/smb else
Garnett
Curry

Might win 20 in a row, or continue losing. In any case, looks more worth following than
Marbury
Nate Robinson
Lee
Somebody
Curry

btowncolt
02-21-2006, 11:02 PM
Hee hee.

Shade
02-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Surely Minny would covet JO more than Frye?

JO, KG, Bosh, and Frye could all swap teams. Wow.

Anthem
02-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Loyalty's great and all, but if they're willing to move KG, wouldn't it make more sense to do KG for JO/Tinsley?

Shade
02-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Would Minnesota be interested in Bosh more than Frye? And if it's cap space they're wanting, AD could be included:

:thepacers get:
Kevin Garnett

:timberwol get:
Chris Bosh
Antonio Davis
Jamaal Tinsley

:raptors: get:
Jermaine O'Neal

ghost
02-21-2006, 11:12 PM
If this would happen that would change my opinion about Thomas 100%.
Opinion about McHale stays the same.
:D

Jermaniac
02-21-2006, 11:16 PM
This is DOO DOO, bet you its not true.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Would Minnesota be interested in Bosh more than Frye? And if it's cap space they're wanting, AD could be included:

Kevin Garnett

Chris Bosh
Antonio Davis
Jamaal Tinsley

Jermaine O'Neal

That would be the biggest trade news since Shaq's trade.
It would make me think better of every GM included, maybe except of Waine Embry.

EDIT: for some reason I thought Garnett was going to Toronto in this deal. In it's present form (AD and Bosh for Jermaine) it would be bad for the Raptors.

Cactus Jax
02-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah I think Tinsley would have to go to Toronto, or a couple picks.

BoomBaby31
02-22-2006, 01:16 AM
I think we go for Bosh... NO KG on the Pacers PLLLEEAASSEEE no KG... PLEASE just keep JO... NO KG on the Pacers... NO get the hint? lol KG isn't an Indiana type player it isn't going to happen, plus if the Pacers are going to keep a veteran they might as well keep JO. They want youth remember years ago when they traded double D for O'neal. That is what they are trying to do with JO. They want Bosh, for sure I say give Tinsley and JO for Bosh and a Pick or just do it even. Bosh would save us cap and be just as effective. Plus that trade wouldn't work rumor has it Raptors don't want JO for Bosh so why would they give up Davis and Bosh and only recieve JO. I doesn't pan out, MAYBE a trade could go for KG just between the pacers and Wolves but, it won't happen a three way like that. Believe me LB and DW would Trade JO for Bosh if they had thier oppurunity. I think it will end up Tornoto with JO and Tins... Us with Bosh and a round pick or a medium oker pg.

CableKC
02-22-2006, 02:03 AM
1 ) Garnett for Penny+Frye does work in the ESPN trade machine.

2 ) I haven't popped over to the Knicks RealGM Forum....but I am guessing that 1/2 the Knicks fans are creaming themselves over the possiblility of getting KG....while the other 1/2 is saying that the TWolves would have to throw in McCants and a 1st round pick if they have to give up Frye.

3 ) This article offers insight into what Zeke wants ( duh....KG ), supposedly what KG wants ( "I MUST GO TO NY" ) but makes a huge assumption as to what the TWolves Front office would do if they decided to move him ( as in bowing to KGs wishes to trade him to NY simply cuz he has done so much for the franchise ).

Although I do not keep track of what KG says or does on a regular basis...I do not recall him ever saying that if he were to be traded that he would want to go to NY....much less specifying what team that he would want to be traded to. Even if moving KG means that they are rebuilding.......is Frye ( coupled with a ton of cap space in Penny ) the best player ( much less trade ) that the TWolves can get?

I don't know about you....but if McHale pretty much decided to simply move KG but limited his negotiations to a few GMs....like Zeke....then he should be fired as the GM of the TWolves. Not only opening up the "bid" for KG to a few GMs ( and not the rest of the market ) be stupid.......but deciding to reward KG for his years of loyal service and moving him to his "supposed" preferred destination could potentially cripple the TWolves chance of truly rebuilding. The only reason why I could see McHale doing this is if he TRULY believes that Frye is a franchise player to build around ( and from what we have seen of him.....he's gonna be a pretty good PF....but not franchise player material ).

4 ) I think that Zeke truly made a deal with the devil and can truly manipulate other GMs into doing his bidding. The other possiblity is that I think that the Knicks rumor machine is running in overdrive spewwing out any trade rumor to give the Knicks fans hope that their season can be saved and that Zeke is doing everything in his vast powers to save a dying organization. I wouldn't be surprised if Zeke is simply revving his engines and spinning his wheels but ultimately going nowhere.

NOTE - Am I going overboard here with Zeke here?

Kingsfanbmiller
02-22-2006, 02:54 AM
1 ) Garnett for Penny+Frye does work in the ESPN trade machine.

You mean the ESPN real gm ripoff machine.

rexnom
02-22-2006, 04:43 AM
If this really does happen then Mchale passes Isiah and becomes the worst GM in the NBA easily. I don't think he's this stupid. If this deal happens I will be VERY surprised.

Btw, ESPN may have ripped real GM off but they bettered the trade machine, it's much easier to go back and change things on it. It's just better.

Unclebuck
02-22-2006, 07:27 AM
That's insane. Zeke would automatically be a genius if that went down.

C - Curry
PF - KG
SF - Jalen
SG - Francis
PG - Marbury

WOW.

This isn't fantasy basektball league. That lineup would be a disaster. Although I guess it might be a little better than what they have now.

sixthman
02-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Loyalty's great and all, but if they're willing to move KG, wouldn't it make more sense to do KG for JO/Tinsley?

No, I don't think so. They wouldn't want another giant cap eater salary.

rexnom
02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
No, I don't think so. They wouldn't want another giant cap eater salary.
Um, why not? It's not like Minnesota attracts free agents. If they do this trade they would get two players locked up for a long time. Two players better than pretty much most players they would be able to attract through free agency. Why free up cap space when you don't have a big name to resign or want to attract free agents.

Look at Toronto, Phoenix, and Denver.Toronto is freeing up cap space to resign Mike James and get maybe a smaller salary free agent. Then it's looking to save some room for Chris Bosh. Bosh is restricted and they can match any huge offer he may get. And Phoenix? Well, they were more successful than any other team at this. Denver also did it very successfully.Very attractive to free agents, apparently. Minnesota (if it trades KG) won't really have any big names to resign nor will it be a very attractive place for free agents.

Bottom line: If KG wants out and the Pacers offer JO and Tinsley, the Wolves should take it...not so sure we should...

bread
02-22-2006, 09:44 AM
For those of you suggesting that we trade JO for Bosh or JO/Tins for KG, I'm guessing you mean this summer because I don't think either McHale or Embry is stupid enough to trade for these guys right now because they are both injured. Not to mention that Tins is BYC so that would not make sense for us.

Slick Pinkham
02-22-2006, 09:57 AM
This is the Knicks trying to pump up the reputation/value of Frye. Everyone asks for him, and they are getting the word out that they only will accept hall-of-fame type players for him, which is completely absurd.

Gyron
02-22-2006, 11:22 AM
If Isiah pulls this off, he is a much better sales man than I thought he was.

CableKC
02-22-2006, 12:15 PM
You mean the ESPN real gm ripoff machine.
Yes.....the ESPN Real GM ripoff machine.

I was doing my impression of Chad Ford.

CableKC
02-22-2006, 12:29 PM
This is the Knicks trying to pump up the reputation/value of Frye. Everyone asks for him, and they are getting the word out that they only will accept hall-of-fame type players for him, which is completely absurd.
I really think that this is what is happening......Zeke is on a burning ship...his "publicity" machine is making it seem like he is moving heaven and Earth to save a franchise that he has slowly burned to the ground. That's why we keep on seeing rumors that the Knicks are interested in every other Starter every other day.

Maybe this is part of his plan.....a plan starting with "Frye is untouchable" and ending with Zeke's attempt to establish a market for him.

How many reporters have said that Zeke would not move Frye for other legit players? No Frye for Artest, No Frye for KMart, No Frye for Odom....and then all of a sudden.......Frye would only be available for KG? Although I don't blame him for not wanting to move Frye for Artest or KMart ( despite the fact that they are players that Brown would love on his team )......that does seem a little far fetched.

I am curious to find out from GMs what they really think of Frye. I think he's talented....but there is nothing that he has done in his rookie year that screams "Franchise player" to me. If he was that good......Brown would be playing him way more then he is playing him now.

Since86
02-22-2006, 01:33 PM

Kevin Garnett

Chris Bosh
Antonio Davis
Jamaal Tinsley

Jermaine O'Neal

So let me get this straight.

Toronto has supposedly already turned down a two team JO/Bosh swap.

What makes you think they'd go for a round about 3 team JO/Bosh swap??

It's the same exact trade that Toronto "already" turned down for them, just the Pacers getting something different from Minnesota.