PDA

View Full Version : CNN-SI: Deal nearly complete for Steve Francis to be a Knick

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2006, 05:54 PM
according to this, it's just a matter of time, as Orlando just waits to see if they get a last-minute better offer.

poor Rimfire aka Displaced Knick,

now would be a good time to leave the dark side and join us in Pacerdom.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/marty_burns/02/21/francis/index.html

Could Stevie Franchise soon be bound for Broadway?

The Knicks and Magic are close to a deal that would send three-time All-Star guard Steve Francis to New York for a package of players, according to two league sources. Details of the trade were still being worked out, according to one of the sources, who emphasized that it had yet to be completed. The Magic apparently have decided to wait until the last minute before Thursday's trade deadline to see if any better offers come up.

If the trade goes through, it would represent yet another high-profile acquisition for Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who already has added Larry Brown, Quentin Richardson, Eddy Curry and Jalen Rose this season alone. The 6-foot-3 Francis has averaged 19.4 points, 6.0 rebounds and 6.4 assists over his seven-year NBA career. He would join Stephon Marbury to form a backcourt with a combined five All-Star appearances.

The Knicks apparently are ready to send three players, including two regular members of the rotation, to Orlando in the deal. Neither team's officials will comment on any ongoing trade talks, but it is likely Jamal Crawford and Maurice Taylor would be included. The Magic are in a rebuilding mode, and the 6-5 Crawford is considered an intriguing young talent who would be able to step in and help fill the team's hole at shooting guard. Taylor would likely be included to help make the salaries match Francis' $13.7 million a year.

Francis, who was traded from Houston to Orlando last season as part of the Tracy McGrady deal, has been unhappy with his role this season under new Magic coach Brian Hill. Last month he refused to re-enter a game late in a blowout loss at Seattle, and was suspended two games. He later apologized, but the Magic soon after decided to listen to offers for a possible trade.

Francis, who celebrates his 29th birthday Tuesday, might welcome a change of scenery. He clearly has looked frustrated this season, and heads into the post All-Star break averaging career-lows in points (16.3) rebounds (4.8), assists (5.7) and three-point shooting (25.7 percent). He recently came out and admitted his play had become affected by constant trade rumors.

As of last week, the Nuggets were considered the front-runner to acquire Francis in a trade. But Denver reportedly was leery of picking up the remainder of his contract (three years, $49 million). The Knicks, already owners of the league's highest payroll, have no such concerns.

indytoad
02-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I think there must've been a clause in the Detroit trade that Orlando has to do everything in their power to be as bad as possible for the next few years.

IndyToad
Hornblower

Merz
02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
I think there must've been a clause in the Detroit trade that Orlando has to do everything in their power to be as bad as possible for the next few years.

IndyToad
Hornblower
I think getting rid of Francis will help after the way he has played this season.

D-BONE
02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
What ARE the Knicks doing? Is there any hope this will turn out in anything other than adding fuel to the fire of their current train wreck roster?

rexnom
02-21-2006, 06:36 PM
I am just disappointed that they are trading away Jamal Crawford. Like I said before, that was gonna make one kick-butt NBA Live 07 team. You could put five shoot first, ask questions later out there running around like crazy. It would have been awesome. Who cares if Quentin Richardson would be playing center? That would been the most fun video game team ever. Like any of us care about defense on video games anyways.

Slick Pinkham
02-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I think Isiah is actually trying to make Larry Brown insane.

Marbury & Francis & QRich & Jalen together for 2 weeks and I imagine LB in a rubber room saying

play the right way...
play the right way...
play the right way...
play the right way...
15 minutes to Wheel of Fortune...

Chauncey
02-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Would be a great deal for the Magic.

N8R
02-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Stupid Knicks

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.fiyastarter.com/fs-pages/fs-sports-nbarank05-15.html

Prediction: Isiah will make a trade this week and every white basketball analyst that works for ESPN will **** all over the deal and talk about the salary cap, no matter how good the deal is for the Knicks.

DisplacedKnick
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
Amazingly - the trade's almost a wash. Crawford's been horrible this season - never friggin' drives the ball even though his shot sucks. Mo's been better than I expected, which still isn't good.

It's better this way than using Penny's deal - either Dolan told Zeke, "No more" or he has something else in mind (the Theo/Miles rumor seems to have the most legs).

But Francis and Marbury together in the backcourt is a scary thing.

At some point all you can do is laugh.

Hicks
02-21-2006, 07:21 PM
Prediction: Isiah will make a trade this week and every white basketball analyst that works for ESPN will **** all over the deal and talk about the salary cap, no matter how good the deal is for the Knicks.

Great, let's bring racism to the thread! :yay:

:tongue:

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Great, let's bring racism to the thread! :yay:

:tongue:

Several times each week, while I read how terrible Isiah is, a thought comes to my mind: "Can someone really be that bad?". The next thought usually is: "Please tell smth else for a change".

Racism isn't the best change, but it's still a change:)

Jermaniac
02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Marbury
Francis
Jalen
Frye
Eddy Curry

LMAO

rexnom
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
You know what. I'm going go out on a limb. From where I'm sitting, why not? Unless a future first ala the Eddy Curry deal is involved, the Knicks have the advantage here. Marbury and Francis will probably crash and burn. Probably. What if Marbury and Francis by some miracle work out? They might even make that pick that the Bulls have a little worse. The Knicks are so messed up that I don't see why a try here is a bad idea. It doesn't really mortgage their future (unless a good pick or young player is involved, we don't know for sure, like I said) and they managed to keep any good contracts out of it (i.e. penny). Mo Taylor's expires in a year. That's an ok contract. It's not exactly a good one.

That being said, if this fails (very probable):

< insert Knicks joke here >

Anthem
02-21-2006, 08:13 PM
From a sheer talent standpoint, it's got to be a win for the Knicks.

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 08:34 PM
I would like that deal to happen simply because it'd be interesting. If that happened, I'd probably start to follow Knicks much more.

Can anyone remember any more interesting experiement in recent years? Two still rather young PGs/SGs somewhere between All Stars and "Franchise destroyers" and two young unproven PFs/Cs who have been titled as "the next Ewing" or "cornerstones" by the management of the team at least once each. Interesting coach on top of this. And two a bit above-average young guys (Lee and Robinson) who will probably never make the All-Star team, aren't that over-hyped as the other four of their teammates, can't be blamed for team's losses, have some nice dunking skills and thus help to keep attention of the fans when everything else goes wrong.

And all this - in New York, letting us to follow them very closely, and adding additional tension and pressure on them. God! It just hit me: I just described well known formula of every successfull TV reality show.

Moses
02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Sweet jesus..If my calculations are correct, having Jalen Rose, Steve Francis, and Starbury in the same backcourt causes the remaining balance and order in the universe to be completely gone. The apocolypse is coming my friends, only one more acquisition needs to be made for it to be complete. Allen Iverson/Baron Davis to the Knicks to play small foward.

Moses
02-21-2006, 10:30 PM
I would like that deal to happen simply because it'd be interesting. If that happened, I'd probably start to follow Knicks much more.

Can anyone remember any more interesting experiement in recent years? Two still rather young PGs/SGs somewhere between All Stars and "Franchise destroyers" and two young unproven PFs/Cs who have been titled as "the next Ewing" or "cornerstones" by the management of the team at least once each. Interesting coach on top of this. And two a bit above-average young guys (Lee and Robinson) who will probably never make the All-Star team, aren't that over-hyped as the other four of their teammates, can't be blamed for team's losses, have some nice dunking skills and thus help to keep attention of the fans when everything else goes wrong.

And all this - in New York, letting us to follow them very closely, and adding additional tension and pressure on them. God! It just hit me: I just described well known formula of every successfull TV reality show.
It just said on ESPN Isiah Thomas just offered 80 million over 5 years to Flava Flav. It's official.

Young
02-21-2006, 10:49 PM
NY is stupid. I can't believe that Larry Brown would let this happen.

Great chemistry they will have.
Marbury - Needs the ball
Francis - Needs the ball
Rose - Needs the ball
Curry - Needs the ball
Thomas = dumbass

rel
02-21-2006, 10:51 PM
wow...i feel SO bad for Channing Frye right now... :(

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 11:00 PM
By the way, Nuggets are not playing Kenyon Martin/Voshon Lenard today at all. Even though they are losing by 10+ points to the Bobcats (!). Nuggets are giving Kenyon's minutes to their rookie 2nd round forward Kleiza (who is using them really good, in particular on offense).

Kenyon and Lenard were romoured in New York trade as well...

Frank Slade
02-21-2006, 11:10 PM
By the way, Nuggets are not playing Kenyon Martin/Voshon Lenard today at all. Even though they are losing by 10+ points to the Bobcats (!). Nuggets are giving Kenyon's minutes to their rookie 2nd round forward Kleiza (who is using them really good, in particular on offense).

Kenyon and Lenard were romoured in New York trade as well...

K-mart is sitting out tonight with a knee injury , at least that's what was eported

Hicks
02-21-2006, 11:15 PM

Why?

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 11:16 PM
K-mart is sitting out tonight with a knee injury, at least that's what was eported

Smth like that was floating in my mind, but couldn't remember it for sure.

PS: Kleiza of Denver is very very consistent, as much as I was following him. And his stats are quite impressing for those 7 or 8 minutes per game he usually gets behind Carmelo and Kenyon. One of the most underrated rookies this season.

BoomBaby31
02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
To many people dieing for the ball that will be on the knicks. They will have a great offense but NO defense. Basketball doesn't need all superstars it just doesn't work out. Look at the 2004 Lakers, The old Jail Blazers, this years Heat, get a hint surely Brown can't be asking for these players. People assume you need the BEST players around, look at our team O'neal and Tinsely goes out and we play WAY best then have a throw to the middle everyone shoots later Offense. It brings me to tears to say this but that is why Detriot is so damn good because of sharing the ball and no real superstars. The same way with Spurs they have Duncan but, he isn't selfish and pass the ball before shoot. Knicks will be awesome on Nba 2k and Live 07 though lol. The nuggets backed off because they are in a deal trying to get Iverson as we speak. It just came across Espn, and it sounds like Iverson has a 75% chance of being a nuggetts in the next couple of days.

owl
02-21-2006, 11:25 PM
As of last week, the Nuggets were considered the front-runner to acquire Francis in a trade. But Denver reportedly was leery of picking up the remainder of his contract (three years, $49 million). The Knicks, already owners of the league's highest payroll, have no such concerns.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

The last line of this article just made me laugh out loud. Isaiah must be
thinking he is playing with Monopoly money. What a combination, Larry(who
wants to trade someone weekly), owners(who have more money than
the US), and Isaiah(mad basketball scientist). This is a combustible
mixture the likes of which the NBA has never seen.

owl

SwissExpress
02-21-2006, 11:29 PM
The nuggets backed off because they are in a deal trying to get Iverson as we speak. It just came across Espn, and it sounds like Iverson has a 75% chance of being a nuggetts in the next couple of days.

Wow. I wish that wasn't true. 76s and Nuggets would both loose some of their personality if that happens.

Still, I can easily imagine Iverson and Carmelo on a poster in that beautifull Nuggets' uniform. They would make a very easy-to-sell duo.

And it would make it easier for Sarunas to become an All-Star some day:)

rel
02-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Why?

having to be on a team ran by isiah and currently having a team full of "ballhogs"...

efx
02-22-2006, 12:20 AM
< isiah thomas >Big Contract? Career low numbers? Lockerroom cancer? Where do I sign? < /isiah thomas >

ChicagoJ
02-22-2006, 12:31 AM
I hope this goes through.

At least Isiah is clearly trying to make Brownie's life hell. And that's something I think is a great idea.

Slick Pinkham
02-22-2006, 01:47 PM
from ny times (must be registered)

February 22, 2006
Knicks' Deal for Francis Is More Likely Than Not
By HOWARD BECK

GREENBURGH, N.Y., Feb. 21 — The rebuilding effort by Isiah Thomas is as unsightly as promised, probably more so, and there is no telling whether his next bold move, which appears imminent, will make matters better or worse.

Thomas, the Knicks' president, has a deal in place to acquire guard Steve Francis from the Orlando Magic, and the trade could be completed as early as Wednesday, according to a person involved in the discussions. The person, who was granted anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about the negotiations publicly, said a trade bringing Francis to New York was "more likely than not."

Knicks officials would not confirm or deny that a deal was in place, but they have made no attempts to dispel the recent rumors about a Francis deal.

The current proposal, according to the person, would send guard Jamal Crawford, forward Maurice Taylor and possibly the swingman Trevor Ariza to Orlando. The Knicks would obtain Francis and forward Pat Garrity.

Penny Hardaway's expiring contract, which the Knicks have sought to use in a number of potential deals, would not be included in the Francis trade. Hardaway could still be moved in a deal to land one of the Knicks' other targets, among them Portland's Theo Ratliff and Darius Miles, and Denver's Earl Watson.

Francis, a three-time All-Star with the Houston Rockets, has had a rocky tenure with the Magic, which acquired him in June 2004 in a package for Tracy McGrady. The Magic suspended Francis for two games last month after he refused to re-enter a game against Seattle.

Francis later apologized, but the Magic began fielding trade offers, and Thomas — who has a history of gambling on expensive players with spotty r&#233;sum&#233;s — began his pursuit. Francis, who turned 29 on Tuesday, makes $13.8 million this season and is owed $48 million over the next three seasons.

Knicks officials believe their rebuilding effort — which Thomas called "ugly," "dirty," "bloody" and "embarrassing" Tuesday — would be accelerated by Francis, who has career averages of 19.4 points, 6.4 assists and 6 rebounds.

Like the Knicks' Stephon Marbury, Francis is a scoring point guard who has grated on teammates and coaches at times. The Knicks, however, envision Francis and Marbury forming a dangerous tandem, with each capable of running the offense, breaking down defenses off the dribble and scoring from anyplace on the court.

But neither is known for his defense, and neither Francis (6 foot 3) nor Marbury (6-2) has the size to defend opposing shooting guards.

Garrity, an eight-year veteran, would be acquired to meet N.B.A. rules that require a roughly equal amount of salary on each side of the deal. A skilled perimeter shooter, the 6-9 Garrity has a career .404 average beyond the 3-point line.

The league trading deadline is 3 p.m. Thursday, and a report on Sports Illustrated's Web site suggested that Orlando was waiting to see if a more attractive offer surfaced.

Orlando wants to rebuild around Dwight Howard, a 20-year-old power forward taken first over all in the 2004 draft.

At various times, the Knicks considered Crawford and Ariza to be key pieces of their rebuilding effort, and off-limits in trade talks. On Tuesday, in a 17-minute session with reporters, Thomas said he would trade his young prospects only to obtain a star player.

Thomas did not comment on specific trade rumors, or predict that he would complete a deal by Thursday, but he said that Hardaway's contract remained in play. He indicated that the team's ownership was willing to continue increasing the Knicks' payroll, currently a league-high $120 million.

The Knicks reached the All-Star Game break with a 15-37 record, 10 games out of the playoff field in the Eastern Conference. Thomas did not rule out a deal to save the season, but he also said, "I don't feel like we're in panic mode, that we have to do something."

Thomas added: "We have a coach that wants some relief right now, and if we can satisfy him and do that for him, we will. We won't do anything that compromises our future, but we'll also try to make sure we improve our present."

After signing the Hall of Fame Coach Larry Brown and acquiring center Eddy Curry before the season, the Knicks figured to hover at least around .500 and perhaps grab a playoff berth. For the first time, Thomas said that the team he assembled was much worse than anticipated.

"It's definitely been a disappointment in terms of where we are today," he said, "because we have a great coach, I think we have good players. But for whatever reason, it hasn't come together."

Record aside, Thomas said the Knicks were "still in a better place" than they were a year ago, because the roster has better talent and depth. But he conceded that the current group might have chemistry problems.

"Thus far, you'd have to say that's true," he said, adding, "Maybe it's not the right mix."

Thomas dismissed suggestions that he and Brown had conflicting agendas but did not try to dispel the notion that players had grown weary of Brown's relentless criticism.

"If I could wish for anything right now, I would just wish that the players and the coaches could really find that happy medium," Thomas said, "because when you talk about the chemistry and everything else, that may be a problem."

Thomas, standing firmly behind Brown, said it was up to the players to adapt.

"If the players can't get along with the coach, then the players will have to go," Thomas said. "We're not getting rid of the coach. We're riding with the coach."

------------

As a lifelong Knick-hater, I'm loving this!

:dance2:

CableKC
02-22-2006, 02:15 PM
"It's definitely been a disappointment in terms of where we are today," he said, "because we have a great coach, I think we have good players. But for whatever reason, it hasn't come together."

Record aside, Thomas said the Knicks were "still in a better place" than they were a year ago, because the roster has better talent and depth. But he conceded that the current group might have chemistry problems.

Geez....a 12-year old playin' ball on the streets would have known why this Knicks team "hasn't come together". :rolleyes:

Harddrive7
02-22-2006, 02:29 PM

Since JO LOVED Zeke so much, why not JO for Frye and some junk. Make it complete

SoupIsGood
02-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Since JO LOVED Zeke so much, why not JO for Frye and some junk. Make it complete
:puke:

RSmits
02-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Francis for Ariza and Penny is official.

www.espn.com

That's a pretty good deal for the Knicks from a player standpoint, but awful from a contract standpoint.

Now the question is, where is Crawford going?

btowncolt
02-22-2006, 03:07 PM
Oh wow.

I'm going to love watching the Knicks now. It's like the whole "slow down to gawk at the car wreck" kind of thing.

Frank Slade
02-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Francis for Ariza and Penny is official.

www.espn.com

That's a pretty good deal for the Knicks from a player standpoint, but awful from a contract standpoint.

Now the question is, where is Crawford going?

Will David Stern make a Knick Allowance here and let them play with two Balls?

:eyebrow:.. stay tuned

Raskolnikov
02-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Will David Stern make a Knick Allowance here and let them play with two Balls?

:eyebrow:.. stay tuned
You've been using lots of eyebrows lately. Just an observation.

Frank Slade
02-22-2006, 03:17 PM
You've been using lots of eyebrows lately. Just an observation.
what the? :eyebrow: I think you may have confused me with someone else
:eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow: